#31 kronos77

kronos77

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2011 - 17:20

ok, if you have seen this in person, is it Indigo--that is, a blue close to violet--or is it a primary blue? Seems to be some disagreement.

#32 CatBookMom

CatBookMom

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2011 - 20:23

Thanks for the review! I've got a sample in my cart at Goulet now.

#33 corniche

corniche

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Location:No one will tell me & I've never been good at geography
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:37

ok, if you have seen this in person, is it Indigo--that is, a blue close to violet--or is it a primary blue? Seems to be some disagreement.

Hello Kronos77,

That always seems to be the case; I know if you look at the Denim sample Strang just put up in "Inky Thoughts," you wouldn't think it was the same ink that is depicted here. No matter how hard everyone tries, (and I know Sandy tries hard), to accomplish a perfect electronic facsimile- it always seems to fall short.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... thank goodness for sample vials and 30ml. bottles. :thumbup:

Here's Strang's Post

All the best,

Sean :)

Edited by S. P. Colfer, 11 October 2011 - 03:41.

Catholicism is the law of life, the life of the intelligence, the solution to all problems.  Catholicism is the Truth and everything that departs from it, one iota, is disorder, deception and error. - Juan D. Cortés

Catholics Come Home.org

#34 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,724 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 13:06

Hi,

For some clarity/reference, I have scanned a portion of a colour wheel :
Posted Image

I suggest that one would do well to read the wiki entry on 'Indigo', which shows various and numerous colours which may share that name - one of which is 'Denim'. LINK

I do not share your sense of 'disagreement'. I believe the replies are good-natured discussion and sharing of opinions & observations; perhaps instigated in part by my [loud & fussy] dissatisfaction about the name which Diamine has given to this ink.

As to the accuracy of the scans in this review:
The colour depicted in this Review has a high degree of fidelity to the only 'official' reference, which is seen on the Diamine site. The construct below gives the viewer some idea of that comparison. The Diamine
site Denim sample is in the centre position, with a 3-pass swab above, a 2-pass swab below, and the Carene Swatach to the left and Right sides.

. . . . . . . Posted Image
Posted Image
. . . . . . Posted Image

I certainly agree with Sean's observation in Post № 33 about facsimiles. Pixels on a monitor do not fully convey what started as ink-on-paper, many nuances are lost. But I believe we are doing a fair bit better than an observer in Plato's Cave. It is well known and clearly understood by many that if one wants to see the colour of an ink, then one must see that ink from their own pens, on their own paper and under whatever light sources are in use.

Bye,
S1

Edited by Sandy1, 11 October 2011 - 21:30.

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

#35 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 6,724 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 13:13

Thanks for the review! I've got a sample in my cart at Goulet now.

Hi,

You're welcome!

Let us know when the ink's on the paper from your pen!!

Bye,
S1

#36 Moondrop

Moondrop

I'd drink ink if there was caffeine in it

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 19:40

Wow. The review and the color. I'm not big on blue inks, but I like this one. :thumbup:
"We have only one thing to give up. Our dominion. We don't own the world. We're not kings yet. Not gods. Can we give that up? Too precious, all that control? Too tempting, being a god?"

#37 Bill Wood

Bill Wood

Bill Wood

• Member - Gold

• 911 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2011 - 19:58

Great review Sandy - thank you. My bottle is in the post !

#38 Pelikan_FP

Pelikan_FP

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2011 - 23:57

Thanks Sandy for the excellent and comprehensive review of this ink. I'll pass on this one. Cost savings is much appreciated ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing"-Socrates
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#39 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 6,724 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 14:25

Wow. The review and the color. I'm not big on blue inks, but I like this one. :thumbup:

Hi,

I'm getting a bit better acquainted with Denim as I run out the TWSBI. I'm enjoying it as well!

Bye,
S1

#40 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 6,724 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 14:32

Thanks Sandy for the excellent and comprehensive review of this ink. I'll pass on this one. Cost savings is much appreciated ;)

Hi,

You're welcome!

Glad you were able to avoid what might have been an unrewarding expenditure. :thumbup:

Bye,
S1

#41 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,473 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:55

got mine today... love it. nice dark blue color, flows great -it's currently being worn (pun alert B) ) by my Laban Kaiser, one of the driest pens i own and performs beautifully!.
Lovemy51 Posted Image

pleese, forgeeve my bad espelling!! Posted Image

#42 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 6,724 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:10

got mine today... love it. nice dark blue color, flows great -it's currently being worn (pun alert B) ) by my Laban Kaiser, one of the driest pens i own and performs beautifully!.

Hi,
Thanks for letting us know!
Bye,
S1

#43 JefferyS

JefferyS

"Don't tase me, bro!"

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:34

Well, denim is a good word for this blue. I don't like blues that divert to purple or turquoise or orchid. And denims are never purple, turquoise, or orchid.

They could have named it Big Mac Blue, but that sounds like a Nathan ink. Nathan, how about a Big Mac Blue? Or a Blue Collar Blue?

For those of you under the age of 40, Big Mac was a JC Penney cotton blue work shirt for blue collar workers, and it had to match bluejeans. Michael Stivic often wore them on All in the Family. What a neutral blue!
Jeffery
In the Irish Channel of
New Orleans, LA

#44 kp288908

kp288908

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:01

...Big Mac was a JC Penney cotton blue work shirt for blue collar workers, and it had to match bluejeans. Michael Stivic often wore them on All in the Family.

What a great reference! Such a blast from the past. Always love hearing from you, Jeffery!

If you don't have love in your heart, you don't have anything.

#45 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,327 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2011 - 17:01

I can still hear Carol O'Connor saying "Meat Head"

#46 tinta

tinta

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,076 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2011 - 22:01

Sandy1, I have always enjoyed your reviews.
As a total techno-peasant, I often do not know how to effectively navigate web sites or posts. But this time I clicked on anything where the cursor turned into a "little hand".
Voila!
All kinds of additional information could be gleaned from your enlarged writing samples.
I'm impressed.
Though not a blue fan per se, as I was forced to use only blue in school, this Denim may be a good choice. It is quite like the colour of denim that has not been stone washed.
Indigo-like.
I like the colour & performance (& price per volume) of my first Diamine ink: Burt Sienna.
Hopefully this Denim will also please.
Thanks.
Sailor 1911 Standards: *Black/rhodium, 0.8 mm stub, *Black/gold, 0.8 mm. stub & 0.95 mm. stub/italic, *Burgundy/gold, 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI & 1.1 mm. CI, *Sailor Profit Standards: Brown & Red Marble Mozaiques, acrylic/rhodium, 0.9 mm. CI & 0.7 mm.CI, *Edison (Purple-Web Celluloid) Pearl, ss. JoWo, 1.1mm. Butter-line stub & Panache CI

#47 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 6,724 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:32

Sandy1, I have always enjoyed your reviews.
As a total techno-peasant, I often do not know how to effectively navigate web sites or posts. But this time I clicked on anything where the cursor turned into a "little hand".
Voila!
All kinds of additional information could be gleaned from your enlarged writing samples.
I'm impressed.
Though not a blue fan per se, as I was forced to use only blue in school, this Denim may be a good choice. It is quite like the colour of denim that has not been stone washed.
Indigo-like.
I like the colour & performance (& price per volume) of my first Diamine ink: Burt Sienna.
Hopefully this Denim will also please.
Thanks.

Hi,

I'm glad that you enjoy my wee Reviews, and are finding lots of information about the ink.
(Due to bandwidth concerns, I was asked not to include full size images of HiRes scans, so the reader must click on a link to display that image as I intended.)

I have used this a few times since the Review, and find it quite appealing.

Let us know of your experiences with this ink - especially as you are "not a blue fan per se".

Bye,
S1

#48 vistafan

vistafan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 21:11

Thanks for another great review, Sandy. I'm using it today in a medium nibbed TWSBI and I love it!! Previously, I used it in a fine nibbed Safari and I was not as keen on it. What a difference pen combination makes!

#49 Sandy1

Sandy1

Minty

• Member - Gold

• 6,724 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:19

Thanks for another great review, Sandy. I'm using it today in a medium nibbed TWSBI and I love it!! Previously, I used it in a fine nibbed Safari and I was not as keen on it. What a difference pen combination makes!

Hi,

You're welcome!

It seems that going to a wider nib usually makes a subtle ink more interesting - just because more ink is shown.

Was there a big difference in the tone of the ink when you changed nibs? Or was it just the increase of line width more appealing?

Bye,
S1

EDIT - to add: My Personal Pen & Paper Pick was the TWSBI + M nib. Is there a bit of majik to be found in that ink+pen combo?

Edited by Sandy1, 24 February 2012 - 11:23.

#50 vistafan

vistafan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 18:51

Hi,You're welcome!It seems that going to a wider nib usually makes a subtle ink more interesting - just because more ink is shown. Was there a big difference in the tone of the ink when you changed nibs? Or was it just the increase of line width more appealing?Bye,S1EDIT - to add: My Personal Pen & Paper Pick was the TWSBI + M nib. Is there a bit of majik to be found in that ink+pen combo?

When I used the fine Safari, I could see more grey undertones to the blue. In my medium TWSBI 540, it's much darker, richer and more blue. I definitely agree medium TWSBI 540 + Diamine Denim = Majik :cloud9: