Conway Stewart Newsletter

Mary Burke

Hi,

We have just circulated our newsletter featuring information on our new Elegance Pen of the Year 2011. Just in case you can't gain access to your emails, below are several images of the new pen design.

http://mvburke.com/images/limitededitionsfldr/elegancepenoftheyear2011/elegance2011.jpg

http://mvburke.com/images/limitededitionsfldr/elegancepenoftheyear2011/CE1a.jpg

http://mvburke.com/images/limitededitionsfldr/elegancepenoftheyear2011/CE3a.jpg

http://mvburke.com/images/limitededitionsfldr/elegancepenoftheyear2011/CE2a.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Good Captain

• Mary Burke

• Postscript

• akrishna59

But would it make my writing any better?

No.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

At the risk of sounding like a Philistine, it looks garish and ugly to me, subtle and elegant it isn't!

I didn't want to be the first: it reminded me of something a circus performer, albeit a rich one, might use. Give me simple resin pens every time. But then, each to their own.

Edited by The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Elegance "Pen of the Year 2011" as voted by whom? Limiting production to 25 seems a wise move! :roflmho:

As a part time collector of vintage Conway Stewarts I should visit this forum far more often. However the truth is I visit the Esterbrook page more regularly, as I find this area of the board just seems to be an advertising forum for the "New Conway Stewart" company. I note that a WES Nib Block was publicised in the Pen Repair Forum and (very gently) the mods pointed out that its availability should really have been listed on the "market watch" forum. Are standards not applied consistently across all forums?

Elegance "Pen of the Year 2011" as voted by whom? Limiting production to 25 seems a wise move! :roflmho:

As a part time collector of vintage Conway Stewarts I should visit this forum far more often. However the truth is I visit the Esterbrook page more regularly, as I find this area of the board just seems to be an advertising forum for the "New Conway Stewart" company. I note that a WES Nib Block was publicised in the Pen Repair Forum and (very gently) the mods pointed out that its availability should really have been listed on the "market watch" forum. Are standards not applied consistently across all forums?

This is a very good point. However, isn't Mary 'Moderator' linked somewhat heavily with CS anyway? Hope that won't be classed as 'Mod Bashing' - there was enough of that in Brighton etc some years ago!

The Good Captain

http://animatedviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Prisoner-24.JPG

WOW! Does this mean you're going to buy No 6 out of the 25?!

The Good Captain

Please forgive me but I like and collect modern CS pens. I have no problem with this forum, and continue to practice the art of staying positive without needless negativity. Bashing things is so easy with the anonymity of the Internet; but would we do it in person? I would hope not--life is too short.

As for the newest release? Yes, some may consider it garish but others might actually like it. Shall we stop bashing CS pens and continue a dialog that informs both us and CS?

I hope so, thanks,

Post Script

Please forgive me but I like and collect modern CS pens. I have no problem with this forum, and continue to practice the art of staying positive without needless negativity. Bashing things is so easy with the anonymity of the Internet; but would we do it in person? I would hope not--life is too short.

As for the newest release? Yes, some may consider it garish but others might actually like it. Shall we stop bashing CS pens and continue a dialog that informs both us and CS?

I hope so, thanks,

Post Script

thumbup.gif

Rich

Classic Guilloché ------------ www.argentblue.com ------------Damascus Steel

It seems that Conway Stewart always has time to post advertising, but never has time to answer emails with problems. Weird....

Thanks for the info Mary, but I am gonna keep writing with my Montblancs.

Montblanc Limited Edition Collector

My Pen Source

well, somehow i also cant appreciate that pen. hopefully they will come out with other beautiful pens, cs makes beautiful pens.

perhaps someone here would like to say a few words on the theme and inspiration for this pen?

rgds.

krishna.

Edited by akrishna59

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

I've never seen a CS pen in person, but I've certainly looked at their pens online. They seem to have a lot of different styles and personalities, and the pen that starts this thread off is one of them. Not my cup of tea in any way, but that is life. OTOH, there was a photo posted from the SF Pen Show a couple months back of a pen that *really* caught my eye, and I haven't been able to find ANY information about it. If Mary could shed light, or anyone else, I would surely like to know a little more about when or if this pen might be available...

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6054/6252221383_32a8feb230_b.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I hope so, thanks,

Post Script

I don't think it's bashing CS to pass comment on a design. It seems to me that CS is in danger of losing it's way in a desire to make easy profit by recycling basic designs as expensive limited editions. This latest one looks like it was designed by someone who has run out of ideas. Come on CS leave the tasteless pens to Krone.

Mike Bell

I find the Circus reference to the point, the striping reminds me of that on a circustent. Which is OK as many people love the circus, and circuspeople like beautiful pens also.

Alas the reference above by the good captain gave the idea that he equals circuspeople with bad taste.

I like the looks of the pen, but not the fact that it has a metal section. I D have metalsection-pens, but the must be really something for me to get past the metal-section problem. (Such as my Cartier Roman Numerals and my Pelikan Majesty)

In this case I think CS has other pens with a metal section I would prefer.

Edit to add: Mary is both a moderator and a CS representative. Therefor she only publishes pictures and never prices on this forum. And I think that traveling between the USA and UK is the reason she sometimes does not react on questions very fast.

If you have a straight question you can PM her, and normally you will get an answer soon, I am led to beleive.

D.ick

Edited by RMN

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I have to say that I have always found Mary to be incredibly helpful and I like the fact that we get news on the new editions - I have to confess that this particular pen is not for me, but I am sure there will be some fans!

I think the problem here is that there are two Conway Stewarts - the original defunct company and the phoenix. Both have their place - I have a number of examples of each and like them both. Clearly the company which now exists is going to be interested in its products rather than that of the old company but I think this forum allows plenty of debate on both.

I for one am extremely happy how Mary moderates this site and how she keeps us informed of developments and would wish to offer my whole hearted support.