Why Do I Collect Pens

Koshy

Baseball cards, stamps, coins.....can't be used.

This and that form, material, color, filling system, maker, model and nib width and flex.

Some pens are historical, some beauties, some perfect balanced, some with perfect nibs. Something for every taste and pocketbook.

Then there is keeping up with the :vbg: friendly Jones here.

I tried to slow down my buying by concentrating on nibs I was missing.

After all all I need now is four of five more pens.

There is only five or six more nibs I need, that at least is true.

Then I can up grade my nibs .... with great old pens.....looking for the best nibs made....with a great pen.

I take that back about only needing 5 more pens....

Sell one; buy one, is the only way to go after one has fifty pens. Do not go, buy one; sell one, or one will have hundreds of pens.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Koshy

• ihtzazqamar

• inkstainedruth

• MercianScribe

I feel ya... and the long turnaround times for tusk retipping....

Hmmm...And all this time I thought I was the only one collecting elephants..!!! Had to give that up a while back. Found them a little hard to trade and shipping costs were killing me...

I'm a user, baby.

We love what we do not possess. Plato, probably about pens.

There are probably two basic types of "collectors": those who collect as an investment, and those who collect because they simply use, appreciate and enjoy what they collect. Hybrids and variations of the two exist as well.

To the extent one might call what I've accumulated a "collection", I've assembled a group of vintage writing instruments (fp's, bp's and mp's) that are visually attractive, mechanically interesting (particularly the Snorkels....) and are- or can be- used; at least that's how I see it. While the number of writing instruments I own far exceeds what I could ever use, it's a reasonable justification to have and to hold. On the other hand, a substantial number of pens have passed out of my hands as I've lost interest in them, or bought them to "educate" myself about a particular pen or mechanical style and, having done so, have no further need to keep the item. I keep what I use to whatever extent I use them and enjoy having around for whatever reason.

Collecting writing instruments is somewhat akin to collecting books. Back in the day when printed books mattered more, companies like The Franklin Mint and The Easton Press sold bonded leather bound copies of books like "The Good Earth" for $15 that one could buy in regular hardcover for $5 or in paperback for fifty cents. Same basic book, but different audiences.

I've never been much into the collector or investment book market, but I've got a lot of books. As with writing instruments, I keep the books I like. Some are books I've read many times and will on occasion pull off a shelf, flip open to a random page and pick up as if I'd been reading it from the beginning; others might only get picked up again when the interest is there. Over time, many have "left" the collection as interests change; however, there is a basic "core" that never seems to leave. Same with the writing instruments.

Edited by nxn96

I enjoy writing and I enjoy the tools that I use to write. There's no rational reason for collecting beyond the fact that I like pens.

I like the look and feel of a fountain pen, and I like the variety of my (small) collection.

Ever since I was a school going kid, I always had a fountain pen for my school work. When I was in grade (say) 6th to 10th, I used to stop by a place while returning home from school. There used to be about four small stalls who would sell cheap sunglasses and cheap pens. I knew all of the shop keepers (well they knew me). So every once in a while I would sit with them and actually make my fountain pen. My favorite used to be a nib call "K B Lucky". Favorite body used to be a silver "Captain" pen etc etc. Those ways of life are gone but the love for fountain pen remains. Why? I do not know. I do like old fashioned stuff. All of my lenses for my digital Nikon DSLR and vintage Nikkors made aroud 1970. I have to focus manually, meter manually. But the whole activity of photographing is very satisfying to me. I like music..old music. Any song newer than 1970 would be termed new by me. I convert my CD players and put a Tube stage in it and hence get more analogue sound that the metallic digital. I love my 1970 model VW Beatle. So, I tend to like old fashioned, durable, usable things. I love my wife too, you see.

I think that those who collect Pens have some special gene active. It would show in other areas too.

Love FPN

Regards

Ihtzaz

Ever since I was a school going kid, I always had a fountain pen for my school work. When I was in grade (say) 6th to 10th, I used to stop by a place while returning home from school. There used to be about four small stalls who would sell cheap sunglasses and cheap pens. I knew all of the shop keepers (well they knew me). So every once in a while I would sit with them and actually make my fountain pen. My favorite used to be a nib call "K B Lucky". Favorite body used to be a silver "Captain" pen etc etc. Those ways of life are gone but the love for fountain pen remains. Why? I do not know. I do like old fashioned stuff. All of my lenses for my digital Nikon DSLR and vintage Nikkors made aroud 1970. I have to focus manually, meter manually. But the whole activity of photographing is very satisfying to me. I like music..old music. Any song newer than 1970 would be termed new by me. I convert my CD players and put a Tube stage in it and hence get more analogue sound that the metallic digital. I love my 1970 model VW Beatle. So, I tend to like old fashioned, durable, usable things. I love my wife too, you see.

