Noodler's Ahab Flex Pen

SamCapote

I conducted a similar experiment with a Jinhao :embarrassed_smile: . The nibs swap easily. The Noodler's nib was slightly larger but both nibs worked in both pens. The Noodler's nib looked very out of place in the Jinhao body, but it performed flawlessly. As I said, this was a late night experiment probably fueled by too much tea. As I much prefer the Noodler's pen, I switched the nibs back. The nib from the Jinhao that I put in the Noodler's is a "Genius" iridium point Germany. It wrote smoothly in the Noodler's but again, I prefer the Noodler's nib. So, I already had the best of both worlds before I began the experiment. Now, if someone had an extra vintage number six nib with full flex, that might be a different story.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SamCapote

• watch_art

• JonB55198

• Phormio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I conducted a similar experiment with a Jinhao :embarrassed_smile: . The nibs swap easily. The Noodler's nib was slightly larger but both nibs worked in both pens. The Noodler's nib looked very out of place in the Jinhao body, but it performed flawlessly. As I said, this was a late night experiment probably fueled by too much tea. As I much prefer the Noodler's pen, I switched the nibs back. The nib from the Jinhao that I put in the Noodler's is a "Genius" iridium point Germany. It wrote smoothly in the Noodler's but again, I prefer the Noodler's nib. So, I already had the best of both worlds before I began the experiment. Now, if someone had an extra vintage number six nib with full flex, that might be a different story.

The vintage flex nibs I've seen have all been #2. However, you should be able to get a new custom semi or full flex 14K nib here:

http://meisternibs.com/

Also I believe Richard Binder, John Mottishaw, Greg Minuskin and a few other nib technicians offer new custom flex nibs.

How's the smell? My Noodler's large rollerball still has a..."fragrance" that makes me uneasy when I uncap it.

Wow I thought that was just me. Love the pen, but the smell makes me queasy. I plan on leaving it out in the fresh air for awhile. But to repeat, I like the pen, the value and how it writes. Worth my $20.

I don't have any experience with the Ahab (yet!), but sunlight and fresh air may do the trick. I have a small wine fridge that had a plastic off-gassing smell, and I left it sitting open facing the sun one day. The smell gone as far as my nose can detect.

How's the smell? My Noodler's large rollerball still has a..."fragrance" that makes me uneasy when I uncap it.

Wow I thought that was just me. Love the pen, but the smell makes me queasy. I plan on leaving it out in the fresh air for awhile. But to repeat, I like the pen, the value and how it writes. Worth my $20.

I don't have any experience with the Ahab (yet!), but sunlight and fresh air may do the trick. I have a small wine fridge that had a plastic off-gassing smell, and I left it sitting open facing the sun one day. The smell gone as far as my nose can detect.

Initially the smell was a sweetish ... slightly acrid smell although I noticed today that there is also a slight unpleasantness to the odour.

However, fresh air wouldn't be amiss. I'd caution generous sunlight though. UV has never been good for resin, urushi or really anything other than plants!

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

I got a demo too. Believe it or not, The other other demo I had was the TWSBI 540... and it took me over a year of collecting fountain pens to get that one. So for the first year, I didn't have any demos. Some people have entire collections of demos. Pelikan even makes an M1000 demo now I've heard... so weird.

At first I didn't like the demostrator models, but in the past few days just reading around I've stumbled upon several pictures and I'm growing fond of them. I think i'll pick up an Ahab clear and then a 540 TWSBI.

Here, my goodies :o

Today I was able to use the blue pen and I LOVE the noodlers blue ink. It has a very bright and deep color to it without being too overwhelming. I tried the red one for a bit but I had a couple issues with dripping ink. I know there were some issues with the Ahabs regarding flow of ink so I'll have to read up on that. So far...very happy with the purchases!

Since you have those nice Ahabs, you might be interested in Noodler's two newest colors: Charon's Panther and Pink Tiger. Both will available in limited quantities.

http://fpgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Noodlers-Ahab-Fountain-pen-Charons-Panther-crop-300x240.jpg

I got a demo too. Believe it or not, The other other demo I had was the TWSBI 540... and it took me over a year of collecting fountain pens to get that one. So for the first year, I didn't have any demos. Some people have entire collections of demos. Pelikan even makes an M1000 demo now I've heard... so weird.

