San Francisco Penmanship Contest ~ For An Amazing Prize!

pb2

Great entries so far, I wonder what criteria do the judges use to decide...

Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the universe! Albert Einstein

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smk

• pb2

• andybiotic

• fuchsiaprincess

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb345/Andybiotics/Writing%20Samples/FaceCalligram5ComparisonBright.jpg

This is probably my last entry unless I could come up with any more idea(s)... :hmm1:

It is quite strange that no one has yet to comment on this piece... Is it just me who think this is absolutely amazing??? I think it is rendered so beautifully that every single word was used (no repeats) to complete the face. The planning and drafting must be a nightmare!!

I love the creativity and admire the skill involved as well, I've heard of drawing a picture with words but I haven't see many, if not any, done as a portrait of a person. To draw a complex structure like a face with words is totally another matter (and that he is faced away on a slight angle just adds another level of difficulty). I can't even sketch a portrait properly with just lines and shades with a pencil!

It looks sooooo realistic and exactly like the image of Saint Francis! Absolutely beautiful.

I know you said this is your last entry but I genuinely hope you can enter more, love your every other entries as well! Its a joy to see your works

Edited by Pennilessness

Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the universe! Albert Einstein

Hey, making another attempt at the contest. The entries by everyone so far are amazing! Everyone's so creative!

well, here goes...

For the French "Original" Text, I used Monteverde's Walt Disney Fantasia; with Iroshizuku Yama-Budo(produced by Pilot). And For the English text(in my favourite, Gothic Script), A Sheaffer Calligraphy Pen(was a gift, so not sure about the specifics); with Sheaffer blue catridge ink.

I wanted the two texts to stand out with each other, so I watered down the Iroshizuku(the puple coloured one), which was relatively dark. And went over it with the Sheaffer ink, which in itself was pretty balanced in colour.

post-73603-0-11825600-1318054411.jpg

Edited by Est Niloc

Salman, that is just fantastic! I love the pencil shading and the muted lettering - which I assume is done with the Walnut ink; all that added to your beautiful calligraphy and combined with the structure of this piece is just truly amazing! Thanks for sharing your talent with the rest of us! DAVID

Thanks David. You're right, the lighter lettering is done with Walnut ink. The scan has shifted the colors a bit giving the whole thing a pinkish glow. I would've liked the Walnut ink part to be a bit darker to better tie in the black Uncial inner circle and the outer ring. Thanks for the comment.

This is an accomplished, well-thought-out and well-balanced design with most attractive lettering. The overall effect is understated and tasteful. You have a steady hand, Salman.

Ken

Ken, you have made my day! It is an amazing feeling when an expert says something like this about your work, and its doubly so when the expert is someone you respect and whose work you admire as much as I do yours. Thank you so much for the comment.

Hi Salman,

I was wondering when you were going to get an entry in. It is absolutely (divinely!) beautiful!!!

Did you write the italic with the Mitchell nib, followed by hairlines using the Brause nib?

The shading adds to the professionalism of the entire piece.

Well done :clap1: :notworthy1:

Warm regards,

Soki

Thanks a bundle Soki. It took a while for me to get going on this challenge. It wasn't easy for me to compose in a well balanced manner. I wanted the words to flow freely and still be balanced like some others (Andybiotic in particular) have done but ended up putting them in a defined structure. I think I'll do another circular rendering which is a bit looser.

I neglected to mention that I did the decoration and the hairline loops with a Leonardt Principal EF nib. The small straight hairlines were done with the Mitchel No. 1-1/2 that I wrote the outermost words with - it was also used to write 'Lord'. The black Uncials ring was done with a Brause 1-1/2 mm nib, the narrow Italic with Mitchel No. 4 and the larger Uncials with Mitchel No. 2.

I'd like to add my praise for Salman's entry too. I was going to try for this one (even though I'm no calligrapher) but could not find a satisfactory way to render all the 'where there is-es'. You've accomplished that IMO.

Thanks a lot for your comment beak. I struggled with the multiple 'where there is-es' as well. I was worried that the line containing them might end up looking like a loop of 'where there is-es' that goes all the way round. I was lucky that the gaps and the shading helps break them up and help the eye flow towards the larger words.

Regards,

Salman

Edited by smk

Amazing talent is shown in all the entries. Some are high level professional ones, some very creative, some true Franciscan spirit. Congratulations to all, it's a pleasure to see the display or art.

