Noodler's Ahab Flex Pen

SamCapote

I have to say I am not happy with my Ahab. It belches ink over my page. The feathering is just ridiculous on any paper I try. I have taken the pen apart multiple times and cleaned and re-cleaned.

Tonight when I tried again I took another look at the feed and it looks like maybe it wasn't properly machined? Could someone with more experience with FPs give me

some feedback and tell me if this is normal?

In the picture you can see that the top part of the feed channels go all the way to the middle but the bottom channels stop quite a bit before it. When you look at the feed it looks as though the feed when into the machine at a very slight angle which threw everything off. As I said this is the first feed I have seen outside of a pen so you're help is appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. - I'm sorry the picture is so bad. iPhone with a little led handheld light.

Sayon, I'm glad you posted this. I just took apart 4 of my Ahabs that are not inked, and looked carefully at the ebonite feeds. Referencing my photos from post #11 in this thread here, and either the instruction page that came with your pen, or copied on first post of this thread, I can see that these are custom made, as there are slight variations in the horizontal vent cuts among them. I don't know the technical names for the surfaces of the feed, so let me call the side that contacts the the nib as the top, and opposite side, the bottom.

The lengthwise channel on the top runs nearly the entire length of the feed, and has the breather tube "blow hole" coming up about half-way between the last (horizontal) fin vent, and back end of the feed. Because this top channel is under the slit and has the breather tube, I believe this is primarily an air channel. If I hold the breather tube, and look down at the top channel, I see that all of the fin vents are cut all the way into the top channel on the left side, but not all have the fin vents are cut through to the top channel on the right side. I also notice that the left and right top fin vent slits are not exactly lined up, and my guess is they are cutting each semicircle side separately. On the bottom shorter channel, the fin vents are cut through to the channel from both sides, and the cuts appear more closely matched up left and right sides.

Now all of these pens write and flow extremely well, despite the slight variation in where the fin vent cuts ended. If your feed does not have the fin vent cuts all the way into the bottom channel on both sides, and cut into at least the top left side of the channel, I would ask for a new feed or pen from the retailer. When I look at the demonstrator, there is a coating/puddle of ink that goes all the way around all sides of the nib & feed, so I don't know how critical it is to have every fin vent cut completely through into both sides of both the top and bottom channel. If you have a question that it is not matching the photos, get it replaced.

Assuming you have the nib correctly fitted into the cut-out groove in the section, the drops of ink coming out indicates there is not an equalizing of pressure, and I would take it out and toothbrush the feed slots to make sure they are clear. If it doesn't resolve easily, I would ask for a replacement because none of mine are doing that.

The feathering has nothing to do with the Ahab. That is a function of the ink type and paper used.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SamCapote

• watch_art

• JonB55198

• Phormio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found the Noodler's original, and the Ahab, being more of a soft nib rather than a flexy one. With pressure, the tines will open up a bit.

Of the two, I prefer the Ahab because of the size, fill mechanism, and the nib may be a tad softer. I inked it with Aurora blue and did not experience any issues. The price of the pen was worth the experiment.

BUT ....... even after some soapy water, I find the odor of the clear Ahab pen quite distracting.

Yup, mine (transparent demo) arrived, and it's got that same odor. elena, is yours transparent as well? I wonder if the scent differs with color at all.

I got all my stuff yesterday!!!!

3 ahabs, Lapiz Blue, Jade and December 25

4 ink bottles....Waterman Green, Noodler's Baystate Blue, Pelikan Edelstein Ruby, and Private Reserve Velvet Black (this is what I'll fill my Waterman Expert II)

I finally got around to fiddle with the stuff late at night and only for a few minutes. FIrst impressions....the resin does smell a bit funny lticaptd.gif .

Secondly, I think I made up my mind and will now be looking for a Fine or Extra Fine nib for my waterman (currently have a M nib) because I really like the thiner lines made by the Ahab with little to no pressure on the nib. Last, like a noob to piston-filled pens...I must admit it was not the "cleanest" operation filling 3 pens with ink, bug got it done thumbup.gif. I'm taking all three pens to the office this morning and give them a good test try. I'll post pix of the "goodies" later. I'm psyched!

Also, some of you mentioned that there is a clear demonstrator model available...I didn't see that listed on the website for my pen store. Does it go by any particular name other than "demonstrator"?.

Thank you all!

"Todo reflejo al llegar al punto final recuerda su origen" Jose Manuel Aguilera

I got a demo too. Believe it or not, The other other demo I had was the TWSBI 540... and it took me over a year of collecting fountain pens to get that one. So for the first year, I didn't have any demos. Some people have entire collections of demos. Pelikan even makes an M1000 demo now I've heard... so weird.

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

Also, some of you mentioned that there is a clear demonstrator model available...I didn't see that listed on the website for my pen store. Does it go by any particular name other than "demonstrator"?.

If check out this page here, you will see it is the top pen on the page: http://isellpens.com/noodlerspens.html. There it is called a "clear demonstrator".

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

If check out this page, you will see it is the top pen on the page. There it is called a "clear demonstrator".

Link was busted, at least on my browser. Fixed it for any others in the same situation.

Edited by opus7600

The smell is incrementally decreasing on my demo, day by day. I actually love the pen and will buy others. I really like the way it writes. But yes, strong smell, especially the first day, even from my shirt pocket. I'm going to buy one of the tinted demos when they come out.

Freedom Exists by Virtue of Me Moderating You.

I've noticed the smell decreasing too. Not sure what it is from, but it will disappear eventually, I can tell.(ETA: I have only noticed it when uncapped and in use.) New stuff=off-gassing. Don't care what it is that you get. Kind of interesting. I miss that my ebonite Hanyro has lost most of its smell. I loooooved sniffing that pen.

Edited by chupie

Pearl's Blog: A Journey in Patience: Feline DIabetes

Feline Diabetes is a treatable condition.

<a href="http://www.felinediabetes.com" target="_blank">http://www.felinediabetes.com</a>

The smell is very strong on my clear demo. Makes me wonder if this "vegetal" plastic is PLA.

http://builders.reprap.org/2009/08/polylactic-acid.html

I wouldn't call it cotton candy, more like machine oil, but a sweet smell in any case.

To get in the mood for the Ahab, since I read the novel recently, I think I'll get this:

http://www.rifftrax.com/rifftrax/star-trek-ii-wrath-khan

Lots of Moby Dick quotes.

I was going to get the Arizona but without an ink window, I'm happier with the demo. Looking forward to the tinted ones. I have a yellow pelikan, pink TWSBI, and smoke Pilot, so maybe... blue?

Curses, Nathan! I had bought nary a pen for months and then I have to get a Goulet Communiqué reminding me about the Ahab. Of course I couldnt pass up a $20 pen, and of course it gave me the excuse to order the Navy and Green Marine inks that came up on the best Noodler's colors thread. Plus Epinard was back in stock. I did draw the line at not getting a bottle of Nikita, though, even if it is on sale for InkDrop members right now. I have Widowmaker in the Ahab and really don't think I'll find a red I like better.

I got a demo too. Believe it or not, The other other demo I had was the TWSBI 540... and it took me over a year of collecting fountain pens to get that one. So for the first year, I didn't have any demos. Some people have entire collections of demos. Pelikan even makes an M1000 demo now I've heard... so weird.

At first I didn't like the demostrator models, but in the past few days just reading around I've stumbled upon several pictures and I'm growing fond of them. I think i'll pick up an Ahab clear and then a 540 TWSBI.

Here, my goodies :o

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/Caifanito/12012011101.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/Caifanito/12012011102.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/Caifanito/12012011097.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/Caifanito/12012011100.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/Caifanito/12012011098.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/Caifanito/12012011103.jpg

Today I was able to use the blue pen and I LOVE the noodlers blue ink. It has a very bright and deep color to it without being too overwhelming. I tried the red one for a bit but I had a couple issues with dripping ink. I know there were some issues with the Ahabs regarding flow of ink so I'll have to read up on that. So far...very happy with the purchases!

"Todo reflejo al llegar al punto final recuerda su origen" Jose Manuel Aguilera

At first I didn't like the demostrator models, but in the past few days just reading around I've stumbled upon several pictures and I'm growing fond of them. I think i'll pick up an Ahab clear and then a 540 TWSBI.

The TWSBI is nice. I like it alot. It is super reliable. My only gripe about it is that it is off balance when posted. It was never intended to post from what I read. Also, with demos you don't have to worry about matching the ink color so much.

Here, my goodies :o

Sweet pics and good color choices for the pens. I have the 25th and Green in the smaller flex pens. I have the medeval lapiz in the Ahab.

Today I was able to use the blue pen and I LOVE the noodlers blue ink. It has a very bright and deep color to it without being too overwhelming. I tried the red one for a bit but I had a couple issues with dripping ink. I know there were some issues with the Ahabs regarding flow of ink so I'll have to read up on that. So far...very happy with the purchases!

I have Bay state blue too. It feathers a bit on some papers. I'm going to try to break it out again and try it. It is an awesome blue.

I've picked the pumpkin in orange/black. Would love the Jade if only it had green and black instead of green and white. Doesn't really appeal to me.

Sounds like a good combo... maybe there will be one eventually. What do you think of the colored demos? I'm thinking of getting the cobalt one...

Not sure I care much for the demos yet. Haven't seen them in person...

They are good, mine is the demo. I kinda wish I had bought a colored one though. The resin has a milky texture. I had bought the demo thinking the filler inside was going to be opaque. I wanted to see the filler operate. Now that I know that the 'regular' pens have clear fillers I would have likely opted for a green. I may still. :embarrassed_smile:

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

I was referring to the colored demos. They look sort of plasticy to me. Not sure I'd care for the clear milky demo either though.

I prefer color in my pens! :)

Don't care too much if I can see ink level or not. Not super important to me really.

I finally got Nathan's permission to lift my promised "Cone of Silence" about this pen. I felt like I was going to explode not being about to talk about it. Here is his paper insert to wet your whistle. Photos of pens will follow.

Thanks for all your insight, SamCapote! I very much admire Nathan's approach to his products, even if I don't like all of them. The Ahab is one neat pen even for a non-flexing person like moi. He's got the size of the pen right, he's got a very cool filling system, you can even "eyedropper" it if you want the 5.5ml capacity over the 1.5ml of the filler, and the darn thing is self-servicable! It's a winner in my tiny book. I bought it out of curiosity, of course, and because I want to support Nathan's efforts in the pen arena. I might even keep it. But if I don't, it'll make a great giveaway to a person who likes to tinker with her/his pens. This is far superior to his first round of flex pens. Uh, so said the non-flexing person.

Best,

Julie

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

My Ahab has worked fine right out of the box after an initial cleaning with warm soapy water and a toothbrush.

It holds a lot in ink so I use it to practice the Palmer Method of Business Writing to improve my handwriting.

I'm wasn't accustomed to the body size, but quickly adapted.

Great pen, great value.

I'm not a flex fan, but I love the body and filling system of the Ahab. I have two, and they write a very nice fine line with no pressure, and I really like the nib.

But, being a sucker for tinkering, I was looking at my pens over the weekend, I noticed the nib on the Ahab was the same size as the rigid nib that came in a cheapo Kaigelu pen I got on ebay for $12 some time ago. The Kaigelu nib is super smooth and writes as a terrific duopoint (medium upright, fine upside down)--but the body is kinda strange looking and not particularly high quality, and its feed dries up constantly. So---I hammered the feed and nib out of the Kaigulu and put the nib in the Ahab. It fit perfectly and writes beautifully with smooth, even flow of ink and no inadvertent flex.

I measured the nib--and apparently Noodler's is using a standard size--35mm long by 8.8 mm or wide or a "No. 6" nib. I may hunt some batches of nibs on ebay and play around.

Not that the existing nib is bad, but besides being well-made pens for $20 dollars, one of the neatest aspects of Noodler's pens is they appeal to those of us who immediately take the lids off our new toys to see what is under the hood.