At first I didn't like the demostrator models, but in the past few days just reading around I've stumbled upon several pictures and I'm growing fond of them. I think i'll pick up an Ahab clear and then a 540 TWSBI.

Here, my goodies :o

Today I was able to use the blue pen and I LOVE the noodlers blue ink. It has a very bright and deep color to it without being too overwhelming. I tried the red one for a bit but I had a couple issues with dripping ink. I know there were some issues with the Ahabs regarding flow of ink so I'll have to read up on that. So far...very happy with the purchases!

Since you have those nice Ahabs, you might be interested in Noodler's two newest colors: Charon's Panther and Pink Tiger. Both will available in limited quantities.

http://fpgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Noodlers-Ahab-Fountain-pen-Charons-Panther-crop-300x240.jpg

What beautiful colors and images to demonstrate them. That was news to me.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

So I am thinking since I have a Free Shipping Coupon from Goulet that my XMas gift to myself may be a couple Ahabs. I don't have much experience with flex--the springiest nib I have is on my VP--but I love the look of the pens (particularly Ivory Darkness and the two red models). My question is do you need to flex it or is it versatile (i.e., I can practice learning to flex or I can just use it as a daily writer)?

So I am thinking since I have a Free Shipping Coupon from Goulet that my XMas gift to myself may be a couple Ahabs. I don't have much experience with flex--the springiest nib I have is on my VP--but I love the look of the pens (particularly Ivory Darkness and the two red models). My question is do you need to flex it or is it versatile (i.e., I can practice learning to flex or I can just use it as a daily writer)?

My Ahab only flexes with additional pressure on the nib. Using normal pressure, it writes a fine to medium line depending on the ink and paper.

Yup, mine (transparent demo) arrived, and it's got that same odor. elena, is yours transparent as well? I wonder if the scent differs with color at all.

FWIW, the smell is still present, but now somewhat diminished. It's working well with Montblanc Blue-Black. It always takes some time to warm up in a new writing session, but I haven't had to open any additional fins for it to flow when flexing.

Edited by opus7600

The Ahab can definitely be used as a dailly writer. It only flexes when you want it to (i.e. when you apply the additional pressure necessary to get the tines to spread). In my experience, my Ahabs (4 of them) all have very smooth nibs and make great daily writers. I use Noodler's Eel series inks in mine and the extra lubrication really makes them write nicely.

My question is do you need to flex it or is it versatile (i.e., I can practice learning to flex or I can just use it as a daily writer)?

The Ahab can definitely be used as a dailly writer. It only flexes when you want it to (i.e. when you apply the additional pressure necessary to get the tines to spread). In my experience, my Ahabs (4 of them) all have very smooth nibs and make great daily writers. I use Noodler's Eel series inks in mine and the extra lubrication really makes them write nicely.

Totally agree. Ahab is very universal. It requires a conscious effort to flex - so you are very unlikely to flex it accidentally. That's why I love drawing with it - very smooth, fine line performance most of the time and huge range of flex when I demand it.

Edited by vbuben

Thanks so much, guys! Adding it to my XMas list . . . ;-) It's been a crazy but ultimately educational year and I am treating myself! :)

That new pink and black Ahab reminds me of my Grandma's plastic bathroom tiles ...... I think they were put up in the 50's.

But it's still kinda cool!

"We're out of cornflakes. F.U.' It took me three hours to figure out F.U. stood for Felix Unger!"

My question is do you need to flex it or is it versatile (i.e., I can practice learning to flex or I can just use it as a daily writer)?

Totally agree. Ahab is very universal. It requires a conscious effort to flex - so you are very unlikely to flex it accidentally. That's why I love drawing with it - very smooth, fine line performance most of the time and huge range of flex when I demand it.

Well, if you write quickly, you might notice some small amount of line variation. I naturally put a little bit more pressure on down strokes. So, this translates to a little bit of flex even when writing cursive. It makes it look great! :)

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

Finally joined the Ahab users group. Got a clear demonstrator model from Vanness Pens and have had a ball doodling with it today!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Sweet review Contrydirty! :)

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

Sweet review Contrydirty! :)

Ditto. Great penmanship too (compared to mine especially). Thanks! :thumbup:

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.