#1 penluvva

penluvva

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2011 - 13:20

The Waterman CF fountain pen. I understand 'CF' refers to cartridge filled/er. Correct? Apart from that I know nothing at all. Is it a desirable pen to acquire? The one I have seen is either gold, or gold coloured, both barrel and cap. The nib section has black in it, but I do notice that the nib layout/design very closely resembles a Sheaffer inlaid nib, almost. Supposedly dated around 1950s for that model of pen.

I am assuming that I will get all the information about this pen on FPN within a short space of time. The pen looks in very good condition, so any suggestions as to the value/price range would also be appreciated.
Thanks.

#2 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,416 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2011 - 14:15

Th CFs were a nice very slim pen with generally good performance. The CF style cartridge and converter though are NOT the same as the international standard cartridge or converter but you can often get replacement converters from Waterman (1-800-Best Pen) or from Pen Seller in France.

How pierceful grows the hazy yon! How myrtle petaled thou! For spring hath sprung the cyclotron - How high browse thou, brown cow? -- Churchy LaFemme, 1950

Anyone so limited that they can only spell a word one way suffers a severe handicap. -- jar

The last pen I bought will be the next to last pen I ever buy! --jar

#3 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2011 - 15:24

There's also a zillion variants, some of which are more desireable than others. I've found the points to be a little finicky, desiring a very soft hand, but they are very nice to write with when they're in temper.
Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

#4 philm

philm

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2011 - 19:55

Penluvva,

They are attractive pens, though be careful of the nibs, as some are subject to quite a bit of tarnishing and flaking. Some have held up better than others. As previously mentioned by Ernst, there are many flavors and varying degrees of quality. Another factor is that I believe they have a converter that is hard to get, and full cartridges are rare. I use a syringe and fill old cartridges when using mine.

For more follow this link - Waterman C/F

And, you can fill it on the dance floor.....

Posted Image

#5 Liarbyrd

Liarbyrd

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 19:19

The C/F is a nice little pen. As it's been said before, they come in a wide variety. The pen ranged from the very inexpensive, mostly plastic model to an all metal, more expensive, model. I have a low end version and a mid-range version. Both are great writers. You can find a few new old stock on the bay, usually at a reasonable price.

The only real draw back the C/F is finding a cartridge or convertor. Those have not been made since the late Seventies and are, arguably, worth more than the pen.

Overall, I like my C/F. It's worth it, as long as you know about the cartridge issue.

#6 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• 7,393 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2011 - 23:45

Yup, nice enough pen. I would not mind owning one, with a few converters to spare. But I am not going to buy one just because of the converter problem (And I always seem to get into airbubble porblems with most converters)

D.ick

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation. :

#7 SnowLeopard

SnowLeopard

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:50

Great pens..18K inlayed nib...very smooth writer...lacquer over brass all black is a desirable pen. Look for a printed registration number as the lac over brass is subject to cracking....and repaired pens lack the registration number after being fixed. The section and barrel fit... screw over a brass fitting that unites the two parts...cool. Lac caps in condition are more costly than metal...generally.Converters can be obtained from Waterman at about 12$ USD. Pen> a couple of C notes if in original...and fine+ condition.

#8 penluvva

penluvva

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:04

Thank you all for your comments, and Snowleopard, re your comment "reg.no" printed on pen, mine has 'C' or'G' 05 on the end of the nib section where it screws into the barrel. Is that what you are referring to ?

I posted this query on the 4th October with a view to getting a particular Waterman CF pen. If you view my later post on 9th Oct. - "Am I lucky, or what ?" you can see the update re the pen I bought, a gold CF, and subsequently bidding for another Waterman CF, which had the cartridge converter inside.

#9 secrep

secrep

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2011 - 14:10

. . . . (And I always seem to get into airbubble porblems with most converters)

D.ick

Me too. Is this an intrinsic problem or am I doing something wrong with my Waterman converters?

#10 jar

jar

• Member - Gold

• 16,416 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2011 - 14:34

D.ick

Me too. Is this an intrinsic problem or am I doing something wrong with my Waterman converters?

It is a common problem but there are several possible solutions.

The easiest I have found is to simply flush the converter just before filling with a water/liquid detergent solution, empty that and then fill with your ink.

Another solution is to insert a very soft spring into the converter, one that collapses easily during fill.

How pierceful grows the hazy yon! How myrtle petaled thou! For spring hath sprung the cyclotron - How high browse thou, brown cow? -- Churchy LaFemme, 1950

Anyone so limited that they can only spell a word one way suffers a severe handicap. -- jar

#11 secrep

secrep

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2011 - 15:31

D.ick

It is a common problem but there are several possible solutions.

The easiest I have found is to simply flush the converter just before filling with a water/liquid detergent solution, empty that and then fill with your ink.

Another solution is to insert a very soft spring into the converter, one that collapses easily during fill.

Jar - thanks for the pointers. Would dish washing detergent work? I assume a quite dilute solution would be best. I'm a bit unclear about how one would implement the spring suggestion.

#12 jar

jar

• Member - Gold

• 16,416 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2011 - 18:14

Jar - thanks for the pointers. Would dish washing detergent work? I assume a quite dilute solution would be best. I'm a bit unclear about how one would implement the spring suggestion.

Dish washing detergent is fine.

The spring is neat. Get a very soft spring that is wider than the opening in the throat and just screw it into the converter body. It needs to be soft so it will collapse with the piston but it breaks up any surface tension that would hold an air bubble at the opening.

#13 RMN

RMN

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• 7,393 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2011 - 22:57

Modern Montblanc converters come with a springcoil. Alas thes converters won't fit most other brands. Darn.

D.ick

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation. :