The Classic Tripod Grip

troglokev

<br />What pen is that you're using in the photos? The nib with the cut-outs at the shoulder intrigues me.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

If I'm not mistaken, he's using a namiki/pilot falcon. It's a semi-flexible nib - hence the cutouts...

I kinda want one myself... :)

You must mean the falcon nib, which is not available on pens made for the US market. The Falcon pen doesn't have the cut outs.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• troglokev

• Mickey

• Skyclad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With this illustration in the RUBIO calligraphy notebooks, all spanish children of my generation learned to grip a pen :rolleyes:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2016/02sujeccion.jpg

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes?

Groucho Marx

Excellent. There is no way for that grip to develop a death grip, as I found the tripod pencil grip to usually do. Thanks! It's going to take me some time to relearn, but hey, that's the name of the game with fountain pens. If it were stagnant, I wouldn't find its allure.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

With this illustration in the RUBIO calligraphy notebooks, all spanish children of my generation learned to grip a pen :rolleyes:

I can't seem to hold my pen well in the correct position as show here because its too lax and the top half of the pen tends to move slightly in my hand as I write. But if I tighten my grip, then I end up like the incorrect position picture. :gaah:

I can't seem to hold my pen well in the correct position as show here because its too lax and the top half of the pen tends to move slightly in my hand as I write. But if I tighten my grip, then I end up like the incorrect position picture. :gaah:

then work it a little until the pen doesn't wiggle. i can apply a little more pressure with my thumb and that helps a lot, but I don't have problems with my pens moving.

Less downward pressure, perhaps.

The reason the pen is moving around is probably because you are unaccustomed to holding it firmly (but not tightly) or you are pressing too hard, probably both. When you press too hard, the friction between paper and nib can pull the pen around in your hand. The natural reaction is to squeeze back. If the nib glides on the paper; the pen won't try to move around in your hand.

Remember it's handwriting, not finger writing. Think about moving the hand (and arm) more and letting your fingers simply act as a prop to hold the pen in the correct position. Let the hand guide the pen, not the fingers.

Get used to holding the pen firmly, but with minimum pressure, while doing something else, like reading or watching TV. When you've got that feeling and the pen stays put, then try writing. It's like the golf grip: place your hands firmly where they are supposed to be, then don't squeeze, but don't go limp as a jellyfish, either.

Seriously, an introductory course in Tai Chi would probably help you find the correct sense of grip.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

It is possible that I am just holding the pen too lose being that I usually hold the pen with a pinch grip (Posicion Incorrecta). And most of my writing is done with my hand, except for lower case I's and E's, then its a combination of hand and fingers due to their size.

So now I have to learn how to write underhanded (will be getting my dip pen and flex nibs shortly) and with a lose grip. As of right now, a pinch grip is the only thing that keeps my lines steady and even when writing.

As of right now, a pinch grip is the only thing that keeps my lines steady and even when writing.

it could just be a matter of practice. retraining always takes a while, and will feel more awkward until it's been practiced into muscle memory.

post-69435-0-05015700-1312432082.jpg

From what I've seen from my friend who is naturally left-handed, but was forced to become right-handed, this appears to be a death grip...

post-69435-0-87811300-1312432085.jpg

This is my normal grip, although my thumb isn't usually THAT far forward, it's usually only just behind my first finger. This displays the grip only, my wrist isn't usually angled like that- I'm an underwriter.

For me, and not to get too visual, death grip appears almost like somebody trying to squeeze a pimple at the grip/section, and revolves very much around too much reliance on pressure between the forefinger and thumb to hold the pen in place, rather than the very balance of the pen holding itself between the fingers.

I'd need a picture to diagnose, but your pen should not be flopping around, if you're doing it correctly.

Going back to this:

fpn_1312072465__step_4.jpg

Your thumb needs to be within the triangle formed by the other three points of support (the fingers and the knuckle). If it's further down the pen than your fingertips, your thumb will lever the pen away from its resting point on your knuckle, and the grip is no longer stable.

The other alternative is that the pen is top-heavy: the balance point is on the wrong side of the knuckle. Take the thumb off the pen, and hold it like step 2:

fpn_1312072232__step_2.jpg

If the pen falls off the back of your hand, it's top-heavy. Try using it without the cap posted.

I use something similar to the tripod, but instead of resting on my middle finger, I rest on my fourth, and have the second and middle finger lightly on top. I've been told it's highly odd, but it seems to allow me to write much more quickly and requires less pressure on the pen to get the same amount of control. Does anyone else do this? And is there any particular reason I shouldn't?

post-49967-0-20774000-1312597433.jpg

I'd need a picture to diagnose, but your pen should not be flopping around, if you're doing it correctly.

This is my normal grip:

fpn_1312600388__my_grip1.jpg

And this is my tripod grip with just enough pressure so the top of the pen doesn't move when I write, or feel like its going to slip out:

fpn_1312600497__my_tripod_grip1.jpg

Edited by Skyclad

Others here don't like my way of doing things. That is not a problem with me. It took me two minutes to learn this 'system' a variation of the 'classic' tripod.

There are 'two variations', one for posted pens and one for un-posted pens. I call them forefinger up. My forefinger is much further 'up' the top of the pen as before.

I never had any problems with pressure after this.

First, move the pen down the middle finger joint a 1/4-1/3 of an inch, out of the dent or callus at the nail junction.

It stops hurting.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/SAM_0415.jpg

I hold my finger at 12:30 mostly, I can hold it at 12:00 or 13:00 if I wish. I hold my thumb at @9:30....does it make a difference...I don't know. I find it more 'Comfortable' there.

I used some sort of hard pressed 'wrong' Classic Tripod my whole life...over 55 years.

In two minutes, I learned an easier version, that had 'no pressure'.

Classic from the way I see it is held at 10 for the thumb and 2 for the forefinger.

I tend to hold at @ 9:30 and 12:30.

The first pictures show a posted pen...and I let the posted pen find it's own place in the web of my thumb. The first two show a brass back weighted piston pen sitting in the depth of the web of the thumb.

About @ 35 degrees.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/SAM_0419-1.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/SAM_0419.jpg

I let the weight of the pen find it's place when posted.

The difference between where a posted and unposted pen rests by Me, is that I move the thumb pad (nail end) from @ 1/3 into the first finger joint to @ even with the first finger crease.

That is the only difference.

You move the thumb pad up the pen as much as you feel comfortable with.

This is a lighter piston pen and rests on it's own accord higher in the web of the thumb. @ 40 degrees.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/SAM_0418.jpg

This is your basic behind the first knuckle 45 degree hold on a un-posted pen.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/SAM_0417.jpg

This picture is showing the 12:30 position from a slightly up position...the nib shows alignment.

I have not got the forefinger over at 11:30.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/SAM_0416.jpg

The important thing is to grasp the pen as lightly as if you were holding a baby featherless bird in your hand, and let the little pool of ink do the work.

I don't notice having to pressure a nib with forefinger up, and I use semi-flex and maxi-semi-flex/'flexi' nibs mostly.

I can if I wish, or not if I don't wish; add a touch of pressure to get a tad fancy, with a more flexible nib.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I've always naturally gravitated toward the tripod grip described, but then corrected by shifting my thumb down toward index and middle fingers thinking it would give me better control. It only served to make my writing more cramped; loops and flourishes more difficult.

Thanks to your post, I'll do what feels more natural, guilt-free.

...jumps over the lazy dog.