Photo

Help! I Dropped My Lamy 2000 And Split/broke The Nib!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tweexcore

tweexcore

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 19:27

I have the worst luck with this pen. Lost in the mail, received but broken so back to repair, lost personally, got new one that didn't work, sent back for repair, and now this...the latest and worst self-inflicted horror: I was setting my uncapped pen aside to dry when it rolled off a desk and then this happened.

Is this even repairable? I know the warranty won't cover it, but can I still send it in for repair? Should I buy a new nib somewhere? How much would the repair/replacement probably cost?

What should I do??

Help!

Attached Images

• nib.jpg

http://laurayan.com

#2 French

French

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2011 - 19:35

Hi,

I'm sure it isn't as bad as you think. That being said, accidents happen, and my experience with Lamy USA is they are very liberal with their waranty. My recommendation is to ship them your pen and check for $7.50 (that is what the cost was a couple of years ago when i last used them) and in 2-3 weeks if not sooner you will have a fixed pen. Their nibmeister (the name Bob Nurin jumps into mind, but i may be completely wrong) is very talented.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

French

#3 davidw

davidw

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 20:25

the section actually unscrew out. If you cant do it under warranty,
you can always send it to one of the people who works on nibs and
get it repaired. Then just screw the nib back in.

#4 jomielll

jomielll

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 21:06

I've dropped my 2000 also, and called Lamy USA for help. You can send it to them for the shipping cost and a replacement nib (I think it was $65?) if they cannot fix it.

#5 voretaq7

voretaq7

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2011 - 21:40

Is this even repairable? I know the warranty won't cover it, but can I still send it in for repair? Should I buy a new nib somewhere? How much would the repair/replacement probably cost?

What should I do??

Help!

That doesn't look too terrible from the photo you provided - it should be repairable (I've seen folks in the Repair forum fix nibs that looked MUCH worse!).

I'd try sending it in to Lamy USA like others have suggested, and when you get it back you'll be extra careful about the desks it sits on when uncapped.

#6 jomielll

jomielll

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 00:22

Btw the price for handling and return postage has gone up to 9.50 according to the warranty on the 2000 I got this summer

Edited by jomielll, 15 October 2011 - 00:23.

#7 centennial

centennial

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:53

I dropped mine a while ago and the Canadian supplier for Lamy wanted $99 - no way I'd pay for a replacement at that price so I just got a $20 medium subbish nib from an FPN member here. It's just too bad I always leave it at work somewhere- which is what happened when I left the place after my shift.

My haiku:
Fountain pens seem to
Be extremely addicting.
I keep on buying.

#8 KarlBarndt

KarlBarndt

PointyThings

• Member - Gold

• 980 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 13:18

I'm the FPN member mentioned above :rolleyes:

Lamy USA will not repair damaged nibs under their warranty.

If you need a replacement nib, I have some vintage Lamy 1960s stainless steel nibs and a small amount of 14K yellow gold nibs that fit the 2000 perfectly.

Send me a PM for more info.

Edited by KarlBarndt, 20 October 2011 - 13:19.

Visit my new writing instrument buy/sell/trade community: Fountain Pen Classifieds

100% dedicated to making deals better for everyone! And it's FREE!

#9 hershamboy

hershamboy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2014 - 13:06

I recently bought a replacement steel nib from KarlBarndt, to replace the mangled nib on my 2k.  Before purchasing, he told me exactly what to expect (did I want a stiffer stainless steel nib, or a yellow gold nib with slightly more 'give'??).  I went for the steel nib as I felt the yellow nib would look odd against the black/silver of the rest of the pen.  I'm delighted with it.  It's brought back to life a pen that I thought would be uneconomical to repair (for me, at least).  I definitely recommend Karl.  (I'm in the UK)

"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd" - Voltaire

Lamy Safari (Charcoal, Red, Blue, Black, LE Aquamarine, LE Apple Green) * Lamy Al-Star * Esterbrook LJ * Pilot VP * MB 145 Chopin * TWSBI 530 Diamond * Pilot Pluminix (F and M italic) * Conway Stewart 475 * Lamy Studio 67 * Lamy 2000 * Noodlers Ahab

#10 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,159 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 16:54

Odd, if you sent it to Lamy Germany it gets fixed, no fuss, from what I read.

Drop them a note...they will get back to you in a week or so.

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I no longer use the term Easy Full Flex.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Odd, how many who should know better, compares Japanese F (which equals EF), with Western F, with out a second thought, but do not compare Japanese B with Western B.

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#11 KarlBarndt

KarlBarndt

PointyThings

• Member - Gold

• 980 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 18:14

Lamy Germany will refer US owners to the Lamy USA repair (Filofax).

Lamy USA will not repair nibs.

Visit my new writing instrument buy/sell/trade community: Fountain Pen Classifieds

100% dedicated to making deals better for everyone! And it's FREE!

#12 Talon1138

Talon1138

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 June 2014 - 23:42

This will make you and a few others feel better. When I moved from collecting Lamys, I jumped on the Noodler bandwagon....(I can hear the groans now...). I had just purchased and inked up my Ebonite and did some practicing with it... Okay I doodled with it. When I was through and trying to cap the pen I just couldn't seem to get the cap to catch the threads..... Yup, the blind cap was stuck in the cap, as I was trying to screw it down putting pressure on it, it twisted the nib, like a tornado would twist a pile of spaghetti. It was a wreck. I was able to straighten it out enough to write with, I did learn a lesson though.
Paper Tiger II

#13 lipidsnake

lipidsnake

Dipped Only

• Premium - Ruby

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:47

I'm here in Australia and this happened to me recently too. Had to pay $150 ($130US) locally for a repair :(. Thats as much as i paid for the pen. I'd used the pen for more than two years though so it just didn't feel right not fixing her up.

Edited by lipidsnake, 20 June 2014 - 09:47.

#14 carlos.q

carlos.q

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,096 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:11

I'm here in Australia and this happened to me recently too. Had to pay $150 ($130US) locally for a repair :(. Thats as much as i paid for the pen. I'd used the pen for more than two years though so it just didn't feel right not fixing her up.

Oh that must hurt! Others with this problem should contact Karl for a NOS nib.