This is probably my last entry unless I could come up with any more idea(s)... :hmm1:

It is quite strange that no one has yet to comment on this piece... Is it just me who think this is absolutely amazing??? I think it is rendered so beautifully that every single word was used (no repeats) to complete the face. The planning and drafting must be a nightmare!!

I agree. This is really well done. I think this composition got a good number of well deserved :thumbup: s when shown initially as an idea.

Beautifully done.

Salman

Edited by smk

Okay, here's my first (possibly only, we'll see what kind of time I have) submission. Keep in mind that I don't practice calligraphy, I just play with it once in a blue moon. I can tell it's been a while, but I thought that it would be fun to participate anyway. :D

First, the scanned image...

I like your composition. The black-over-red letters are really nice.

Salman

Hey, making another attempt at the contest. ...

Your rendition makes me think of singing in rounds, each coming in at a different time to lend depth, harmony and complexity. Great job!

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Salman,

Your entry is amazing! I hope you have time to work on your other ideas.

----------------------

Everyone,

I keep checking for new posts to this thread, sometimes several times a day. All the entries have given me ideas and most of all inspiration. When I see a new entry, I want to get out my calligraphy supplies and get to work.

Thanks a lot for your comment, Penilessness. I've got many positive comments on my draft which has now disappeared on the first page. Maybe you have missed it. Admittedly this new one should be much better (I hope) and is very different from the draft but I think I had my fair share of praises from before. :thumbup:

Yes, you are quite correct that the planning and drafting was a nightmare and I've gone through quite a few drafts before getting to this final one. It is the most difficult one I did thus far, more difficult than the roundel (the circular arrangement) and may be even harder than the dove! :bonk:

I am very glad you like it. As for more entries... I am still waiting for inspirations... :headsmack:

Cheers! :thumbup:

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb345/Andybiotics/Writing%20Samples/P1020494j-1reversedcolour.jpg

Well, here goes my entry.

I have to include three pictures so that you can see the whole piece.

Originally, I intended to use a smaller marker, but given the height of these floor planks, I have to opt for a bigger 'nib'.

The style is somehow half-uncial but I don't curve my 'l' here, and I modify some alphabets here and there along the way.

The photos were taken at night, so the lighting may not be perfect. -_-

The pen is Zig Illumigraph 15 mm wet-erasable marker.

The paper here is Scandinavian Naturals hardwood floor plank, if I'm not mistaken.

Updated: With the help from Beak to stitch the photos together, I reupload the piece in its full entirety. Thanks a lot! ;)

fpn_1318158252__st_francis_patch_a.jpg

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv263/verdiinpink/_MG_2580.jpg

Edited by verdiinpink

Well, here goes my entry.

I think that's brilliant.

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

The paper here is Scandinavian Naturals hardwood floor plank, if I'm not mistaken.

For those curious, this works out to roughly 11,460 g/m².

For those curious, this works out to roughly 11,460 g/m².

Well, all I could say is that it's wood-solid, but perhaps not suitable for calligraphers in terms of ergonomics, :lol:

Well, all I could say is that it's wood-solid, but perhaps not suitable for calligraphers in terms of ergonomics, :lol:

At least there's no bleed-through.

Figured the last one I made wasn't good at all, so after some word from my friend, I've re done it with different colours. Hope it has improved. So, here goes:

-The French "Original" text is written with a Sheaffer Medium Calligraphy nib, with diluted(with water) Waterman South Sea Blue ink.

-The English Text(in a Gothic script) is written with a Pilot 78G fountain pen, Broad stub nib, with J. Herbin Red Rose scented ink.

-Paper is the same Notebook paper I used in my last two entries. "Morning Glory D.I.Y Notebook paper. (Not exactly sure if it was just the cover that was D.I.Y, might just be notebook paper)", quoted from my first entry.

post-73603-0-04869300-1318228986.jpg

Edited by Est Niloc

It has been a while in the coming but finally here's my entry no. 1.

Pens: Mitchel & Brause dip pens

Inks: Quink Red (somewhat evaporated), Pelikan Black, Walnut ink, Pelikan Brilliant Brown

The shading is done with colored pencil.

I wasn't sure about the decoration in the middle so did one without it. I'm still not sure so I'll put in the one with all the elements.

I have a couple of other ideas; a less structured circular composition and one in a simple italic one. I'll upload them before the deadline (hopefully!)

Here goes:

fpn_1318022680__round-2-sm.jpg

Salman

wow. enough said