Osmia 448

Parcival

I had not seen any other time such a pen. I just read about it. This is the largest Osmia Faber Castell - 14.1 cm, was produced in Germany in the 1950's. When I saw on eBay, I decided I should buy it. I paid 148 euros or about $ 200. The pen arrived a week ago and is already in my collection. :happyberet:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Parcival

• Khufu

• Azuniga

• Kaweco

Top Posters In This Topic

It is possible that I should have paid more than worth the pen. I have not seen any other time such a pen and do not know exactly what is its value. I have many pens Osmia - over 20. This is the biggest model of all time and I had to have it. Whether I will pay more euros 20-30-50 does not matter. This is a top model of Osmia Faber Castell in the 50's. Its price was 35 DM. For comparison - the price of Pelikan 500 /tortoise with rolled gold cap/ was 38 DM, Montblanc's: 142 - 38.50 DM, 256 - 32.50 DM, 254 - 28.50 DM... I think this pen is very, very rare.

Edited by Parcival

Very nice. :sick: Envy....

Except the price. :yikes:

Congratulations :thumbup:

Thanks for the prices.

I got to Germany in '64 in the days of 4 to 1.

I copied the info.

In the '60's I don't remember the cost of a Snorkel but think $12 comes to mind.

A small beer was a dime (40 pfennings), a pint was twenty cents (80 pfennings)...and one had to scrabble hard to get $0.50 to go drinking with the boys on a Friday night. If you maintained you could drink at 15, sixteen was legal.

At 16 for a big date, I picked the girl up with a taxi. We drove a few miles to a good Gasthaus and had JagerSchnitzel and French fries for DM 6.80 apiece and a couple of beers. We took the cab home and I had money left over from the $5.00 bill. In the Day of the Almighty Dollar.

A lot of $8-9 pens...but wages were low in both countries. @ 1960 minimum wage climbed to $1.00, so a $10 pen was still very expensive. Gas was 17-20 cents a gallon. New Three bedroom house for $22,000.

"""This is a top model of Osmia Faber Castell in the 50's.

Its price was 35 DM. For comparison - the price of Pelikan 500 /tortoise with rolled gold cap/ was 38 DM, Montblanc's: 142 - 38.50 DM, 256 - 32.50 DM, 254 - 28.50 DM... I think this pen is very, very rare."""

I re-hdrated but will still eventually have to re-cork two of my Osmia-Faber-Castell's this week.

I inked them today for the first time. Before I'd only dipped them.I've had them a while but was going to 're-cork' but ran out of pens, having too many new inks. I lucked out. I tried for days instead of just one day, flipping the pens from nib up to nib down so the water could 'flow' around the cork from both sides.

One the 883 F, has I think a #2 nib; it is small. Gold Supra nib....'flexi' F. :cloud9:

The second a 63 with a regular Osmia steel #3 BBL, was so 'unused' the name Osmia and the 3 in the little diamond of the nib, still has some gold in the nib markings. Sort of a nice bit of class for a steel nib. It is not 'left over' gold plate. It is a semi-flex (+) BBL. :cloud9: A writing nib, not a signature nib. :thumbup:

There is now a war in my top five nibs; with those two Osmia nibs coming out of 'retirement' in the bottom five like that.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I like Osmia pens.I bought many Osmia's at different prices - from 15 - 20 euros to 60 euros. I bought jade green lady Parker Duofold Osmia with Parker - Osmia 1 nib for $ 150 and Orange Osmia Extra like Big Red Duofold for about 160 euros.

I really do not know what the price of this pen. I have not seen another. It is possible I paid a high price. I was looking for this model, I wanted to have it and bought it. :happyberet:

Now I'm looking for Osmia 446, 48 and 78. What is reasonable price for these models? 80 - 100 euros? If someone offers such a pen, please let me know. I am interested in models Minor, Normal and Extra that look like Parker Duofold, and Parker Duofold produced in the factory Osmia. :rolleyes:

I like Osmia too, two more of my pens re-hydrated.

A 62 with a ML, regular semi-flex number 3 Osmia nib. A nice wet writing nib, with R&K Alt Gold-yellow.

The forth and last Osmia was a BCHR mdl 76.

It is a medium large pen as big as a Pelikan 605.

The nib is a large perhaps size 6 Supra EF. If held high, it writes a F, if held low it writes EF.

Even though the nib will spread 4 X a light down stroke, it is more like a semi-flex, than the expected maxi-semi-flex/'flexi' of a Supra nib.

One of my Osmia's with the regular 3 in a diamond Osmia nib though is maxi-semi-flex/'flexi' instead of the expected semi-flex....so it balances out.

I am ever so happy that four of my 8 Osmia-Boehler pens are working...and all it took was soaking for 3-4 days instead of one.

Two more are going bathing...who knows how many times lighting can strike the same place.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 1 month later...

This time I think I made ​​a better deal. 3 Osmia Supra - 44, 46 and 48, from 40's - maybe wartime or early postwar, with Osmia Supra gold plated nibs, in mint /NOS/ condition, each at a price € 33.83 + € 10 for shipping - total € 111.49 = about $ 145. :rolleyes:

If the information in your picture is correct,perhaps you

paid more because your pen was considered Supra size.

Earlier models in the Supra size were always valued a little

higher than the regular size.

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

congrats on an outstanding osmia :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Nice pens!

Recently i bought this Osmia Supra Progres with big 14k Osmia Supra nib. Gorgeous patterned celluloid.

Very cool pen!

Waiting to be cleaned... otherwise great condition.

I am happy to have this rare pen:)

http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/49489/2248516770105163080S600x600Q85.jpg

Edited by Khufu

Wow. Nice pen. I still do not have one. Rarely sold at high prices. Which number is your pen and nib?

I recently bought a similar pencil.

Hello,

Just the idea that someone is writing about Osmia and showing their pens is great. I have quite a good amount of them, not a 448 unfortunately. I have an Adler and a Symetra both also manufactured by Osmia during the period they worked together with Parker. Late today in my town there is not good light anymore. Tomorrow I will post some images. I am sure you will enjoy some of those pens.

Thanks for your thoughts and sharing informtation on Osmia, a great pen !!!!

The pencil is just great :thumbup:

Wow. Nice pen. I still do not have one. Rarely sold at high prices. Which number is your pen and nib?

I recently bought a similar pencil.

Hi,

Nice pencil!!

Osmia Progress Supra 196F

585 Osmia Supra flexible nib (photo will post tomorrow)

I think it is worth to be cleaned and operational again. It is really gorgeous and high quality pen. Nice and chunky:)

I will try to rehydrate it, it usually helped with most cork piston fillers i have.

Edited by Khufu

Azuniga, I'll be glad to see your pens Osmia. I'm waiting for photos. :thumbup:

Khufu, this is the largest diamond decorations pen model. I am looking for such a pen. Soon, one such was sold on eBay, but I was planning on other purchases. Next week I bought from that seller pencil.

Azuniga, I'll be glad to see your pens Osmia. I'm waiting for photos. :thumbup:

Khufu, this is the largest diamond decorations pen model. I am looking for such a pen. Soon, one such was sold on eBay, but I was planning on other purchases. Next week I bought from that seller pencil.

Thank you for model specification.

I was thinking to have done a good deal - 20euro i paid for it and the seller was very happy:) As was i.

Osmia Progress uses some membrane filling system. It seems not to be classic piston. Do you know how it operates?

Edited by Khufu

Bravo. € 20 is at least 10 times lower than the actual price of the pen. At least in my opinion.

I have 2 Osmia Progress - black 192 and 194, but keep them as I bought. I'm not trying to repair my pens because I usually break them.

Bravo. € 20 is at least 10 times lower than the actual price of the pen. At least in my opinion.

I have 2 Osmia Progress - black 192 and 194, but keep them as I bought. I'm not trying to repair my pens because I usually break them.

Those are expensive pens.

Well i always try to understand how it operates and fix it if necessary. I love to restore my pens. I have learnt all here in forum!! Great people here.

btw I have also ruined some of my pens, but that´s the price.

I am sure i will find some info about Progress system here on forum.

Nice Sunday!

Well i always try to understand how it operates and fix it if necessary. I love to restore my pens. I have learnt all here in forum!! Great people here.

Nice Sunday!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/36846-osmia/ :happyberet:

Nice Sunday!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/36846-osmia/ :happyberet:

Thanks for link!

It looks to be very interesting filling system. I have never seen something like this. It won´t be the next pen i will restore :D

Edited by Khufu

These are the pens I mentioned yesterday, any information about them is welcomed...

Above: Osmia 54 (M) LF Black

From left to right:

64 G PF Black

Osmia progress Supra 294 (F) PF Green stiated

Osmia 44 (F) PBF marbled red

Osmia Supra Lux Extra PBF Black and Pearl

Osmia 226 BL PBF Lapis blue

Osmia Extra Black (A very curious filling system with a little ball you pull and push, it functions similarly to a PBF, your knowledge in this matters would be appreciated)

Osmia 12 PBF Black and Bronze

Osmia Supra normal 36 PBF Coral Red

Osmia Brillant 56 EFK - PF Black

Osmia 64 M PBF Black and silver lines (similar to the one we saw here before)

Osmia 64 BL PF Black

Below:

Osmia 64 M Safety, produced for Böhler (the barrel says "Original Böhler")