Noodlers Flex

RudyR

Out of curiosity, where are the Noodler flex pens made? China? Taiwan? US? Germany? ?????

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jimmy James

• Silent Speaker

• bluefountain

• kethiemann

I think that most of it is made in India - like the other Noodler's pens.

Although some parts perhaps (seals etc., or whatever) might be manufactured elsewhere.

I imagine that that's why the box in which the pens come says: "WRITING INSTRUMENTS OF THE WORLD" - a little bit from here, a little bit from there.

To produce the pens in the USA (as I'm sure would have been the creator's ideal choice) at that price is just not possible, nor in Germany, or Taiwan, or any other western or highly industrialised/developed country at that - labour is just too expensive.

Besides, I remember there being a thread where someone showed a pen (of Indian manufacture) that was of the same design as the Noodler's creaper piston fillers (same body as these flexies).

So, my guess is Indian manufacture (mostly).

Edited by Silent Speaker

The nib creaper is the same as the indian dollar pen and the piston fill is the same as Chelpack(????) Maverick. Also I have found out in a noodler's nib that had been engraved in the opposite side with the word ERO which I think is a pen manufacturing company I think

Yes I confess, I am still using my Jotter

the piston fill is the same as Chelpack(????) Maverick.

IIRC, Chelpack (or whatever that brand is called) doesn't actually make the pens either; they are sourced by them from another company, like how Noodler's does so - what this one is called, I don't know.

the piston fill is the same as Chelpack(????) Maverick.

IIRC, Chelpack (or whatever that brand is called) doesn't actually make the pens either; they are sourced by them from another company, like how Noodler's does so - what this one is called, I don't know.

They share the same plastic injection mold as the Chelpark Maverick pen, but they are not the same resin material. It costs an astronomical amount of money to have a new mold developed, so that's what helps keep the cost of these pens down. The nib is different, the feed is different, and I think the clip too.

Long story short, yes, they are made from parts all over the world - India, China, Switzerland... I don't even know everywhere for sure, just that they really are from all over, but final assembly/inspection takes place in USA. And of course the concept/design/coordination too! :)

It has been a while since Kevin and I started a stink over the Chelpark/Noodler's connection inadvertently, but I do think the clip design is shared between the two lookalike pens. The feed may be as well. I would certainly agree the nib is different (gold tone in the Chelpark IIRC), and if the Chelpark material is the same as in the Chelpark Moti I got from Kevin, the material is indeed also different.

http://www.fountainpenrevolution.com/chelparkpens.html

That's Kevin's new site he just emailed me about, and it shows the Maverick in detail.

Dollar as I understand it is a Pakistani pen, not an Indian one.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

I used to be in manufacturing (no kidding---GE Aircraft Engine in Evendale Ohio) and I can tell you that if you use a standard part, like a standard clip and a standard body, etc you will be saving massive amounts of money. Your car is invariably made of parts from everywhere, your computer, your clothes, just about anything right now. Money is tight and this is about the only way to keep costs down so that a guy like Tardiff can remain attractive to the masses. I can sympathize, it's the only thing that has kept me in business through the Recession---being less expensive than my competition. That is a huge part of his business plan, too.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Oh, I should clarify in terms of the feed: the Maverick feed and the regular Noodler's pen seem to me to have very similar feeds. Both the old and new versions of the flex feed are indeed very different from the Maverick as can be seen in the photos.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

So, did Chelpark make the Noodler's pens? Or are they just getting them made by someone else?

If that is true, then that website Jimmy James linked to can be somewhat misleading in it's comment concerning the Maverick:

The Maverick is the pen that the US compamy Noodlers sells as its piston model.

I used to be in manufacturing (no kidding---GE Aircraft Engine in Evendale Ohio)

Totally un-pen-related... but my father-in-law used to work there and my childhood best friend's father retired from there. Small world! :blush:

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

So, did Chelpark make the Noodler's pens? Or are they just getting them made by someone else?

