#1 Pietru

Pietru

scribblemeister

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2011 - 13:15

I started with classical Hebrew last year and though I don't have any more credits this year in the language, I've continued some reading and practice over the summer. It was fun to see how many students (we weren't a big class so everyone got to know one other) began to develop their own personal response to the letters soon after mastering the alphabet. I'm including pictures of classwork from 2010 and something I wrote this morning.

It would be fun to see what others' handwriting looks like, be it in biblical Hebrew or modern Hebrew, pointed or unpointed, calligraphic or hurried home work!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Pietru, 19 September 2011 - 13:17.

The Llama is a woolly sort of fleecy hairy goat, with an indolent expression and an undulating throat; like an unsuccessful literary man.
― Hilaire Belloc
Posted Image

#2 Ytland

Ytland

The Swagman

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2011 - 14:14

Cool! Classical Hebrew is an infinitely complex language, with many esoteric undertones that surpass the superficial meaning of the words themselves....

But, a pic! The top script is like yours, the second the more commonly used modern Hebrew script. The final one is what's known as "Rashi" script, and is used most prominently for the commentaries in the Talmud.

IMAG0530.jpg

Edited by Ytland, 19 September 2011 - 14:23.

Express Nib Grinding Down Under at AUSSIE PEN REPAIR
Email: aussiepenrepair@gmail.com

Pens for Sale

Posted Image

#3 Randal6393

Randal6393

Granddaugter is great!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:48

One of the more prominent modern calligraphers is David Ismar. He worked both in Hebrew and English. Think you might enjoy his work.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

#4 Pietru

Pietru

scribblemeister

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2011 - 16:55

Ytland, thanks for posting! The modern cursive looks like a whole different alphabet. I'm actually quite relieve not to be studying Hebrew without the vowels this year.

Randal, I checked out some of his work, WOW! Those drawings are amazing. Definitely a talent.
The Llama is a woolly sort of fleecy hairy goat, with an indolent expression and an undulating throat; like an unsuccessful literary man.
― Hilaire Belloc
Posted Image

#5 bobs51

bobs51

Give me pens, and no one gets hurt!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:51

Just a note; the Hebrew calligrapher's name is Ismar David, not David Ismar.

Bob