159 replies to this topic

#1 humsin

humsin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:08

Simple question: are Montblancs worth the money? Does what Montblanc offers, justify the hefty price tag? With all the competition around, does Montblanc declare superiority? For example, can a simple, black Meiesterstuck declare superiority over a specificationally special pen, like the Homo Sapiens? Is the 149 worth the hundreds of $$ extra over Dunhill's flagship Sentryman??

All opinions, criticism, comments are welcome. I may be acting as a devil's advocate, but I am just wondering if Montblancs have become slightly overrated, given the opinion of stylophiles, not simply the general populace.
The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

#2 MidnightBlue

MidnightBlue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:19

No No No you're not getting me into trouble again. Thanks

#3 Edgar Allan Bo

Edgar Allan Bo

- ~ * ~ = Antique = ~ * ~ -

• Member - Gold

• 1,514 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:29

The used materials?

No.

The name MONTBLANC, the History, etc.?

Maybe.

#4 macaddicted

macaddicted

Ronaldus Reaganus Magnus

• Member - Gold

• 947 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:31

Oh boy, here we go. :bonk:

Mont Blanc has a cache all it's own. But then so does Pilot/Namiki, Pelikan, Visconti…

I bought a couple used. I like them well enough, but they're just not my thing. You might try the same (either here or the green board-- avoid eBay). They come up all the time. Then you can decide for yourself, and if you don't like them resell the pen for close to what you paid--much closer than of you bought it new.
macaddicted

Posted Image

#5 Delphideo

Delphideo

Part-time Indexer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:33

I'm starting to feel for the Montblanc guys. They're always having to justify their choice on buying an expensive pen more than most.
In some things in life it's better to take a Zen approach. If you think too much you won't achieve your goal, wheras if you don't think and let yourself go, it shall be achieved with ease. I find this helpful in writing, kendo and music.

#6 RudyR

RudyR

Man O' Blues

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:40

I think its time for a new sticky concerning this question. I don't know if the person is intentionally trolling or not. But I do grow weary of this topic. It just seems silly to try and discern a subjective value to an object. Should people even wear jewelry if it really has no purpose other than that? Am I better than you because I don't wear jewelry and therefore my values are much better than yours so I win? I think the answer is either 59 (or the number alluded to in the Hitchhikers guide to the Universe) or Mu.

I think it would be best if the Admins immediately locked this discussion.

Edited by RudyR, 02 November 2011 - 01:41.

Fountain Pen is SPY!!

#7 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,082 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:43

To those who buy them, of course.

How pierceful grows the hazy yon! How myrtle petaled thou! For spring hath sprung the cyclotron - How high browse thou, brown cow? -- Churchy LaFemme, 1950

Anyone so limited that they can only spell a word one way suffers a severe handicap. -- jar

The last pen I bought will be the next to last pen I ever buy! --jar

#8 MidnightBlue

MidnightBlue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,154 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:45

It is a legitimate question, but like the meaning of life, unanswerable. All I know is, none of our pens are worth it re price......but for me, these little bits of practcal art are worth it. So it's personal, subjective and the question just spreads bad feelings among us. Thanks

Edited by MidnightBlue, 02 November 2011 - 01:45.

#9 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,977 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:05

I don't really think any new pens are worth what is asked for them today. Montblanc is not alone. Pelikan also and all the rest are too high priced. You can't just pick on the one maker. Look at the ebay prices realized for these pens in near-new condition. Generally the pens resell in near new condition at what appear to me to be substantially reduced prices. Let the first buyer take the hit; I would prefer to buy a nice used one today, in most cases, because I am a cheapskate.

That said, the Montblancs I bought new in the 1980s were worth the price to me then. And, on ebay you can get some nice pens at prices that make them worth it.

To me, though, very few if any of the new pens sold today are worth it to me. You can't just pick on Montblanc. Montblanc makes a really fine pen, but the price is high. Pelikan the same. Parker the same . . .et alia.
"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

#10 Lefthander

Lefthander

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:16

Why not just go out and spend several thousands of dollars to 10s of thousands to sample the pen world, do the comparisons and you tell us your opinion with your comparative data and personal use experience to back it up. That would be a bigger contribution to the forum than throwing this question back out there again. Or try the search features available here and you might get plenty of opinion concerning your question from other strings.

