Korybas

The pen is the tongue of the mind

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2011 - 16:39

My fellow FP nuts,

I am so happy today! My Grail Pen arrived: A Parker "51", Forest Green Aerometric from 1949! :bunny01:

I was searching for this particular pen for sometime now, and finally 15 days ago I found it on Ebay UK, at a very affordable price: the seller was asking 85 British pounds for it, I offered 60 (about 95 USD) and he accepted! The pen had a Oblique Medium 14K nib, but since I am addicted to stub nibs now (yeah Ghost Plane, you did manage to corrupt me! :headsmack: ) and the seller was only shipping to the UK, I had him sent the pen to Oxonian, so he would put one of his 14K British wide Medium Stubs. In fact, we made a deal and he kept the OM and put his nib at no extra cost for me.

The pen has no scratches or dents whatsoever - in fact it is in Mint condition and was ultrasonically cleaned by the seller. The pen is correctly dated as 9. (3rd quarter of 1949), was made in the USA, has a gold filled long clip on a lustraloy cap with a mother of pearl jewel on top.

See the photos and tell me your opinion. I think its a very good find and at an affordable price:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The ink I use in it is Noodler's Prime of the Commons; it has this greenish tint that goes well with the Forest Green of the "51" ...

I am soooo happy that if I could I would jump up high and clap my heels together ! :roflmho:

Edited by Korybas, 30 November 2011 - 16:49.

Posted Image

#2 Mhawke7894

Mhawke7894

Extremely Rare

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 17:16

That is just gorgeous! That it my grail pen too. Congrads.

#3 Easterner

Easterner

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 17:28

Very nice pen. You have good reason to be happy!

#4 PenFisher

PenFisher

Antique

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 17:32

Congratulations! You have a wonderful pen in a great color ... I also am very fond of the gold clip on lustraloy. That nib is quite awesome as well ,,, I'd say you have a lifetime keeper :thumbup:

#5 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,081 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2011 - 18:26

+1 on the Gold trimmed Lustraloy, I've bought gold clips/tassels for two of my Aeros.

My Aeros with CI/Stubs are my two most favorite pens.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

#6 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,228 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2011 - 22:00

Mmmm. I sure wish mine had the gold clip (although I shall manage to endure the chrome trim, somehow ;) )
Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

#7 zuku

zuku

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 22:46

Congratulations, that is a beautiful pen, great prize, and great deal!
Enjoy it in good health.

A Fountain Pen is never just a Fountain Pen.

#8 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 12,081 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2011 - 23:13

Mmmm. I sure wish mine had the gold clip (although I shall manage to endure the chrome trim, somehow ;) )

$15 or so from Ernesto for the clips. (I've gotten one for $15, one for $20.)

Bruce in Ocala, FL

#9 ames2688

ames2688

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2011 - 00:47

Where is the year? I have my grandmother's P51 (the nib has just been reground!) and although we are almost certain it was made in 1943 it would still be good to confirm this.

It is a very nice pen! I gave my best friend a P51 for her birthday and she was over the moon! I don't know whether you come across many people in their 20's who get excited about fountain pens...

#10 wvbeetlebug

wvbeetlebug

GO EERS!!!

• Member - Gold

• 2,144 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:02

Very nice!
:thumbup:

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

#11 Korybas

Korybas

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:56

Where is the year? I have my grandmother's P51 (the nib has just been reground!) and although we are almost certain it was made in 1943 it would still be good to confirm this.

Quoting from Richard Binder's site (RichardsPens.com) :

The First System: 1932 to c. 1955
At the right end of the barrel imprint, look for a one- or two-digit number followed by one or more dots. (Some pens also have a date code on the nib.) Early pens have two digits. In this code, the second digit represents the last digit of the year of manufacture. The first digit represents the quarter of the year; 1 indicates the first quarter (January through March), and so on. Thus, a pen with a date code of 46 was made in the fourth quarter of 1936. During the second quarter of 1938, the first digit disappears, to be replaced by a system of dots in which three dots indicate the first quarter, two indicate the second quarter, and one indicates the third quarter. If there are no dots, the pen was made in the fourth quarter. A pen with a date code of 9. was made in the third quarter of 1939.

So, look near the metal ring, on the barrel. If your pen was made in 1943, it should have a 3 with one, two or three dots (no dots if it was made in the last quarter of 1943). On my P51, it says Made in USA and then it has a 9. (one dot); it cannot be from 1939, because its an Aerometric (which was introduced in 1948), so its 1949 (3rd Quarter).
You can also find tons of information about "51" at parker51.com . Hope this helps!

Its nice to hear that today, while the majority of people have forgotten how to write and can only type, there are still persons in their 20s that get excited about FP! :thumbup: I certainly haven't seen this here in Greece!

Edited by Korybas, 01 December 2011 - 07:19.

Posted Image

#12 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• 11,637 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2011 - 20:51

congrats on a nice writer :thumbup:
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time
Posted Image

#13 ThirdeYe

ThirdeYe

Snail Mail Addict

• Member - Gold

• 1,556 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2011 - 21:34

Good for you! That gold clip contrasts nicely with it. I have a 45 in green with a steel cap and the gold clip, and it's a great combination.
Derek's Pens and Pencils
Posted Image
I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

#14 rahulg

rahulg

Vintage is the future

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:54

Congratulations of your wonderful 51. Hope you get many good years' writing out of it. The GF clip looks sharp!

#15 grantstew

grantstew

Near Mint

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2011 - 15:34

Nice 51, forest green 51s are not so easy to come by. Classy colour, reminds me of Jaguar's British racing green.

#16 Korybas

Korybas

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2011 - 17:17

Nice 51, forest green 51s are not so easy to come by. Classy colour, reminds me of Jaguar's British racing green.

Thank you! :embarrassed_smile:
Your comment was on the money!
Posted Image

#17 Bill C

Bill C

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2011 - 17:41

Sweet! Congrats. My first P51 was shipped today after being restored by a gentleman on the forum.

#18 ticoun

ticoun

Sheaffer & Pentax nut

• Member - Gold

• 1,834 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2011 - 21:52

Classy colour, reminds me of Jaguar's British racing green.

+ a lot
it's so true!

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

Take a look at my DeviantART gallery!

#19 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 12,081 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:26

Classy colour, reminds me of Jaguar's British racing green.

+ a lot
it's so true!

As opposed to the Lotus BRG which was lighter.

One of my Sunbeam Tigers was the darker BRG. :drool:

Bruce in Ocala, FL

#20 BillyL

BillyL

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 December 2011 - 22:56

Congratulations on finding your grail pen. I, also found a couple of Parker 51's. Today, I went through my father's stuff that he put away, in a White Owl cigar box. Inside, there were 2 Parker 51's. One, a vacumatic and the other, a 1948 Aerometric. I'm cleaning them up right now. The Aerometric's sac is still in good condition and holds ink well with no leakage. The Vacumatic is not as well preserved. I think that some outside attention is going to be needed. Cool find today. Now, a bit of clean up to do. Anybody know, what to use to clean up the gold cap? Quite a bit of tarnish (dirt) around the jewel/clip.

#21 Korybas

Korybas

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2011 - 17:04

Congratulations on finding your grail pen. I, also found a couple of Parker 51's. Today, I went through my father's stuff that he put away, in a White Owl cigar box. Inside, there were 2 Parker 51's. One, a vacumatic and the other, a 1948 Aerometric. I'm cleaning them up right now. The Aerometric's sac is still in good condition and holds ink well with no leakage. The Vacumatic is not as well preserved. I think that some outside attention is going to be needed. Cool find today. Now, a bit of clean up to do. Anybody know, what to use to clean up the gold cap? Quite a bit of tarnish (dirt) around the jewel/clip.

Congratulations on your find! :thumbup: What colors are your babies?
Posted Image

#22 BillyL

BillyL

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:57

Congratulations on your find! :thumbup: What colors are your babies?

The 51 Vacumatic is a 1946 Dove Grey and the Aerometric is a 1948 Burgundy.

#23 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:09

Just acquired a Forest Green aero myself - 1948. It was described as that when I bought it, and although I can't make out the date code on the barrel, having stripped it right down there is a 1948 date on the nib. The nib is too fine for me, so I'm on the look out for something more exciting for it. It's not as good as the OP's - it's seen a fair bit of use and has a very standard lustraloy cap. But it's very definitely a Jaguar style British Racing Green - nice! :)

#24 Korybas

Korybas

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2012 - 14:43

Congratulations Aysedasi for your find! :thumbup:
I am pretty sure that you could find another P51 nib that is more suited to your writing style from a nib technician or from parker51.com , the Forest Green is quite a rare color, and from 1948 its rare indeed...
Posted Image

#25 J English Smith

J English Smith

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,415 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:19

Affordable 51s are still out there...after a long hiatus, I got a gap filled in my collection...needed a full size grey aerometeic..got it for $29 shipped. I love all of the basic 51 colors. This one started right up and has a nice f nib, hardly any barrel wear, nice frosting. So take heart, 51 lovers!
"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."
-Marlowe, in The Long Goodbye

#26 loudkenny

loudkenny

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:45

Congratulations on finding your 'grail pen'... just in time for the holidays too!

I have two myself - 51's in either Forest Green like yours, or in Midnight Blue. Someday, I'll get lucky myself.

ken