Repair A Lamy Safari Cap

rudrakabir

After maybe 7-8 years of my mother using a lamy safari, she gave it to me. Got me hooked and I started taking it to school.

After some time, the cap became pretty loose, thinking I could repair it, I opened the cap and repaired it. Here is what to do.

1.Take a small diameter chopstick,Drill bit or Screw driver and some tape.

2.Insert it inside the cap to where the screw head kind of thing is there and push, after a bit it should pop out.

3.You will have five pieces-The cross head top part that pops out

An O-ring

the clip attached to the body

And finally a rubber sleeve

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/dc6rWoQ4eU2vb4g4eEeIrg

4.The rubber sleeve is the part we want to change

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/l3FSrtaX7BJXhykoAjt1bg

5.Wrap a few layers of tape maybe 2-3 layers on the sleeve and insert it back inside.

6.You can now put everything back together

7.Enjoy your tighter pen.

P.S-If this works for you pls comment.

the whole album of photos.

https://picasaweb.google.com/rudrakabir/LamySafariCapRepair

P.P.s- Sorry i could not figure how to upload photos so have linked to them. :glare:

Edited by rudrakabir

Current ink:Noodlers polar black

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve01

• rudrakabir

• amolghode

• Raghunandan

Thanks for the instructions for fixing a loose Safari end cap, they were very useful. I tried used a black self vulcanising electrical tape around the black rubber sleeve but found that it made it too tight. It is trial and error to see how much tape is required to go around the rubber sleeve.

After reassembling everything, the sleeve is now somehow tighter and the cap doesnt fall off the pen anymore.

post-35847-0-28874000-1335675676.jpg

post-35847-0-37688600-1335675668.jpg

post-35847-0-28874000-1335675676.jpg

post-35847-0-38398900-1335675660.jpg

Edited by Steve01

Lamy Safari fine, Lamy Logo extra fine, Pilot Lucina fine

• 1 month later...

Hey, Thanks a lot. It really worked. Though I faced some issue. I changed the process little bit.

First I tried winding the tape but it was becoming too tight. So whenever I used to pull out the pen, it started pulling out the rubber cap.

So I unwound the tape. The rubber cap got enough tighter so that it could hold the pen.

It worked smoothly.

This pen I have been using for last 3 years and one gets attached to the fountain pen. When the issue came, I was really sad.

Thanks a lot for your tips.

• 1 year later...

Hey thanks for the tip, it was awesome. I had this problem for a while and dint know how to fix it.

I went to an extent to buy a new cap. Thanks again for this.

• 2 years later...

I have found that a platinum cartridge with the nipple pulled out can act as a means of pushing the inner cap up into the top without blocking the hole in the inner cap (ie: after wrapping it with some electrical tape) as opposed to using the grip of the pen to push against the clutch trim (where as the platinum cartridge edges the very top of the inner cap).

• 1 month later...

Weellll, I tried to fix my wife's Safary and it is different!!!

The top part unscrews, and revealed a "cowl" similar to the one you mentioned.

This piece of plastic is crumbling :(

post-13101-0-37079400-1452291385_thumb.jpg

post-13101-0-80368900-1452291398_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

I just did minor surgery on my Safari and found it is like the one pictured in the first post. However, instead of using something to push through the 'cross' cap to free the parts, I used a disposable Bic pen (tail end, not ball end) to push up through the rubber sleeve and push the cross cap and rubber seal out. Then pushing the sleeve back out was simple enough.

After wrapping a layer or two of tape on the rubber sleeve I placed it on the pen and simply reinserted it into the cap, keeping it in place and pushing the cross cap back down until it was seated.

Nice and tight now :D

• 5 years later...

I've had my Safari since probably 2013 or earlier, and was having the same problem. I tried the tape method, but it wasn't working for me. To be honest I didn't play around with the amount of tape too much. I ended up taking that rubber sleeve and just snipping it in half. Then I put it back in and snapped the top piece back on. Now the cap tightens against the body of the pen instead of clicking in place, but it's nice and snug. We'll see if the cap holds up or if it starts to crack after a while, but I'll get a bit more use out of the pen at least. Thought I'd share an alternative way to rescue a pen that might otherwise get thrown out.