If that is true, then that website Jimmy James linked to can be somewhat misleading in it's comment concerning the Maverick:

No, but they both share the same mold for the plastic used to make the pens. Chelpark does not manufacture Noodler's pens.

I personally wouldn't care even if the pen was produced in Mars. The only thing that I have to say is that you are getting a great value for money pen which writes decently holds a lot of ink and it is basically indestructible.

Yes I confess, I am still using my Jotter

As long as Mr. Tardiff's eagle eye is the final quality control, they could be made in Outer Mongolia. That is what sets them aside from any other pen in the world.

first fountain pen: student Sheaffer, 1956

next fountain pen: Montblanc 146 circa 1990

favourite ink: Noodler's Zhivago

favourite pen: Waterman No. 12

most beautiful pen: Conway Stewart 84 red with gold veins, oh goodness gracious

No, but they both share the same mold for the plastic used to make the pens. Chelpark does not manufacture Noodler's pens.

I don't think Kevin disputes this based on my conversations with him. It's sort of a tricky thing to describe (and was initially difficult for us to get our heads around). It could be that there are multiple copies of this same mold around in use, or it could be that some manufacturer actually makes the bodies for the Noodler's pen and the Chelpark Maverick. I don't know. I don't think Kevin knows. I would imagine Nathan knows, but Nathan doesn't always see fit to be overly specific about all of his methods. I respect that. I'm sure he has put a lot of work into bringing us these pens, and anything he sees as trade secret or proprietary I am more than happy for him to keep to himself.

I don't think Kevin disputes this based on my conversations with him. It's sort of a tricky thing to describe (and was initially difficult for us to get our heads around). It could be that there are multiple copies of this same mold around in use, or it could be that some manufacturer actually makes the bodies for the Noodler's pen and the Chelpark Maverick. I don't know. I don't think Kevin knows. I would imagine Nathan knows, but Nathan doesn't always see fit to be overly specific about all of his methods. I respect that. I'm sure he has put a lot of work into bringing us these pens, and anything he sees as trade secret or proprietary I am more than happy for him to keep to himself.

Hey all! I thought I should chime in. It appears obvious to me that the Noodlers pen is made from the same mold as the Chelpark Maverick as has already been mentioned. But I DO NOT know that Chelpark actually manufactures the Noodlers pen. I am inclined to believe Rachel that the same mold is used but different plastic poured. Jimmy James points out that the plastic on his Moti is different than the plastic on his Noodlers. As best I can tell the plastic on the Moti and Maverick is the same. So this would seem to confirm what Rachel Goulet is saying. Kevin

I also don’t mind where they are manufactured or where the mold came from. I think India has a lot to offer the rest of the world in terms of good quality but very affordable pens and I can see how Noodlers would want to benefit from that and give the rest of us an opportunity to benefit from it too.

• 3 years later...

I think that most of it is made in India - like the other Noodler's pens.

Although some parts perhaps (seals etc., or whatever) might be manufactured elsewhere.

I imagine that that's why the box in which the pens come says: "WRITING INSTRUMENTS OF THE WORLD" - a little bit from here, a little bit from there.

To produce the pens in the USA (as I'm sure would have been the creator's ideal choice) at that price is just not possible, nor in Germany, or Taiwan, or any other western or highly industrialised/developed country at that - labour is just too expensive.

Besides, I remember there being a thread where someone showed a pen (of Indian manufacture) that was of the same design as the Noodler's creaper piston fillers (same body as these flexies).

So, my guess is Indian manufacture (mostly).

yes its form india and the company name is kenwrite (kanpurwriters) you easily find in google .. :P

Out of curiosity, where are the Noodler flex pens made? China? Taiwan? US? Germany? ??

india in kanpur by kanpurwriters you easily find in google .... thanks

No, but they both share the same mold for the plastic used to make the pens. Chelpark does not manufacture Noodler's pe

no chelpark is not making noodlers pen ... only kanpurwriters(you easily find in google ) making pens for noodlers you find all models in there website .....they also supply noodlers same models by the name of ken write in india and also you can find some models on ebay ....