Photo

Pen Ceremony Scene - A Beautiful Mind (2001)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 A1979

A1979

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2011 - 20:57

Pen Ceremony Scene

1 min 10 sec. --->

Let's try to win the Nobel prize... :puddle:

#2 Yuki Onitsura

Yuki Onitsura

I ink, therefore I am

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2011 - 00:49

Quite possibly the most compelling argument I've ever heard for going for a Nobel Prize. Professors are a peculiar bunch, aren't they?

Yuki
Posted Image
Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

#3 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

"You open one safe door and another one closes"

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2011 - 16:09

Wow that raises a few questions for me. Did anyone else find that as amazing as I did? Just what does the gesture of passing the pen mean? Does it actually occur? Oh and if so how do you apply for the position that gets all the pens! :thumbup:

Edited by Pen Nut, 06 September 2011 - 16:09.

My heart says English, my head says Japanese, my hand holds German (pens, cars or beer ?)

" I spend 95% of my income on pens..........the rest I just waste " 

#4 A1979

A1979

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2011 - 17:26

Wow that raises a few questions for me. Did anyone else find that as amazing as I did? Just what does the gesture of passing the pen mean? Does it actually occur? Oh and if so how do you apply for the position that gets all the pens! :thumbup:

In the movie A Beautiful Mind there is a scene in which faculty members present their pens to Nash. What is the origin of the pen ceremony? When did it start?

The scene in the movie A Beautiful Mind in which mathematics professors ritualistically present pens to Nash was completely fabricated in Hollywood. No such custom exists. What it symbolizes is that Nash was accepted and recognized in the mathematics community for his accomplishments. While some movies are based on books, the film A Beautiful Mind states that it was inspired by the life of John Nash. There are many discrepancies between the book and the film.

http://www.princeton...pics/nash.shtml

#5 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

"You open one safe door and another one closes"

• Member - Gold & Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2011 - 21:31

In the movie A Beautiful Mind there is a scene in which faculty members present their pens to Nash. What is the origin of the pen ceremony? When did it start?

The scene in the movie A Beautiful Mind in which mathematics professors ritualistically present pens to Nash was completely fabricated in Hollywood. No such custom exists. What it symbolizes is that Nash was accepted and recognized in the mathematics community for his accomplishments. While some movies are based on books, the film A Beautiful Mind states that it was inspired by the life of John Nash. There are many discrepancies between the book and the film.

http://www.princeton...pics/nash.shtml

Damn ! Sort of hoping this was a true ritual :( Ah well interesting clip either way

My heart says English, my head says Japanese, my hand holds German (pens, cars or beer ?)

" I spend 95% of my income on pens..........the rest I just waste " 

#6 Dutchpen

Dutchpen

Collectors Item

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 September 2011 - 18:41

Damn!, it never happens to me!
i only dream about a whole restaurant that gives me their pens.

Lennard
Do you need modern pen parts? Please contact me.

#7 kaisede

kaisede

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 23:36

I met Nash in 2005 at Stony Brook pre-game theory conference reception.
Before I spoke to him my economics professor told me not to mention to him about the movie because that is "NOT" John Nash.

I followed her advice and had a very brief conversation with him.
Meeting him and Robert Aumann was the highlight of my Sr year in college.

Andy