395 replies to this topic

#31 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,178 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:08

I just ordered not one but 2, bottles of ESS IG ink because of you Sandy. This broke not only my self imposed moral high ground of prudent spending but also my ink embargo. Sandy and IG inks, the combo is to much to resist. PLEASE STOP, for all goodness sakes, please......................... don't stop. :cloud9:

Hi,

Of all inks to dislodge you from a "
self imposed moral high ground" - the ESSRI happens to be the one! Although it is a Registrar's ink - not a capricious ink!

I hope the two bottles will be both interesting and of practical use, so that you can re-assure yourself it was a satisfying and prudent purchase. And at the end of the day no "
moral high ground" was lost!

Bye,
S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#32 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 7,178 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:24

✃ snip ✁

Sandy1,

I have had particularly good results with the finer nibs, especially a Sailor Pro Gear F (a Western XF) and a Sheaffer Triumph 1750 XF. ESSRI shades very well in both of these pens, perhaps a bit more with the Sheaffer as it is not quite so generous with ink flow as is the Sailor. Lubricity is on the low side but far from objectionable.

As for paper, I have yet to find anything that is unsatisfactory. I've been using this ink daily at the office and it performs very well on the lowest-bidder copy bond stuff we use. It has also completed a few crossword puzzles on newsprint (I usually use Noodler's Black for that, but I thought I'd give it a try) without any feathering or bleed-through (!). So far, ESSRI has produced a very nice, tight line on the lower quality papers. Needless to say, it handles the paper in my Black 'n Red journals very well and the feel on finished papers is very good.

Very good stuff indeed and remarkably versatile when matched with the proper pen and nib.

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know your successful experience! :thumbup:

Ah - the lubrication! Certainly typical of i-g inks: not their strong suit, but not a deal breaker either.

Thanks for confirming the success on lowest bidder copy paper, which I think will become more common and persistent. Also on newsprint - which somehow rarely occurs to me. (?)

Bye,
S1

#33 januaryman

januaryman

Clan Bruce

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2011 - 13:08

Ordered mine on Friday. Any thoughts on my plan on trying this ink out in a vintage Pelikan 140? It's a very wet writer that has been bugging me, so a drier ink might be the solution. But ig ink in a piston filler - should I re-think this or will it be okay?
It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

#34 JLT

JLT

Dr. Evil?

• Member - Gold

• 903 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2011 - 13:23

Ordered mine on Friday. Any thoughts on my plan on trying this ink out in a vintage Pelikan 140? It's a very wet writer that has been bugging me, so a drier ink might be the solution. But ig ink in a piston filler - should I re-think this or will it be okay?

It should be OK provided you don't let the ink sit in the pen for extended periods between flushings. Note that several Montblanc inks are (and have been) ferro-gallic and are, of course, recommended for use in MB piston fillers. Just be prudent and disciplined with your pen hygiene and you should have no problems.

A final note - I keep a bottle of Noodler's American Eel Blue around to keep my piston fillers lubricated. The stuff works and it's a good shade of blue. I use it every third or fourth fill (at times more frequently depending on the incumbent ink) after a thorough flushing to ensure proper function.
JLT (J. L. Trasancos, Barneveld, NY)

"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."
Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962)

#35 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 7,178 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 15:50

Hi,

As JLT mentioned above,
"
It should be OK provided you don't let the ink sit in the pen for extended periods between flushings. . . . Just be prudent and disciplined with your pen hygiene and you should have no problems."

It is also important for the pen to be very clean before inking-up with an i-g ink.

I've used other i-g inks in my vintage pens, from very early BCHR eyedropper pens to my beloved MB149, which is used mostly with the MBMBl ink. The only pens I am reluctant to use with the i-g inks are the Snorkels without a 14K snorkel tube - I cannot cleanse that tube after inking-up.

And not to let the ink sit unused in a pen for all that long. Other than my daily workhorse, most pens are cleansed after I finish the document I'm working on: typically one day, and rarely up to three days. If one is keeping a daily journal pen, then I'd cleanse that pen weekly - as I do my daily workhorse. Likely others will chime-in saying that frequency of cleansing is not necessary, (GP uses an impolite 4-letter word), but it works for me and my pens!

Bye,
S1

Edited by Sandy1, 07 November 2011 - 15:59.

