The Worst Pen Ever

The Royal Pen

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• dogpoet

• perrins57

• OcalaFlGuy

Easy, my Zebra V301. If you dislike someone so much that you wish they never get the joy of fountain pen use, just buy them one of these and they will stay away from FPs for decades.

Well, it's actually not that bad, it's worse, much worse.

Yup, what he said.

Festering piece of poo :sick:

In Ottawa, Ontario? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse

It'd better last me through a war, and 500 drops-off-the-table and the nib still stay butter-smooth, barrel dent-free for that much $$!

trpofapprobal.png

Easy, my Zebra V301. If you dislike someone so much that you wish they never get the joy of fountain pen use, just buy them one of these and they will stay away from FPs for decades.

Well, it's actually not that bad, it's worse, much worse.

It sounds so horrible that I have to have one to see for myself.

My worst was the Pilot VP. Poor starter, dry, scratchy, skippy...for the price, I was hoping for it to be at least as pleasant as a Hero or a Preppy, but no such luck. I'm planning on having it looked at at the Ohio Pen Show.

For your first pen, you should buy a Pelikan m200 or a TWSBI 540.

For vintage, get a Parker Vacumatic or a 51.

Once you go Vac, you never go back.

Yes, I've been drinking.

It'd better last me through a war, and 500 drops-off-the-table and the nib still stay butter-smooth, barrel dent-free for that much $$!

For $62,000 they should send Richard Binder to my house every quarter to be sure it's writing properly.

;)

Bruce in Ocala, FL-wow, a traveling pen doctor, would that be cool or what?

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

and of those 500 drop-offs 40 of those resulting in my rolling over the pen in my office chair.

Parker Reflex that I purchase about 5 year ago. This pen have never written more than 5 lines since I bought! It couldn't write even after a lot of efforts. It's a bone, absolutely dry!

Funnily enough, I had one of these as my knockabout pen at work. It was a bit of a wet writer with Quink, but absolutely reliable - started after being left in the desk drawer unused while I was away on holiday, &c. Sadly the cap on mine cracked (they're prone to this apparently) so it was retired in favour of a stainless steel jotter FP, which has been equally good!

A pen friend handed me a pen and said take it home and write with it and if you like you can have it. I brought it back and said no thanks!

Rotring Core - Ugh!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Funny, it seems Parker is the leader of the pack so far. My Parker Centennial ia the worst for ink flow~ once it gets going it is ok, but I always have to force start it, even if it has only been 30 minutes between uses (capped). I just think it needs to be tuned up, but for the price it is a bit of a disappointment to me, and I will never buy another Parker.

"Ua mau ke ea o ka aina i ka pono"

The worst pen I have ever owned was an Aurora Ipsilon Deluxe. Cheap piece of junk that would not write a straight line. Skiiped, Scratchy, bad feed, bad nib. A complete piece of junk.

Marlen Fine nib I Continenti -America- that could not be filled from a bottle without the ink leaking into the section and a horrible dull nib, then a Krone fine nib...made by: Marlen!

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Oo, Sonia! I love my Marlen Journal's nib. But then it started out as a juicy M, and then Letta ground it to a lovely wet F.

Still not crazy about button-fillers, though. I'm still clumsy with them when inking up.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I didn't have any of these, but I can remember Platignum (NOT Platinum) lever filler pens in the early 1970's with utter horror.

These pens had a horrible tendancy for the barrels to crack and crumple during use. Most times this happened the sac was punctured and the unfortunate victim had a penful of ink dumped over their work. Fortunately I was the proud posessor of a Parker 17 Lady at the time & relished how reliable my pen was. I can remember it happening at least 3 times between 1973 and 1976 at school.

Regards,

Richard.

Funny, it seems Parker is the leader of the pack so far.

I'm buying at the low end of the range, admittedly, but I've yet to purchase a bad one. The Reflex was a great daily writer, until its cap cracked (after 3 or 4 years of use, mind) and the SS Jotter I have is similarly reliable (I've used it with Quink (cartridges), Diamine Emerald and Perle Noire (both from a convertor)).

I vaguely remember a long term loan of a Vector FP (again, used with Quink cartridges) during my school days (in the '80s, when the Vector design seemed terribly modern and chic) that I really liked, although the thin body would put me off now. I bought a Parker 25 (again, very '80s) with my pocket money on the strength of that experience which was terrific too.

I guess the nibs are nothing special (you'd not expect miracles for £6!) but the pens have been terrific workhorses. I suppose the problem is quality control - for every pen like the ones I've enjoyed, there are the ones that go out as described by other posters, which is a real shame.

Ha - For that amount of $ do you dare ink it?!? And is a FP that never writes still a FP? I think not! :headsmack:

Edited by deansellers

I'm with OrangeJoe, the worst pen I ever bought and tried to use was a Zebra V- 301.I was excited to find this pen at Staples, and had high hopes for itl. But as many have pointed out on this website, it is an unreliable writer that tends to leak. As with other users, mine works, until it doesn't and that is a pain in the ass.Here's hoping for a useable update of the Zebra V-301 :)

Alexandra M.

For $62,000 they should send Richard Binder to my house every quarter to be sure it's writing properly.

For that much money, Richard should just be included with the pen. He could live in the basement.

Josh: Hey Richard, this nib just skipped. Adjust this for me.

Richard: Please feed me.

Josh: Do a good job on this and maybe I'll give you a cracker.

Err...

wow.

I got a feeling Richard would be at least an uncooperative captive...

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Parker Sonnet flighter. Bought it for myself as a gift to mark getting my Masters. It's bone dry, and yet leaks randomly where the nib meets the section.

Looking for an Omas Arco Verde...the one that got away.