I think that those who collect Pens have some special gene active. It would show in other areas too.

Love FPN

Regards

Ihtzaz

Ohh I think you tapped something there at the end. I also really like my 1945's Gruen Pan american watch, and I seem drawn to the stereotypical lifestyle and business meeting of the era where business was done on a handshake over a fine scotch and cigar.

Freedom First, Condemn Conformity.

Must there be rationale to love?

Agreed.

I've never actually been asked why I collect MB. I know people who collect other things too, although they are things I'd never personally collect, I wouldn't ever ask them whey they do.

People love things and therefore want different examples of them.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Difficult to rationalise it - I collect because I enjoy the thrill of the chase, hunting down a particular model, then being able to use it as and when I want.

At the moment I am also kidding myself that I am buying new pens with a view to finding "the pen" and will then sell everything else...got a fair few pens to test before I get there though I think!

Edited by da vinci

Cheaper than cars and photography, less liquid than wine, more usable than stamps and coins.

Spot on! I actually look forward to writing with my fountain pens, which means I do more work more efficiently. :thumbup:

OMG! I am hopeless! I collect Fountain Pens and am a serious photographer. Though I collect wines and all alcoholic beverqages, I consume most of what I collect. My wife collects stamps. Is there any redeption for me?

I wear my Pen as others do their Sword.

John Oldham

In my experience, every pen writes a little differently. Each one has it's own character and design. They are small pieces of art that are not only beautiful, but also functional. It's perfectly normal for humans to enjoy objects which are beautiful, and the pen being both functional and small is a very practical way to accent your life with such beauty.

Hello Koshy,

A great thread, made me ponder, something I find I do more of as I age. I have always enjoyed a good story, be it oral or written, and I have been fortunate to encounter many of both as a history teacher of over 35 years. When I pick up a vintage pen it tells a story. It may be I have an overactive imagination, or am a hopeless romantic, or both, but these old writing instruments speak to me. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to know the provenance, sometimes my imagination just takes over. What letters did it write? What stories did it tell? Happy? Sad? Passionate love letters? Or was it a mundane workhorse of the business world? Often the condition and age help start my imagination going. I have a WWI vintage gold pencil that came with a small leather pocket notepad with a young soldier's picture in it. Did he write of the horrors of the front? Maybe he wrote of the small things that got him through the days. Other pens and pencils tell other stories, but enough, like most educators once you get us started we can't shut up! Think you for the interlude, John

Edited by John54green

People collect pens because they lack the ability to stick to one thing and master it.

Really? What if your "one thing" is collecting pens?

A proud member of the Pittsburgh Fountain Pen Club

Fall Down 7, Stand Up 8

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I don't collect pens, but if I ever come to own several of them is because of a sheer appreciation for the very different aesthetics of those pens I enjoy - if I really fancy a pen that´s apparently so different from the others I may own, it seems reasonable enouth to by it (being something for a practical use) - like a jacket or someting alike, you don´t use always the same and nobody questions that, quite the oposite really.

(just what does not seem reasonable to me is the price of them, that always looks like the double or triple of their real value :gaah: )

WWW.nelsonsousaphoto.com

Because I apparently am an intelligent perfectionist who likes putting stuff in order so getting pens and ordering them by colour, nib, nibwidth, ink, etc over and over again makes me feel good yet unsatisfied because I need more pens.

>8[ This is a grumpy. Get it? Grumpy smiley? Huehue >8[

I tend to ramble and write wallotexts. I do that.

I don't collect pens even though I have around 60, mostly pretty expensive and high quality pens. I still don't collect them.

I like using fountain pens and I like the look and feel of many different ones, so I treat myself to a new one from time to time.

I see a collector as someone who generally, consciously sets out, or decides at some time, to form a collection of something and buys for that reason. These are people who might otherwise collect stamps, baseball cards, pottery or whatever and the collecting is a big part of the 'hobby'. Also, I imagine most collectors would probably buy 'vintage' pens and appreciate their history etc. - I don't own vintage pens and rarely pay them much attention.

I should also add that I don't consider fountain pens a 'hobby'; just objects I love and use.

I buy because i like the look/feel or whatever of a pen and wish to own and use it.

Please visit my new pen and ink/pen box site at www.boxesandpens.co.uk

Hand made boxes to store and display your favourite pens.

10% discount for FPN members