#36 Messmer

Messmer

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2011 - 16:01

It should be OK provided you don't let the ink sit in the pen for extended periods between flushings. Note that several Montblanc inks are (and have been) ferro-gallic and are, of course, recommended for use in MB piston fillers. Just be prudent and disciplined with your pen hygiene and you should have no problems.

A final note - I keep a bottle of Noodler's American Eel Blue around to keep my piston fillers lubricated. The stuff works and it's a good shade of blue. I use it every third or fourth fill (at times more frequently depending on the incumbent ink) after a thorough flushing to ensure proper function.

I use Dow 111 when I think my piston need a little help. Cost around 16 USD ship to canada for a 2 oz bottle (ebay). It is FDA grade (not mandatory for FP) but a good choice if you think using it for other use like drinkable water o-ring. It is a little more trouble as I need to take the FP a part...

Edited by Messmer, 07 November 2011 - 16:16.

Messmer

#37 Messmer

Messmer

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 November 2011 - 16:10

A little of silicone grease (ebay) on the piston and all will be ok I think. The guy I buy it from sell smaller quantity. A 2 oz bottle will last your for years.
Messmer

#38 januaryman

januaryman

Clan Bruce

• Member - Gold

• 1,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:05

Thanks!

#39 Korybas

Korybas

The pen is the tongue of the mind

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2011 - 18:33

Hi all!

I promised to let you know how things are going with the ESS Registrars Ink as soon as I got my bottle! Of course, I would not even attempt to reach the thoroughness of Sandy1's review, but I think you would like some feedback!

Well, the bottle came today, after only 4 days! After decanting it into a medical brown-glass bottle (thanks for the proposition, Sandy1!) I proceeded to fill my HS 1.3 Stub with the ink and started to scribble! :rolleyes:

First impressions? Excellent! :cloud9: The ink was free-flowing from the HS and to my amazement the ink flow was just perfect - wet but not too wet. See, the problem I have with other inks and my HS Stub is that the nib is too wet with inks like MB Violet and PR Tanzanite and as a consequence I had severe bleed-through that really got me steaming... This is not the case with ESSRI, the flow is just right and there is no bleed/show-through.

What is wonderful with ESSRI is that in papers like Leuchtturm (and, to a lesser degree, Toyale Creme) it changes from blue to dark blue-almost-black in a matter of seconds! What a great ink, especially for the Stub nib; even if dark, it retains the wonderful shading... I am not a big fan of blue inks, but the ESSRI won my heart! :wub:

I think this ink will be with me for a very long dalliance! Posting some pictures, so you can see for yourselves.

ESS Registrars Ink on crappy grey-white paper, 70 gr/m2 :

Posted Image

ESS Registrars Ink on Leuchtturm 1917 ink friendly, 70 gr/m2 :

Posted Image

ESS Registrars Ink on Toyale Creme paper, 80 gr/m2 :

Posted Image

Edited by Korybas, 09 November 2011 - 18:35.

Posted Image

#40 JefferyS

JefferyS

"Don't tase me, bro!"

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 November 2011 - 19:06

I have two bottles somewhere between UK and LA; hope they arrive by mid-week next week.
Jeffery
In the Irish Channel of
New Orleans, LA

#41 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 7,178 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 14:44

Hi all!

I promised to let you know how things are going with the ESS Registrars Ink as soon as I got my bottle! Of course, I would not even attempt to reach the thoroughness of Sandy1's review, but I think you would like some feedback!

Well, the bottle came today, after only 4 days! After decanting it into a medical brown-glass bottle (thanks for the proposition, Sandy1!) I proceeded to fill my HS 1.3 Stub with the ink and started to scribble! :rolleyes:

First impressions? Excellent! :cloud9: The ink was free-flowing from the HS and to my amazement the ink flow was just perfect - wet but not too wet. See, the problem I have with other inks and my HS Stub is that the nib is too wet with inks like MB Violet and PR Tanzanite and as a consequence I had severe bleed-through that really got me steaming... This is not the case with ESSRI, the flow is just right and there is no bleed/show-through.

