Photo

Wahl-Eversharp Model Poll

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Wahl Eversharp Model Are you most interested in? (456 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Wahl Eversharp Model Are you most interested in?

1. Tempoint Pens (5 votes [0.70%])

Percentage of vote: 0.70%

2. BHR, RHR, MHR Pens (18 votes [2.52%])

Percentage of vote: 2.52%

3. All-Metal Pens (42 votes [5.87%])

Percentage of vote: 5.87%

4. Signature Pens (15 votes [2.10%])

Percentage of vote: 2.10%

5. Early Plastic Pens (6 votes [0.84%])

Percentage of vote: 0.84%

6. Gold Seal Flat Top Pens (61 votes [8.53%])

Percentage of vote: 8.53%

7. Equi-poised Pens (24 votes [3.36%])

Percentage of vote: 3.36%

8. Voted Doric Pens (145 votes [20.28%])

Percentage of vote: 20.28%

9. Bantam Pens (11 votes [1.54%])

Percentage of vote: 1.54%

10. Coronet Pens (34 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

11. Pacemaker Pens (2 votes [0.28%])

Percentage of vote: 0.28%

12. Skyline Pens (193 votes [26.99%])

Percentage of vote: 26.99%

13. Fifth Avenue Pens (20 votes [2.80%])

Percentage of vote: 2.80%

14. Symphoony Pens (37 votes [5.17%])

Percentage of vote: 5.17%

15. Ventura Pens (5 votes [0.70%])

Percentage of vote: 0.70%

16. Desk Pen Sets (13 votes [1.82%])

Percentage of vote: 1.82%

17. Nibs (29 votes [4.06%])

Percentage of vote: 4.06%

18. Wahl History (25 votes [3.50%])

Percentage of vote: 3.50%

19. Other (9 votes [1.26%])

Percentage of vote: 1.26%

20. Wahl-Oxford (12 votes [1.68%])

Percentage of vote: 1.68%

21. The new Skyline models (1993 to present) (9 votes [1.26%])

Percentage of vote: 1.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Dlpens

Dlpens

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:05

As many people here already know I have been collecting vintage pens for over 40 years and I made my first big purchases in 1967 by accident. In the group I purchased was a Wahl Rosewood deco band in fantastic condition. From then on I continued accumulating many pens and probably have owned over 300 Wahl pens. Years ago I traded away all of my metal Wahls as they were my least favorite pens. The man I traded them to gave me all of his Wahl parts which were considerable and have enabled me to put together any number of Wahl pens over the years.

To this date my favorite Wahls are the Dorics followed by the "golden agers" - the gold seal models from the late 20's to the mid 30's. I love the Equi-Poised models and collected the complete set of Coronets. My interest more of less stops completely after the early years of the Skylines.

In the last 10 or so years I have concentrated on desk sets so my Wahl desk sets are particularly a strong suit. I still cannot resist a fine desk set but I can resist the pens. I write with Doric desk pens in the office and carry adjustable nibed pens almost every day.

Oh, I was able to find so many Wahls as I grew up only about 2 miles from the factory. On a typical weekend of looking for pens I would almost always find Wahls to add to the collection and in those days, many of us collected every model we could find, no matter the size or color. We tried to fill every gap in the models we were most fond of so having 36 red hard rubber models on display at one time was no big deal to me. Long live the Wahl Eversharp products!!! Don Lavin, co-organzer of the oldest pen show, the Chicago Pen Show, now entering its 30th year in 2010.

#32 freehand

freehand

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:00

The Skyline is iconic: nothing else like it.

I missed a poll listing for the Oxford model, which might be included in terms I don't recognise. But Wahl Oxford pens are seen on auction sites frequently, and they offer a chance for the shoestring collector to restore a Wahl pen to excellent writing condition.

Edited by freehand, 05 February 2010 - 03:01.

#33 dinomium

dinomium

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2010 - 20:37

I found this Skyline in an 'Antique' mall the other day. As I stated in another thread, I am a complete n00b when it comes to selecting vintage pens, so I just select them based on looks and pricepoint. This Eversharp was very tarnished, but I liked the design as I am a fan of all things Art Deco and the price was very low, so I bought it. The pen shined up fairly, the cap is loose, but it does write!

Attached Images

• Skyline.jpg

#34 coyotewhisper

coyotewhisper

What do you mean you don't have an Esterbrook!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2010 - 18:12

I am a collector have serval Eversharps, have no idea what models I have a white one with a chrome wrap around the cap, the nib is somewhat recessed and very narrow. It does share a Parker logo also. Any ideas? I like to learn more about pens and the ones I am collecting.
God is my Strength.
Brad Posted ImagePosted Image

#35 Easily Amused

Easily Amused

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 20:26

I voted the Doric, because most of my collection centers around faceted pens. I have one 2nd-generation Doric, must add more in the future...

#36 Corvus77

Corvus77

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:02

Please tell your moderator what information you would like to see on the Wahl-Eversharp Forum. Vote for the items you most want to see posts about. I have opened this poll to replies, so if you want something else listed, just tell me soI can tailor the topics to suit your particular interests.

Thanks for playing
Syd the Wahlnut

Like 72 others, I voted for the Skyline. I was tempted to say the Doric, but I can only admire them from afar since they appear to be a ways out of my price range. The Skyline I have been able to purchase. It has so much going for it for a newly interested person, like myself. About a jillion different configurations across three sizes; unique styling; writes well/nice nib. You can find other pens faceted like the Doric, but there isn't any thing that looks quite like the Skyline. I unfamiliar with some of the other models listed, so an "article" I think would be great would be a photo album showing a picture of each and listing the definitive or distinctive characteristics that set it apart from the others.

#37 Procyon

Procyon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 18:39

Well, I see I really am in the minority here. I always prefer flat top pens to "streamlined" ones. I think Sheaffer started this "streamlined" nonsense with their Balance pens. Parker followed with their streamlined Duofolds, Wahl with their equipoise models, and Waterman, never too quick to change, ignored the fashion for the most part.

I really hate the design of the Skyline. The cap looks too big, and sort of like an astronomical observatory, and the barrel is way too sharp and pointy looking. If the Sheaffer was named the "Balance", the Skyline should have been called the "Unbalance".
But that's just my personal opinion, and like most Wahl-Eversharps, it writes beautifully and always came with a great nib. The price is also attractive - maybe because I am not alone in my opinion of its appearance.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

#38 Have Fun

Have Fun

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 21:30

Well, I see I really am in the minority here. I always prefer flat top pens to "streamlined" ones. I think Sheaffer started this "streamlined" nonsense with their Balance pens. Parker followed with their streamlined Duofolds, Wahl with their equipoise models, and Waterman, never too quick to change, ignored the fashion for the most part.

I really hate the design of the Skyline. The cap looks too big, and sort of like an astronomical observatory, and the barrel is way too sharp and pointy looking. If the Sheaffer was named the "Balance", the Skyline should have been called the "Unbalance".
But that's just my personal opinion, and like most Wahl-Eversharps, it writes beautifully and always came with a great nib. The price is also attractive - maybe because I am not alone in my opinion of its appearance.

Try a bit of role play as a designer & set yourself in that period of history

Look at Other pens of that era & you will see a natural progression from one model to the next all sharing similar concepts. The Skyline design came from nowhere (little to no precedent for its design existed before) but the overall concept was part of its epoch & drew style from its era. Its design came from questioning & analysis of the problems with a huge dose of genius. Its a truly remarkable piece of design. Unique. Courageous.

So many designs now look like they were designed by committee, they have no soul.

In answer to the poll question

I'm interested in nearly all of them. I've only handled Oxfords & Skylines so far. My next quest is for Ventura & Symphony.

Edited by Have Fun, 07 September 2010 - 21:50.

