• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gordonf35

• Shangas

• Scrawler

• voop

Any boss who would discriminate against you for your pen use, something that does not limit or negatively impact your productivity, will find something to nitpick about--if not your pen, your shoes, bag/briefcase, hair, clothes, may be too nice or not nice enough. If using your pen is net neutral or better, and you're still performing top notch, I say own it. Your coworkers may think you a bit eccentric, but in the end, your performance matters more than what they say. Lincoln's (alleged) comments on Grant's drinking come to mind...

I think a Fountain Pen is a great way to express who you are and where you are in life. I am poor so I can't afford the expensive pens yet but that's fine because I don't have expensive tastes. Be proud of your pen and show it off as often as you can!

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

I hate to bring this up but, if your boss is from Asia, I would not be using a clearly more expensive pen then him. (I am based in Asia)

If you don't mind my asking, what does nationality have to do with anything?

I believe everyone here will agree, there is no issue using a fountain pen in front of your boss, just watch out for the type you use depending on your environment.

Use what you LIKE. Not what will appease god. You only live once and if someone is narrowminded enough to make a fuss about a pen, perhaps you should start looking for work with other people. Cowardice never got anyone anywhere.

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

It's interesting to see the different advice due to differences in cultural backgrounds. Western cultures tend to individualism, where people are respected for doing what they like regardless of "status" or station. Eastern cultures tend to have these subtle obligations that people perform due to status or station.

You're going to get a very different answer to this question depending on the demographics of the answerers.

Steve

I get the eyeroll on occasion.

It is a great ice-breaker if lawyers are at a meeting, at least one of them will be a watch or FP enthusiast.

I hate to bring this up but, if your boss is from Asia, I would not be using a clearly more expensive pen then him. (I am based in Asia)

I believe everyone here will agree, there is no issue using a fountain pen in front of your boss, just watch out for the type you use depending on your environment.

Use what you LIKE. Not what will appease god. You only live once and if someone is narrowminded enough to make a fuss about a pen, perhaps you should start looking for work with other people. Cowardice never got anyone anywhere.

Nationality nothing, up-bringing and culture everything. In most East Asian culture, it is consider impolite to out shine your boss. I am talking about office environments where for example you arrive before the boss and only leave after he leaves. Social norms in these countries is different from other places. Traditionalist bosses in this countries expect protocol to be followed, and the social norm is to follow until you know it is safe to do otherwise. In fact, during a trade mission to Japan a few years back, some of the members did not follow the social protocol during an official visit and we were told after the event via the back channel that is rude and not showing respect to the host. Getting the wrong type of first impression will not help anyone.

I don't personally subscribe to the above of not outshining your boss and so on. But the situation is that it is more a culture thing that you have to be aware of. I fully understand the view that you should do whatever you want and not to worry about it. Heck, I stayed in Australia for 10 years. In asia, "face" is still extremely important. Read the situation and consider the working environment you are in.

From The Sunny Island of Singapore

Straits Pen Distributors and Dealers of Craft Rinkul, JB Perfect Pen Flush, Ohto Japan, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot Pen, Private Reserve Inks, Schrade Tactical Pens, Smith & Wesson Pens, Noodler's Ink LLC Pens, TWSBI Inc and Waterman in Singapore

Disclosure: I do nib work for others and am affiliated with those which do. I also sell and represent certain brands of pens.

It's interesting to see the different advice due to differences in cultural backgrounds. Western cultures tend to individualism, where people are respected for doing what they like regardless of "status" or station. Eastern cultures tend to have these subtle obligations that people perform due to status or station.

You're going to get a very different answer to this question depending on the demographics of the answerers.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

From The Sunny Island of Singapore

Straits Pen Distributors and Dealers of Craft Rinkul, JB Perfect Pen Flush, Ohto Japan, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot Pen, Private Reserve Inks, Schrade Tactical Pens, Smith & Wesson Pens, Noodler's Ink LLC Pens, TWSBI Inc and Waterman in Singapore

Disclosure: I do nib work for others and am affiliated with those which do. I also sell and represent certain brands of pens.

Being the new guy, you need to answer a few questions: does being an iconoclast matter to you or would you rather blend-in. I don't think that any manager/supervisor would care about your choice of writing implement, but be prepared to be noticed in a world of throw-away BPs. I've worked in IT for over 30 years and have used my fountain pens (MB, Montegrappa, Parker, Visconti among others) without concern, HOWEVER I have heard more than a few odd comments. While working at one multi-national bank with a reputation for catering to the mega rich my then manager looked at my Montegrappa and said "look at the old fashioned pen". I was always surprised at how few of these senior management types, including the firm's partners, used the company supplied Papermate pens. Bottom line is that they probably won't care but will very likely notice.

