Diamine Majestic Blue

Sandy1

For convenient viewing of the images, you may wish to scroll to the menu at the very bottom of this window, then change the FPN Theme to 'IP.Board Mobile'.

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Grey Scale below.

As the patches are neutral grey, that is what you should see.

Mac

Wintel PC

Grey Scale:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/INK576-1-2.jpg

= 〒 =

Figure 1.

Swabs & Swatch

Paper: HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Majestic%20Blue/2c75a4b7.jpg

Figure 2.

NIB-ism ✑

Paper: HPJ1124.

Depicts nibs' line-width and pens' relative wetness.

IMG-thumb:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Majestic%20Blue/th_689b33f3.jpg

Pens: L → R: 51, M200, 502, 330, Estie & Safari.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick

Ruling: 8mm.

Figure 3.

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Majestic%20Blue/778478ee.jpg

Figure 4.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Majestic%20Blue/f5ead5b0.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: G Lalo, Verge de France, white.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Majestic%20Blue/e8d3263c.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: Royal - 25% rag.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Majestic%20Blue/6eef05c4.jpg

Figure 7.

Paper: Clairefontaine Triomphe (Go for the glow!)

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Majestic%20Blue/a5e82619.jpg

Figure 8.

Paper: Staples 20 lb. multi-use

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Majestic%20Blue/b7bd37b3.jpg

Figure 9.

Grocery List

Paper: Pulp. One-a-Day calendar page.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Majestic%20Blue/35843f27.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Figure 10.

Smear/Dry Times.

Wet Tests. ☂

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Majestic%20Blue/9cd182d3.jpg

Figure 11.

Smudge Times.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Majestic%20Blue/43576192.jpg

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type:

• Dye-based fountain pen ink.

Presentation:

• Glass bottle.

Availability:

• Available when Topic posted.

Daily writer?

• Likely.

A go-to ink?

• When a default Dark Blue of modest performance is sufficient.

USE

Business:

(From the office of Ms Blue-Black.)

• Well suited to all manner of personal work product and business communication.
  • While DMBl is not overly stuffy, a more convivial Medium Blue or suitable alternate colour may be welcome for some downward and lateral communication.
  • On 'lowest bidder' copy paper, there may be deficiencies with line quality and bleed- show-through, which may be to overcome by a dryer writer and perhaps even a more narrow nib.
  • Not sufficiently eye-catching for mark-up or editing; not enough zap for error correction / grading of assignments.

Illustrations / Graphics:

• DMBl would be suitable for stable figures. If highly diluted, it could be used as a ground.
  • Another ink that is an excellent transitional colour from Black / Dark Purple to Middle Blue.
  • Will act as a foil to Dark Blues which lean into the Teal/Cyan.
  • Line quality is not best suited to very tight narrow lines, diagrams or labels, but mark-making such as crosshatching, is within scope.

Students:

• Possible.
  • From what is seen on the Written Samples and Other Stuff, two-sided use on 'lowest bidder' papers is unlikely to be acceptable except in a pinch, and water resistance is not admirable.
  • However, if such shortcomings are acceptable, then it would be just dandy as a default dark Blue ink.
  • A medium tone Turquoise or Azure ink may be a useful alt/aux colour.
  • Should be considered for hand-written assignments.

Personal:

• Well, no; by more than a hair's breadth.
  • Even though I use Montblanc Midnight Blue and Visconti Blue for personal writing, I find DMBl just too business-like and distancing for 'personal' personal writing. However, if I were to receive personal correspondence written with this ink, I would not be much taken aback, other than thinking the sender used a default ink. (OK OK - its not WFBl.)
  • As for Business use, this ink is good for pro forma personal business writing.
  • A good enough default Blue for me to use in a casual [carry] pen, but is not invited to the beach.
  • I don't feel constrained in any way to a specific shape or size of nib, yet I have no inclination to heave great swathes of this ink across the sheet from a 2mm nib or even a 1½. *waiting for carpedavid to chime-in*
  • Billets doux?

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• A bit high.
  • Generous.

Nib Dry-out:

• Not seen.

Start-up:

• Immediate.
  • With confidence.

Lubrication:

• About normal - even with the higher flow rate. (?)

Nib Creepers:

• Not seen.

Staining [pen]:

• Not seen.

Clogging:

• Not seen.
  • Some Members have encountered clogging. LINK

Bleed- Show-Through: :(

• HPJ1124: M200, 502 & Safari.
  • Royal: M200, 502, 330, Estie & Safari.
  • Staples 20 lb: 330.
  • Pulp: 51

Feathering / Woolly Line:

• Not enough to remark upon.

Aroma:

• Inky.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Not evident.

Clean Up:

• Quite a bit slower than usual, but thorough with plain water.
  • A bit of a soak seems in order.
  • (Bring your rubber duckies & a Banville, or hone the kitchen knives.)

Mixing:

• No stated prohibitions.
  • A bit of dilution may be considered to lower the flow rate; which may also reduce bleed- show-through.
  • Member and mix master dcwaites mentions a mix with Diamine Havasu to conjure a Diamine ASA Blue look alike. (Goodonya!) Post № 6 LINK

Archival:

• Not claimed.

Water Resistance & Smear/Dry Times:

• As shown in Figure 10 above.

Smudge Times:

• As shown in Figure 11 above.
  • Some Members report that DMBl is not fully smudge resistant after the ink is ostensibly dry. This is a bane for those who rework or mark-up drawings/text, and/or use scanners, copiers, bindery equipment, etc. with friction belt autofeeders / transports.
  • However, unlike Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue, I was unable to replicate such behaviour on three papers ten minutes after writing. YMMV. Sauve qui peut.

THE LOOK

☞ From my half-bottle of experience, DMBl may undergo a noticeable change of colour before it is dry. I consider that change to be primarily about colour - less so density, perceived intensity, lustre, etc.

☞ In addition, the extent to which the Violet component is perceived varies according to the light source and one's ability to see the near-UV colours, especially the 'spectral violet'. (Not typical colour blindness, but truncated sensitivity. LINK)

Presence:

• Not so very majestic, but does make a good first impression.
  • Firm.
  • Stable.

Saturation:

• Quite high.

Shading:

• Very low, but might be encouraged. LINK
  • Seems to require a hard smooth paper.
  • Other Members have reported greater shading than seen in this Review.
  • Possible from narrow nibs, as shown in the scan on Rhodia below.

Sheen / Glow: ‡

• Oh yes baby!
  • See photographs below.

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • Quite a bit less than expected.

[*]Papers used:

• Somewhat less than expected.

[*]Malleability:

• Not that much at all.
    • The consistency of The Look across the variety of pens and papers would make DMBl a candidate for a daily writer ink - only if it were not so prone to bleed- show-through. Phooey!

‡ Avoid such inspection in airport departure lounges or other similar security/sanity zones. Trust me on this one, OK? Post № 3 LINK

Hi-Res Scans:

As I do not wish to be known by the sobriquet 'Queen of The Bandwidth Bandits', these are IMG-thumbs.

51 on HPJ1124

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Majestic%20Blue/th_33bc187f.jpg

502 on Rhodia

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Majestic%20Blue/th_81fb3ba7.jpg

Estie on G Lalo

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Majestic%20Blue/th_6f57349c.jpg

Safari on Royal

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Majestic%20Blue/th_149b0d99.jpg

------

Go for the Glow!

Dip pen on Clairefontaine Triomphe.

Photos taken by Cathy-Next-Door

IMG-thumbs:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/th_b233f70e.jpg

Anyone for Pixie Dust?

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/th_cbcfc83c.jpg

FIDELITY

Is the name appropriate?

• Sufficiently vague so that it is not outright misleading.
  • Encourages potential purchasers to seek-out Ink Reviews. (Hello there!)

Are swabs/swatches accurate?

• Ink received is consistent with the Diamine site sample. LINK

OTHER INKS

Comparisons:

• To enable ad hoc comparison, my Reviews of Blue inks from 10 August 2010 onward share the same Written Sample layout, atrocious handwriting, and some papers & pens. Manipulation of web browser windows supports simultaneous viewing of Written Samples of several inks. That said, if you feel a specific aspect deserves to be depicted/documented as a stand-alone Post or Topic, your PM will be welcomed.
  • To date, stand-alone comparisons with Visconti Blue, OMAS Blue, and Levenger Cobalt have been requested, so should be posted as time and tides permit.

S1's Swab Swami

Dis-similar Inks:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Diamine%20Majestic%20Blue/4fca8baf.jpg

In the image above, DMBl is seen canoodling with American Blue on the Left, and Aurora Blue on the Right, from swabs of three, two and one passes. Unfortunately for our darling Ismith42, there is not a plethora of other inks or piñatas.

PAPERS

Lovely papers:

• White papers with a hard smooth surface.
  • Can easily handle the off-white tints of natural papers; and likely shrug-off dirty whites.

Trip-wire Papers: ☠

• Those which are too absorbent and cannot suppress bleed- show-through.

Tinted Papers:

• Any reasonable tint.
  • As the ink is of high saturation and opacity, it may do quite nicely on warm tints.
  • As mentioned above, DMBl can change colour several minutes after writing. If running samples to select a tinted paper, one may well wait several minutes after writing before deciding on a paper.

Pre-Printed Papers:

• Forms, etc.
    • Very good choice.
    • There is enough colour & tonal separation from the typical Black ink text, yet remains in behind the plane of the paper for ease of reading.
    • Beware of the bleed- show-though limitations. (One may choose to use their nib inverted.)

[*]For charts & graphs:

• Possible, but do be cautious about line quality.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• Very likely.
  • The smooth hard surfaced papers may be needed to avoid bleed- show-through, and encourage shading if so desired. As well, it seems that to 'go for the glow', such a paper is needed.

ETC.

Majik:

• Ha!

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• The Estie + 9968 on the Rhodia.
  • I like the density/tone generated by the slightly dry B nib, which promotes the vibrancy of colour. The line width gives a comfortable % coverage which anchors the ink well.
  • The Rhodia boosts the line quality. The slightly warm base-tint is a welcome nuance to keep the vibrant ink from p☀pping off the page.

Yickity Yackity:

• There is no point trying to downplay the likelihood that this ink will not be replaced once the bottle is empty. I will certainly enjoy it as much as possible, (no muttering or making faces), but 80ml is more than enough - there are just too many other inks that keep my interest time and time again.
  • It will not languish in the mixing corral.
  • Ah kushbaby, somehow I think a more all-round high performance ink may suit you better.

======

NUTS & BOLTS

Pens:

These six were also used for the One Of The Ten series.

IMG-thumb:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Pen_Scans/th_PEN836.jpg

• Parker 51 Flighter + 14K XF nib.
  • Pelikan M200 + M200-series g-p steel EF nib.
  • Waterman England 502 + some-flex 14CT 2A nib.
  • Sheaffer 330 + inlaid steel M nib.
  • Esterbrook J + 9968 firm steel B nib.
  • Lamy Pink Safari + goosed steel 1.1i nib.

• A dual-reservoir Brause Ornament dip pen nib was used in Figure 7.
  • For lines & labels: Pilot Penmanship + steel XF with Montblanc Racing Green and Sailor Epinard.

______

Papers:

• HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.
  • Rhodia.
  • G Lalo, Verge de France, white.
  • Royal, 25% cotton rag.
  • Staples 20 lb. multi-use.
  • Pulp. One-a-Day calendar page.
  • Clairefontaine Triomphe.

______

• Scans were made on an Epson V600 scanner; factory defaults were accepted.
  • Figures shown were scanned at 200 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • HiRes Images linked were scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Other than rotating and cropping, no post-capture manipulation of files was done, other than dumb-down by Photobucket & IP.Board s/w.
  • I have no idea how the photos were done, but we had a few laughs doing so.

______

Densitometer Readings:

(HPJ1124)

• Red 69
  • Grn 93
  • Blu 168
  • Lum 103

______

Fine Print

The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of matériel used.

Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc.

As always, YMMV, not only from materials, methods, environment, etc., but also due to differences between the stuff I used, and that you may have.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

______

-30-

Tags: Fountain Pen Ink Review Diamine Majestic Blue Sandy1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• JeanManuel

• The Good Captain

• Phormula

Great review. Nice colour. Takes ages to dry - and never really does. Smears too much for my liking.

Not my favourite Diamine.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I like the colour and sheen, which remind me of Penman Sapphire, but I've stopped using Diamine Majestic Blue because even weeks later I can pick up a piece of writing and just the normal moisture on my hands will smudge it off the page and onto my skin. Would be fine if I were a Smurf, but as I'm not I object to having to scrub my paws after handling a piece of paperwork. A pity, since it's quite a nice ink otherwise.

Thanks for the review. I have used and enjoyed this ink quite a lot recently. Love the Penman Sapphire type sheen it leaves on certain papers.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Thanks Sandy, I love reading your reviews. Is there a reason you added the dip pen to the review? I take it you like the Triomphe paper, do you find it's as smooth as the Rhodia?

Lovely ink, absolutely fantastic color - but the dry time... Haven't found another blue like this. Thank you for the review

Greetings,

Michael

You may have just saved me the cost of buying a bottle. I believe I have sample of this ink, which I haven't tested yet.

Great review. Nice colour. Takes ages to dry - and never really does. Smears too much for my liking.

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment!

From the stuff in the bottle I have, the dry times are a bit longer than usual; and in Fig 11, I was not able to show the lingering 'not quite dry' aspect which would certainly keep me from using such ink.

Not my favourite Diamine either. :huh:

(But we do have Denim!)

Bye,

S1

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment!

From the stuff in the bottle I have, the dry times are a bit longer than usual; and in Fig 11, I was not able to show the lingering 'not quite dry' aspect which would certainly keep me from using such ink.

Not my favourite Diamine either. :huh:

(But we do have Denim!)

Bye,

S1

(And Midnight, Eclipse & Evergreen)

The Good Captain

I like the colour and sheen, which remind me of Penman Sapphire, but I've stopped using Diamine Majestic Blue because even weeks later I can pick up a piece of writing and just the normal moisture on my hands will smudge it off the page and onto my skin. Would be fine if I were a Smurf, but as I'm not I object to having to scrub my paws after handling a piece of paperwork. A pity, since it's quite a nice ink otherwise.

Hi,

I agree that this ink has something in common with Penman Sapphire, but it is wide of the mark.

Another -1 due to that pesky smudging . . .

Bye,

S1

Thanks for the review. I have used and enjoyed this ink quite a lot recently. Love the Penman Sapphire type sheen it leaves on certain papers.

Hi,

You're welcome!

I hope your recent purchase does not have the smudging mentioned previously!

Bye,

S1

Lovely ink, absolutely fantastic color - but the dry time... Haven't found another blue like this. Thank you for the review

Hi,

You're welcome!

My goodness -
Another -1 for dry time! And another +1 for colour!!

Bye,

S1

Thanks Sandy, I love reading your reviews. Is there a reason you added the dip pen to the review? I take it you like the Triomphe paper, do you find it's as smooth as the Rhodia?

Hi,

You're welcome!

Oh - the dip pen sample: I'd read so much about the 'glow & glitter' that some are able to achieve, but even from Safari with its 1.1 nib on Rhodia I was not able to get the desired effect. So I went to the wettest nib I have, a dip pen nib, on the hardest smooth paper I have that is widely available from vendors of FPs & ink. Finally, the glitter & glow appeared - neat-o!

I find the Triomphe is smoother than Rhodia. Some find that it is too 'slick', likely those using a wet / high lubrication ink. And if a nib has 'baby bottom', it may cause skipping. However, as is typical, with the right pen+ ink combo, CT is pretty amazing stuff. I like it very much when using a flex nib.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

You may have just saved me the cost of buying a bottle. I believe I have sample of this ink, which I haven't tested yet.

Hi,

I am always glad when I can help avoid an unrewarding purchase and/or prevent an ink from languishing unused. :happyberet:

If you do have a sample, please let us know how you like it. Also, reading of your experience with bleed- show-through and smudging would also be helpful.

Bye,

S1

Hi,

You're welcome!

Oh - the dip pen sample: I'd read so much about the 'glow & glitter' that some are able to achieve, but even from Safari with its 1.1 nib on Rhodia I was not able to get the desired effect. So I went to the wettest nib I have, a dip pen nib, on the hardest smooth paper I have that is widely available from vendors of FPs & ink. Finally, the glitter & glow appeared - neat-o!

I find the Triomphe is smoother than Rhodia. Some find that it is too 'slick', likely those using a wet / high lubrication ink. And if a nib has 'baby bottom', it may cause skipping. However, as is typical, with the right pen+ ink combo, CT is pretty amazing stuff. I like it very much when using a flex nib.

Bye,

S1

Thanks, the Triomphe is something to think about.

Hi,

I am always glad when I can help avoid an unrewarding purchase and/or prevent an ink from languishing unused. :happyberet:

If you do have a sample, please let us know how you like it. Also, reading of your experience with bleed- show-through and smudging would also be helpful.

Bye,

S1

Eventually.... I have about 20 samples of blue inks. So one of these days I'll be flooding FPN with ink reviews. Getting good scans is a pain. I wish I had a colour correction adjustment kit, and perhaps a better scanner.

Hmm, I didn't remember Majestic blue being that bad, so I dusted off my bottle and inked up a pen. (an old nameless lever filler, average flow, medium-ish nib).

It does take 12 to 15 seconds to dry, but I'm not seeing any smearing, not even on Rhodia. Also no bleed through, nothing that would keep me from using the second side of the page.

It's not a bad ink, but my bottle is destined to gather dust again because I've got more exciting blues available. It's got the red sheen of PPS, but not the "zip" of the brighter shading areas of PPS.

Hmm, I didn't remember Majestic blue being that bad, so I dusted off my bottle and inked up a pen. (an old nameless lever filler, average flow, medium-ish nib).

It does take 12 to 15 seconds to dry, but I'm not seeing any smearing, not even on Rhodia. Also no bleed through, nothing that would keep me from using the second side of the page.

It's not a bad ink, but my bottle is destined to gather dust again because I've got more exciting blues available. It's got the red sheen of PPS, but not the "zip" of the brighter shading areas of PPS.

Hi,

You're right - it's not that bad for me either. But my cautions do tend to be a bit loud.

Perhaps the 'never totally dry' thing was a batch anomaly. (?) So it would be nice to hear from one who has recently purchased this ink, my bottle being perhaps eight months old. The more people who chime-in makes for a far more complete Review.

Smear/Dry Times achieved are not outrageous, and are not deal breakers for me.

OK, to the bleed- show-through:

It is important to look at the 'NIB-ism' samples to evaluate the pens' relative wetness for this wee exercise. Also,
to generate a bit of flex,
the 502 was used with a bit more pressure
than my normal light hand, which for the most part just guides the pen
. Consequently, the ink is more likely to be 'pushed' into the paper, giving more bleed- show-through than the 502's unflexed wetness, which is not obvious from the NIB-ism samples.

• On Staples 20 lb.:
    • From the 330: Too high to use both sides, except in a pinch - even for 'own use'.

[*]On HPJ1124:

• From the M200, 502 & Safari: Freckles, but likely OK for 'own use'.

[*]On Royal: A 'fuzzy' open-finish paper.

• Show-through is the biggest deficiency.
    • The 51 & Estie could likely be used both sides.
    • Bleed-through (freckles) and show-through are both too high for two-sided own use from the M200, 330, 502 & Safari. (A bit lower standards, but not in denial.)

And yes the red sheen & Pixie Dust just do not overcome the very nice 'default' Look of this one. However, I think that if one can find a 'just so' pen+paper combo, then one can reach the bottom of the bottle without frowning!

BTW, as I'm already over my limit of four A4/Letter pages per Review, I won't be adding scans of bleed- show-through.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

I think it's really only the smudging thing for me that lets this down just a little. It is a good colour.

The Good Captain

I bought a bottle of Majestic Blue. It is nice. Just a shade or two darker than my original favorite blue, PR American Blue. I've been using Majestic, American, and Noodler's Ottoman Azure in three of my pens lately, and I have a difficult time deciding which is the best. Good news---I don't have to choose.