What is wonderful with ESSRI is that in papers like Leuchtturm (and, to a lesser degree, Toyale Creme) it changes from blue to dark blue-almost-black in a matter of seconds! What a great ink, especially for the Stub nib; even if dark, it retains the wonderful shading... I am not a big fan of blue inks, but the ESSRI won my heart! :wub:

I think this ink will be with me for a very long dalliance! Posting some pictures, so you can see for yourselves.

✃ snip ✁

Hi,

Many thanks for the follow-up, and adding more informative samples. :thumbup:

It seems as if there are at least two inks residing in that wee bottle! One that appears to be dominated by the Blue dye, the other by the iron-gall!!

Even though I mentioned that choice of paper would ". . . set the basic Look, including exact ink hue (!)", such extreme results were not seen previously. :yikes:

Also, the
ESSRI has none of the feathering / woolly line of the ink used for labeling the samples.

I am curious about the change of colour/density, especially the sample on "very crappy paper": Does the appearance change to a more dense Blue-Black as time passes?

I believe you have clearly demonstrated the need for sampling of the paper and pens prior to committing to their use when a specific Look is desired.

Thanks again!

Bye,
S1

#42 Korybas

Korybas

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2011 - 14:54

I have two bottles somewhere between UK and LA; hope they arrive by mid-week next week.

I read in this thread that it takes about nine days from UK to USA.
I am quite positive that you are going to like this ink, especially with a juicy nib... :thumbup:
Posted Image

#43 JefferyS

JefferyS

"Don't tase me, bro!"

• Moderators

• 3,212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2011 - 15:24

I hope to put the ink in my wet Homo sapiens pens. I use them for writing "to self", and want a fairly resistant ink.
Jeffery
In the Irish Channel of
New Orleans, LA

#44 Korybas

Korybas

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2011 - 23:15

Even though I mentioned that choice of paper would ". . . set the basic Look, including exact ink hue (!)", such extreme results were not seen previously. :yikes:

Also, the [/font] ESSRI has none of the feathering / woolly line of the ink used for labeling the samples.

I am curious about the change of colour/density, especially the sample on "very crappy paper": Does the appearance change to a more dense Blue-Black as time passes?

I believe you have clearly demonstrated the need for sampling of the paper and pens prior to committing to their use when a specific Look is desired.

Thanks again!

Bye,
S1

Hello!

You are right about the extreme blue in the "very crappy" paper of mine, it popped my eyes out too! The truth is that the color darkened in about a day, but the darkening time is much more than what I observed in the other two paper samples (which was about 5 secs for the Leuchtturm and 2-3 minutes for the Toyale). I scanned the samples about one hour after writing them.

I am glad that you noticed the feathering of the Iroshizuku Yama Budo ink, which I used to label the samples. I used my Stipula Model T and, truth be said, this ink with juicy pens (like HS Stub and Model T) exhibits annoying feathering in both the Leuchtturm (supposedly "ink friendly" :gaah: ) and Toyale, but not in the crappy paper! Not to mention the bleed-through... :headsmack: Isn't that sad, that an ink that costs so much more behaves worse than a much cheaper ink like ESSRI? Honest to God, I am actually thinking of loading the ESSRI in my Model T and be done with Yama Budo - even if I love the color... Well, at least until I get a pen with a dry nib! :embarrassed_smile:

Kali nichta (=Good night in Greek!)

Aris

Edited by Korybas, 11 November 2011 - 08:49.

Posted Image

#45 teeniebeenie6

teeniebeenie6

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2011 - 23:19

Thanks for the review, I just bought my first bottle. So excited to try it! It is gorgeous!

#46 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,152 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:37

My money bush staggered in today. Six months late in it's annual migration over the Alps.
All sorts of excuses. :headsmack:
*Some Greek named Ulysses conned him into going to Greece. Some tourist boat captain named Jason had him strong armed by some big burly Greek name Herky, and made him row to Georgia over by Russia, to get some wool.
The sheep wasn't the only thing sheared by them pesky Greeks.

Sigh, my money bush told me it's time for him to head south for the winter. Can't talk him out of it. I warned him it's the most dangerous time in Italy since Attila shook down the Pope. .... for money bushes...a very dangerous time.

As my bush finishes the last of my 'free beer' he says;
"A Bush has got to do what a Bush Got to Do, when it comes to adventurous life of money, markets; and the dry cleaning business."

Ink ordered.

*European in-jokes.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 16 November 2011 - 19:07.

