Montblanc Blue-Black

Sandy1

Aha! Just saw your review of MB Midnight Blue, and this is the ink that's replacing the Blue Black. Good show. I'll get a bottle asap. :thumbup:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• wastelanded

• fenriz

• KarloT

I think it really just depends on the nib. I quite like MB Blue-black. It has dried out overnight in about half of the pens I've tried it in. It starts right up after a bit of coaxing, but writes reliably once it gets started. Some pens don't require that extra bit of doodling, though. It works especially well in my broad-nibbed Lamy 2000, which is my dedicated iron-gall ink pen.

Hi,

Thanks for identifying a specific pen that avoids overnight nib dry-out, even though it is not a fully hooded nib. :thumbup:

That leads me to consider the Parker 45: semi-hooded nib, can be taken to bits without tools for cleaning, and NOS nibs in various grades and materials are available at modest cost. I'll give it a go, then post my findings in a few days.

Bye,

S1

Hi all,

As a follow-up to the above:

I tried the MBBlBk in my Parker 45 Flighter with a steel M nib.

The start-up after sitting idle for intervals from eight hours to one day yielded the same results: a slight hesitation resulting in a very few mm of virga. So start-up is not with total confidence, but there was no need to dip the pen to rouse the ink.

That said, I'd still draw a quick figure eight before writing something that must not show any hesitation or uneven density, such as a signature.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

snip

can we still get this ink?

snip

Hi,

MB Blue-Black was discontinued, so the opportunity to purchase some is limited to old stock, likely from private individuals rather than the usual Vendors.

Please be aware that some Vendors may not have updated their [web] catalogues to indicate the switch to the Midnight Blue. I suggest confirming with a Vendor by phone or email that they are selling 50ml bottles of the BlBk, not the 60ml bottles of the current Midnight Blue.

If you do find a source of the discontinued BlBk, please let us know.

Bye,

S1

• 2 months later...

@Sandy1

I just got my Blue-Black ESS registrars today. I'm curious if you see a big distinction between MB blue-black, ESS blue-black and Diamine Registrars.

Hi,

I have provided a three-way Comparison of MBMBl, ESSRI & MBBlBk here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/217013-comparison-mb-midnight-blue-ecclesiastical-stationery-supples-registrars-ink-mb-blue-black/page__view__findpost__p__2281566

I do not use Diamine Registrars Ink, so that was not included. I invite other Members to post additional comparisons using that and other inks of interest.

Bye,

S1

• 6 months later...

so, yeah, this ink ate the nib off of my Jinhao

The voice of this guitar of mine, at the awakening of the morning, wants to sing its joy;

I sing to your volcanoes, to your meadows and flowers, that are like mementos of the greatest of my loves;

If I am to die away from you, may they say I am sleeping, and bring me back home.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

*nom, nom

I do feel bad for you though. I hope it wasn't a more expensive one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing"-Socrates

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi,

How unfortunate! :o

To help us see what happened, would you be so kind as to post a photo of the nib.

Also, how many years did it take for the nib to be eaten?

In light of your experience, perhaps we should re-assess loss prevention & risk management for some nib types/sources.

Bye,

S1

:ltcapd:

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

0.0384 years, will post a pic soon

I just lost my sarcasm detector too!

The voice of this guitar of mine, at the awakening of the morning, wants to sing its joy;

I sing to your volcanoes, to your meadows and flowers, that are like mementos of the greatest of my loves;

If I am to die away from you, may they say I am sleeping, and bring me back home.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

0.0384 years, will post a pic soon

I just lost my sarcasm detector too!

Hi,

I apologise if you feel slighted by my Reply to your Post. I did not intend any sarcasm.

At times I do poke fun at myself & others, and try to make that obvious, but this was not one of those times. I consider FPN to be one of the most convivial places in cyberspace, otherwise I would simply not be here.

You had taken the time to reply to one of my Reviews, and I made the effort to respond in a way that may increase understanding and confidence through exchange of experience and ideas.

As this ink was discontinued some time ago, I had the impression that you'd been using it for years before noticing a problem. (The well-regarded Richard Binder has indicated that any damage to a stainless steel nib caused by the acidity of an ink alone would take many years to manifest.)

I feel it is important to address instances, however rare, when a pen may be at risk from an ink - whether it be from deterioration, staining, clogging, etc.

Bye,

S1

I'm fairly sure that Montblanc Blue-Black corroded the plating around the nib section of my Waterman Le Man 200. I didn't realize it was the ink, didn't know anything about iron gall. Didn't diminish my enjoyment of the pen, although I am alert now that iron gall is something I need to be more careful of, cleaning the pen more frequently, for instance, and not using it with plated nib sections.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I'll stick to the Safari with IG inks for now. They tear down easily, and nibs are cheap.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

I'm fairly sure that Montblanc Blue-Black corroded the plating around the nib section of my Waterman Le Man 200. I didn't realize it was the ink, didn't know anything about iron gall. Didn't diminish my enjoyment of the pen, although I am alert now that iron gall is something I need to be more careful of, cleaning the pen more frequently, for instance, and not using it with plated nib sections.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience. :thumbup:

I share your concern about the durability of the plated rings (ferrules) at the nib-end of the section. It seems those are prone to run-ins with caps and ink bottle openings that may weaken the plating, with some pens being more susceptible than others. My Waterman Opera gets extra special care, just because of the iffy plating on the ferrule; so far so good.

Also, the ferrules are exposed to any inky vapours / condensation in the cap, so that would increase their exposure to any acids present in the ink beyond the time that the pen was inked, (pen immersed in ink bottle), then wiped clean with a damp cloth.

On the same note, one might consider the risk exposure to deterioration of metal parts within the cap upon extended exposure to vapours of acidic inks. And to remember to cleanse a cap's internals before and after using an I-G ink.

Bye,

S1

I'll stick to the Safari with IG inks for now. They tear down easily, and nibs are cheap.

Hi,

I think that each person has their own comfort zone, which is great!

I started using this ink as it came bundled in a presentation case with a MB149, (my third pen.) So perhaps that gives some insight as to my rather large comfort zone with I-G inks.

Bye,

S1

Hi,

I think that each person has their own comfort zone, which is great!

I started using this ink as it came bundled in a presentation case with a MB149, (my third pen.) So perhaps that gives some insight as to my rather large comfort zone with I-G inks.

Bye,

S1

I'm sure in time I'll get better!

• 1 year later...

I started using this ink with my Platinum #3776 F nib, as I hesitated using it with my 149. My rationale is that I can easily clean the converter based fountain pen vis-a-vis the piston filler.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

I started using this ink with my Platinum #3776 F nib, as I hesitated using it with my 149. My rationale is that I can easily clean the converter based fountain pen vis-a-vis the piston filler.

The Platinum nib and feed are friction-fit, so can simply be pulled out for thorough rinsing :thumbup:

✒️ :happyberet: