Gfeller Notebook Covers

drifting

I'm curious to see how the pale kip Gfeller leather ages with use. I'm not terribly fond of the pristine kip, but I am intrigued by the potential patination.

Their site shows pictures of some of their geology gear aged to perfection, but I suspect that's several seasons out in the elements, and a notebook cover just wouldn't be subject to the same conditions, and therefore, I suspect, won't age the same way.

Pictures of your Gfeller notebook cover at any age, but the older the better, would be very much appreciated.

Ryan.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dapv

• inkypete

• maryannemoll

• ricecracker

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While I don't have pics, I can tell you mine and my daughter's and those I have given as gifts have aged superbly. A little trick you can do to hurry it along is to open it up fully to the sun alternating from front to back and with no refills in it. Gfeller has pics on their Web site and their pics are true and consistent with the results I have seen with mine. I have become a real fan of English Kip as a result of my covers. Another thing some have done is to color their covers in a variety of ways. For is me, the English Kip is visually pleasing, smells wonderful, and has a nice tactile feel to it. Also, the elimination of page bump by the inside flaps is terrific. If you take a look at Renaissance Art Leather covers, or Inkleaf [for both of which I'm also a fan], I can tell you I don't expect the English Kip will darken to that extent. Also, English Kip is not a thick or rustic leather.

CFTPM

Sorry I missed the reply, davp. Thanks for the response! Thick rustic leather isn't what I'm looking for, so that's another plus in the Gfeller column.

Anyone else?

Ryan.

• 1 year later...

This is a subject dear to my heart, as the fine folks at Gfeller did some custom work for me on a rhodia webnotebook cover. Here is my cover after about 1 year of use. I don't abuse my notebooks, nor to I baby them. The cover has an excellent build quality and uses high quality raw materials.

I thought about trying to accelerate the patina on the cover by laying it out, or (as described in another post/by another poster) using shoe polish/leather dyes to give an old and well worn appearance to the leather. Upon reflection, I decided to let it age normally, and I'm glad that I did.

The photo shows the outside of the cover (that get's all the abuse) folded over against the inside cover (rarely sees the light of day). The inside cover looks just like the day I bought it, so you can see the difference a year of use makes.

The crescent stain on the front is the unfortunate result of an imprint from a freshly washed wine glass, that I rested on the cover. I can't decide if I like it, as it adds character... or if it looks like a blemish. Additionally, the lighter stripe down the cover is the area that is covered by the elastic closure band on the webnotebook. What do you think?

post-12473-0-98138200-1359215927.jpg

It IS a blemish. A nice one, at that.

I wouldn't try to remove it. We are all a collection of imprints from life. Why shouldn't the notebook be the same? :-)

I may get one of those. Not for the webbie, but for a notebook that would need a cover. Hmm..

-Av

"Spend all you want! We'll print more!" - B. S. (What's a Weimar?) Bernanke

Leave it as it is. It will acquire more "blemishes" or character as time goes on. As a leather freak from way back (saddles, bridles, purses, boots, gloves, belts, jackets, etc.), the more you use the item, the better it feels and the more individualized it becomes. Good leather items never die; they just keep looking better.

And thanks for sharing. I've been vacillating about Gfeller for a while. Your photograph has convinced me to stop my search. I've tried oberon, but the knobs and knots on the outside cover bother me. I like to have my notebooks flatten out when I write.

Leave it as it is. It will acquire more "blemishes" or character as time goes on. As a leather freak from way back (saddles, bridles, purses, boots, gloves, belts, jackets, etc.), the more you use the item, the better it feels and the more individualized it becomes. Good leather items never die; they just keep looking better.

And thanks for sharing. I've been vacillating about Gfeller for a while. Your photograph has convinced me to stop my search. I've tried oberon, but the knobs and knots on the outside cover bother me. I like to have my notebooks flatten out when I write.

I've bought a few covers from Gfeller and am very impressed. They are fabulous. I have a cupboard full of different covers but the Gfellers are my everyday covers now. Mine haven't aged much as I do tend to baby them, even making sure they get a coat of polish every few months. I had covers made for my Habana and my Clairefontaine A5 essentials. Love 'em! Go ahead - you won't be disappointed.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I was one of the first to get a Gfeller cover --I have number 9! I love it and use it everyday. I stained mine with tea then dyed it black with Kiwi Black Scuff Magic. The Scuff magic has worn off to show the dark brown underneath--looks more red in the pic but it is a dark brown. Here are the pics taken today Jan. 27 2013--I have had it for years--around 6!!!!!--carrying it everyday in my bag. My constant companion.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8184/8421865762_be926700e2.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8237/8421868384_4dd25beaba.jpg

www.stevelightart.com

Is there a notebook cover with pen loop that fits a MB 149?

Apparently, all the ones I've found have loops too small (Gfeller) or not intended for fountain pens (inkleafleather).

Ask for a custom sized pen loop; no doubt they will do that.

Is there a notebook cover with pen loop that fits a MB 149?