It's not that they will or should care. I would feel rude going in with a MB (and super nervous about losing it). The boss would most likely not care, but I'd feel uncomfortable. That's part of the reason I like the look of the Parker 51. No one realizes I'm using a FP unless they actually care about pens. :ninja:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

+1 for the cultural difference

I am glad to start a topic like this :thumbup:

GORDON KY

Collection: Waterman 52 Ideal Red Ripple (Super Flex), MB Starwalker (Medium nib), Lamy Safari (1.1 stub nib), Waterman Hemisphere (Extra Fine), Parker 51 (Cursive Italic nib), Pilot Vanishing Point (Stub nib), Sheaffer PFM V Green (Rare Factory Stub), Noodler Ahab (Flex nib)

Used pens in front of my bosses for 40+ years and never even considered whether or not it was appropriate.

To paraphrase Homer Simpson, "I'd just wave it in his stupid monkey face, and he'd have to sit there groovin' on it."

In all seriousness, I use FPs in all work settings, and have never had any issues.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

I am from Asia, and indeed it's consider impolite to out shine the bosses. I had used a Parker 51 demi in front of my boss (he is from Taiwan), and he uses a bic to sign all documents. So far no one realizes the 51 is a fountain pen.

English is not my mother tongue, please excuse me.

Nationality nothing, up-bringing and culture everything. In most East Asian culture, it is consider impolite to out shine your boss. I am talking about office environments where for example you arrive before the boss and only leave after he leaves. Social norms in these countries is different from other places. Traditionalist bosses in this countries expect protocol to be followed, and the social norm is to follow until you know it is safe to do otherwise. In fact, during a trade mission to Japan a few years back, some of the members did not follow the social protocol during an official visit and we were told after the event via the back channel that is rude and not showing respect to the host. Getting the wrong type of first impression will not help anyone.

I don't personally subscribe to the above of not outshining your boss and so on. But the situation is that it is more a culture thing that you have to be aware of. I fully understand the view that you should do whatever you want and not to worry about it. Heck, I stayed in Australia for 10 years. In asia, "face" is still extremely important. Read the situation and consider the working environment you are in.

Thanks for the reply, I was really curious about this.

But still, I wouldn't care, make a difference, or change anything, regardless of the environment. I am who I am and if I found myself in such a situation...I would still use whatever pen I damn well pleased. I refuse to kowtow to anyone just because they don't like my personal preferences.

i use my FPs in front of my boss at work al the time, but my boss is also my mother... It's your pen, do what you want with it. what the others think should not make you feel bad about using your FPs, even your most expensive ones.

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

My boss knows I use fountain pens. A couple of days ago, he said, "I saw this really cool fountain pen, and I thought of you." He went on to describe what was probably a Conklin Mark Twain Crescent Filler. Fountain pens make you memorable and, I think, cool!

"A kingdom for a stage, princes to act,

And monarchs to behold the swelling scene!"

What is the big deal and what are you afraid of.....

You use fountain pens.... others use ballpoints, roller balls or pencils.... so what

The problem is one of perceived status. In the world I live in a fountain pen is an item of status. If you are using an MB in an office where the boss uses a Bic, it shows that you and he have different value systems. If he has the wrong sensibilities he may well see the use of a high status item as a challenge to his manhood and authority.

i use my FPs in front of my boss at work al the time, but my boss is also my mother... It's your pen, do what you want with it. what the others think should not make you feel bad about using your FPs, even your most expensive ones.

Quoted for Truth. Your mother is very wise.

The problem is one of perceived status. In the world I live in a fountain pen is an item of status. If you are using an MB in an office where the boss uses a Bic, it shows that you and he have different value systems. If he has the wrong sensibilities he may well see the use of a high status item as a challenge to his manhood and authority.

With sensibilities like that, I'd be challenging his manhood and authority as well.

Edited by Shangas

Go with whatever you feel my comfortable. I use multiple fountain pens in every meeting, and I meet with very senior people running big IT companies. Most just think I am somewaht eccentric . A few take an interest and want to hear more. My boss now uses a fountain pen after working with me for a couple of years. In the end, he couldn't resist. Now 70% of the company uses FPs, at least some of the time, and I have even infected other IT analysts, not a group known for favouring "antique" technology.

I should add, that I am anything but junior, but I have always used a fountain pen regradless of what anyone else has or my place, perceived or real, on the totem pole.

I work in IT. I use multiple fountain pens to get the colours I need in my diagrams. I do not believe that just because they work with modern computer technology that they eschew all things "antique". IT people are known for their eccentricities and I have worked both in Europe and North America with people who use pocket watches, wind up mechanical watches and fountain pens. Many of the people I have worked with favour things that have lasted. If you did a survey of FPN I bet a significant number work in IT, as programmers, analysts and systems managers.

I have a new boss, a Marine, and younger than me. I used a Parker 51 in front of him and he asked to use it to sign my expense report. He took a look at it, a strange look and signed his name. He handed it back to me and asked me what it was. He shook his head and now never comes into my office without a pen in his hand.

lticaptd.gif

PMS

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson