Pelikan 100N Danzig Production?

christof

Last week end I was quite lucky at the flea market and did find some pens. (Have a look at H E R E )

There was also a Pelikan 100N with a single cap band and a clip wich looks like Danzig production. As far as I know produced Pelikan in Danzig before WWII. But if you have a closer look to this pen, you'll see that there is a later 1950's barrel. Is this another mixed up pen? Or is there something I don't know?

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6156/6161400241_febaecefbd_b.jpg

Pelikan experts, please help.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• Donna

• DougS

• daenghafez

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Christhof!

There have been some' strange' 'Danzig' Pelikan 100N that were to be from the Free City of Danzig (now it's correct Polish spelling GDANSK) that do not have

a step in the ebonite section, without the rubber piston turning knob and same cap top.

In the last Pelikan book by Dittmer and Lehman (green book) if correct all are celluloid as those on Martin Lehmans website, URL www.pelikan-guide.de are celluloid

section, piston mechanism,cap top barrels.

The first Danzig Pelikan 100N was assembled with the familar pre-1939 ebonite parts as were are familiar .

Why I say 'assembled' in Gdansk was that Gunther Wagners Pelikan premises on Adolf Hitler Str, 205 Danzig-Langfur (now ulica.Grundwaldzka 205, GDANSK-Wrzeszcz),POLAND

because before September,1939 the 'Free City' was controlled by the League of Nations where all goods entering/leaving Poland were highly taxed by the Polish Customs (Glowny

Urzad Celny) .

Danzig was really a wharehouse to assemble Pelikans from parts from Germany thus avoiding heavy taxes if destined finally for sale in Poland.

Speaking with both Mr. Dittmer and Martin Lehman little is known by Pelikan Hannover in their archives what really was going on in Danig at that time.

However, there is plenty of information ,lettersincluding pricelist dated 1939 on GW Pelikan stationary about supplying the Polish Pelikan dealers with

its products.(available on Polish fountain collectors website).

When I have time I shall publish the documentation unless someone from our Polish gets there more quickly.

After September, 1939 the picture of Gunther Wagner's business is unclear as their Sales Manager being Jewish little is known about what happened to the poor fellow

Personally believe Danzig post 1939 was supplying other markets then it would be correct to have celluloid piston turning knob, cap top barrel, 'CN' nib,etc as foreign

currency was needed by Nazi Germany but the market was not Poland anymore.

Maybe Mr Propas knows were all those rare Danzig 100N Pelikans have gone as I have no idea

:notworthy1::bonk:

Many people believe that the Pelikan

Thanks a lot for this informations Donna.

As far as I understand, do you confirm that there was a Pelikan production in Danzig until 1939. And there are no informations what happens there after 1939 when Poland was attacked by Germany as the first country in Europe.

That's the reason for my question, why a pen with a Danzig cap could be fitted with a 1949-54 after-war barrel. I'd say: a mixed up pen. But, one can never know...

Not sure what this is but I've been told it's a Danzig pen.

Synthetic seal, CN nib, step in section. The Binde is an odd shade of green unlike all my others.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/pennemo/Pelikan/004.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/pennemo/Pelikan/005.jpg

Edited by DougS

Synthetic seal, CN nib, step in section. The Binde is an odd shade of green unlike all my others.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/pennemo/Pelikan/004.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/pennemo/Pelikan/005.jpg

If I am not mistaken, one of the characteristic of the Danzig pen is having a single capring. The clip however is unmistakably a Danzig.

post-32536-0-13689200-1316576157.jpgThanks a lot for this informations Donna.

As far as I understand, do you confirm that there was a Pelikan production in Danzig until 1939. And there are no informations what happens there after 1939 when Poland was attacked by Germany as the first country in Europe.

That's the reason for my question, why a pen with a Danzig cap could be fitted with a 1949-54 after-war barrel. I'd say: a mixed up pen. But, one can never know...

Hello Christof !

Yes, correct it is unclear what was assembled or if a small manufacturing later existed after September 1939 by GW Pelikan though

the Langhfur-Danzig were only for 'putting together 'Pelikan pens as the known 101N Danzig with single cap ring, section step with

diamond end clip.

It is correct that there was a premises from 1922 for office supplies,inks, erasers,etc until the Pelikan fountain pen of 1929 which was

only made in Hannover plant.

During the 1930s the full range Pelikan 100, 101 later 100N models for export was available to Polish dealers at a very competitive

price compared to the Polish Kawuska pen range.

What is surprising in 1939 the gold versions were less expensive than the famous Toledo unless this was to do with the Polish Zloty

currency exchange rate.

In 1945 after the fighting had stopped there was a strong room (safe) at the GW premises that was opened by the oldest lock and safe

makers in Gdansk. A few years ago an elderly locksmith gave an interview describing what he saw as many pens but he told to leave after having

been paid with money but no pens.

It seems that your Pelikan Danzig 100N may be as Mr Propas and others believe a mixture (mongrel) with a later cap top but 1949-53 barrel.

The information about the Danzig GW premises I will post in detail when it is all together with paper advertisements before 1939.

Edited by Donna

Interesting pen. The barrel seems to be older than mine, because of the step in the section but seems to be also acrylic material - probably made between 1940 and 1949. The CN nib seems also from this period. This could be a true "Danzig" pens. Probably one of the last.