Montblanc...worth The Money?

humsin

There is no other brand/model pen that is exactly the same as the models made by Montblanc, and trying to compare them on specific features is futile.

That's not the position Montblanc lawyers take when they sue another pen company.

Wait...you are bringing lawyers into this discussion? Lawyers will take any side of any case if someone is paying their fee. If not, they will zealously chase down ambulances to fill the gaps in billable hours. That's a specious argument since all of the major pen manufacturers have filed claims against competitors to defend their brand.

If there are no pens 'exactly the same as the models made by Montblanc', then why do they keep on suing other pen companies. Are they not making the claim that someone is making 'identical' or at least 'simliar' pens when they file these kinds of lawsuits. The current case against Senator is an example. MB tried to sue Stipula for using three cap rings on their pens.

Then there was the case against Roger Cromwell. The list goes on and on and on.

Why is it a specious argument when you claim no one makes pens similar to MB yet they use that argument in their lawsuits? Do you have examples of other pen companies suing another in the modern era? Of course, there were many cases in the 'golden age' of fountain pens but those were often patent infringement cases in an era of active fountain pen development. The modern cases are egregious.

BTW-I do currently own one MB pen (trying to get rid of it) and have no problems buying and selling MB pens. I treat them as a commodity rather than as a pen. They do hold their value well and modern MBs are easy to sell.

Unless you have an actual copy of various purported lawsuits, you cannot say exactly what is in the suit. Second, third, fourth hand accounts, or articles written about a suit have no validity to the facts of a case. I am 100% certain that the OP's claim to the effect that all black precious resin pens are the same is not correct. If you are going to concede my point about why yours is a specious argument, but then try to come back and qualify that you now only meant that it counts if done in whatever you consider the modern era--give it up. You lost that point by your own admission, now you are trying to bring in straw men.

As far as why many companies sue other companies, there are a variety of reasons that can only be ascertained by reading the specific suits. However, if there is an attempt by Company "A" to copy, or use some aspect, or technology, or other proprietary ownership of Company "B," then B can bring suit against A without there being a 100% perfect duplication. That has ALWAYS been the way these types of cases go, and the court decides if it was close enough to be a violation.

A less than obvious example for a lawsuit could be if an employee from B leaves and joins A, or becomes disgruntled and discloses proprietary information to A which they use to some degree. That alone could be a legitimate reason to initiate a suit. For example, maybe "B's" Joe Schmoe told "A" how to make Montblanc's precious resin, or that the buyer for a large Asian pen store can be bribed with a particular Vintage Scotch, and all that is encapsulated in a suit that appears to be related to a particular example pen. We just don't know the facts...and that is what makes your having raised purported issues as specious.

I have so little regard and interest in the affairs of lawyers (other than the realization that there are 10 times more of them than are needed for any useful purpose), I am not about to waste my time looking up specific cases filed in multiple world court jurisdictions to address a post made on a forum about something that is truly irrelevant. I am confident that some people have their own firmly held opinions on what constitutes egregiousness in separately qualified eras of time, but for their opinion to be valid, they need to lay out specific documentation and verifiable, factual resources to demonstrate it. Otherwise, it remains how it was identified in my previous sentence.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SamCapote

• FarmBoy

• lsmith42

• andybiotic

Edit: I guess there's nothing new for me to add to this thread. Bo Bo Olson puts it nicely.

Edited by Joshua J.

If the admin could post a sticky and close the topic, I, and many of others would appreciated.

This topic has been discussed many times without any constructive conclusion; and most of the time lead to heated debate about nothing.

Why is always "Montblanc worth the money?" and not "Any brand other than Montblanc worth the money?"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

Sheesh, this is why we can't have nice things....

:roflmho:

Reminds me of how my parents' would settle arguments between me and my sibling as wee ones :)

1. this is the first time i've seen this question around

You have, how many, 11 posts?

This is what is referred to on the interwebz as a n00b mistake.

It may well be your first time with this particular question, but it is far from the first time for the rest of us. We are fed up to the back teeth with n00bs who think that this is an original or interesting question. It is far from that.

When I opened this thread, I was pretty sure everyone would tell the n00b to use the search function. Either that or a flame war.

Everyman, I will go with thee

and be thy guide,

In thy most need to go

by thy side.

-Knowledge

When I opened this thread, I was pretty sure everyone would tell the n00b to use the search function. Either that or a flame war.

Telling the n00b to use the search function is better than the flame war alternative. :glare:

Moreover, if the n00b does manage to explain hermeneutic respectability to the translators of philosophy books, something good may come from this.

Edited by troglokev

Yes, but the market knows. Just like I said in the post earlier. The market, hence the majority of the target consumers, says that Mont Blanc is worth it, otherwise they would have gone off the market already.

Of course, no doubt to that. Still I have the impression that the threadopener wants to learn reasons for this success - and actually I doubt if there can be an objective answer to that or if not many reasons to buy such a pen are purely personal....

Well, nothing new under the sun, isn't it? :-)

Don't think so... I see troll alert.

Just search the topic you will see more than enough.

As a person who started with MB,and own 2 (144, 146) I say no~ they are beautiful, but the nibs are less than stellar, and they perform just as well as "lesser" brands~ I find my Italian pens to be smoother and less expensive, and all in all a better deal. Sorry, it is my personal preference at this point.

"Ua mau ke ea o ka aina i ka pono"

I suggest that everyone answering here adds if he has a Montblanc or not :-)

I do not own a Mont Blanc...

(everything is true on the interwebs, right?)

The sequel is not as good as the original.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

The used materials?

What! Precious resin is made from second hand, used materials? Well, at least that is sort of green. . . .

The materials they have USED to make the pen (I don't speak english.) are not worth the price. (of course!)

Yes, my apologies. I did not mean to disrespect anyone who participates on this board in a language they are not a native speaker of (in fact, I admire such persons!). But I saw a joke and could not help myself.

The pen itself (after it's been put together) is worth any price they're asking for (if the pen is in working order.)

That is the question, isn't it? I am beginning to doubt we will ever find out the answer.

"... for even though the multitude may be utterly deceived, subsequently it usually hates those who have led it to do anything improper." Aristotle, Athenian Constitution, XXVIII:3 Loeb Edition

Thanks for the replies, especially the objective ones.

When I referred to the comparisons, I am comparing a black Montblanc with a black Dunhill, not the fancy limited editions.

I never understand why new members are seen as trolls. I also don't get why some people spell words with zeros...

I guess we can conclude that much of the price paid for a Montblanc is for the marketing, and that without the white star, the price of the pen would be considerably less. Thanks again for all the useful comments.

The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

MontBlanc sure make nice (expensive) gifts, let's not kid ourselves. They are widely recognized, like Rolex watches, and are perceived globally as "special" pens.

So what?

You see people drive MB (Mercedes Benz ;-)) all the time. Some are old and 2nd hand cars and affordable, but others are genuine collectors items. Some are brand spanking new. Some are part of a special "line".

Some are driven for business because it's the "norm". Some are driven by spoiled high school kids. Some are classy. Some are bling bling.

Some people work a lifetime to own one. Some people just want to be seen driving one.

Some like them for their engines (nib). Some like them for the societal symbol/status it may represent (star)

Some get bored and buy Audis (which many years ago were not as "nice") and some move on to the next thing. For some it's a Jaguar, for others it's a Porsche, some realize it's just a symbol and get something more drivable, more practical... who knows a van maybe.

Someday the Audi or some other car is going to be the "norm", the "in" thing. And MBs might be relegated to something fancy of the past (like some Waterman or Dunhil) although this hasn't happened yet as MontBlanc has done a fantastic job at keeping the brand global and luxurious for all these years.

Some will be one-time fans of the MB (read it any way you like)... some are collectors like ourselves...

We owe it to ourselves to understand that value is different for each and everyone. If anybody, WE should have the open mind to accept that MB are items that can be appreciated. You don't have to own one to appreciate it, or respect it.

No pen should be hated, and there is no question that every person deserves some kind of respect (even the OP!) thumbup.gif

So this was definitely a fair question, IMHO.

As a n00b to this forum myself, I read the threads with great interest and enthusiasm, because I heard voices and opinions more so than usual, and I think this is what this FPN should be about.

If people get tired of the question, they should just ignore and move on, and let those interested and willing to read and share their opinion do so.

I do own several MBs. A couple FP but mainly BP. They are exquisite. They are not the finest writers and I do often get a look (mainly of approval) when someone in the know notices the logo.

But I'd love to have a cool, lesser known, vintage pen one day, and not necessarily a MB. And the day I'll get a nod of approval for that vintage pen from someone in the know, then I'll feel just as special, knowing I've just formed a bond with a stranger... from the mere use of an object. And THAT's what I think stylophiles or whatever we are called should focus on, the passion and the connection.

clap1.gif

Edited by jlpham

MONTBLANC MEISTERSTÜCK Solitaire Carbon Classique (M), LAMY 2000 (EF), LAMY Safari Red (F), TWSBI 540 (EF), PILOT VP Matte (F), PARKER Sonnet Black CT (F), JINHAO Dragon Descendant (F)

Twitter @jlpham

Yes. Always.

No, wait. No. Never. Come on!

Wait, wait. Yes.

If you can afford it. And sometimes when you can just barely afford it.

Wait, value? How do we assign value?

Or assess, I mean. How do we assess value?

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

There is no other brand/model pen that is exactly the same as the models made by Montblanc, and trying to compare them on specific features is futile.

That's not the position Montblanc lawyers take when they sue another pen company.

Wait...you are bringing lawyers into this discussion? Lawyers will take any side of any case if someone is paying their fee. If not, they will zealously chase down ambulances to fill the gaps in billable hours. That's a specious argument since all of the major pen manufacturers have filed claims against competitors to defend their brand.

If there are no pens 'exactly the same as the models made by Montblanc', then why do they keep on suing other pen companies. Are they not making the claim that someone is making 'identical' or at least 'simliar' pens when they file these kinds of lawsuits. The current case against Senator is an example. MB tried to sue Stipula for using three cap rings on their pens.

Then there was the case against Roger Cromwell. The list goes on and on and on.

Why is it a specious argument when you claim no one makes pens similar to MB yet they use that argument in their lawsuits? Do you have examples of other pen companies suing another in the modern era? Of course, there were many cases in the 'golden age' of fountain pens but those were often patent infringement cases in an era of active fountain pen development. The modern cases are egregious.

BTW-I do currently own one MB pen (trying to get rid of it) and have no problems buying and selling MB pens. I treat them as a commodity rather than as a pen. They do hold their value well and modern MBs are easy to sell.

i agree with you completely here. their snobbish attitude towards other pen / ink brands is one main cause for my disgust.

overpricing and brittle resin comes next.

rgds.

krishna.

Edited by akrishna59

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

No pen should be hated

Really?

Try this: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/207303-the-worst-pen-ever/\

So this was definitely a fair question, IMHO.

As a n00b to this forum myself, I read the threads with great interest and enthusiasm, because I heard voices and opinions more so than usual, and I think this is what this FPN should be about.

But to hear the same voices and the same opinions a lot more than "more so than usual" is not what this FPN should be about. :roflmho:

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb345/Andybiotics/Writing%20Samples/P1020494j-1reversedcolour.jpg