76 replies to this topic

#1 celesul

celesul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:54

When I received this package, I was so pleased, because I really adore my Hero 616, and that's what I thought I was getting. I bought from an American ebay seller. When I opened the package, it was clearly not the same pen. The cap looked different and the plastic felt cheap and disposable. After I rinsed the pen (with soap and water, as always), the sac turned milky and white and I found a small hole in it. :crybaby:

Posted Image

This thing is a piece of #$@&! I was so excited to get another Hero 616 because my last experience was so good, but when I got this pen, I noticed that it looked different from mine and the barrel plastic felt cheap and disposable. The metal part of the squeeze filler is loose and so thin that it easily bends.
Appearance & Design: Looks very much like the Hero 616, which I like a great deal.

Construction & Quality: This the pen's greatest weak point. The plastic feels cheap, the cap fits oddly, and the squeeze filler got a hole in it, so I'm writing this by dipping it. The terrible quality of this pen makes it functionally unusable.

Posted Image

Weight & Dimensions: A bit light.

Nib & Performance: Okay, skips occasionally.

Filling System and Maintenance: It broke...

Cost & Value: This pen is worth $0 and I paid $3 for it. This pen is not even worth it if it is given to you.

Conclusion: I now know why my beloved Hero 616 has such a terrible reputation. This fake is a dreadful pen. Buy your Heros from a reputable seller!

For more information on fakes of the Hero 616: YesPen's Ebay Guide

This thread. It has much better photos than mine!

The green pen is my Hero 616, the red is the fake.
Posted Image

The one of the right is real.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The real one has a much larger sac.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The fake's sac turned milky white after being washed. :blink: It feels cheap and weak. The real one is filled with Noodlers Black.
Posted Image

#2 deeroo

deeroo

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:45

*hug* I love my Hero 616 and feel your pain.

#3 AndyLa

AndyLa

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:20

I ordered a 10pk from a Chinese seller 2 weeks ago and have been impatiently waiting for them to arrive! Unfortunately it's a bit hard to tell if it's real or fake from their pictures sometimes. Have you emailed the seller? Maybe you could work something out.

#4 Osmaroid

Osmaroid

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2011 - 14:59

Thanks for an excellent review and for bringing attention to the counterfeiting of Hero 616's. I was bitten a few years ago when I got a 10 pack for about $10 - at least the sacs were good in mine and I got 10 cheap sacs for use in repairs! In my experience it is hard to convince others that such a cheap pen is counterfeited, hence the bad reputation persists. My genuine 616's, while not of Parker 51 performance, do get remarkably close to that great pen considering their low cost. In my experience it is worth paying a dollar or two extra and buying from a reputable dealer such as Isellpens (no affiliatioon, just a satisfied customer).

#5 kalali

kalali

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2011 - 16:14

It is just amazing that people go through the trouble of faking a pen that is essentially a fake to begin with...That said, both of my 616s perform flawlessly and I did buy them from the seller mentioned above.

#6 celesul

celesul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 22:14

My real one is also from isellpens (they were even on sale!) It seems like the other pens are much, much safer to get on ebay than the Hero 616 is, because they aren't as well known, so they aren't faked.

I have not managed to resolve it with the seller. While it is a fake, and I'm not sure how to approach that in terms of giving rep, it was a very cheap one, and honestly would be irritating to return.

#7 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 22:58

What a very good idea for a review. I knew how to spot 616 fakes, now I know what an awful pens they are to live with too. I'm loving the real 616 jumbos, use them every day :thumbup:

Edited by Flounder, 10 November 2011 - 22:58.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : Jinhao 321 giveaway

#8 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:33

i dunno... could it be that the "fake" one is actually the standard while the "real" one is the jumbo?
Lovemy51 Posted Image

pleese, forgeeve my bad espelling!! Posted Image

#9 celesul

celesul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:24

i dunno... could it be that the "fake" one is actually the standard while the "real" one is the jumbo?

No, the pens are the exact same size, although the proportions are a bit different. The Hero 616 jumbo and the standard Hero 616 are different sizes. Furthermore, there is not a reputed quality difference between the two, and just from touching the pen, the quality difference is obvious. They are made very differently. For example, the hole in the end of the barrel of the Hero 616 is smooth. The fake's is very ragged. Everything about it clearly screams out fake. (And if you are wondering why you'd fake it... there is profit to be made, and this is from China, where a smaller amount of money gets you much further).

