Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrars Ink

Sandy1

I have some of this on the way and am eager to try it. I'll put it in my Pelikan, but I also have a Hero 329 that writes a fine but extremely wet line. I think ESSRI might do wonders for both pens.

Hi,

I look forward to hearing of your experiences with this ink!

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Bo Bo Olson

• JimB

• Chiro75

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some of this on the way and am eager to try it. I'll put it in my Pelikan, but I also have a Hero 329 that writes a fine but extremely wet line. I think ESSRI might do wonders for both pens.

It tamed my M1000 OB, by far the most generously flowing pen in my stable.

JLT (J. L. Trasancos, Barneveld, NY)

"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."

Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962)

After reading Sandy1's initial review I splurged and bought a bottle. It is presently loaded in a vintage Wyvern 60C with a wet broad-medium nib. I have found the final color of the ink and the amount of shading vary a lot depending on the paper used. On Staples bagasse it shows less shading and dries bluer than it does on most regular copy/notebook papers. The ink performs very well on the brightly colored copy papers I use to write my answer keys/markschemes. It has been a perfect match for the Wyvern. Without this review I would never have known about this ink. My thanks go to Sandy1 for bringing this one to my attention.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

After reading Sandy1's initial review I splurged and bought a bottle. It is presently loaded in a vintage Wyvern 60C with a wet broad-medium nib. I have found the final color of the ink and the amount of shading vary a lot depending on the paper used. On Staples bagasse it shows less shading and dries bluer than it does on most regular copy/notebook papers. The ink performs very well on the brightly colored copy papers I use to write my answer keys/markschemes. It has been a perfect match for the Wyvern. Without this review I would never have known about this ink. My thanks go to Sandy1 for bringing this one to my attention.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing you experience with ESSRI - especially identifying the pen + paper combos. :thumbup:

You don't mention the brand of the coloured papers you've used, but from my previous experience, inexpensive coloured paper seems even more FP-hostile than the White paper. (I rarely use Staples Creme 20lb in my Ink Reviews as it is just too inconsistent to be used for comparison - fit only for demonstration of colour, not performance. And I have a ream of that stuff.)

Bye,

S1

Sandy1,

Maybe I missed it somewhere in the last five pages, but how did you discover this ink? Without this review I would have never known about it.

Thanks,

Bill

P.S. Love the Endless Summer avatar...brings back memories of my heroes (Robert August).

edited for clarification.

Edited by wpb

Sandy1,

Maybe I missed it somewhere in the last five pages, but how did you discover this ink? Without this review I would have never known about it.

Thanks,

Bill

P.S. Love the Endless Summer avatar...brings back memories of my heroes (Robert August).

edited for clarification.

Hi,

In a few of the early Posts, nmxcop (Post 4 ), WillSW (Post 5) and encremental (Post 8) mention that they had ESSRI prior to this review, so I reckon it was one of their prior posts on a different topic that piqued my curiosity about an elusive I-G ink.

Bye,

S1

Hi,

Thanks for sharing you experience with ESSRI - especially identifying the pen + paper combos. :thumbup:

You don't mention the brand of the coloured papers you've used, but from my previous experience, inexpensive coloured paper seems even more FP-hostile than the White paper. (I rarely use Staples Creme 20lb in my Ink Reviews as it is just too inconsistent to be used for comparison - fit only for demonstration of colour, not performance. And I have a ream of that stuff.)

Bye,

S1

Mostly Staples pastel colors with a few of their brighter colors when they are on sale. For my use the exact color is less important than cost. They are part of my strategy for combating cheating from those students with the, "I don't care what I learn as long as I get an A," attitude. The Staples goldenrod, in particular, is really nasty with fountain pens. Even usually reliable medium nib/ink combos feel scratchy. I have also had problems with the Wausau colored paper and the HP brilliant yellow. The ESSRI is second only to Baystate Blue for smooth writing on those papers.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Has any FPN member in the Middle East ever ordered this ink? I want to order a couple of bottles, but I'm concerned that it might get stopped at Customs...