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I no longer use the term Easy Full Flex.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Odd, how many who should know better, compares Japanese F (which equals EF), with Western F, with out a second thought, but do not compare Japanese B with Western B.

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#47 januaryman

januaryman

Clan Bruce

• Member - Gold

• 1,154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:32

I ordered mine November 4, got it yesterday, the 15th. Pretty darn fast. :clap1:

I immediately inked up my Bulow X750 and gave it a try. It laid down a very faint light blue line on note pad paper that before my eyes darked to a deeper blue and then a nice blue-black with shading I could see even with the medium nib. I may have gotten a bit of water from the converter that I washed out, so it may be different in a drier convertor. Now I'm not in love with blue-black anyway, but this is pretty darn nice. :thumbup:

Bad news: I pocketed the pen in my white striped shirt and walked about with it for a while. I guess I didn't wipe the pen as clean as I should have, because the wife pointed out there was ink on the pocket and underneath. :headsmack: Might have lost that shirt... not sure it will come out in the wash.

The ink on my hands, however, washed off with no problem at all.

Edit: BTW, no feathering, no bleed through, no show through on even the cheapest copier paper that my office uses in our laser printers.
AND - Another Thank You to Sandy1 for pointing me in the direction of this excellent ink! Your ink reviews are stellar!

Edited by januaryman, 16 November 2011 - 13:28.

#48 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 7,178 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:15

Thanks for the review, I just bought my first bottle. So excited to try it! It is gorgeous!

Hi,

You're welcome!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :thumbup:

Bye,
S1

#49 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 7,178 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:22

My money bush staggered in today. Six months late in it's annual migration over the Alps.
All sorts of excuses. :headsmack:
✃ snip ✁
Ink ordered.

*European in-jokes.

Hi Bo Bo

Once you've had time to use ESSRI with a few of your different pens & papers, please let us know of your experiences!

Bye,
S1

#50 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 7,178 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:58

I ordered mine November 4, got it yesterday, the 15th. Pretty darn fast. :clap1:

I immediately inked up my Bulow X750 and gave it a try. It laid down a very faint light blue line on note pad paper that before my eyes darked to a deeper blue and then a nice blue-black with shading I could see even with the medium nib. I may have gotten a bit of water from the converter that I washed out, so it may be different in a drier convertor. Now I'm not in love with blue-black anyway, but this is pretty darn nice. :thumbup:

Bad news: I pocketed the pen in my white striped shirt and walked about with it for a while. I guess I didn't wipe the pen as clean as I should have, because the wife pointed out there was ink on the pocket and underneath. :headsmack: Might have lost that shirt... not sure it will come out in the wash.

The ink on my hands, however, washed off with no problem at all.

Edit: BTW, no feathering, no bleed through, no show through on even the cheapest copier paper that my office uses in our laser printers.
AND - Another Thank You to Sandy1 for pointing me in the direction of this excellent ink! Your ink reviews are stellar!

Hi,

You're welcome!

Even if you're "not in love with blue-black", a meaningful relationship may still be possible! B)

About the shirt: I am not an expert on cleaning textiles, but i-g inks are known to be susceptible to eradication from paper with the use of bleach. So appropriate use of a colour-safe bleach just might do the necessary. (Test on other similar expendable cloth before using on your shirt.)

I hope ESSRI also gives the desired results from your Pelikan.

Bye,
S1

#51 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 7,178 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:06

Hi,

FWIW, here is a link to a Topic regarding use of ESSRI in Parker 51 pens:
http://www.fountainp...tion-about-p51/

Bye,
S1

Edited by Sandy1, 17 November 2011 - 10:10.

#52 JefferyS

JefferyS

"Don't tase me, bro!"

• Moderators

• 3,212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2011 - 00:21

I just received my two bottles of blue black. It is remarkable to see the writing go from a nice shade of blue to a darker shade of blue black literally within seconds. I like the resulting shade much better than MB.

Glad I bought two bottles! It will probably replace my blues and blacks.
Jeffery
In the Irish Channel of
New Orleans, LA

#53 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 7,178 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 14:25

I just received my two bottles of blue black. It is remarkable to see the writing go from a nice shade of blue to a darker shade of blue black literally within seconds. I like the resulting shade much better than MB.

