Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Visconti Update About Purple Ink And Update On Their Web Page

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 januaryman

januaryman

Clan Bruce

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2012 - 15:46

No doubt that this Visconti Purple is not as "vibrant" like in Korybas review, and Sandy1 test confirmed it ...

Can someone be kind to suggest a purple ink to resemble that of the "magic reviews" ... If exits already?!

The Diamine Bilberry maybe?

Posted Image

The Sargasso Sea is very nice, but I do not know if it's still for sale to the public, too bad!

In the "Dramatic, with Terrific Shading" category, I point you to Black Swan in North African Violets, a recipe ink, easy to mix up.

UPDATE: I like the less dramatic but great shading ink of Rohrer & Klingner Eisen-Gallus-Tinte Scabiosa (Iron/Gall Nut-ink Scabiosa Purple)

Edited by januaryman, 28 February 2012 - 15:51.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

#32 stesil

stesil

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2012 - 16:09

I recently bought the Pilot Iroshizuku Murasaki-shikibu (review courtesy of: http://fpgeeks.com/2011/12/four-new-pilot-iroshizuku-inks-available-in-japan-now-us-in-2012/). It's very nice, although I would say does not have too much shading.
Per aspera ad astra

#33 colex

colex

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2012 - 16:35

Thanks to all for answer...

I'm waiting for delivery of these inks:
- Visconti Viola/Purple, - Pilot Iroshizuku ASA-GAO - Diamine Sargasso Sea
- Diamine Bilberry

.... To write on FPN a small comparative test.
Bye

pens: Aurora * Delta * Esterbrook * Goldfink * Kaweco * Montblanc * OMAS * Parker * Pelikan * Pilot * Sheaffer * Stilnova * Stipula * TWSBI * Visconti * Waterman

inks:
Aurora * Delta * Diamine * J.Herbin * Pelikan * Pilot Iroshizuku * MB * Noodler's * Omas * Sailor * Visconti * Waterman

#34 Angeldust

Angeldust

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 17:44

Sandy, so sorry if I wasn't clear- I wasn't referring to your review of Storm, I was referring to this one http://www.fountainp...=0 in which it can be seen to be much more vibrant than it is in real life. My comment pertaining to the fact that this is the second purple ink to be reviewed in which it's seemed much more vibrant than it is in real life.

#35 beurling

beurling

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2012 - 18:08

I thought I'd add my scans to the mix...

The first scan below is a fairly good and accurate representation of what i got using a wet writing BB Italic nib ( Pilot )
It looks like i see it on paper ( on my dell widescreen monitor at any rate )
Posted Image

the next two i was mucking about in my HDR Program...the below is an extreme change...
Posted Image

and the final one is a much more gentle smoothing and tinkering with minor settings....

Posted Image

The reason for the 3 different scans ( the original at the top is 600dpi ) is to show how it can look different depending on machine settings...

Aside from being abit bright the first picture is a fairly accurate representation of visconti purple...
The middle picture is stunning in my eyes and closer to the original scan we were all so excited about...

the final is the scan ran through a gentle tone mapping software to take away the brightness....

Hope this helps y'all

Buzz
Keep it Lit. Tally Ho and Semper Fidelis.
www.hmshood.com The Official website of the late great HMS Hood
www.tlzone.net Fabulous forum for the Fabled 1000cc Widowmaker V-Twin

#36 Fabienne

Fabienne

Et nunc, aliquid plene diversum!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 February 2012 - 18:47

Yea, I am in that same boat. Not like the original Greek scan. Sandy's is closer to what I got and that was not what I was wanting. Oh well, it isn't the end of the world.Redder than I thought, less shading by far than I thought. Good lube and it's a pretty Pascal color BUT not what I was aiming for. I have a review in the wings. I suspect it was a different batch but I have a friend who thinks that it's the flex pen pooling ink as it wrote. I am happy that I am not the only person who got a bottle of ink like Sandy did. So I am not that crazy after all.

monamonamonalil.jpg

#37 reprieve

reprieve

tightrope walker

• Member - Gold

• 2,940 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 22:36

I was excited about Visconti Purple, but after all of these reviews I'm glad I haven't ordered it yet. I'll save my money for some of the new Diamine inks.

#38 januaryman

januaryman

Clan Bruce

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:35

Thanks to all for answer...

I'm waiting for delivery of these inks:
- Visconti Viola/Purple, - Pilot Iroshizuku ASA-GAO - Diamine Sargasso Sea
- Diamine Bilberry

.... To write on FPN a small comparative test.
Bye

That's a review I'm looking forward to reading!
It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

#39 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 13:02

Sandy, so sorry if I wasn't clear- I wasn't referring to your review of Storm, I was referring to this one http://www.fountainp...=0 in which it can be seen to be much more vibrant than it is in real life. My comment pertaining to the fact that this is the second purple ink to be reviewed in which it's seemed much more vibrant than it is in real life.

Hi,

I believe I understood your point, especially as I'd only recently reviewed Storm. I posted the link so that one could see the samples of that ink when run through my review process. Ditto for Bilberry.

While I do not care to speculate on how scans may be so different, but the scanners and related s/w have developed to a considerable extent from the previous document scanners that were what I call 'colour capable', but still based on monochrome (Black and White) scanners descended from fax machines. Only when the photo scanners came into the market did I even think about doing my own scanning, coupled with the phasing-out of the CRT monitor - then had to wait for the price drop!

Also, there may be a tendency for one to adjust the scan to better depict a colour. I don't know enough about that, so I use default settings - except for the pen scans, where I play about. I reckon the vagaries of ink production, pen, paper, meniscus shape, etc. are such that they obviate the practical need for a 'professional' scan. (An ex-beau who is a professional photographer was rather surprised at the fidelity of the scans using the default setting: certainly not perfect, but more than fit-for-purpose.)

Bye,
S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#40 beurling

beurling

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 February 2012 - 13:14

Hi,

I believe I understood your point, especially as I'd only recently reviewed Storm. I posted the link so that one could see the samples of that ink when run through my review process. Ditto for Bilberry.

While I do not care to speculate on how scans may be so different, but the scanners and related s/w have developed to a considerable extent from the previous document scanners that were what I call 'colour capable', but still based on monochrome (Black and White) scanners descended from fax machines. Only when the photo scanners came into the market did I even think about doing my own scanning, coupled with the phasing-out of the CRT monitor - then had to wait for the price drop!

Also, there may be a tendency for one to adjust the scan to better depict a colour. I don't know enough about that, so I use default settings - except for the pen scans, where I play about. I reckon the vagaries of ink production, pen, paper, meniscus shape, etc. are such that they obviate the practical need for a 'professional' scan. (An ex-beau who is a professional photographer was rather surprised at the fidelity of the scans using the default setting: certainly not perfect, but more than fit-for-purpose.)

Bye,
S1

Can't argue with any of your reasoning Sandy.

My first scan was just using standard settings at 600dpi... and to be fair to my scanner ( a none photo specific HP ) aside from being a bit on the bright side i'd say it gave a fairly good representation...i look at the paper and the picture i have at the screen at the same time....

Having read alot of reviews on printers and scanners recently ( needing a new printer is the reason ) scan quality does differ a fair amount so it seems from amachine to machine....

Just a thought.

Buzz

#41 Fabienne

Fabienne

Et nunc, aliquid plene diversum!

• Member - Gold

• 2,065 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 February 2012 - 13:49

I used to tweak myself stupid over scans. Everything had to be perfect and nothing was good enough and lather, rinse, repeat. It worked but what a hassle. Then Mike suggested that I calibrate my monitor. I did that and now I am astounded that the scans are turning out just about spot on the first time. I had calibrated it a while back but I think that now, since I am in FPN and extreme accuracy is encouraged, it is imperative that the scanner be tuned every once in a while and so the scan is ever so much better. I was shocked at my scan of Visconti Purple, it was accurate with no fiddling.

My scanner is Canon MX870 and I have to say that it is the berries! I love Canon.

monamonamonalil.jpg

#42 beurling

beurling

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 February 2012 - 13:51

I would get a Canon for photographic needs but unfortunately it works out too expensive for our daily office needs...so we get an all in one that works out relatively cheap :unsure:

How does one calibrate ones monitor Fabienne?

Buzz