#10 lovemy51

lovemy51

• Member - Gold

• 4,484 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:51

very sad, indeed!
Lovemy51 Posted Image

#11 Osmaroid

Osmaroid

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 November 2011 - 16:42

Just to add another comment, there appear to be more than one manufacturer making the fakes, and some are harder to spot. Telltales can be things like poor engraving of the name and of the lines on the cap, poor formation of the shroud around the aeromatic filler, poor tips on the nib etc,, not to mention the poor performance when you try to use them (by then, it's too late of course). In the multi packs, the printing on the blister pack is slightly sloppier and the hologram seems less well defined. All of this shows that it can be very difficult to spot the fakes if you don't actually have them in your hand, which is why I recommend always buying this pen from a reputable supplier - they are still a bargain.

By the way, these are not the only counterfeits in the fountain pen world. A counterfeit is a pen not only looking like the real thing, but also labelled as the real thing, so I don't include look-alikes, work-alikes that have a different name here. There are the very obvious MontBlanc knockoffs that bear little relationship to the real thing when you get down to filling mechanisms etc., and then there are the extremely good counterfeits of the Parker Sonnet ("good" does not mean AS good....) - see http://www.stylophil...7-06/07sonn.htm I don't know of others, but I am sure they are out there.

Edited by Osmaroid, 11 November 2011 - 16:43.

#12 lsmith42

lsmith42

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,538 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 16:48

Wow... knockoffs of the knockoffs... a new low, even for Shanzhai... :rolleyes:
MB Hemingway M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Leonard Bernstein F; Shaw B; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 236 flexy OBB; gold/citrine Le Grand F; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 146 M; 162 RB

#13 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,227 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 19:11

This is a surprise. I bought 10 at the London Pen Show in 2009 from a reputable seller to give away basically.

I have just two left, those two look like fakes to me.

I have to say that they behave perfectly, at least as well as a Parker 21, for example.

Spelling is a lossed art

#14 lovemy51

lovemy51

• Member - Gold

• 4,484 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 21:30

honestly, while appalled by these fakes of the 616... they are all, including the 616, f-a-k-e-s!!!!!!

i had a few of the fakes and a couple of real ones (bought from isellpens) and to me they write the same.
Lovemy51 Posted Image

#15 J English Smith

J English Smith

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,414 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 21:35

I don't know whether the lower quality ones are the "regulars" or not - the main difference for me is that they don't fill as well, and the fit and finish of the cap is poorer. The nibs are about the same.

I recently ordered another "Jumbo" just so I'd have a backup - I now have three and the others are the cheapies. I'm giving those away bit by bit...
"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."
-Marlowe, in The Long Goodbye

#16 Inked

Inked

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:18

OK, so Hero does a knock-off of Parker, and now someone is knocking off the knock-off?

I think I'd rather use a nail. At least if it didn't write well, I could use it to build something; instead of just crushing it under my heel.

Why not just get a Lamy, Pelikan or Waterman? I think it would be much more economical in the end, and you would even have a warranty.

Inked

#17 celesul

celesul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:04

OK, so Hero does a knock-off of Parker, and now someone is knocking off the knock-off?

I think I'd rather use a nail. At least if it didn't write well, I could use it to build something; instead of just crushing it under my heel.

Why not just get a Lamy, Pelikan or Waterman? I think it would be much more economical in the end, and you would even have a warranty.

Inked

It's not. A real Hero 616 is a rather lovely pen, and easy to obtain if I pay attention to who I'm buying it from. It's $5 from a reputable seller. I'm a college student, and fairly convinced that most fountain pens marketed in the US fall firmly in the category of 'luxury good'. I should hardly be buying luxury items prior to having a decent paying job. I have had absolutely zero trouble with my Hero 616, although I guess like any squeeze filler, it'd eventually need its sac replaced.

#18 manashttu

manashttu

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:47

I got a batch of the fakes, too. They look ok, but next to the real 616, much cheaper build. Also, I have one by one experienced leaks from the nib or sac in each one I've used. Several of the nibs were very good---just the build quality won't hold up through multiple loads of ink.