#11 Oranges and Apples

Oranges and Apples

Vantage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:57

The used materials?

No.

The name MONTBLANC, the History, etc.?

Maybe.

+1

#12 SamCapote

SamCapote

Got Warm Milk?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,138 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:21

Simple question: are Montblancs worth the money?

Yes.

Does what Montblanc offers, justify the hefty price tag?

Yes.

With all the competition around, does Montblanc declare superiority?

Yes.

For example, can a simple, black Meiesterstuck declare superiority over a specificationally special pen, like the Homo Sapiens?

No, because pens are not able to declare. The owner of the simple, black Meisterstuk can make such a declaration. You may wish to rephrase this question.

Is the 149 worth the hundreds of $ extra over Dunhill's flagship Sentryman??

Yes.

I am just wondering if Montblancs have become slightly overrated, given the opinion of stylophiles, not simply the general populace.

I don't know what a stylophile is but I am a bonafide member of the general populace, and as a self-appointed spokesperson for that entire group, I declare that Montblancs have not become slightly overrated, nor greatly overrated. They are rated at exactly the correct amount.

What else do you want to know?

Edited by SamCapote, 02 November 2011 - 03:28.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

#13 humsin

humsin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,070 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:28

1. this is the first time i've seen this question around
2. a stylophile is a better term than a pen-lover
3. basically, my point is, given that everyone sells black resin pens, why does montblanc sell for more expensive than brands like waterman, dunhill, or parker?

btw, this is a serious debate; don't see a point to closing the thread.
The pen I write with, is the pen I use to sign my name.

#14 SamCapote

SamCapote

Got Warm Milk?

• Member - Gold

• 4,138 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:39

3. basically, my point is, given that everyone sells black resin pens, why does montblanc sell for more expensive than brands like waterman, dunhill, or parker?

There are now 7 billion people on the planet, Earth. Actually very few people sell black resin pens. The answer to your questions is a very simple one. Montblanc sell [some] pens that are more expensive than some other brands because people buy them. There is no other brand/model pen that is exactly the same as the models made by Montblanc, and trying to compare them on specific features is futile.

#15 talkinghead

talkinghead

Füllhaltersammler

• Member - Gold

• 1,680 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:45

It is a legitimate question, but like the meaning of life, unanswerable. All I know is, none of our pens are worth it re price......but for me, these little bits of practcal art are worth it. So it's personal, subjective and the question just spreads bad feelings among us. Thanks

BEST POST EVER!!! BRAVO!!! ........and THANK YOU

:clap1:

Rick
MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)
"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar
WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs
Posted Image
Porkopolis Penners Blog

#16 Pelikan_FP

Pelikan_FP

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:50

To each their own...

For some it's Montblanc, for others Pelikans, Visconti, Conway Stewart, Omas, Parker, Pilot, Lamy, etc

Whether you think the pen justifies the price or the combination of the pen and its brand justifies the price is very subjective.

My own opinion is regarding Montblanc is so-so but that's the conclusion I've arrived after doing my own research and my personal experience with them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing"-Socrates
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#17 MidnightBlue

MidnightBlue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,154 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:53

And as usual, as I said earlier, it just turns into a big prejudicial turgid blog. Thanks

#18 pakmanpony

pakmanpony

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,187 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:57

1. The question has in fact been asked and answered many times on FPN
2. Yes there are clearly MB lovers and MB haters
3. This question usually ends up in a flame battle between the two
4. If it does, it will be shut down
5. 42 is the correct answer to the question "What is the meaning of life the universe and everything"

#19 koa

koa

φιλοσοφον

• Member - Gold

• 1,036 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:00

The used materials?

What! Precious resin is made from second hand, used materials? Well, at least that is sort of green. . . .

And macaddicted says they have their own cache? Why would where they are stored have any affect on pricing? Are they in a cloud?

Just wondering. :ninja:
"... for even though the multitude may be utterly deceived, subsequently it usually hates those who have led it to do anything improper." Aristotle, Athenian Constitution, XXVIII:3 Loeb Edition

#20 dcpritch

dcpritch

Uff da

• Moderators

• 2,538 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:06

... I am a bonafide member of the general populace, and as a self-appointed spokesperson for that entire group, I declare that .... What else do you want to know?

You are doing a great job as spokesperson! :thumbup:

How's the pay?
How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

#21 SamCapote

SamCapote

Got Warm Milk?

• Member - Gold

• 4,138 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:10

The "black" resin of my MB 146/149's is a deep ruby red when transilluminated.

For reference, in each of my answers in post #12, various other quality pen manufacturer brands could have been substituted with the word "Montblanc" and still have been valid.

#22 SamCapote

SamCapote

Got Warm Milk?

• Member - Gold

• 4,138 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:11

... I am a bonafide member of the general populace, and as a self-appointed spokesperson for that entire group, I declare that .... What else do you want to know?

You are doing a great job as spokesperson! :thumbup:

How's the pay?

There's supposed to be pay for this job? Wait....Who do I talk to about this?

#23 DrPJM1

DrPJM1

Oversize Balance

• Member - Gold

• 2,876 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:35

IMHO: The price of a Montblanc is due to the high expense of marketing and the company's self-declared cachet.
They are nice pens but are not better than a comparable pen. Without the white star, the same pen would cost a lot less.
I own a 149 and a 146 silver barleycorn and do declare that, on my hand, most vintage pens feel better and write better.
Others have voiced their own opinion based on their experience and I do the same. I do not use mine nor would buy another.
Pedro

Now looking for a Sheaffer OS Balance with a Stub nib or a Music nib

#24 tonybelding

tonybelding

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,972 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:00

Simple question: are Montblancs worth the money?

That's not a simple question at all! :gaah:

#25 Florida Blue

Florida Blue

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,719 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:07

Few objects are worth the manufacture's suggested retail price. Fortunately you don't have to pay it. Authorized retailers routinely sell Montblanc pens for less than the boutiques. Fountain Pen Hospital sells them for 20% below MSRP and Paradise Pen has them for 15% off during their annual pen fair.

There are many used examples available for a fraction of retail.

At discounted prices they are more in line with other manufacturers. However, they are priced in line with their competitors. MSRP on a Pelikan M1000 is $775 and a MB149 is $810 but I see few asking if Pelikans are worth the money.

Edited by Florida Blue, 02 November 2011 - 05:09.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Premium Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, 21 Super Red, Vac Jr. Black, 51 MK1 Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 MK1 Demi Black, 51 MK1 Demi Teal, 51 MK1 Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Sub. Deb. Black.

#26 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• 2,790 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:47

Oh, certainly, they are worth the money. Someone else's, however...
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#27 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• 3,695 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:21

There is no other brand/model pen that is exactly the same as the models made by Montblanc, and trying to compare them on specific features is futile.

That's not the position Montblanc lawyers take when they sue another pen company.
"It is traditional and not to be questioned."

"You gotta get your Pen Posse on!"
-Ethernautrix

#28 lsmith42

lsmith42

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,535 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:27

I'm thinking...

Nope... They're worthless... You can write the same words with any pen... Including a Bic...

Don't waste your time... Move on to something else... Anything else...
MB Hemingway M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Leonard Bernstein F; Shaw B; yellow gold/pearl Bohčme Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 236 flexy OBB; gold/citrine Le Grand F; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 146 M; 162 RB

#29 Glenn-SC

Glenn-SC

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,527 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:15

To those who don't, of course not!

#30 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,981 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:26

The most important question is: do you think they are worth your money? The answer varies widely, and none of us here can really answer it for you. For me the answer is a definite maybe - I like Montblanc pens, but to date I've liked Viscontis, and OMAS's and others more. The best advice I can give you is that Montblanc pens are a quality product comparable to competing luxury pen brands - none of these brands have perfect quality control, nor customer service; however, Montblanc are probably better than most. Also beware ebay and too good to be true deals, as counterfeit Montblancs are commonplace.

++

5. 42 is the correct answer to the question "What is the meaning of life the universe and everything"

:D