#31 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2011 - 21:44

Old School 329? I have one or two, both purchased from isellpens only a few years ago. Is that old school? They seem fine... the 616 is comparable in nib smoothness but has a thicker section.

#32 celesul

celesul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 22:21

I found the Hero 329 and 330 to be the same as each other, but somewhat wetter and thinner than the 616. The nibs are also a touch stiffer on the 329 and 330. One of the Hero 329s is a bit leaky, which is annoying, so it and the fake Hero 616 are going to be saved for pen fixing experiments.

I've bought way, way too many Chinese FP (probably 20ish? I should start selling/trading some) and I've had only two duds, the fake 616 and one 329. I'm not a fan of my 001s, but they are functional. Even my no name Chinese FPs work!

I think we're only getting toward the point of having a Chinese pen sub-forum, let alone a Hero one. A combined Chinese-Indian sub-forum would effectively cover a lot of the lower cost pens...

#33 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 5,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2011 - 23:26

I found the Hero 329 and 330 to be the same as each other, but somewhat wetter and thinner than the 616. The nibs are also a touch stiffer on the 329 and 330. One of the Hero 329s is a bit leaky, which is annoying, so it and the fake Hero 616 are going to be saved for pen fixing experiments.

I've bought way, way too many Chinese FP (probably 20ish? I should start selling/trading some) and I've had only two duds, the fake 616 and one 329. I'm not a fan of my 001s, but they are functional. Even my no name Chinese FPs work!

I think we're only getting toward the point of having a Chinese pen sub-forum, let alone a Hero one. A combined Chinese-Indian sub-forum would effectively cover a lot of the lower cost pens...

Is the 001 the translucent type? If so, it had a nail of a nib that yet showed some interesting line variation.

I accidentally stubbed one of my Hero 616s.... it came out all right. Science experiments were made for cheap pens.

And a Chinese pen forum would make me very happy.

#34 Inked

Inked

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:59

OK, so Hero does a knock-off of Parker, and now someone is knocking off the knock-off?

I think I'd rather use a nail. At least if it didn't write well, I could use it to build something; instead of just crushing it under my heel.

Why not just get a Lamy, Pelikan or Waterman? I think it would be much more economical in the end, and you would even have a warranty.

Inked

It's not. A real Hero 616 is a rather lovely pen, and easy to obtain if I pay attention to who I'm buying it from. It's $5 from a reputable seller. I'm a college student, and fairly convinced that most fountain pens marketed in the US fall firmly in the category of 'luxury good'. I should hardly be buying luxury items prior to having a decent paying job. I have had absolutely zero trouble with my Hero 616, although I guess like any squeeze filler, it'd eventually need its sac replaced.

I do realise being a student is not always the easiest thing on the planet, financially, but you can get a Lamy on the web for $25(new & used), and 30 years from know you will still be using it.

So $25 divided by 30 years = $0.83 cents a year.

You will be able to give it to your child when they are a starving student.

Inked

#35 celesul

celesul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:49

@Sailor Kenshin:
They are the 360 degree pen. What they actually mean by this is that they are 360 degrees is held fairly vertically, and have 4 functional positions otherwise. They are slightly scratchy. They aren't dreadful, and they are pretty cheap, but I think a bit more of a novelty item than a proper pen. Eh, I'll probably try to sell them to someone who wants to try out the nib, but I don't see them ever being anyone's main pen. So far though, they don't dry out easily, so I guess I could see them being useful, particularly for odd colors.

@Inked:
Sure, I could get a Safari. But personally find them ugly, and I've not heard amazing things about them, and I'd need to get a converter. The Hero 616 I enjoy aesthetically, it's durable, it works perfectly, the ink never dries up in the nib even if I ignore it for weeks on end, it never skips, it always starts up, it is the perfect level of wetness, and it's just been trouble-free. I've also heard of people who managed to obtain Heros so long ago still finding them perfectly functional 20-30 years later. Even so, to match the price of the Safari that you are citing, it would only have to last 6 years, which I have no doubt it will easily do. Quite frankly, I'd be shocked if it ever broke without serious mistreatment.

I can get a Hero 616 for less than the cost of a Lamy converter... If it works, why shouldn't I? Furthermore, what if I want a few pens, so I can take notes in more than one color?

The issue isn't that I can't afford a more expensive pen. It's that I see anything over $15 as clearly falling in the luxury good category, and I see right now as a time to save money.

Also, I wanted to try out different pens, to experiment. I'm trading the ones I didn't find suitable for other pens and ink, until I get down to fewer pens that I really adore (I'm not foisting off the ones that don't work on others though, only the ones that seem reasonable, that I just don't like). I even managed to find one that flexes easily and well. Of all of the Chinese pens that have gone through my hands, I've had two that are dreadful and one that's kind of annoying. That's still extremely economical. It's probably over a 70% success rate.

I've been happy with my cheapo Chinese pens. If I like them, what is the problem?

#36 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 5,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:54

None, according to me, lol.

Ohh, the 360. Yes, I have one of those as well. A peculiar little pen, but since I enjoy oddities, I'm keeping it.

PS: And I have a Lamy Safari, too, but it's not in my regular rotation. Not knocking it for those who enjoy it, but the grip is troublesome for me.

Edited by Sailor Kenshin, 30 November 2011 - 12:56.

#37 celesul

celesul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 20:40

Ohh, the 360. Yes, I have one of those as well. A peculiar little pen, but since I enjoy oddities, I'm keeping it.

PS: And I have a Lamy Safari, too, but it's not in my regular rotation. Not knocking it for those who enjoy it, but the grip is troublesome for me.

Ha ^.^ I think you're one of the few.

So, I have two of the 360. I kind of want to keep one, as a novelty, but I'm not exactly a huge fan of using the thing. Maybe I can play with it a lot, and maybe it'll work better then... Regardless, I don't want two of them. I just don't end up using them enough to warrant that...

Yeah, for as much as I've heard that the Safari is lovely, I've also heard about issues with dry nibs, issues with the grip, etc. I'm not sure if I'd like the grip. I do like the Pilot Plumix (also, it looks like a squid! :roflmho:) but I think it has a more rounded bottom? I dunno. I'm pretty picky with grips, and the ones I like are often fairly rounded, small, and attached to a small pen without a step down to them. The Safari looks so big next to the Hero 616 (which is the same size as the Parker 51, I think?), which is the pen I've found by far the most comfortable to use.

#38 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 5,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2011 - 20:59

Ha ^.^ I think you're one of the few.

So, I have two of the 360. I kind of want to keep one, as a novelty, but I'm not exactly a huge fan of using the thing. Maybe I can play with it a lot, and maybe it'll work better then... Regardless, I don't want two of them. I just don't end up using them enough to warrant that...

Yeah, for as much as I've heard that the Safari is lovely, I've also heard about issues with dry nibs, issues with the grip, etc. I'm not sure if I'd like the grip. I do like the Pilot Plumix (also, it looks like a squid! :roflmho:) but I think it has a more rounded bottom? I dunno. I'm pretty picky with grips, and the ones I like are often fairly rounded, small, and attached to a small pen without a step down to them. The Safari looks so big next to the Hero 616 (which is the same size as the Parker 51, I think?), which is the pen I've found by far the most comfortable to use.

I have the Plumix, too (Mr. Squidward!), and its grip section is a bit smoother and more rounded than the Safari's, which looks and feels more angular.

For myself, I prefer a section that doesn't stand out in any way, and the 616s are good in that respect.

#39 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,365 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:22

Don't forget about nib/feed/breather tubes falling out of 616s when you are writing. Or breather tubes that come loose and float in the sac. Or nibs that are so poorly adjusted they don't write at all for tight tines. Or collectors that aren't really collectors but solid pieces of plastic that sort of look like collectors. Or those awful metal sac shields that keep you from actually filling the pen all the way so you end up taking it off. ;)

fpn_1405136194__fpn_1404594699__sg_tag.j sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#40 celesul

celesul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:56

Okay. Makes sense. I might eventually obtain a Safari, but only after trying it out. Honestly, for the step up from Chinese pens, I'm much more tempted by vintage. They might require a bit of work, but the style and size look better to me than the newer pens. The newer pens I'm drawn to are the silly ones (like the Pilot Plumix).

Don't forget about nib/feed/breather tubes falling out of 616s when you are writing. Or breather tubes that come loose and float in the sac. Or nibs that are so poorly adjusted they don't write at all for tight tines. Or collectors that aren't really collectors but solid pieces of plastic that sort of look like collectors. Or those awful metal sac shields that keep you from actually filling the pen all the way so you end up taking it off. ;)

Huh. That sounds maddening. I have to say, all of my Heros have been perfectly well behaved, except for one 329 with a slightly leaky section (it took me a while to figure out if I had just got a ton of ink in the cap, or if it was actually leaky...), and my 001s are a touch scratchy. Some of them have reasonable sac shields, but I've not got any pen that takes less than a regular converter full of ink with the sac, and the Hero 616 gets more the amount of a small eyedropper. Seriously, I've gotten it completely full... None of them have gotten worse with use so far either.

Edited by celesul, 01 December 2011 - 02:01.

#41 Inked

Inked

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:06

I've been happy with my cheapo Chinese pens. If I like them, what is the problem?

There is no problem.

All my pens work great and I always get exactly what I ordered. No fakes.

To each his own. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I wish you the best.

Inked

#42 celesul

celesul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:37

There is no problem.

All my pens work great and I always get exactly what I ordered. No fakes.

To each his own. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I wish you the best.

Inked

Erm. I apoligize. I think I came across as rude. :embarrassed_smile: I guess I just get a bit fed up with the seeming lack of consideration by almost everyone to the desire to be budget conscious. Regardless, I was snippy, which was uncalled for, and I apologize.

#43 Chris H

Chris H

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2011 - 14:03

I bought, a couple years ago, a 10-pack of 329s (the newer version) and a 10-pack of 616s. Some were good and some were lousy. That said, none of them can compare with my Sheaffer Cartridge or NoNonsense pens. The Sheaffer quality is vastly superior, IMO. And when I can pick up the Sheaffers for very nearly a song, why buy something which isn't as good? To me, in the end, it is the ultimate quality which matters. And the Sheaffer "cheapies" were far better made than the Heros I got -- fake or not. Besides, to my knowledge, there are no fakes of the Sheaffer pens. Just good USA quality from the day when the USA made quality. So the Hero pens have been retired and I'll probably get rid of them. The Sheaffers are in everyday use and still performing beautifully after 50 - 60 years. Those I'll pass on to my family.

Chris
Very much interested in Life, Liberty, and especially the pursuit of Happiness!

#44 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 5,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2011 - 14:19

Not doubting your experience, but I never got a bad 616 or 329 in my batches - and there are indeed fakes, which lack the quality of the real Hero.

Personal preference again- while I also have and use those Sheaffer pens, I like the way the Heros write and feel a bit better than I like the Sheaffers.

#45 Osmaroid

Osmaroid

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2011 - 16:55

I bought, a couple years ago, a 10-pack of 329s (the newer version) and a 10-pack of 616s. Some were good and some were lousy. That said, none of them can compare with my Sheaffer Cartridge or NoNonsense pens. The Sheaffer quality is vastly superior, IMO. And when I can pick up the Sheaffers for very nearly a song, why buy something which isn't as good? To me, in the end, it is the ultimate quality which matters. And the Sheaffer "cheapies" were far better made than the Heros I got -- fake or not. Besides, to my knowledge, there are no fakes of the Sheaffer pens. Just good USA quality from the day when the USA made quality. So the Hero pens have been retired and I'll probably get rid of them. The Sheaffers are in everyday use and still performing beautifully after 50 - 60 years. Those I'll pass on to my family.

Chris

I too do not doubt your experience as I too have had bad 616s that I now believe are fakes. I can also say that ones I got from reputable dealers varied from great to acceptable and that the build quality of those (from reputable dealers) was always quite acceptable. This is the real and insidious effect of counterfeits - the quality is assumed to be that of the genuine article and that opinion is frequently passed on to others in conversations etc. So in addition to sales lost to the counterfeiters, the manufacturer of the genuine article probably loses more sales to a damaged reputation, and it all happens with no malice whatever from all involved except from the counterfeiters themselves.

#46 phr4nkr4wk5

phr4nkr4wk5

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2011 - 21:16

Whoa, I'm thinking my pen might be fake too... Is there any definite way to tell?
my cheap (inexpensive) pen collection: Dollar 717i Demonstrator x2, fake Hero 616, Lamy Safari EF, Manuscript Dodec, Platinum Preppy F x6, Reform 1745, Sheaffer Calligraphy Pen

I am nerdier than 21% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to take the Nerd Test, get nerdy images and jokes, and talk on the nerd forum!

#47 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 5,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2011 - 21:51

The first post has a link to a site that notes some differences.

#48 phr4nkr4wk5

phr4nkr4wk5

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2011 - 18:32

Do the real ones have crooked clips?
my cheap (inexpensive) pen collection: Dollar 717i Demonstrator x2, fake Hero 616, Lamy Safari EF, Manuscript Dodec, Platinum Preppy F x6, Reform 1745, Sheaffer Calligraphy Pen

I am nerdier than 21% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to take the Nerd Test, get nerdy images and jokes, and talk on the nerd forum!

#49 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 00:40

phr-ank arfourwikfive

frank arthur wikey?

