What Handwriting Did You Learn In School?

Nimmireth

I first learned Russian cursive:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/17/Russian_Cursive_Cyrillic.svg/470px-Russian_Cursive_Cyrillic.svg.png

together with German "lateinische Ausgangsschrift", the same as Chevalier few messages later.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/a/a5/La-ges.jpg

I still write with something very close to that German maybe with some letters closer to Zaner-Bloser script (r, M, N)

Hooded nibs are the best

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nimmireth

• Dolganoff

• oneill

• amberleadavis

For me the discovery of writing was in 1968, in France.

It was supposed to look like the "French Cursive" font that is presented there:

http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~beffara/soft/frcursive/

As a computer font, it looks a bit artificial, but it is exactly the style of handwriting that I was taught, and still is as far as I know. The difference is that in my days, and for the first 2 years of school, only the dip pen was allowed. The pen was always a steel Sergent Major pen. I remember finding it difficult to use, and dreaming of the day I would be allowed to use a ballpoint, immune to ink blots.

You are right, my son was learning exactly the same cursive in french school couple of years ago, with ballpoint, but this year they're switching to fountain pens.

Hooded nibs are the best

We never attached a name to the handwriting style...we still don't. Now that I know some thing about the styles, I think we were taught what caliken has mentioned. Some sort of copperplate, using dip nibs and at a bit upright slant angle. The leading and trailing strokes are not there. Sometimes, it is difficult for me to read (fluently) hand written spencerian/palmer (basically American) cursive hand.

And of course we also learned to write Urdu. Urdu is written in Arabic/Persian alphabets, left to write. I remember using a left oblique dip nib, the Z nib, to write Urdu. Also in those days, sixties, kids would use things made of reeds to write Urdu on a wooden plaque. The plaque, known as 'Takhti' in Urdu, was first coated with clay, dried, written upon by reed dip pen, graded by the teacher, washed, recoated and... And yes, it was also a good self defense weapon against the bullies.

Interesting... Although I was taught Zaner-Bloser in the 1960's, my handwriting seems to have morphed over the years to closely resemble your SO method.

Is anyone else seeing that their adult handwriting has shifted to become a style other than what you learned as a child?

Dream in ink

Interesting... Although I was taught Zaner-Bloser in the 1960's, my handwriting seems to have morphed over the years to closely resemble your SO method.

Is anyone else seeing that their adult handwriting has shifted to become a style other than what you learned as a child?

Definitely, unless I make and effort to do so, I can walk away from say- my lab notes for a few minutes, come back, and my handwriting will look quite different! Hm, perhaps it is more correct to say that I don't seem to have a very defined style of handwriting.

You know, I don't know what it was that I learned. It was quite similar to the Simplified Zaner-Bloser that so many of the Americans have listed, but as I recall the capital "Q" was significantly different (and I can no longer recall how it was formed). I went to grade school in the early 70's in Westchest County outside New York City. Anyone have any idea what it was that was most likely being taught at that point?

"If you show us a drunk blonde chick in her underwear, she has to die. That's just how we roll." - I wish I knew who to attribute that to. T'weren't me.

http://rookery9.aviary.com.s3.amazonaws.com/9375500/9375534_752b.png

Ain't great, but it's the best I've got. So far.

I learned D'Nealian in grade school, but when I took French in high school, I learned French cursive script.

"No one can be a great thinker who does not recognize that as a thinker it is his first duty to follow his intellect to whatever conclusions it may lead. Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study, and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think." -J.S. Mill, On Liberty

When I started attending school in the late 60s (I graduated from high school in 1981) the cursive writing style that was taught was the Zaner-Bloser method, I believe. It was, of course, tacked along the top of the blackboard in every classroom, and we spent about an hour's time per week practicing our cursive in the 6th grade.

Over the years, the upper-case letters I use are all slightly different from the method I was taught; the lower-case letters mostly remain the same, however. I started improving my handwriting and using different handwriting styles (Palmer, Spencerian, etc.) back in high school when I was given a Sheaffer No Nonsense calligraphy set and also took a calligraphy course using a Speedball dip pen and india ink.

D'nealian for me, when I started kindergarten in 1988. Before that it was Zaner-Bloser simplified, as my mother had learned.

I would say that it was lucky the two scripts are fairly similar, but my handwriting back then was never good enough to show the difference between the two!

Ohh, D'nealian. My brother learned that despite being only five years ahead of me in school. I learned Zaner-Bloser (I think).

My parents had learned the Palmer method. I would gladly take ZB over D'nealian any day of the week.

Sometimes I write things (as of 2013

http://katesplace7.wordpress.com/

I was taught a very similar style to the OP's. However, I never liked it due to its simplicity and thus refused to use it even when I was told to in school.

Not sure what the "system" was.

They were finally allowing lefties to write naturally without forcing them to switch over when I came along.

I remember my teacher in Grade 4 yelling at me that I was dragging my hand through my writing.

Yes, that's what we do unless we adapt by over-or-under writing...

I can't remember there ever being a name for writing other than cursive or block.

True for me as well. I only recently identified the "cursive" I was taught as Zaner-Bloser due to several threads here at FPN.

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

A couple of years ago I went through "Write Now" and completely changed my writing, now I'm trying to unlearn a great deal of it.

I never liked the M and N in Zaner-Bloser. I much prefer the italic style. I could never make that top loop look graceful. Since my usernames and real first name start with either Ms or Ns I just couldn't stand using it. That's why I like the Deutsche Normalschrift so much. I finally figured out how to attach an example.

Palmer method, taught by Dominican nuns with sharp edged rulers to assist in correcting one's penmanship.

Inked and ready to write: Montegrappa Espressione, an Aurora, a Waterman Phileas, a Rotring 600, a Pelikan 205 and a Pelikan highlighter, a couple of Lamy Safaris, Al-Star, and Studio, and a couple of Levengers.

Tantum malorum religio suadere potuit.