#39 trevortjb7uk

trevortjb7uk

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 15:15

Hi.
Lots of interesting stuff about the well known Wahl Eversharp pens.
I am trying to find out about the era when Parker took over(1958-1960s)
Any info gratefully received.
Also anything about Mauric and other European Eversharps.
Thanks
Trevor

#40 endriu

endriu

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:06

Try a bit of role play as a designer & set yourself in that period of history

Look at Other pens of that era & you will see a natural progression from one model to the next all sharing similar concepts. The Skyline design came from nowhere (little to no precedent for its design existed before) but the overall concept was part of its epoch & drew style from its era. Its design came from questioning & analysis of the problems with a huge dose of genius. Its a truly remarkable piece of design. Unique. Courageous.

So many designs now look like they were designed by committee, they have no soul.

In answer to the poll question

I'm interested in nearly all of them. I've only handled Oxfords & Skylines so far. My next quest is for Ventura & Symphony.

AMAZING COMMENT!!!
HERE I AM A CRAZY DUDE ABOUT SKYLINES ACROSS THE OCEAN BUT SO IMPRESSED ABOUT THIS AMAZING DESIGN PEN
THE COMBINATION COLORS ARE SO MANY THAT MAKES ME WANNA STAY ALL DAY ON EBAY AND SEARCH FOR THE ULTIMATE ONE.......

LOOKING FORWARD TO READING ALL YOUR COMMENTS ON THESE INTERESTING ITEMS

MY VERY
BEST
ANDREA (MR..)

#41 penbeggar107

penbeggar107

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2011 - 23:14

I have discovered an old nos eversharp pencil called a slim jim. Model #23 DuBonnet. I am unable to make out exactly how it works...probably because I don't think it's all there...Any owners or wise men/women out there? Thank You, Michael

#42 jonveley

jonveley

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2011 - 15:12

I have discovered an old nos eversharp pencil called a slim jim. Model #23 DuBonnet. I am unable to make out exactly how it works...probably because I don't think it's all there...Any owners or wise men/women out there? Thank You, Michael

Can you post a picture of that? The "Slim Jim" model I'm familiar with is a Skyline-styled ballpoint. Maybe that's what it is?

#43 LedZepGirl

LedZepGirl

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 23:44

Lets see here... right now the Skyline is my favorite model, I own one and I love it. I also like Bantams and would sometime like to get a few more, right now I have a green marbled one. Someday I'm going to get my hands on a standard sized Doric, fingers crossed that I find one in the wild for cheap. I own one now, but it's one of the lower end pocket sized models and its cracked section makes it unusable unless you want inky fingers, I can't complain too much though because someone gave it to me.
I'd rather spend my money on pens instead of shoes and handbags.

>>> My Blog <<<

#44 sebastel23

sebastel23

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2013 - 13:15

how 'bout the new skyline?

#45 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

Collectors Item

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2013 - 18:11

how 'bout the new skyline?

Sure, why not. I'll add it.
Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein
Pensbury Manor
Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments
Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company
www.wahleversharp.com
New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

#46 Harlequin

Harlequin

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,791 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:50

EquiPoiseds (especially v4 side clip) and Dorics!

NNSbadge.png

#47 Penne Stilografiche

Penne Stilografiche

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,841 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 20:48

I love the skyline, I've even owned one made out of solid gold!
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

—Oscar Wilde

#48 riskmaker007

riskmaker007

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:55

I do have a skyline

#49 riskmaker007

riskmaker007

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:56

I heard all skylines are 14k gold is this true?

#50 haroldvincent

haroldvincent

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2013 - 21:37

I just received a vintage Skyline that I need to restore. I love the look of the Doric. The new product is gorgeous too. I'm going to have to save up for one. Thanks for reviving them, Syd!

#51 LukeSkyliner

LukeSkyliner

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2013 - 23:44

Despite my name and it's dubious "shut off" valve gimmick, I have to agree with Casca, when he tells Brutus: "'twas not a crown, neither; 'twas one of these Coronets"?

#52 ctt1wbw

ctt1wbw

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2014 - 17:15

I'm interested too.  Which is why I just bought a restored Gold Seal fountain pen.