Little Secret In Little Rock: The Vanness Pen Shop

Mauricio

I enjoyed visiting with you. I told my husband I want a necklace like yours! Something I might find on FPN?

You never know. But I can put a bug in an ear and see what can be made to happen.... ;)

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vannesspen

• esterbex

• Mauricio

• Truffle Finder

After seeing this very post, my husband (trump321) and I made our way from Memphis down to Little Rock to check out this gem of a store. Man, none of the praise here was hyperbole, I can tell you that. Courteous and attentive service, a selection that made me a little woozy, and fantastic prices. Seriously, I saw pens that I had only ever heard of in hushed tones so that it felt almost like being in the presence of a vaunted celebrity--and I think my grail pen has now become a Dupont... Anyhoo, I just wanted to wave my new blue carbonesque VP and my Iroshizuku and Edelstein inks around in praise of a fantastic brick and mortar that is definitely worth the 2 1/2 hour drive! If you're in the area (or don't mind ordering by phone) show them some love! They definitely deserve it!

Edited by angelofmusic81

looks like we just found the next Pam store :thumbup:

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

After seeing this very post, my husband (trump321) and I made our way from Memphis down to Little Rock to check out this gem of a store. Man, none of the praise here was hyperbole, I can tell you that. Courteous and attentive service, a selection that made me a little woozy, and fantastic prices. Seriously, I saw pens that I had only ever heard of in hushed tones so that it felt almost like being in the presence of a vaunted celebrity--and I think my grail pen has now become a Dupont... Anyhoo, I just wanted to wave my new blue carbonesque VP and my Iroshizuku and Edelstein inks around in praise of a fantastic brick and mortar that is definitely worth the 2 1/2 hour drive! If you're in the area (or don't mind ordering by phone) show them some love! They definitely deserve it!

Thanks for the positive feed back! As you observed- it is so much fun to try the inks and pens in person!

And the carbonesque will soon be a collectible! I always like to find new ink friends!

Hope to see you guys at the Arkansas Pen show- it will be open on Sunday too ( I think one of you works Saturdays?)

vanness1938@sbcglobal.net

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae327/VintagePen/vanness.jpg
Selling fountain pens, ink, paper & related items since 1938

what a lovely post..

it makes me wish i lived in arkansas myself...got any room? :)

Mk1 Parker Duofold Centennial in Blue Marble + GT, Medium arrow nib + broad italic aces nib.Owned since new.Parker Victory Black + GT, wet medium.Conway Stewart #388 Stub.

Mabie Todd Blackbird,semi Flex Nib.Aurora optima green auroloid Stub.Visconti voyger emerald green Broad. Waterman 92 Fine flex

www.hmshood.com The Official website of the late great HMS Hood

Thanks for the positive feed back! As you observed- it is so much fun to try the inks and pens in person!

And the carbonesque will soon be a collectible! I always like to find new ink friends!

Hope to see you guys at the Arkansas Pen show- it will be open on Sunday too ( I think one of you works Saturdays?)

That's the plan! We may even try to finagle a Saturday as well. We'll definitely be back to see you guys anyway--you've still got my Sheaffer! :)

The fan club groweth! cloud9.gif

You Tennessee folk up Nashville and Middle Tennessee way need to make it to this show. Last year's was so much fun that folks are crossing big ponds to join us again. Vanness will be there in full dress....so droolicious! puddle.gif And maybe there'll be a chance to visit the store while you're there? I can't wait!!! bunny01.gif bunny01.gif bunny01.gif

~~Larry Brown

Oh dear. I have the strangest urge to make a field trip :embarrassed_smile: Meanwhile, I found them on Facebook. :thumbup:

Over Christmas I made another visit to Vanness. What a wonderful visit!

Mr. Van Vanness warmly greeted me when I entered and was delighted to spend more than an hour with me showing and discussing pens. I happily left the store with a very nice Visconti Rembrandt pen.

This is the second pen I've purchased from Vanness and it won't be the last.

Their service is phenomenal.

Their selection is superb.

Their prices are competitive (in fact, I've not found a Rembrandt at a better price anywhere).