#19 Osmaroid

Osmaroid

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2011 - 14:41

I'd just like to comment on the posts calling the Genuine Hero 616 a fake - it isn't. If it were a fake, it would say "Parker" on the cap, not "Hero". It is one of the many Parker 51 lookalikes (would you call a Waterman Flash a "fake"?). It is either a "look-alike" or an homage, depending on your point of view. The fake Hero 616 pens say "Hero 616" on the cap.

Edited by Osmaroid, 15 November 2011 - 14:42.

#20 M@rtin

M@rtin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 November 2011 - 17:17

interesting review...fake Hero 616... :unsure:

#21 crunchmaster

crunchmaster

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:27

Forgive me, but I'm still skeptical. I'm not convinced either way. Without confirmation from someone like a Hero factory rep, we can't know for sure if the differences are because of counterfeits or because of changes by Hero. The pens are already incredibly cheap, so who's to say that Hero wouldn't make some changes to make them even cheaper, like smaller sacs made from cheaper material? If big-name manufacturers of fancy, expensive pens can make changes to save costs, why can't a Chinese manufacturer of cheap pens?

I, too, bought a 10-pen blister pack a while back. I don't have the packaging, so I can't speak about the logo. I can say that some of them have sacs that turned milky when flushed with soap, and others from the same pack did not turn milky--so I don't think that's necessarily an indicator, unless we can prove that none of the known-genuine pens have sacs that change. And unless we can round up a representative sample of pens from a range of appearances and ages, we just can't know for certain.

Maybe there are counterfeit 616s--or maybe Hero's quality control has deteriorated--or maybe they cheapened the materials or manufacturing process--or maybe there are several Hero factories, and not all of them are equal. As far as I can tell, the truth is, we just don't know for certain.

#22 celesul

celesul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:57

Forgive me, but I'm still skeptical. I'm not convinced either way. Without confirmation from someone like a Hero factory rep, we can't know for sure if the differences are because of counterfeits or because of changes by Hero. The pens are already incredibly cheap, so who's to say that Hero wouldn't make some changes to make them even cheaper, like smaller sacs made from cheaper material? If big-name manufacturers of fancy, expensive pens can make changes to save costs, why can't a Chinese manufacturer of cheap pens?

I, too, bought a 10-pen blister pack a while back. I don't have the packaging, so I can't speak about the logo. I can say that some of them have sacs that turned milky when flushed with soap, and others from the same pack did not turn milky--so I don't think that's necessarily an indicator, unless we can prove that none of the known-genuine pens have sacs that change. And unless we can round up a representative sample of pens from a range of appearances and ages, we just can't know for certain.

Maybe there are counterfeit 616s--or maybe Hero's quality control has deteriorated--or maybe they cheapened the materials or manufacturing process--or maybe there are several Hero factories, and not all of them are equal. As far as I can tell, the truth is, we just don't know for certain.

Oh, they do change models sometimes. They changed the 330 and 329 for the worse recently, certainly. The model number on them is now painted on. Hero is one of the nicer pen brands in China though, and they maintain certain standards. They aren't trouble free, but no pen company that I've heard of is.

The differences between the real Hero 616 and the fake are numerous and not sort of changes you'd make if you already had the equipment to make better.

I did eventually patch up the sac with clear nail polish to see how it'd work after that. Given the precarious nature of the fix, it's not exactly a pen I carry with me, but it can write, and it's not too scratchy. Regardless, the feel of the pen is very, very different from my Hero 616, or even my other Hero models. It very closely matches some no name Chinese pens that I have (and actually kind of like), although the plastic used is disgustingly cheap.

Regardless, knowledgeable reputable sellers, including Chinese sellers like Yespen, say there are fakes, and if you buy Heros in the markets, you can often get fakes, and you should buy them instead in department stores. The markets have fairly impressive quantities of fake stuff, actually, which you figure out when wandering through them.

I guess we don't know beyond all reasonable doubt that they are fakes, but I'd be surprised if they weren't. I think a lot of all this mess is actually the Chinese made = bad thing that a lot of Americans have, so most people will always think the worst of any Chinese manufacturer. I was definitely cured of that thought when I started cubing. Rubiks brand cubes are bad for speedcubing, while I was able to pick up a "magic cube" in a small general shop in a random narrow alley in Beijing and find a perfect speedcube.

Anyway, I'm sticking with reputable sellers, like isellpens, hisnibs, goldquills, speerbob, yespen, and ahai006. Then I don't have to deal with probable fakes and sellers who didn't necessarily realize that.

#23 Osmaroid

Osmaroid

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2011 - 14:47

Oh, they do change models sometimes. They changed the 330 and 329 for the worse recently, certainly. The model number on them is now painted on. Hero is one of the nicer pen brands in China though, and they maintain certain standards. They aren't trouble free, but no pen company that I've heard of is.

The differences between the real Hero 616 and the fake are numerous and not sort of changes you'd make if you already had the equipment to make better.

I did eventually patch up the sac with clear nail polish to see how it'd work after that. Given the precarious nature of the fix, it's not exactly a pen I carry with me, but it can write, and it's not too scratchy. Regardless, the feel of the pen is very, very different from my Hero 616, or even my other Hero models. It very closely matches some no name Chinese pens that I have (and actually kind of like), although the plastic used is disgustingly cheap.

Regardless, knowledgeable reputable sellers, including Chinese sellers like Yespen, say there are fakes, and if you buy Heros in the markets, you can often get fakes, and you should buy them instead in department stores. The markets have fairly impressive quantities of fake stuff, actually, which you figure out when wandering through them.

I guess we don't know beyond all reasonable doubt that they are fakes, but I'd be surprised if they weren't. I think a lot of all this mess is actually the Chinese made = bad thing that a lot of Americans have, so most people will always think the worst of any Chinese manufacturer. I was definitely cured of that thought when I started cubing. Rubiks brand cubes are bad for speedcubing, while I was able to pick up a "magic cube" in a small general shop in a random narrow alley in Beijing and find a perfect speedcube.

Anyway, I'm sticking with reputable sellers, like isellpens, hisnibs, goldquills, speerbob, yespen, and ahai006. Then I don't have to deal with probable fakes and sellers who didn't necessarily realize that.

Nicely summarized. For those doubting the existance of Hero fakes, see this earlier FPN posting (and also all the references it gives) at http://www.fountainp...9166-fake-pens/ One final thing - almost an admission of fakes by Hero themselves - I know of no reason to add a hologram of the manufacturer to a package (as on the blister pack) other than an early way to distinguish real from fakes. Unfortunately such protection was short lived and counterfeits now also sport holograms.

Edited by Osmaroid, 27 November 2011 - 14:48.

#24 crunchmaster

crunchmaster

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:17

Nicely summarized. For those doubting the existance of Hero fakes, see this earlier FPN posting (and also all the references it gives) at http://www.fountainp...9166-fake-pens/ One final thing - almost an admission of fakes by Hero themselves - I know of no reason to add a hologram of the manufacturer to a package (as on the blister pack) other than an early way to distinguish real from fakes. Unfortunately such protection was short lived and counterfeits now also sport holograms.

The thread you linked to links to this:

http://www.fountainp...ost__p__1055023

And I'm afraid that post doesn't prove anything, because it seems that he compared a 616 with a 616 Jumbo and came away thinking the 616 was a fake and the Jumbo was real.

Also, in that post there is a marked difference between the two caps in the closeup of the "616" engraving--but my non-Jumbo 616 has the same engraving as his 616 Jumbo. And some of my 616s' sacs turned milky when washed with soap.

Also, in this link cited as canonical:

http://stores.ebay.c...e-hero-pen.html

The seller shows this photo:

http://www.myxinye.c...ero616TRUE4.jpg

And he claims the top two are fakes. But my 616s, which have the good-looking caps that others claim are genuine caps, have the sacs and sac covers that YesPen claims are fake! And I have an apparently-genuine Hero 329 that has the sac covers that he claims are fake.

I'm sorry, but it just doesn't add up. There's clearly a mixture of components, some of which are inferior (probably cheaper to produce). Since some "genuine" parts show up on pens with "fake" parts, I can only conclude that the "fake" parts we have seen are practically meaningless in determining authenticity.

Finally, the pen in this photo:

http://www.fountainp...-1242096231.jpg

...is not even an issue, because it's not labeled as a Hero pen and has a completely different cap--it's not even trying to look like a real 616.