Apparently, all the ones I've found have loops too small (Gfeller) or not intended for fountain pens (inkleafleather).

CFTPM

I was one of the first to get a Gfeller cover --I have number 9! I love it and use it everyday. I stained mine with tea then dyed it black with Kiwi Black Scuff Magic. The Scuff magic has worn off to show the dark brown underneath--looks more red in the pic but it is a dark brown. Here are the pics taken today Jan. 27 2013--I have had it for years--around 6!!!!!--carrying it everyday in my bag. My constant companion.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8184/8421865762_be926700e2.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8237/8421868384_4dd25beaba.jpg

Wow. This looks really good.

Wow! Thanks for reviving this thread with such great pictures, Steve and Dvorak!

Anyone else? :)

Ryan.

I have a couple of Gfeller covers and an Oberon cover and love them all!

I adore the natural leather of Gfeller and the way they age so butifully, I also adore my Green Oberon cover but disliked the big knob, just like you, and ended up not using it as much... until I discovered that the knob can easily be removed :)

It's just screwed on!

I now use my Oberon as much as the Gfeller. I prefer my more rigid Oberon when I carry both notebook and Kindle with me as the Kindle is well protected when slipped into the front cover (and the notebook in the back).

Edited by TheWritingSwede

Hi Swede: I'm glad to hear how easy removing the knob is as the knob has been holding me back from purchasing an Oberon. Also, I often wonder how the Oberon breaks in over time. Can you tell me anything about how the Oberon ages and breaks in? Thank you.

CFTPM

Hi Swede: I'm glad to hear how easy removing the knob is as the knob has been holding me back from purchasing an Oberon. Also, I often wonder how the Oberon breaks in over time. Can you tell me anything about how the Oberon ages and breaks in? Thank you.

I have an Oberon cover for my Nook, and find the nob only slightly irritating. I've had the cover for about a year, and with an occasional treatment of leather lotion it looks as good now as when it was new. It has also softened up very nicely.

Here it is, playing host to some recent acquisitions.

fpn_1357487259__1357487172027.jpg

I have a couple of Gfeller covers and an Oberon cover and love them all!

I adore the natural leather of Gfeller and the way they age so butifully, I also adore my Green Oberon cover but disliked the big knob, just like you, and ended up not using it as much... until I discovered that the knob can easily be removed :)

It's just screwed on!

I now use my Oberon as much as the Gfeller. I prefer my more rigid Oberon when I carry both notebook and Kindle with me as the Kindle is well protected when slipped into the front cover (and the notebook in the back).

The knob is called a "chicago screw". It is an old timey way of dressing up horse gear, mostly bridles, way back when. At the time it was mostly nickel silver or nickle. You don't see it very much any more except on more expensive gear these days; and they don't have the engravings on them they once had. The screw had a tendency to loosen up, so you had to check for tightness on occasion. Usually the screw was used to hold together a piece of leather that was looped at one end. It replaced leather ties, but wasn't as secure. More of an ornamental than practical accessory or for convenience since the leather could stiffen up and bind. If you wanted to be "high class" you used chicago screws or leather not buckles.

That was one of the attractions for me to purchase oberon because of the nostalgia appeal of the chicago screw. I was hoping it wouldn't bother me but it does. I've considered taking it off...it's a hang up of mine I suppose to leave it on. The other thing is I'm on the fence about the stamped rather than engraved leather, but that's reflected in the price, which I think very reasonable. An engraved book cover would be too pricey. Even stamped, they are lovely covers. The leather is good quality.

What is so attractive about the Gfeller is the kip leather and how it ages to a beautiful patina and as it is broken in, it acquires a bit of character in reflection of its owner. A bit more "personal" as if the cover has its own story to tell--a prelude to what is inside.

If you find your chicago screws loosening up to be a pain a small drop of blue locktite will take care of that. Just do not use the red if you ever plan to loosen it.

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"

Hobbies: Thank you for the update. I'm glad to hear they break in nicely. I may try to order one w/o the knob as I'm thinking there will be a hole on the front cover with the knob removed. I would also want it w/o the fastener on back. But, I must say after reading about the "Chicago Screw" I'm intrigued by the knob. More obsessing for a while.

All: I lean towards the tan/walnut colors. Can anyone share pics of their burgundy Oberon? Thank you in advance.

CFTPM

I have a Gfeller that has aged nicely, but is not yet as dark as some have shown pictures of. That is NOT because of the leather, but because I typically keep it in my briefcase out of the sun or elements. Just from my handling of it, though, it is already looking amazing. I have considered staining it with tea as others have done, but haven't yet tried it for fear of screwing it up.

Given that I use Moleskines regularly, I also have a Saddleback leather cover, too. It, too, is great, though substantially thicker/bulkier than the Gfeller. I love both of them for their differences. I find I use the Gfeller more frequently because it's easier to fit it in my briefcase with all my other stuff. I'm also considering picking up one from Ink Leaf and one from Oberon. I will post a review once I get them!

B