Has any FPN member in the Middle East ever ordered this ink? I want to order a couple of bottles, but I'm concerned that it might get stopped at Customs...

Hi,

To the best of my knowledge, the ink should not be a restricted product.

The packaging that I have seen does not include any religious symbols, sayings, quotations, etc.

However, the very word 'Ecclesiastical', denotes the Christian church.

WIKI: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ecclesiastical

When in the Middle East, especially on the Arabian Peninsula, there is always exceptionally high sensitivity to the laws, sensibilities and culture of our hosts.

Perhaps you might ask the nice people at ESS to send a bottle without a label other than 'Ink', in packaging with just 'ESS' + address as the Sender.

As ESSRI is unlikely to be found at the Al Buraimi oasis souq, perhaps contact a clergyman [in Ruwi] to handle it on your behalf.

That said, I would err on the side of caution - no point risking a BAN stamp on your passport and being deported over a misunderstanding about a bottle of ink.

Best Regards,

S1

Hi,

To the best of my knowledge, the ink should not be a restricted product.

The packaging that I have seen does not include any religious symbols, sayings, quotations, etc.

However, the very word 'Ecclesiastical', denotes the Christian church.

WIKI: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ecclesiastical

When in the Middle East, especially on the Arabian Peninsula, there is always exceptionally high sensitivity to the laws, sensibilities and culture of our hosts.

Perhaps you might ask the nice people at ESS to send a bottle without a label other than 'Ink', in packaging with just 'ESS' + address as the Sender.

As ESSRI is unlikely to be found at the Al Buraimi oasis souq, perhaps contact a clergyman [in Ruwi] to handle it on your behalf.

That said, I would err on the side of caution - no point risking a BAN stamp on your passport and being deported over a misunderstanding about a bottle of ink.

Best Regards,

S1

Thanks Sandy for the comprehensive reply. I rolled on the floor laughing about some of it (e.g., the unavailability of the ink in the Buraimi souq...or the Mutrah one for that matter). I'm also impressed you know about the church in Ruwi; there's now another in Ghala.

I am not so concerned about the word "ecclesiastical". My principal concern is that the postal service or Customs here always seems to open packages, and with a liquid in a small, strange bottle, they might assume it was alcohol. Of course, I would have a secret chuckle if the Customs employees ripped open the bottle to check for booze and got the ink all over their hands in the process. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to lose any of this ink!!

I thought of another possible solution: I can ask someone traveling to the UK to receive it in the mail there and bring it back for me in his luggage.

PS: I love your ink reviews :notworthy1:

At least it says "Registrars Ink" right on the bottle. And the size of the bottle contraindicates booze. All of this is assuming that the customs inspectors have an ounce of sense, of course.

I'm still eagerly waiting for mine to arrive.

On the bottle itself, it does not say "Ecclesiastical" Just "ESS." I can't remember what the packaging on the outside said.

I don't think anybody could mistake this for alcohol. Even the colour is too subdued for blue curacao.

The ink is in my flexi-nibbed Pelikan, and seems to have found a happy home there. The paper does seem to make a difference, I have noticed that too.

Just a wee followup:

I bought a bottle of this ink after reading the first few pages of this thread, and have now been using it for a couple of months. Experimentally at first, in cheaper pens. Then as I fell in love with this ink (I love the colour, the shading, the lack of show through and bleed through), I started using on all my pen, from cheap to very pricey, from old to new. The only pens it does NOT do well with are the drier pens (e.g. all my Stipulas, which run bone dry). This ink does perform better with wetter pens, and helps to tame the gushers. I don't think it's as dry as R&K Salix, but that's only an impression - I have not really compared them head-to-head. Perhaps Sandy1 could say better on that score.

I will be buying more.

Ken

Alright, well, I'm still using this as my exclusive ink, everyday. Great stuff. My only complaint is that, after a while, it gets... Boring. I wrote a line or two with my much neglected desk pen, loaded with Noodler's Black, the other day and I was overjoyed... At black ink. LOL. The ESSRI is cool stuff, and it has a nice look to it (I really like it when it is fully darkened) but it has a kind of drab, boring look when writing with it. Maybe I'm just too used to it after a couple months of only using it, but I'm going to keep cranking! It's such a well behaved ink it's hard not to love it even if it is less than exciting!

Steve. Just plain ol' Steve.

At least it says "Registrars Ink" right on the bottle. And the size of the bottle contraindicates booze. All of this is assuming that the customs inspectors have an ounce of sense, of course.

I'm still eagerly waiting for mine to arrive.

Hi,

I look forward to hearing (and seeing) of your experience with this ink!

Bye,

S1

snip

The ink is in my flexi-nibbed Pelikan, and seems to have found a happy home there. The paper does seem to make a difference, I have noticed that too.

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the ink+pen combo!

Have you noticed any trend as to the different papers used?

Bye,

S1

Really looks like Diamine if you ask me.

Hi,

The similarity was mentioned in one of the earlier Posts : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/205705-ecclesiastical-stationery-supplies-registrars-ink/page__view__findpost__p__2123380

It would be of interest to see a comparison.

Not being a user of DRI, I wonder why it does not have the appeal that ESSRI elicits. :hmm1:

Bye,

S1

Just a wee followup:

I bought a bottle of this ink after reading the first few pages of this thread, and have now been using it for a couple of months. Experimentally at first, in cheaper pens. Then as I fell in love with this ink (I love the colour, the shading, the lack of show through and bleed through), I started using on all my pen, from cheap to very pricey, from old to new. The only pens it does NOT do well with are the drier pens (e.g. all my Stipulas, which run bone dry). This ink does perform better with wetter pens, and helps to tame the gushers. I don't think it's as dry as R&K Salix, but that's only an impression - I have not really compared them head-to-head. Perhaps Sandy1 could say better on that score.

I will be buying more.

Ken

Hi Ken,

Many thanks for sharing your longer-term experience with this ink! :thumbup:

While many have mentioned the ability of ESSRI to match their wet pens, I agree with matching it with "bone dry" pens does not bring out the most desirable aspects of the ink. That said, I prefer ESSRI at the paler densities, where a good range of colour, tone and shading remain after the oxidisation, etc. has run its course. (Months only, not yet years.)

If one looks at the samples from the Platinum President Purist, a dry pen, on the G Lalo, a paper with low absorbency, the Look does change character considerably. Viewing the ink-on-paper originals, the very surface seems to be 'tinted' rather that 'dyed'.

A set of comparison exemplars was posted in my Review of Salix, Post № 11, so through manipulation of your browser windows, those can be seen sideXside with the Written Samples in this Review, though not all pens & papers are in common. (There are limits to OCD!)

I think the wet-dry aspect is more complex, and involves the ability of the ink to be absorbed by the paper. I would say that Salix is more likely to give an unacceptable result from a dry pen on non-absorbent paper.

Bye,

S1

Alright, well, I'm still using this as my exclusive ink, everyday. Great stuff. My only complaint is that, after a while, it gets... Boring. I wrote a line or two with my much neglected desk pen, loaded with Noodler's Black, the other day and I was overjoyed... At black ink. LOL. The ESSRI is cool stuff, and it has a nice look to it (I really like it when it is fully darkened) but it has a kind of drab, boring look when writing with it. Maybe I'm just too used to it after a couple months of only using it, but I'm going to keep cranking! It's such a well behaved ink it's hard not to love it even if it is less than exciting!

Hi,

So nice of you to continue to share your experiences with ESSRI! Reading your prior Posts gives us a sense of progression. :clap1:

I certainly agree that using any ink exclusively / constantly can cause the rose to lose the twinkling morning dew.

I've been using the same ink as my daily writer ink for years, and I'm quite happy that it does not distract me from what's written, but is sufficiently appealing that I don't mind reading what's written. I also avoid writing in excess - self-indulgence in the pleasure of writing results in the high-lighter being one's second most used desktop implement. ;)

I think it is grand to have an ink that doesn't interfere with writing, and that top-notch results are taken for granted.

Have you settled on a certain type of pen+nib for your purposes?

Bye,

S1