Best Drawing Inks? (Sorry If This Is A Repeat)

Iwao

Hello all!

Another noob with another question. I'm an art student (don't want to say artist until I'm actually a professional) and have really gotten into drawing with fountain pens. But I'm come to a bit of a problem; I'm not sure which inks are better for drawing than others. I tend to prefer Noodler's inks (I really like the bottles, even if they are just stock bottles or whatever), though I'd love to try other brands as well.

I only have two full bottles right now, Noodler's Heart of Darkness and Navajo Turquoise, and I don't really think either of them suits me for drawing. Heart of Darkness is a very nice black and dries super fast, but for some reason my bottle of ink seems to bleed though everything, even Rhodia Webbies and Clairefontaine papers (I got it from Amazon and had quite a few issues with it from them, as detailed in my blog). For the Navajo Turquoise, I love the color and it behaves well on all my papers, but the dry time is extra extra slow. Even when I use blotting paper to pick up the wet spots, it seems like I still can't close the book or touch the heavy lines for several minutes.

I'm hoping all of these are actually just me being a silly noob, but none the less, I'd love to hear any advice other people have! If possible, I'd like the inks to have a few attributes:

1. Fast Dry. Doesn't have to be instant like the Bernanke inks supposedly are, but at least dry at the wet spots within a minutes

2. PH Neutral or Lightfast. Either/or, doesn't really matter to me.

3. If black, I'd like it be be waterproof or at least very water resistant. For colors, it doesn't matter to me so much.

Sorry if I'm being a noob, and sorry if this question gets asked a billion times. I did a search but couldn't find anything, and I don't know if I can read though all the ink reviews and not get everything jumbled in my head. Thanks for the help!

Pleasure to meet you, hope to talk to you more!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Iwao

• professionaldilettante

• pmsalty

• inquisicorp

You my friend, need 2 things. First would be better paper. I find the HoD doesn't bleed if I get semi decent printer paper. Even when I get bottom of the stack 2$ a ream paper of dubious branding, it's not terribly feathery, so I really think paper has to do something with it. Second, I would advise you to check out Sailor's Kiwa Guro, or Nano Carbon ink. Sure, it's a tad pricy as ink goes, but it goes on smooth, dries fast, and waterproof, fadeproof, and I think, archival quality. It is as black as they come, and some people have said it's looks like laser toner on paper, because of its sheen. I would have used it as my daily ink, had it not been for the price.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

You my friend, need 2 things. First would be better paper. I find the HoD doesn't bleed if I get semi decent printer paper.

I use Rhodia journals and Clairefontaine paper, I thought those were some of the better papers? :0

You could try just Bulletproof Black - the 'not so ordinary - "ordinary" ' Noodler's black.

I keep hearing that it's better behaved compared to HOD, which I actually own, at the expense of 'blackness' (though, only a bit).

Just for reference, what sort of pen/nib are you using for your work?

You my friend, need 2 things. First would be better paper. . . . . Second, I would advise you to check out Sailor's Kiwa Guro, or Nano Carbon ink. Sure, it's a tad pricy as ink goes, but it goes on smooth, dries fast, and waterproof, fadeproof, and I think, archival quality. It is as black as they come, and some people have said it's looks like laser toner on paper, because of its sheen. I would have used it as my daily ink, had it not been for the price.

I agree with both of these suggestions. For paper, I wholeheartedly recommend the Stillman & Birn journals. The ivory paper in the "Gamma" and "Delta" series is particularly lush. No feathering at all, not with any ink I have tried. You can get them at Utrecht, among other places. Prices vary a lot, so surf for the best prices.

For ink, try Platinum Carbon Ink in black. It's possibly the final word on the concept of "black ink".

Or, if you'd like to make your line a bit more subtle, try Noodler's Lexington Grey. It's a very nice sketching ink. "Bulletproof" too. If you have some extra dough lying around, you can also try Iroshizuku Kiri-same. Lexington Grey is slightly more neutral. The Kiri-same is just a tiny smidgen warmer.

Jan

EDIT: Here is a list that might be of help: Complete List of Waterproof Inks.

Edited by inquisicorp

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Travel Sketchbooking

Observe Closely

I use a moleskine sketch book. In it I use Swishmix (Noodler's) Midnight Black, and Waterman's Havana Brown. I do not have any issues with feathering, sometimes some bleed-through. But I do not sketch on both sides of the paper anyway.

PMS

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

Aurora Black is my favorite. It isn't totally waterproof but it is water resistant. I prefer it that way as I can put my waterbrush to work and get some nice effects that a waterproof ink wouldn't allow. It does try fairly fast too.

You could also use any old ink you like and work with some Copic markers over top. I use Waterman inks this way but beware, they completely dissolve in the presence of water.

I've had really good results with the Platinum Carbon ink, though it will feather a bit on cheap paper. I really like Diamine Registrar's ink or Lamy BlueBlack (The iron galls) under a watercolour wash - they have a nice look to them. You also might want to look up a Pentel Pocket Brush - the ink is waterproof, and the brush tip lasts. I've abused mine for quite some time, and it still springs. I've got a big bottle of J. Herbin Perle Noire for when I'm not painting over top - and it behaves pretty good wherever I put it. Private Reserve makes an "Invincible" black - but the moment you touch it with an eraser, the ink comes off the paper, and I have had some serious problems with it's behaviour in pens - when your ink makes Rapidograph quick dry india ink seem bland and well behaved, you have a problem. Diamine Chocolate Brown is also fun for drawing. Works really good with pencil crayons.

That said, I can't use some inks (Noodlers has been a Bad Trigger for this for me in the past - the ink seems really awesome, but breathing is kinda something I need to do if I want to draw, soooo....) because of chemical sensitivities, so you'll have a bigger pool to draw from.

Try a few different inks to see what you like. I really think a sampler pack of trial inks might be a good thing. Also, Strathmore makes sketch paper that is Really Fountain pen friendly. Their recycled sketch pads behave really nice, and are good on a budget. Despite how many people who draw here seem to really like F nibs, I have a TWSBI with a B nib (affectionately known as the Hose) that I love drawing with, and works really good on cold press watercolour paper.

(examples:

platinum carbon with watercolour: Goose of Memory

B Nib and Blue-Black: Cards Unsent 4

B Nib and Lie de The: Cards unsent 3 )

Good luck, and share your results.

Platinum Carbon Black. Waterproof--very black. Just do not leave in an unused pen for more then a few days and flush your pen often.

What pens are you using?

www.stevelightart.com

You can try diluting your ink with water to reduce drying time. But this may cause increased feathering, bleed-through and less lubrication. Start with 1:10 water:ink or even less water and keep adding water slowly until you get a satisfactory drying time. It's a tradeoff between drying time, colour, feathering, etc, so you may need to experiment a little with the mix.

snowbringer, your drawings are gorgeous!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I use Noodler's Bulletproof Black and Lexington Grey either in a Moleskine watercolour book and on 110gsm cartridge paper. No problems with feathering or bleeding on either (Sailor Medium Fine nib). These inks take a little longer to dry on the Moleskine, which I don't mind because it gives me time to drag out some colour with a water brush if I want to. Or, once dry I can put a watercolour wash over them without any problems.

I'm also planning to try a couple of Herbin's non waterproof inks in a water brush as washes.

You my friend, need 2 things. First would be better paper. I find the HoD doesn't bleed if I get semi decent printer paper.

I use Rhodia journals and Clairefontaine paper, I thought those were some of the better papers? :0

REALLLY???? I have used that combination with no issues. Must be the ink gods? :hmm1:

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

Noodler's Bulletproof Black and Lexington Gray are the best combo for me. I keep one pen filled with a Lexington Gray wash too for shading.

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

You could try just Bulletproof Black - the 'not so ordinary - "ordinary" ' Noodler's black.

I keep hearing that it's better behaved compared to HOD, which I actually own, at the expense of 'blackness' (though, only a bit).

Just for reference, what sort of pen/nib are you using for your work?

Maybe I'll grab a bottle of that next time I put together an order :) And I use 03 Preppies, an EF Safari, and a Noodler's Piston Fill.

REALLLY???? I have used that combination with no issues. Must be the ink gods? :hmm1:

Yeah, I've been told by some retailers that it's strange what I'm experiencing. Though I do have to admit, part of me suspects that my bottle of HoD was somehow tainted (I don't know if it's possible to taint ink with heat and such) by the Amazon seller. I never really bothered to make a big deal about it. Also, I'm wondering if I'm having unfair expectations of my ink? I'm so new to this, I probably am making a dumb mistake :(

I've had really good results with the Platinum Carbon ink, though it will feather a bit on cheap paper. I really like Diamine Registrar's ink or Lamy BlueBlack (The iron galls) under a watercolour wash - they have a nice look to them. You also might want to look up a Pentel Pocket Brush - the ink is waterproof, and the brush tip lasts. I've abused mine for quite some time, and it still springs. I've got a big bottle of J. Herbin Perle Noire for when I'm not painting over top - and it behaves pretty good wherever I put it. Private Reserve makes an "Invincible" black - but the moment you touch it with an eraser, the ink comes off the paper, and I have had some serious problems with it's behaviour in pens - when your ink makes Rapidograph quick dry india ink seem bland and well behaved, you have a problem. Diamine Chocolate Brown is also fun for drawing. Works really good with pencil crayons.

That said, I can't use some inks (Noodlers has been a Bad Trigger for this for me in the past - the ink seems really awesome, but breathing is kinda something I need to do if I want to draw, soooo....) because of chemical sensitivities, so you'll have a bigger pool to draw from.

Try a few different inks to see what you like. I really think a sampler pack of trial inks might be a good thing. Also, Strathmore makes sketch paper that is Really Fountain pen friendly. Their recycled sketch pads behave really nice, and are good on a budget. Despite how many people who draw here seem to really like F nibs, I have a TWSBI with a B nib (affectionately known as the Hose) that I love drawing with, and works really good on cold press watercolour paper.

(examples:

platinum carbon with watercolour: Goose of Memory

B Nib and Blue-Black: Cards Unsent 4

B Nib and Lie de The: Cards unsent 3 )

Good luck, and share your results.

Thanks for the advice! And you have amazing skills! :0

• 3 years later...

I sometimes use inks because they are NOT waterproof and then I moisten the outlines and I get a wonderful watercolor-like LOOK on the drawings. Some Diamine inks serve this purpose. Also the blue (have not tried any other) cartidges from Lamy.

Edited by Lamyrada

• 2 years later...

I sometimes use inks because they are NOT waterproof and then I moisten the outlines and I get a wonderful watercolor-like LOOK on the drawings. Some Diamine inks serve this purpose. Also the blue (have not tried any other) cartidges from Lamy.

I know this is an old post but hoping for a reply; I was looking specifically for inks that I can use for drawing and use some water after drawing to give some shadow-like effect (black) or simply use water on other colored inks. An earlier post suggested Iroshizuku which I find very wet already: isn't it too wet to use water on the drawing afterwards?

The other question is about "permanence of ink": If I want my drawings to last, which inks should I use, or will all kind of fade over time?

Check out the ink comparison threads and specifically the fade tests and fade olympics. I think you will find some answers.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY