Twsbi Update 2011/08/05

speedy

If I had to pick a weak point, I would say that the balance is a bit off when posted. But, I'm willing to use it unposted. :)

From everything I've heard, the 540 is NOT supposed to be used posted. It was designed to balance un-posted.

Montblanc Blue-Black please; shaken, not stirred.

I believe the sun will rise tomorrow and I believe the stars will shine at night. Now, ask me what I know.

Fear not, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:9 NIV)

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ExcaliburZ

• speedy

• JonB55198

• Jimmy James

Yeah, maybe I should have bought two. But I'll just have to deal with one for now :) Maybe I'll pick up a second one when I order the 1.1 nib when that is ready in the TWSBI store. :)

I just looked in the TWSBI store on the bay and can't find the 1.1 ..... where did you see it??

TWSBI doesn't sell them yet. But, there is a temporary solution. SamCapote links to a site above where you can get the nibs for $40. But, as for me, I'm just going to wait until the TWSBI store has them. I'm not in a rush. :)

According to earlier posts the TWSBI italic nibs will have plain steel tips, without iridium; whereas, the Franklin-Christoph italic and stub nibs are iridium tipped. So if that matters to you, the Franklin-Christoph nib might be a better option. Or you could get a TWSBI B nib and have it custom ground.

Yeah, maybe I should have bought two. But I'll just have to deal with one for now :) Maybe I'll pick up a second one when I order the 1.1 nib when that is ready in the TWSBI store. :)

I just looked in the TWSBI store on the bay and can't find the 1.1 ..... where did you see it??

TWSBI doesn't sell them yet. But, there is a temporary solution. SamCapote links to a site above where you can get the nibs for $40. But, as for me, I'm just going to wait until the TWSBI store has them. I'm not in a rush. :)

According to earlier posts the TWSBI italic nibs will have plain steel tips, without iridium; whereas, the Franklin-Christoph italic and stub nibs are iridium tipped. So if that matters to you, the Franklin-Christoph nib might be a better option. Or you could get a TWSBI B nib and have it custom ground.

Ah! That is an important observations that I overlooked. I think the FC route may be the way to go. Getting a B nib reground may not yield a 1.1mm stroke. But, I'm not sure. 1.1 seems a little wide to come out of a B nib. BUT, I have a B nib sheaffer that lays down a line that wide. Which is odd because the progression from Sheaffer F to M to B is not linear at all. The jump from M to B is HUGE.

Edited by JonB55198

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

Thanks, SanCapote, for the link to Franklin-Christoph nibs! As I read on the site, those italics and stubs are ground by Michael Masuyama (Mike-It-Work), so they should be awesome nibs.

In my opinion, there are huge differences between italic (or stub) un-tipped and tipped. The most obvious is that tipped nibs lasts decades as new or with very little differences; un-tipped nibs, only 6 months or one year, depending on the daily use. It'll be very, very rounded, smoothed, of course, but will lose its line variation. I used a Lamy 1.5mm italic, which is untipped, last year, amost every day. So, it's absolutely rounded, deformed now.

I'm wondering why Speedy chose to go with the untipped 1.1. I would buy the 1.1 from the Franklin Christoph site, but the nib would not have the cool TWSBI logo on it. :unsure:

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

I'm wondering why Speedy chose to go with the untipped 1.1. I would buy the 1.1 from the Franklin Christoph site, but the nib would not have the cool TWSBI logo on it. :unsure:

That's an easy answer: $$$

If you think this FC nib is unattractive, in exchange for the iridium and a custom grinding, then by all means wait for the cheap version from Speedy. (thumbnail)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Inks/stubs.jpg

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

That's an easy answer: $$$

If you think this FC nib is unattractive, in exchange for the iridium and a custom grinding, then by all means wait for the cheap version from Speedy. (thumbnail)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Inks/stubs.jpg

It does look attractive and I am tempted to get it. haha

• 1 month later...

It does look attractive and I am tempted to get it. haha

I added comparisons as a new thread here.

Sam, I can't see the new thread for some reason. It just links back to this thread... ???

Jon, I'm looking at my PayPal receipt from 12/2010 and I got two that were each $40:

Model 14 Steel Specialty Nib (& feed--you don't use their section) Italic Medium 9mm & Stub 1.1mm are in the middle on that link which are a perfect fit for TWSBI

I'm getting really close to thinking of pulling the trigger on this one and just getting the FC nib. Do you know if the TWSBI 1.1 will be a stub or a cursive italic? I'd prefer CI, so if TWSBI will only offer a stub, I'll probably just go with the FC Cursive Italic nib.

I wonder when could we expect a 540 in smoke black and a Micarta pen.

Does anyone know when the Vacs are coming out. I'm looking forward to them!

Tomorrow at FPGeeks we're going to be doing a post discussing release dates for the colored 540's, the Micarta, the Mini Diamonds, and the Vac 700. Very exciting stuff.

Jon, I'm looking at my PayPal receipt from 12/2010 and I got two that were each $40:

Model 14 Steel Specialty Nib (& feed--you don't use their section) Italic Medium 9mm & Stub 1.1mm are in the middle on that link which are a perfect fit for TWSBI

I'm getting really close to thinking of pulling the trigger on this one and just getting the FC nib. Do you know if the TWSBI 1.1 will be a stub or a cursive italic? I'd prefer CI, so if TWSBI will only offer a stub, I'll probably just go with the FC Cursive Italic nib.

I recall speedy describing them as italics, so I'm guessing they'll be CI's.

I recall speedy describing them as italics, so I'm guessing they'll be CI's.

That will make my decision more difficult. I guess I'll have to determine if I want tipped or untipped then...

• 1 month later...

As seen on Facebook :

all the modification and testing on twsbi's feeder and feeder housing are done, now we are starting the final assembly of complete pen. end of next week we will ship colored 540 to US from Taiwan, it will take about 10 days more after that

384086_307402869301834_117058861669570_839341_94507669_n.jpg

From the Facebook feed, the Twsbi Diamond 700 and color 540s should be available by the end of the month.

Awesome! I want the 700. Also when the 550 with aluminum piston comes out, I'm definitely selling my 540. :)