One of my 'genuine' jumbos had a clip that bent off to the right, it seemed to sit straight after I took the cap apart and reassembled. It was the 'runt', burgundy colour, cap took the most fettling, nib tines took longest to align. It runs with the pack now.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : Retro 51 Tornado Bocote Hardwood Rollerball, a Review

#50 phr4nkr4wk5

phr4nkr4wk5

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2011 - 15:01

phr-ank arfourwikfive

frank arthur wikey?

One of my 'genuine' jumbos had a clip that bent off to the right, it seemed to sit straight after I took the cap apart and reassembled. It was the 'runt', burgundy colour, cap took the most fettling, nib tines took longest to align. It runs with the pack now.

Bwahahaha. xD I like that analysis. phr4nkr4wk5 -> frankrocks. Yeah, come on, I'm 16, let me have some fun here...

Okay, so, I have come to the conclusion that if the eBay information page is to be trusted, my own personal Hero 616 is a fake. However, I'm not quite so sure. Per my own experiences, the pen I've got is not half bad. It works pretty well... The only things I'm not really satisfied with is the filling mechanism. It doesn't fill that easily... Also, I'm not really happy with the clip, as it's off-centre. -_- I have OCD, so that doesn't really get along with me. But the pen writes fine. It's not as if the pen spontaneously broke into a thousand pieces upon getting its first fill of ink or something like that. Are all of these fakes really fakes?

#51 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 5,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2011 - 15:35

Lol... well, a fake's a fake, and a real Hero is a real Hero.

This is not to say that a fake won't write well. But compared to the real thing, you're going to have a bigger percentage of non-starters.

As for filling, have you (gently!) disengaged that metal tube from the filler bulb? You can not only get a better fill that way but you can SEE how much ink is in there.

#52 phr4nkr4wk5

phr4nkr4wk5

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2011 - 15:45

Lol... well, a fake's a fake, and a real Hero is a real Hero.

This is not to say that a fake won't write well. But compared to the real thing, you're going to have a bigger percentage of non-starters.

As for filling, have you (gently!) disengaged that metal tube from the filler bulb? You can not only get a better fill that way but you can SEE how much ink is in there.

Ooh, yes, I am aware of the trick involving removing that metal bit. Thanks, though. Hm, so it's very, very definite that those fakes are, indeed, fakes, and not mere variations, or something along those lines? I just want to make sure. Oh, yeah, and there were two different fakes shown in the eBay link; mine seemed to match up with the top pen in the third image.

#53 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 5,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2011 - 15:51

I guess if the image matches, it's a fake. However, if it writes well for you, that's a plus, right?

You can also over-fill these bulbs/sacs so it seems like your pen has sprung a leak when it hasn't. After it's full you might want to try emptying a drop or two to make sure it doesn't 'run over.'

J Herbin Larme de Cassis-colored fingers taught me that trick.

#54 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 17:33

See this business with the caps, does Yespen's page suggest that fake caps are riveted together rather than screwed together, or need a special bit? If the fakes are riveted, I suppose that would be the give away.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : Retro 51 Tornado Bocote Hardwood Rollerball, a Review

#55 phr4nkr4wk5

phr4nkr4wk5

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2011 - 19:10

Argh, whatever; I don't know! xD I'm just going to go along with the most likely thing- that it's a fake. Oh well, I got the pen for free on our "Pay It Forward" thread anyway, so it's not as if it's a real loss for me... But thanks for the information, tips, and hints, guys. :D

#56 ISW_Kaputnik

ISW_Kaputnik

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2012 - 13:45

Glad I found this, as it's answered a question. I'd ordered a Hero 616 from an Amazon seller a while back, and just got around to trying it a couple of weeks ago. Without a question it was the most worthless thing I'd ever bought under the name of a fountain pen. After looking at the first post here, and the links to other information that it gave, well, that's the answer with a pretty high degree of certainty. I have a fake. $7.99 down the drain, but I'll just learn from it. At some point, if I buy something from iSellPens, which I've dealt with before, maybe I'll put one of these on the order so I can compare. On the other hand, I don't need another cheap pen, good or not.

I guess I need to be careful of Amazon as well as eBay, although again, I wasn't buying from Amazon itself but from somebody who sells on there.
“If you make people think they’re thinking, they’ll love you; but if you really make them think, they’ll hate you.” -- Don Marquis

#57 EenyBear

EenyBear

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 20:31

I ordered one (1) real, authentic, genuine, non-fake 616 Jumbo Doctor from an eBay seller who swore he was selling one (1) real, authentic, genuine, non-fake 616 Jumbo Doctor in the bubble pack with cardboard backing.

Instead, I received three (3) somewhat suspect 616s.  The familiar red/green/black triumvirate.  However the packaging is brilliant.

Ah well, I love an adventure!  Are they fake?  Are they even by Hero?  Who knows... and in the end I really do not care.

MY REVIEW

I dipped each one and they wrote acceptably.

They seem to hold and deliver ink very well when dipped.  A significant factor in their favor.

They came shipped in individual Plexiglas cases held securely in the central axis by a clever silicone donut.  Again, brilliant.

That alone was worth the acquisition, I suppose, as the cases could be used for more precious pens.

However, the pens are lighter than I prefer and I do not intend to keep them.

In fact, I do not intend on filling them and testing them further.

Does anyone want to trade these three pens for something in your collection that you do not want or need anymore?

Comparable value of no more than $20, for the sake of argument.  Might be fun.

I prefer vintage lever pens or c/c pens but am open to anything that writes at least as well as these three pens.

I would have put this in "classified" but for some reason am prevented from posting there. 

Perhaps my post count is too low.  Must remedy that as soon as I have something to say.

Best regards.

Edited by EenyBear, 06 March 2014 - 20:48.

#58 WirsPlm

WirsPlm

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 21:06

I ordered one (1) real, authentic, genuine, non-fake 616 Jumbo Doctor from an eBay seller who swore he was selling one (1) real, authentic, genuine, non-fake 616 Jumbo Doctor in the bubble pack with cardboard backing.

Instead, I received three (3) somewhat suspect 616s.  The familiar red/green/black triumvirate.  However the packaging is brilliant.
Ah well, I love an adventure!  Are they fake?  Are they even by Hero?  Who knows... and in the end I really do not care.

MY REVIEW
I dipped each one and they wrote acceptably.
They seem to hold and deliver ink very well when dipped.  A significant factor in their favor.

They came shipped in individual Plexiglas cases held securely in the central axis by a clever silicone donut.  Again, brilliant.
That alone was worth the acquisition, I suppose, as the cases could be used for more precious pens.

However, the pens are lighter than I prefer and I do not intend to keep them.
In fact, I do not intend on filling them and testing them further.

Does anyone want to trade these three pens for something in your collection that you do not want or need anymore?
Comparable value of no more than $20, for the sake of argument.  Might be fun.
I prefer vintage lever pens or c/c pens but am open to anything that writes at least as well as these three pens.
I would have put this in "classified" but for some reason am prevented from posting there. 
Perhaps my post count is too low.  Must remedy that as soon as I have something to say.

Best regards.

Unfortunately, there's no way that 3 fake Hero 616s are worth $20, the real ones are worth $3 apiece from a good supplier like isellpens.com, I recommend just getting a Jumbo Hero from him (they are about $8 there last I looked).

#59 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 5,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2014 - 21:23

Glad I found this, as it's answered a question. I'd ordered a Hero 616 from an Amazon seller a while back, and just got around to trying it a couple of weeks ago. Without a question it was the most worthless thing I'd ever bought under the name of a fountain pen. After looking at the first post here, and the links to other information that it gave, well, that's the answer with a pretty high degree of certainty. I have a fake. $7.99 down the drain, but I'll just learn from it. At some point, if I buy something from iSellPens, which I've dealt with before, maybe I'll put one of these on the order so I can compare. On the other hand, I don't need another cheap pen, good or not.

I guess I need to be careful of Amazon as well as eBay, although again, I wasn't buying from Amazon itself but from somebody who sells on there.

Even if it was from another seller, was it covered by Amazon's return policy? We just sent back a coffeemaker sold as new which clearly was not.

#60 EenyBear

EenyBear

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 21:50

Unfortunately, there's no way that 3 fake Hero 616s are worth $20, the real ones are worth $3 apiece from a good supplier like isellpens.com, I recommend just getting a Jumbo Hero from him (they are about $8 there last I looked).

Good advice for isellpens.  Thanks.

I wondered if anyone would overlook the obvious camaraderie and fun of the offer and pounce on the "...up to $20..." as some sort of misrepresentation.  I did not think anyone would interpret this as a declaration of value.  I said "up to..." for that very reason.  I actually paid $12 incl shipping and, at the time... for what I thought I was getting... I was satisfied.  I didn't get what I wanted, but someone may want them and may have something they don't want.  Better than the landfill.

Besides, value is relative for someone who glances up at a forgotten pen that's been gathering dust on a shelf for a while.  Someone might have an old school pen or "student" something pen that they don't use and may want some functional gift pens in a swap. 

Pretty straightforward.   It matters not to me, one way or the other.

I expect no takers but if you have something for a perceived value of at least $5, I will trade.  How's that?  Let's all get along.  :)  Thanks.

Beyond this post, I'll drop the issue entirely.  I meant no harm.

Best regards,