The hologram is interesting, but it doesn't prove anything--maybe they just wanted to jazz up the packaging to increase sales (cf. "Scrooge's Plain Old Soap").

I'm no expert, but I'm not convinced of the economic viability of counterfeiting 616s. The margins are small enough for the genuine ones. It would be like someone counterfeiting Bic Clics--how could anyone compete with Bic's production power and economies of scale? If you think about the investments of time and money into creating a production line that makes pens that look like 616s, reverse-engineering the process and making adjustments and test batches until they reach an acceptable level of quality, it seems to me that it would only make sense for higher-margin items. I can't help but think of the stories of TWSBI's Diamond 530/540, how many adjustments they had to make in the design process, and then more when it came to actual production, and later even more refinements...and that's for a $40-50 pen.

YesPen may be a reputable seller, but I'm not convinced that he has first-hand knowledge about the 616s and potential counterfeit 616s. I'm not certain either way, but the more evidence I see, the more I suspect that if we are ever able to get the truth from Hero itself (and who knows if they'd even admit to making inferior versions), we'll find out that some 616s are simply better made than others. I suspect that instead of warning people of counterfeit 616s we should be warning people of inferior production runs.

#25 Osmaroid

Osmaroid

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:48

The thread you linked to links to this:

http://www.fountainp...ost__p__1055023

And I'm afraid that post doesn't prove anything, because it seems that he compared a 616 with a 616 Jumbo and came away thinking the 616 was a fake and the Jumbo was real.

Also, in that post there is a marked difference between the two caps in the closeup of the "616" engraving--but my non-Jumbo 616 has the same engraving as his 616 Jumbo. And some of my 616s' sacs turned milky when washed with soap.

Also, in this link cited as canonical:

http://stores.ebay.c...e-hero-pen.html

The seller shows this photo:

http://www.myxinye.c...ero616TRUE4.jpg

And he claims the top two are fakes. But my 616s, which have the good-looking caps that others claim are genuine caps, have the sacs and sac covers that YesPen claims are fake! And I have an apparently-genuine Hero 329 that has the sac covers that he claims are fake.

I'm sorry, but it just doesn't add up. There's clearly a mixture of components, some of which are inferior (probably cheaper to produce). Since some "genuine" parts show up on pens with "fake" parts, I can only conclude that the "fake" parts we have seen are practically meaningless in determining authenticity.

Finally, the pen in this photo:

http://www.fountainp...-1242096231.jpg

...is not even an issue, because it's not labeled as a Hero pen and has a completely different cap--it's not even trying to look like a real 616.

The hologram is interesting, but it doesn't prove anything--maybe they just wanted to jazz up the packaging to increase sales (cf. "Scrooge's Plain Old Soap").

I'm no expert, but I'm not convinced of the economic viability of counterfeiting 616s. The margins are small enough for the genuine ones. It would be like someone counterfeiting Bic Clics--how could anyone compete with Bic's production power and economies of scale? If you think about the investments of time and money into creating a production line that makes pens that look like 616s, reverse-engineering the process and making adjustments and test batches until they reach an acceptable level of quality, it seems to me that it would only make sense for higher-margin items. I can't help but think of the stories of TWSBI's Diamond 530/540, how many adjustments they had to make in the design process, and then more when it came to actual production, and later even more refinements...and that's for a $40-50 pen.

YesPen may be a reputable seller, but I'm not convinced that he has first-hand knowledge about the 616s and potential counterfeit 616s. I'm not certain either way, but the more evidence I see, the more I suspect that if we are ever able to get the truth from Hero itself (and who knows if they'd even admit to making inferior versions), we'll find out that some 616s are simply better made than others. I suspect that instead of warning people of counterfeit 616s we should be warning people of inferior production runs.

I cannot find references specifically to fakes of Hero pens, except on FPN and other pen pages here and in the UK. Nothing that gives data from other than a user source. However, I would be amazed if Hero ran two such differeent constructions as shown for the two larger pens in your second link. I believe from what I have read that we may well be dealing with several counterfeiters, which really confuses the issue.

As to whether it is worthwhile to counterfeit such a cheap pen, if counterfeits and counterfeiting operations in other areas of technolgy are anything to go by, probably, though for the domestic market rather than export I would think. The costs of setting up are not that great - the most expensive part is injection molding tooling as the bodies can't be made viably any other way. But that can be very cheap, especially if the molds are formed by using the genuine parts to cast a simple mold. I have seen photos of factories making counterfeit product in the audio industry - they look more like a garage operation than what we would consider a production line and use very inexpensive tooling. This is not the case with factories making genuine branded products - they are what we would expect.

Apparently there is a whole area in China, Wengang, that has been making pens for centuries and where numerous counterfeiters operate along with the genuine brands' factories - there is quite an article that was published in the Los Angeles Times http://articles.lati...s/fi-fakepens17 It is fascinating reading, but it does not deal with fakes of Chinese brands.

So I guess there is no actual proof one way or the other - Hero just could be making multiple different varieties of the 616 with different parts and finish in each, but it doesn't make any sense for an established manufacturer to do this and sell them all side by side. It does not appear to be a case of "cheapening" a product as the "fakes" have been noted for quite a few years and by now, if it was just Hero changing how they built them, the "good" pens would have sold through and no longer be available.That would seem to indicate that, if they are all from Hero, they are using multiple lines, each making a different pen to be labelled as a 616.

By the way, one indicator on the pens I have that I think are fakes is the poor lettering on the cap compared to others I think are "genuine", and the performance seems to go with what I believe - the "fakes" really are quite bad, where the "genuine" ones are good or can be made good with minor nib tweaking.

When we finally get down to it, it doesn't matter if we find proof that fakes exist. In all cases, the poorer versions seem to come from eBay transactions, frequently with Asian dealers. By paying about $5 from a reputable dealer such as Isellpens (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer) it seems that only the better made versions are delivered. That may be three times the per pen bulk price on eBay, but it's still not much more than a cup of coffee and worth it for peace of mind.

#26 crunchmaster

crunchmaster

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:54

That's an interesting article; thanks for sharing it. I'm highly skeptical of their claimed 7.5 billion pens made and sold just from Wengang in a single year--even with their 3,100 pen businesses in that town of 70,000, that averages out to about 6,700 pens per day per business, or 420 per hour, and most of those businesses must be very small operations.

I think something we should keep in mind is that these companies and their government operate with a very different set of values and morals than most Japanese and Western companies. It seems that honesty is less important than apparent dignity and, of course, greed. In general it seems like they have no qualms about inflating numbers or telling outright lies. And in that town, they don't take kindly to the curious. haha So I doubt we'll ever know the truth about these 616s. It's interesting, though!

#27 celesul

celesul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:54

I sincerely doubt that the profit margins of the fakes are very large, but the decrease in quality between the real and the fake makes me think that it's quite possible to make some money. The cost of cabbage in China this year is about 1 mao per kilo. That's about 1.5 cents. Jian bing (a large savory crepe with crunchy stuff and an egg inside, that makes a good meal) cost 2 kuai, about 25 cents on the streets of Beijing. So, to make the fakes worth it, there only has to be a very small profit margin. Furthermore, the Hero 616 sells for about $1, I think, in China. If you look on taobao.com (it's only in Chinese, so you'll have to use a translation tool), you'll find out that it's easy to pick up a fountain pen for about 1 kuai, or 15 cents. We're talking about a very, very different price range here.

#28 lovemy51

lovemy51

• Member - Gold

• 4,484 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:06

we should have a Hero 616 sub forum! :happyberet:
Lovemy51 Posted Image

#29 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,586 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2011 - 16:22

Ditto!

I bought a bunch of 616s from a reputable dealer, which worked out to be the same price. I haven't yet encountered a dud in the bunch, and I have given some away.

And we should have a Hero sub-forum. Yes, yes we should.

#30 AlejoPlay

AlejoPlay

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 November 2011 - 17:29

Ditto!

I bought a bunch of 616s from a reputable dealer, which worked out to be the same price. I haven't yet encountered a dud in the bunch, and I have given some away.

And we should have a Hero sub-forum. Yes, yes we should.

How do they compare to the old school Hero 329s? (of which I have a bunch . . . I bought a lot on eBay and 1/4 of them were duds, but the other 3/4 are very good writers and I like to keep a few in my pencil case). I would be interested in getting the Jumbo size and I'm assuming yespen on eBay is a decent vendor.