Montblanc...worth The Money?

humsin

I can't believe this thread is still going.

You did see my disclaimer, correct? It should cover most issues.

I could move this thread to the Lamy forum since we are talking about German pens.

There is not a TWISBI forum that I'm aware of.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SamCapote

• FarmBoy

• lsmith42

• andybiotic

<°++++<

Down here you would need to release this one, it isn't big enough to keep.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I can't believe this thread is still going.

You did see my disclaimer, correct? It should cover most issues.

I could move this thread to the Lamy forum since we are talking about German pens.

There is not a TWISBI forum that I'm aware of.

Oh so now you are asking if the Dunhill Sentryman is justified with its hefty price tag, declaring superiority, costing many hundreds of dollars more, and has become overrated as compared to the humble TWSBI? I saw all that legal mumbo jumbo small print trying to hide what we all know is really going on down on the farm....and No Sir! We the 99% will not stand idly by watching our defenseless TWSBI get so mercilessly attacked. Protests are being organized and heading for nearest farms in thousands of cities. Oh wait...farms are in the country....well we will figure it out and just keep marching until we smell the cow manure.

Way to stir this all back up again!!!

Next thing you will start seeing people swoop in to say how much they love Dunhill, despite their recent egregious lawsuits against the humble Bebalcan Fashion Company, and again swooping down to squash an innocent TradeKey company in Pakistan who are just trying to help feed their famiilies. Oh the inhumanity.

Then others will come along saying they didn't see anything "Troll-like" in your last post....but crept out from under your bridge you did. Actually, I didn't know trolls lived on farms. Just leave the poor TWSBI's alone, oh wait...I mean...Just leave the poor Dunhills alone....and like....go milk some cows....or lead some horses to water....Yeah, that's it.....just leave poor Dunhill alone to make their dear, sweet, gentle profits....and do their marketing and advertising to build up their brand so their horses can get to the water... or something. :roflmho:

Edited by SamCapote

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

What's a TWSBI and what's a troll hook??

I don't think I broke any forum rules...at least i hope not.

The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

Here ya go.

Really not to into that Search function, eh? :) Joking. Mostly -- it really is helpful when relatively new to any forum/board to see if something has been discussed before. In fact, I pretty much always use it before starting a new thread or asking a question -- won't matter how long I've been on the board. Maybe it's just me, but I see it as trying to be respectful of the community at large. Sometimes I miss something and start something redundant anyway, put still seems like a good idea to try first. Anyway, TWSBI is a pen brand much discussed on the FPN.

I'm not sure you broke any general forum rules (a mod would weigh in if you did), but if you had posted this on the MB forum it wouldn't have been so clear; this is from the rules regarding prohibited posts on the MB sub-forum (and I think it's just that your OP was interpreted by many as venturing into this territory), also known as a "troll hook":

"Incendiary posts, also known as "trolling", "stirring the pot" or "flamebait": Posts with content designed to produce an outraged, defensive response are not allowed. In this forum, these posts are often (but not always) strongly based on outrage over Montblanc cost, perceived value, pen brands in the Third Reich and during World War Two, snobbery and prestige issues, claims about quality, and the perceived or actual social class of MB owners, or the alleged social-climbing of MB owners. These posts often include calls to "prove" things about MB product quality or value. Sometimes there are attempts to "convert" MB owners away from the brand, and often a fair bit of insult, overt or subtle, is included."

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg (member since 8/28/10) Current pens:fpn_1314757310__pen_logo_collage_083011_450_hr.jpg

I think its time for a new sticky concerning this question. I don't know if the person is intentionally trolling or not. But I do grow weary of this topic. It just seems silly to try and discern a subjective value to an object. Should people even wear jewelry if it really has no purpose other than that? Am I better than you because I don't wear jewelry and therefore my values are much better than yours so I win? I think the answer is either 59 (or the number alluded to in the Hitchhikers guide to the Universe) or Mu.

I think it would be best if the Admins immediately locked this discussion.

+1

Well said.

Inked

I find the term "Montblanc haters" bizarre ! If I had much hate in me I would reserve it for more viles things that populate the criminal world, put a pen manufacturer? Nooooooooooooooo

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

It's time to stop bashing the MB bashers... or is it bash them with bashers? Which, oddly, reminds me of this:

Oh, the jobs people work at!

Out west, near Hawtch-Hawtch,

there’s a Hawtch-Hawtcher Bee-Watcher.

His job is to watch…

is to keep both his eyes on the lazy town bee.

A bee that is watched will work harder, you see.

Well…he watched and he watched.

But, in spite of his watch,

that bee didn’t work any harder. Not Mawtch.

So somebody said,

“Our old-bee-watching man

just isn’t bee-watching as hard as he can.

He ought to be watched by another Hawtch-Hawtcher!

The thing that we need

is a Bee-Watcher-Watcher!”

WELL…

The Bee-Watcher-Watcher watched the Bee-Watcher.

He didn’t watch well. So another Hawtch-Hawtcher

had to come in as a Watch-Watcher-Watcher!

And today all the Hawtchers who live in Hawtch-Hawtch

are watching on Watch-Watcher-Watchering-Watch,

Watch-Watching the Watcher who’s watching the bee.

You’re not a Hawtch-Watcher. You’re lucky, you see!

- Dr Seuss, Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

:clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1:

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

Is any Mont Blanc product worth what they charge?

Not to me. Maybe to some.

Is a low-end Pelikan, e.g., an M200, worth its street price? To me, yes. To others, perhaps not. Is a high-end Pelikan worth its street price? To me, no. To others, maybe.

Is the Parker 25 sitting in my drawer worth the (if I remember right) $12.95 my mother paid for it? Not to me. Maybe to some.

Is a Cross ballpoint worth $20? Not to me; I wouldn't pay $2 for a ballpoint, no matter what its pedigree. Maybe to some.

Is a Bic "Cristal" worth $2 for a dozen? Again, not to me.

It's all a matter of taste, and of whether one finds "the expensive and exclusive" appealing or repellent.

--

James H. H. Lampert

Professional Dilettante

Posted Image was once a bottle of ink

Inky, Dinky, Thinky, Inky,

Blacky minky, Bottle of ink! -- Edward Lear

If you don't like it, it's too expensive and not worth it.

If you like it, it maybe is still too expensive but worth the expense.

Ta-daa! So easy!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

All this has me thinking about repairs.

Lets take two pens, one a MB in precious resin at 650 currency units and the second a pen of your choice at 42 currency units.

Each pen has a flow problem, needs to be cleaned, and have a nib adjustment. If this normally would cost 30 currency units on a 42 currency unit pen, should this same service on a precious resin pen be substantially higher?

I do know which pen owner is more likely to complain about the 30 currency unit repair cost.

Farmboy

(lsmith42 should note I learned my lesson the other day and now know the answer is 42 currency units for a non-resin pen.)

Ta-daa! So easy!

Precisely.

--

James H. H. Lampert

Professional Dilettante

Posted Image was once a bottle of ink

Inky, Dinky, Thinky, Inky,

Blacky minky, Bottle of ink! -- Edward Lear

Is any Mont Blanc product worth what they charge?

I kinda like their cufflinks. I always look at those when I walk into a MB boutique.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Ta-daa! So easy!

agreed! unless OP is looking for more sophisticated answer.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

reading this thread has given me a new insight into this forum, what a friendly moderator had told me in a pm a few days back is true after all.

as fp lovers all of us, it seems that there is a deep division with regard to this particular brand. i am also part of it, i admit. but the discussion is still about pens and our preferences for them, dont know why members are getting mixed up in it.

it is true that i have my (extreme) reservations about this brand, but if there are people out there who enjoy it, why should i deny them their pleasure? after all they must be getting the same pleasure that i do when i hold a sheaffer in my hand. i can understand that and so can all of us, please.:cloud9:

there is a common factor that links us all together, that is our love for fps. at the end of the day all of us here are friends, please.:P

lets cheer each other and wish each other happiness and joy with their preferred brand of fps.:thumbup:

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

OP already drew their conclusion about 10-15 posts back.

Imagine my surprise to learn that Dunhill bought out Montblanc in 1977. In turn, both are among many subsidiaries of the Richemont company owned by the Rupert family.

So now we see that Dunhill is Darth Sidious responsible for creating the evil Montblanc Darth Vader, but the Dark Side's real Sith power originates in Geneva Switzerland.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/250px-Darksiders_btm.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/about-HQ.jpg

We must prepare the fleet to attack at once. Frodo will disable their outer sensors. Spock will infiltrate and coordinate the strike force. Data will look for Mr. Rupert and distract him by asking to be given emotions. Luke will deliver the payload and destroy all their precious resin.

Seriously, this is now sounding like that song "I am my own grandpa"

Edited by SamCapote