Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrars Ink

Sandy1

I'm still using the same Esterbrook LJ with a 9968 (I think) nib. I think it's a medium, but it writes fairly broad. It's a "firm broad script." Great for signatures, but a little broad for my writing. I'd like to switch to a finer nib, but then my two bottles really WILL last forever!

Edited by Chiro75

Steve. Just plain ol' Steve.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Bo Bo Olson

• JimB

• Chiro75

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using the same ink as my daily writer ink for years, and I'm quite happy that it does not distract me from what's written, but is sufficiently appealing that I don't mind reading what's written.

I am sorry, Sandy, to have to ask you this, but being "Ms Blue-Black" you have more experience than I do with blue-black inks, so the question just has to be asked: what blue-black ink do you use for a daily writer?

I know its a personal question, but I had to ask! :embarrassed_smile:

Aris

fpn_1355507962__snailbadge.png

Hello all!

Just thought I should report this, about ESSRI ink:

I am using it with my Visconti HS Stub for some months now, and its a wonderful ink that tames the "fire-hose" but I have noticed that it stains the piston blue. Of course, its from Titanium and I have no worries of corrosion, but I thought to let you know. I guess that I can remove the tint of the piston with some diluted amonia solution, but I haven't done so so far...

fpn_1355507962__snailbadge.png

I'm still using the same Esterbrook LJ with a 9968 (I think) nib. I think it's a medium, but it writes fairly broad. It's a "firm broad script." Great for signatures, but a little broad for my writing. I'd like to switch to a finer nib, but then my two bottles really WILL last forever!

Hi,

Many thanks for your continued updates!

I really do like the 9968 nib :) - just right for daily use. The ESSRI keeps the line from spreading, (becoming 'plump'), so I reckon its a wonderful compromise!

Perhaps during the course of using the two (!) bottles, your handwriting may adapt to that nib. :rolleyes:

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hello all!

Just thought I should report this, about ESSRI ink:

I am using it with my Visconti HS Stub for some months now, and its a wonderful ink that tames the "fire-hose" but I have noticed that it stains the piston blue. Of course, its from Titanium and I have no worries of corrosion, but I thought to let you know. I guess that I can remove the tint of the piston with some diluted amonia solution, but I haven't done so so far...

Hi,

Thanks for the update! :thumbup:

I am curious about maintenance of the pen since starting to use ESSRI: Has the pen been flushed when inking-up? Or has the pen been run for months without maintenance?

When/If you choose to use an ammonia solution to remove the stain, please let us know how it goes.

Bye,

S1

I've been using the same ink as my daily writer ink for years, and I'm quite happy that it does not distract me from what's written, but is sufficiently appealing that I don't mind reading what's written.

I am sorry, Sandy, to have to ask you this, but being "Ms Blue-Black" you have more experience than I do with blue-black inks, so the question just has to be asked: what blue-black ink do you use for a daily writer?

I know its a personal question, but I had to ask! :embarrassed_smile:

Aris

Hi Aris,

Not that personal - I've mentioned that my daily writer office ink is the discontinued Parker Quink Blue-Black with SOLV-X from a Parker Sonnet. In the field, I have most often used Montblanc Midnight Blue, less often Pelikan Blue-Black, from a rotring 600 / Pelikan P99 Technix. ESSRI is undergoing field trials, and looks likely to replace MBMBl & PBlBk.

Bye,

S1

fpn_1332442125__essridac.jpg

I thought I'd post this quick shot showing ESSRI with Diamine Ancient Copper. In most of the pens I've tried, the ESSRI has been too dry to produce the dark off-black I'm looking for. The Ahab does this well, however. Drying time is a bit impractical, but not impossible. (The Diamine Ancient Copper out of the Lamy B is just ridiculously wet, however.) The paper is a Kokuyo Campus notebook, which is my perfect middle ground between the too-hard-finished Clairefontaine and the too-thin Moleskine.

EDIT: Here's another, just for kicks...

fpn_1332443253__esscollage.jpg

Edited by DEFishback

fpn_1332442125__essridac.jpg

I thought I'd post this quick shot showing ESSRI with Diamine Ancient Copper. In most of the pens I've tried, the ESSRI has been too dry to produce the dark off-black I'm looking for. The Ahab does this well, however. Drying time is a bit impractical, but not impossible. (The Diamine Ancient Copper out of the Lamy B is just ridiculously wet, however.) The paper is a Kokuyo Campus notebook, which is my perfect middle ground between the too-hard-finished Clairefontaine and the too-thin Moleskine.

EDIT: Here's another, just for kicks...

fpn_1332443253__esscollage.jpg

Hi,

Many thanks for the updates and interesting samples! :thumbup:

It seem the ESSRI is retaining its Blue aspect on that paper. (Don't tell BoBo!) A sneaky ink indeed!!

While the I-G inks are typically a bit slower to dry than most simple dye-based inks, I have not found that to be a problem in practice. (I am right-handed, and work primarily on loose sheets that are set aside after writing.) But when one is drawing the longer S/DT can be problematic. Perhaps a more absorbent paper would give a more suitable ink+paper combo.

I really like the look of the ESSRI and DAC pairing - especially from a wet pen. :)

Bye,

S1

Ooh! I like that it stays in the bluer end of things, rather than turning completely black. And here I had pretty much convinced myself that I didn't want a blue-black ink (or a brown ink or a green ink, or a turquoise/cyan ink, or....) :headsmack:

"Honestly, officer, I really only wanted a nice purple, and a permanent blue, and the Shah's Rose just to play with in my journal...." :roflmho:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I find that both pen and paper can have a significant effect on the final hue and saturation of ESSRI. The Lamy B nib that I used with the Ancient Copper above had produced different effects with ESSRI -- a semi-dark gray-blue on photocopier stock, and a washed out steely gray on manila folder stock. My very wet Pelikan and Ahab nibs produce the nice midnight off-black that you see above, while Lamy F and EF nibs produce a lighter gray-blue.

I'm also seeing differences in the waterfastness of the blue component. On the Kokuyo stock used above, the blue can actually remain nicely fixed, while on other stocks the smear test will smudge some of the blue. I have no idea why this would be, but since I'm using Kokuyo as my main daily stock, I'm happy to have found such a rich and robust combination. (Had I stopped short of trying ESSRI in the Ahab, I might well have shelved it as nice, but ultimately too gray.)

Just bought a bottle of this. Hoping for it to arrive quickly and on time! I'll let everyone know my results. BTW - going to use it in a VERY wet Visconti HOmo Sapiens Medium Point.

Current Rotation:

Pilot Vanishing Point Gun Metal Fine

Stipula Passaporto Medium

Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Midi Medium

Hah! I've had this ink for a while, and decided to pick up a Homo Sapiens to use it to better effect...

Hmm, buying a $600 pen in order to make better use of ~$15 ink, I think I've gone rather off the deep end.

Hah! I've had this ink for a while, and decided to pick up a Homo Sapiens to use it to better effect...

Hmm, buying a $600 pen in order to make better use of ~$15 ink, I think I've gone rather off the deep end.

That would EASILY qualify as far more the going off the deep end, my friend. Welcome to FPN, enjoy your stay! :ltcapd: My HS Spends most of it's days inked with Iroshizuku, but I have a feeling it is looking for a different ink. (By IT, I mean the user, of course...as pens don't hae emotion, I think..)

Current Rotation:

Just bought a bottle of this. Hoping for it to arrive quickly and on time! I'll let everyone know my results. BTW - going to use it in a VERY wet Visconti HOmo Sapiens Medium Point.

Hi,

As always, I look forward to reading of your experience with ESSRI.