Glad I bought two bottles! It will probably replace my blues and blacks.

Hi,

Many thanks for adding your impressions of ESSRI. :thumbup:

Please let us know if you come across any spectacular pens / papers to use in conjunction with this ink. And any best avoided!

Bye,
S1

Edited by Sandy1, 19 November 2011 - 01:53.

#54 Messmer

Messmer

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:24

Just got my bottle today. I tried on a rulled tablette paper sold at University of Montreal (in french: tablette UDM lignée perforée, 8½X11 product number 145803). It is the worst paper made for writing I ever found for an FP. Even Noodler's Black can't really deal with it. It drink ink like a sponge.

It seem this ink can do a better job with it. I still got some feathering but less. I won't say it is perfect. But my writing was still readeable. I would just recommand to avoid this paper at all cost. It is junk for any FP ink.
Messmer

#55 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 7,178 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:25

Just got my bottle today. I tried on a rulled tablette paper sold at University of Montreal (in french: tablette UDM lignée perforée, 8½X11 product number 145803). It is the worst paper made for writing I ever found for an FP. Even Noodler's Black can't really deal with it. It drink ink like a sponge.

It seem this ink can do a better job with it. I still got some feathering but less. I won't say it is perfect. But my writing was still readeable. I would just recommand to avoid this paper at all cost. It is junk for any FP ink.

Hi,

Many thanks for adding your experience with ESSRI to this thread! :thumbup:

Thanks also for being specific in identifying the paper that should be avoided. I hope that paper is not mandatory for any courses, (like some lab & field notebooks.)

Bye,
S1

#56 Messmer

Messmer

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2011 - 15:05

Hi,

Many thanks for adding your experience with ESSRI to this thread! :thumbup:

Thanks also for being specific in identifying the paper that should be avoided. I hope that paper is not mandatory for any courses, (like some lab & field notebooks.)

Bye,
S1

I also did some test with this http://www.fountainp...endly-notebook/ paper. It work like a charm with ESS.
Messmer

#57 JefferyS

JefferyS

"Don't tase me, bro!"

• Moderators

• 3,212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2011 - 15:17

I did some writing on Levenger Storyboard Paper. The paper seems very rough (the nib drags in it), but I didn't see any feathering. On Rhodia Web Notebook paper, the ink shows no sign of feathering but takes a few more seconds to appear dry. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on Levenger Circa paper based on this preliminary experience.
Jeffery
In the Irish Channel of
New Orleans, LA

#58 RudyR

RudyR

Man O' Blues

• Member - Gold

• 811 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2011 - 20:02

I got my 2 bottles in the mail yesterday. Now the problem. What do I decant the stuff into? I need to move it from the plastic to glass. Nice looking glass......very nice looking glass preferred. I have the Twsbi ink bottles but I need something in a larger volume. Anyone have any good ideas?
Fountain Pen is SPY!!

#59 JefferyS

JefferyS

"Don't tase me, bro!"

• Moderators

• 3,212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2011 - 20:20

I poured mine into four empty Waterman bottles.
Jeffery
In the Irish Channel of
New Orleans, LA

#60 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

Generally, sleepy.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 20:39

How timely that this thread popped up, as I've been asking for a day or two for suggestions on a quick-drying, quite permanent ink in blue-black to black shades. Someone mentioned ESSRI and now I've seen this. It looks like a great solution! Just two quick questions, being an i-g n00b:

1. While I can think of a few pens that would be nice to have this in, the pen I'm aiming to find the ink for is an Esterbrook 444 desk pen and "Dip-Less" inkwell. Being that the ink will be sitting in the well, as well as the pen sitting in that ink, do I have concerns? Do i-g inks (in the bottle) need to be shaken, and would the ink sitting in the inkwell 'settle', or is it not even an issue?

2. Since all it is is a nib sitting in the ink, it doesn't seem like cleaning will be a big issue, but since it could be in there for weeks (until I use it up), any thoughts? And the ink that is sitting in the capillary portion of the inkwell?

Heck, I'll probably get it anyway! Sandy1, I had to laugh when I read in your review the "Soul Source" for the ink - have I missed that in past reviews, or did you just include "Soul" because of the Ecclesiastical nature? Or is this Aretha's preferred ink?

Thanks - great review, as always...
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin