Ink Drop From Goulet Pens

Ryder Blade

I've read up the reviews on the GouletPens website about the Ink Drop membership but I was wondering, when it says 2ml for each ink sample, is that enough to fill up the FP only once or does it specifically depend on the pen?

Edited by Ryder Blade

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GOB Bluth

• WOBentley

• amberleadavis

• Ryder Blade

I've read up the reviews on the GouletPens website about the Ink Drop membership but I was wondering, when it says 2ml for each ink sample, is that enough to fill up the FP only once or does it specifically depend on the pen?

If you have a standard international type converter it's at least twice (if not more). If you're talking about a Pelikan m215 piston fill it's probably 1 1/2 times.

Pelikan m1000 might not be even once (I'm not sure how much bigger they are than the m215).

So essentially it is pen dependent but I'd say for most C/C or middle of the road pens it's more than one fill. It's certainly enough ink to get a very good impression as to whether you like it or not. I'd say at least 5 pages of writing, more using a fine-ish nib.

Edited by RGH

+1: Agreed. I usually get at least two fills out of Goulet samples, but presumably piston fillers would be excepted. (This post made me realize I've never tried a sample ink in my piston-fill pens.)

-eo

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

The important thing is not to stop questioning. --Albert Einstein

I agree 1-2 fills although it can take some acrobatics to get all of the ink if all you own is piston or vac fillers (although it can be done with the feed flooding method Brian Goulet demonstrates on his webpage). Yet more justification for more types of pens (I gotta have a snorkel/eyedropper/etc...)

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

I basically count on one fill...

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

I do partial fills in different not-currently-in-active-use pens to see if I like how the ink works with the nibs. Generally I'm not willing to declare an ink unworthy until I've tried it in a variety of nibs to make sure I don't somehow overlook an ink's potential...but I'm a little more paranoid about missing the holy grail ink/nib combo than most people, I think. :rolleyes:

Definitely enough for one full fill in most pens, though.

In my penwrap: Visconti Opera Master Clear Demo; Visconti Van Gogh Maxi in Musk Green; Visconti Art Nouveau; Pilot Decimo LE in Sparkly Red; Pilot M90; TWSBI Diamond 540 ROC100

If you're not sure that you want to commit to Ink Drop, you could order a couple of ink samples from the Goulets. The individual ink samples are the same size as the ones that they send out with Ink Drop, and they use the same vials. Or you can do Ink Drop for just one month. No affiliation with GPC, just an impressed customer.

Oh, and I can usually fill my Safari with a Z24 converter 2 times with one of the samples, so I guess it's equal to about 3 short international carts. Something like a TWSBI 540, though, gets about 4/5 of a fill. It's definitely enough ink to decide whether or not I like it or can use it.

A question for Ink Drop program members: What do you do with all those empty vials which have accumulated after several months of membership?

A question for Ink Drop program members: What do you do with all those empty vials which have accumulated after several months of membership?

Use them to trade and gift samples to friends of bottled inks that I have.

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

To put 2 mL into perspective, a standard international cartridge is about 0.5-0.6 mL. I dispense my Ink Drop samples with a syringe, 0.5 mL at a time, so I try each ink in 4 different pens.

Music, verily, is the mediator between intellectual and sensuous life, the one incorporeal entrance into the high world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend. -Ludwig van Beethoven

I want to preface this question by saying that I trust the Goulet's have the best intentions possible, so please do not take this as criticism.

Why is inkdrop $10 / month when you can go on their site and buy the samples for past inkdrops for $6.50 - $7.50 for the lot?

http://www.gouletpens.com/Ink_Sample_Package_Ink_Drop_September_2011_p/isp-id-0911.htm

I want to preface this question by saying that I trust the Goulet's have the best intentions possible, so please do not take this as criticism.

Why is inkdrop $10 / month when you can go on their site and buy the samples for past inkdrops for $6.50 - $7.50 for the lot?

http://www.gouletpen...isp-id-0911.htm

The $10/month includes the cost of shipping. So, if you add $6.95 shipping costs to the past inkdrops packages, that would be your actual total costs.

The $10/month includes the cost of shipping. So, if you add $6.95 shipping costs to the past inkdrops packages, that would be your actual total costs.

The membership fee includes the 5 inks, first-class shipping, as well as access to all the members-only discounts (i.e. 10% off the full bottles, other special sales and deals).

In addition to the additional discounts that Rachel mentioned there is also the wonderful element of surprise. It's a fun thing to look forward to the beginning of each month.

The 2 ml. doesn't sound like much but it's really very adequate to determine if you would want to commit to an entire bottle.

I find that I really like many of the colors that they send, but I never would have picked them myself. Course, I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not considering how much ink I have now! Take Cactus Fruit Eel for example, never would have tried that, now I love it.

Sheaffer Targa - Parker Penman Sapphire----- Luoshi - Silk Road Green

Twsbi - Noodler's North African Violet-----Lamy Vista - Noodler's Marine Green

WTB Lamy Terracotta and Savannah, Sweden LE, Japan LE

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd273/BrownEyedGirl248/Avatars/InkDrop.jpgMember since 1-28-11

although it can be done with the feed flooding method Brian Goulet demonstrates on his website...

Could you point me to the spot on the website? Not sure where to look for it.

Thanks.

By the way, I received my first lot yesterday. With the exception of the Nikita all the other samples were new to me. Liked them all. Still getting used to filling the pens from the vile. I just used a syringe and filled my piston fillers by removing the nib unit. Worked well.

How's this for service! Click on the link below and you will be taken to the video.

Feed Saturation Pen Filling Method

Edited by WOBentley

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

The membership fee includes the 5 inks, first-class shipping, as well as access to all the members-only discounts (i.e. 10% off the full bottles, other special sales and deals).

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies :3! I was just wondering since I usually only get a few dollars a week as my 'allowance' so I wasn't sure whether or not it's worth it.

• 2 years later...
Guest Ray Cornett

Lets not forget the candy, stickers, and book marks. That all costs money :)