Please take note of the previous suggestions to decant the ink into at least two [glass] bottles, which was refined to propose three bottles - taking into account the large volume, avoiding sediment and keeping the ink sound as time passes. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/205705-ecclesiastical-stationery-supplies-registrars-ink/page__view__findpost__p__2164772

Bye,

S1

Hi,

:yikes:

Well - what to say!?!?

I readily accept that I enable inky pleasures, and it was suggested that I am a 'paper pusher', but I must draw the line (go into denial) at the suggestion that I promote acquisition of exceptionally wonderful pens in order to match an ink!

Bye,

S1

P.S. Let us know how you like the ESSRI + Homo Sapiens combo!

I find that both pen and paper can have a significant effect on the final hue and saturation of ESSRI. The Lamy B nib that I used with the Ancient Copper above had produced different effects with ESSRI -- a semi-dark gray-blue on photocopier stock, and a washed out steely gray on manila folder stock. My very wet Pelikan and Ahab nibs produce the nice midnight off-black that you see above, while Lamy F and EF nibs produce a lighter gray-blue.

I'm also seeing differences in the waterfastness of the blue component. On the Kokuyo stock used above, the blue can actually remain nicely fixed, while on other stocks the smear test will smudge some of the blue. I have no idea why this would be, but since I'm using Kokuyo as my main daily stock, I'm happy to have found such a rich and robust combination. (Had I stopped short of trying ESSRI in the Ahab, I might well have shelved it as nice, but ultimately too gray.)

Hi,

Many thanks for the detailed description of the pen+paper combos used with ESSRI! :thumbup:

Your experience is consistent in that "both pen and paper can have a significant effect on the final hue and saturation of ESSRI". i.e. Consistent in that results are variable.

I had not suspected that the Blue dye would display different levels of water resistance on different stock. Though I think that water resistance is a core property of the I-G component.

(IIRC, Member mstone posted some samples/tests of inks' water resistance on various stock in the ICS&T SubForum, but the results seemed inconclusive.)

I have a borrowed Noodler's Ahab, so I really should give it a go with ESSRI - or would that be viewed as 'pen enabling'?

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Hi,

Please take note of the previous suggestions to decant the ink into at least two [glass] bottles, which was refined to propose three bottles - taking into account the large volume, avoiding sediment and keeping the ink sound as time passes. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/205705-ecclesiastical-stationery-supplies-registrars-ink/page__view__findpost__p__2164772

Bye,

S1

Sandy, would it be OK in your opinion to use a syringe and sample vials instead? I'm not an ink nut, so I don't have any empty bottle laying about.

Current Rotation:

Hi,

Bye,

S1

Sandy, would it be OK in your opinion to use a syringe and sample vials instead? I'm not an ink nut, so I don't have any empty bottle laying about.

Sorry for butting in, but I just bought a large Private Reserve empty bottle from the Goulets for this very purpose. Just be sure to wash it out thoroughly, if you decide to do the same. I was nervous leaving it in plastic, too.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

Sorry for butting in, but I just bought a large Private Reserve empty bottle from the Goulets for this very purpose. Just be sure to wash it out thoroughly, if you decide to do the same. I was nervous leaving it in plastic, too.

No apology needed! Forgot that they sold empty bottles. Thanks, Januaryman!

Current Rotation:

Hi,

Please take note of the previous suggestions to decant the ink into at least two [glass] bottles, which was refined to propose three bottles - taking into account the large volume, avoiding sediment and keeping the ink sound as time passes. http://www.fountainp...ost__p__2164772

Bye,

S1

Hi,

For future reference of all concerned, here's the link to the Inky Thoughts thread 'Why are ink bottles made of glass?'

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/217794-why-are-ink-bottles-made-of-glass/page__view__findpost__p__2291927

As mentioned [somewhere] above, I do not care to dissuade people from handling the ink as they see fit, but I would be remiss not to share my choices and the rationale driving those choices. I like to think that over time, Members will handle the ink in a variety of ways, and our experience will generate even more suggestions and choices.

Bye,

S1