Staples Arc - Customized

JSButterfly

So here we have the Staples Arc Notebook in "Saddle" color. This new Staples line has created quite some buzz in the FPN community!

A leather system, with Levenger design elements for a fraction of the Levenger price?? Oh yes!

Now that Staples has added the equally economical punch ("economical" compared to Levenger), many of our members just could not resist....including "yours truly" :thumbup:

I customized the Arc with Levenger gold-tone discs, a custom leather stamp (featuring my logo - "jsbutterfly") and filled it with HP Premium Laserjet paper (24lb or 90g/m) The Staples paper that comes with the Arc is also premium paper and works well with many fountain pens and inks.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to "hack" a closure without punching any holes or doing any sewing ... So here you go.

What do you think? Also if you have ideas for a closure, (for those who like closures) please share.

Thanks for viewing my little review.

post-42730-0-48749800-1321384179.jpg

Staples Arc (Junior Size) with some customization

post-42730-0-53116400-1321384271.jpg

Levenger Discs - 1 inch - Gold

post-42730-0-68119500-1321384318.jpg

post-42730-0-97117800-1321384361.jpg

1" discs room for 80 sheets

post-42730-0-05481900-1321387461.jpg

Cornell (sorta) template printed on HP Premium Laserjet

post-42730-0-29471800-1321387609.jpg

Trying to figure out how to attach a some sort of closure.

post-42730-0-61040400-1321387657.jpg

Elastic attached through the pen loop.

post-42730-0-10385100-1321387713.jpg

There must be a better way...right?

post-42730-0-76437200-1321387773.jpg

The end. Thanks for visiting my post.

Join my Flickr Groups Staples Arc

Your Paper Spaces Photos

Blog Paper Spaces

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JSButterfly

• Toine 149

• tenney

• Mags

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is very nice and crafty. I just got the 1" gold discs, so my system looks exactly like yours, except it's all Levenger. No arc in Canada. I was just wondering how do you use your system? What kind of info/items do you put in it?

This is very nice and crafty. I just got the 1" gold discs, so my system looks exactly like yours, except it's all Levenger. No arc in Canada. I was just wondering how do you use your system? What kind of info/items do you put in it?

Using it for Pen and Ink sampling, drafts of reviews, and meeting notes. I think I will add graph paper to practice penmanship.

I have enclosed the paper the system comes with, my HP paper with Cornell template and three dividers. In the front pocket, I have some scraps of paper for quick notes/to do lists. (I use the Midori Traveler's Notebook for my calendar and my personal journal)

Question for you -- Do you have a need for a closure on your Levenger? Do you use anything? How do you keep it closed and if you don't, how do you keep pages from getting tattered, torn or pulled out?

Your Paper Spaces Photos

Blog Paper Spaces

Using it for Pen and Ink sampling, drafts of reviews, and meeting notes. I think I will add graph paper to practice penmanship.

I have enclosed the paper the system comes with, my HP paper with Cornell template and three dividers. In the front pocket, I have some scraps of paper for quick notes/to do lists. (I use the Midori Traveler's Notebook for my calendar and my personal journal)

Question for you -- Do you have a need for a closure on your Levenger? Do you use anything? How do you keep it closed and if you don't, how do you keep pages from getting tattered, torn or pulled out?

I don't use a closure, but I might need one once I start filling it up. Your design is pretty clever, so I might borrow that idea. I haven't had any problems with the pages thus far. Besides the usual paper templates from DIY planner, I also carry exploratree cards printed on HP paper, a staedtler template ruler, a Levenger ruler, 2 Levenger plastic pocket filled with stamps, About.me business cards, Filofax calculator, post-it notes, and paper clips. Now that I have the 1" discs, I plan to include my nuclear reactor.

I don't use a closure, but I might need one once I start filling it up. Your design is pretty clever, so I might borrow that idea. I haven't had any problems with the pages thus far. Besides the usual paper templates from DIY planner, I also carry exploratree cards printed on HP paper, a staedtler template ruler, a Levenger ruler, 2 Levenger plastic pocket filled with stamps, About.me business cards, Filofax calculator, post-it notes, and paper clips. Now that I have the 1" discs, I plan to include my nuclear reactor.

:ltcapd: :roflmho:

Your Paper Spaces Photos

Blog Paper Spaces

Just picked mine up at Staples here in Ontario so have another look around.

Chris

Edited by APPLEMAN

Appleman Pens

Orangeville, Ontario, Canada

Photo's Of Past Pens

My Blog

Phone 912-376-7165

I have one of the Quo Vadis bookmarks with the elastic strap, and that works pretty well as a closure on the junior notebook, but I'm still looking for something that will work as well for the letter size. I love my Arc/Circa frankenbooks. :cloud9:

I have one of the Quo Vadis bookmarks with the elastic strap, and that works pretty well as a closure on the junior notebook, but I'm still looking for something that will work as well for the letter size. I love my Arc/Circa frankenbooks. :cloud9:

FunkyPeanut - "Frankenbooks" - very clever!

I really do enjoy my Arc. I've started a public Flickr Group appropriately called "Staples Arc".

Your Paper Spaces Photos

Blog Paper Spaces

Drill a hole through one of the discs to pass the string through for the enclosure.

Excellent ideas! Thank you so much.

Your Paper Spaces Photos

Blog Paper Spaces

What color? Did you get a punch too?

I had two coupons: one was something like 25% off the notebooks (I got a black leather one, and a colorful plastic one that my wife might use), and the other was 30% off accessories (or vice versa?) so I got the punch and some paper too. I've got to get caught up on several other projects before taking the time to play with the Arcs and see what I like / don't like.

I just got an email from Staples with a coupon for 15% off anything (lots of restrictions) that will fit into one of their eco bags that expires 23 November 2011.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

So this idea worked the best for me. Here are some photos. Thanks you so much Funky Peanut!

I complete forgot I had this! It matches great!

post-42730-0-32629200-1321910058.jpg

post-42730-0-23767200-1321910145.jpg

post-42730-0-72050100-1321910179.jpg

It doesn't work as well from the side. It gets in the way of the Pen in the pen holder and there is good inch between the edge of your pages and the end of the notebook.

post-42730-0-93103200-1321910117.jpg

Thanks again

Your Paper Spaces Photos

Blog Paper Spaces

• 2 weeks later...

What paper did you use for this? And, how did you get the logo embossed? I didn't see that on the Staples website.

Thanks,

Toine

What paper did you use for this? And, how did you get the logo embossed? I didn't see that on the Staples website.

Thanks,

Toine

Hi Toine - I used the HP Premium Laserjet 24# and the Cornell Template found on Incompetech. (I actually customized this template a bit)

You can have any logo made into a leather stamp. I sent my logo to TuffCase. They did nice job very quickly. (No affiliation, happy customer). They make their stamps from a high grade plastic. Very Sturdy. They can use a jpeg, etc. But see their website for the formatting requirements.

Your Paper Spaces Photos

Blog Paper Spaces

Thanks for your quick reply. I placed the order for the Arc system yesterday, and will have it tomorrow. I can't wait.

T

My pleasure Toine. When your Arc arrives, I hope you'll consider joining my Flickr Group and post some pictures.

What color did you choose? Did you order the punch too?

Your Paper Spaces Photos

Blog Paper Spaces

Thanks for your quick reply. I placed the order for the Arc system yesterday, and will have it tomorrow. I can't wait.

T

My pleasure Toine. When your Arc arrives, I hope you'll consider joining my Flickr Group and post some pictures.

What color did you choose? Did you order the punch too?

I ended up getting black, and no, didn't get the punch yet. Let me try it first :)

The paper that comes with it is nice, and works well with fountain pens as well.

T