I'm a happy and very satisfied customer. (And thankfully for my wallet, one that lives 10 hours away :lol: )

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

You Tennessee folk up Nashville and Middle Tennessee way need to make it to this show. Last year's was so much fun that folks are crossing big ponds to join us again. Vanness will be there in full dress....so droolicious! puddle.gif And maybe there'll be a chance to visit the store while you're there? I can't wait!!! bunny01.gif bunny01.gif bunny01.gif

Last year we did an evening open house after the show- I may do it again. We can't take it all to the show- and this year we are helping behind the scenes some so we may have only three tables - but are considering asking Sheaffer to come.... and are getting door prizes from - tba

Last year we did an evening open house after the show- I may do it again. We can't take it all to the show- and this year we are helping behind the scenes some so we may have only three tables - but are considering asking Sheaffer to come.... and are getting door prizes from - tba

Sheaffer? Door prizes from ??? puddle.gif OK, I think I will just be a punter that weekend and roam around with the milieu and throw my name in that hat.....Ummm....Are pen club members excluded from the drawing? Can I rescind my membership? blink.gif

Just plotting here....ph34r.gif

~~Larry Brown

i hope to one day set up a pen shop..i only hope my service can be half as good as yours..kudos to you all notworthy1.gif

Mk1 Parker Duofold Centennial in Blue Marble + GT, Medium arrow nib + broad italic aces nib.Owned since new.Parker Victory Black + GT, wet medium.Conway Stewart #388 Stub.

Mabie Todd Blackbird,semi Flex Nib.Aurora optima green auroloid Stub.Visconti voyger emerald green Broad. Waterman 92 Fine flex

www.hmshood.com The Official website of the late great HMS Hood

We would not exclude anyone- but it may not be Sheaffer- I had talkedto them last fall and they seemed positive- also in talks with another pen company- Its hard to follow up last years Conway Stewart-

Sheaffer? Door prizes from ??? puddle.gif OK, I think I will just be a punter that weekend and roam around with the milieu and throw my name in that hat.....Ummm....Are pen club members excluded from the drawing? Can I rescind my membership? blink.gif

Just plotting here....ph34r.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Will be stopping by your place just to say "Hi" I hope. cloud9.gif

My daughter has a B-ball game this afternoon and now that I know where you are it will be difficult to bypass your exit.roflmho.gif

eta: Unexpected availability of Diamine Bilberry rescinded my notion of keeping my purse closed. A pad of G Lalo A4 in ivory and a pen case found their way in as well. :blush:

Edited by esterbex

~~Larry Brown

• 2 weeks later...

So this is getting to be a regular thing....stopping by this place on the way to and fro....headsmack.gif

Today, with queries only in hand, I left with 3 bottles of iroshizuku ink (my wallet felt considerably lighter, though the prices were very good) and would have had an additional VP nib unit in broad if it'd been in stock (but now it's ordered). I fingered a blue TWSBI 540, and saw the mate to one of the auction items/door prizes(?) for the show in March....OMG such drool. puddle.gif The winner of any of the proposed items will be very happy no matter which one they are lucky enough to snag. I hope I am so favoured! bunny01.gif

( I think I should not ponder upon moving closer to this enchanting spot....I'd be bankrupt in a year or less!)

~~Larry Brown

So this is getting to be a regular thing....stopping by this place on the way to and fro....headsmack.gif

Today, with queries only in hand, I left with 3 bottles of iroshizuku ink (my wallet felt considerably lighter, though the prices were very good) and would have had an additional VP nib unit in broad if it'd been in stock (but now it's ordered). I fingered a blue TWSBI 540, and saw the mate to one of the auction items/door prizes(?) for the show in March....OMG such drool. puddle.gif The winner of any of the proposed items will be very happy no matter which one they are lucky enough to snag. I hope I am so favoured! bunny01.gif

( I think I should not ponder upon moving closer to this enchanting spot....I'd be bankrupt in a year or less!)

It is always great to see a pen friend! FPN friend also admiring the TWSBI- He "knew you" by way of this great site!

We forgot about the scented inks! I can give you the rest a small bottle when next we visit!

As soon as I am allowed I will post pictures of these wonderful door prizes!

• 3 months later...

Hi, Vanness folks!

Do you expect to be at the D.C. show in August 2012?

I've been reading such great things about you that seeing you there would be a treat.

Thanks,

Erica

Having grown up mostly in Arkansas and spent (by the best quick math I can muster) 15 of my years there, I'm sorry I never found you guys. I didn't catch the fountain pen bug until after I'd long moved on. If my travels find me back there, I'll be sure to stop by.

Best!

• 1 year later...

Going to be in Little Rock tomorrow, will DEFINITELY stop by.

Can't wait to meet you! We have several new inks in the store- not even on the website! Maybe Esterbex will come by- She just moved to Little Rock. We appreciate the positive feedack. Sometimes us old brick and mortars feel a little lost among the new website companies.