Indianapolis Stationers

BFGould

Hello,

I recently relocated roughly 2,300 miles and am still trying to find my way around my new town. Is anyone out there from the Indianapolis area and able to recommend a decent stationery or pen shop? I'd also be open to recommendations of shops in Cincinnati or Chicago as I plan to travel to both of those cities very soon. Thanks for the assistance!

Sincerely,

B.F. Gould

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chomann

• pkoko

• sharonspens

• BFGould

I live in Indy and I will give you a basic summary

Pen stores:

1- Paradise Pen

8702 Keystone Crossing

Indianapolis, IN 46240-7621

(317) 581-9192

2- Hardwicke's Pipe & Tobacco

743 Broad Ripple Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46220-1962

(317) 257-5915 ‎

3- Avalon Jewelers

275 South Main Street

Zionsville, IN 46077-1622

(317) 873-0470

Paper wise; I buy my paper from staples & Barnes & noble. Avalon Jewelers also own private reserve; So I get my ink from them as well.

If you have any further questions; PM me. and welcome to Indy

Edited by pkoko

I think of my FPs as my children.

Hardwicke's also has a shop on the circle downtown, though the Broad Ripple store has a much better selection.

Welcome to town!

Never mistake motion for action

- E. Hemingway

Spending the day in Zionsville is one of my favorite things to. Avalon is great fun to visit. There is a cat wondering around and the proprietor is just wonderful to chat with.

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.

-Bill Waterson

So ... then ... what about Chicago? The only stationery store I've found there (Watertower) was pretty pedestrian, although they did have a few unusual pens.

What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

@pkoko: Is Paradise Pen INSIDE Keystone at the Crossing (I guess that's officially The Fashion Mall now)? I'm a Broadripple native and haven't set foot inside the mall in years and don't recall seeing it in my travels around that area. Granted, my travels in that area are fairly limited and infrequent - most of what I need I can get here in the 'Ripple.

"If you show us a drunk blonde chick in her underwear, she has to die. That's just how we roll." - I wish I knew who to attribute that to. T'weren't me.

http://rookery9.aviary.com.s3.amazonaws.com/9375500/9375534_752b.png

Ain't great, but it's the best I've got. So far.

@pkoko: Is Paradise Pen INSIDE Keystone at the Crossing (I guess that's officially The Fashion Mall now)? I'm a Broadripple native and haven't set foot inside the mall in years and don't recall seeing it in my travels around that area. Granted, my travels in that area are fairly limited and infrequent - most of what I need I can get here in the 'Ripple.

Yes the Paradise Pen is inside the fashion mall on the side that is away from Cheese Cake factory. There is a finish line, a rug store and I believe lens crafters next to them.

Danke. I'll have to check that out.

"If you show us a drunk blonde chick in her underwear, she has to die. That's just how we roll." - I wish I knew who to attribute that to. T'weren't me.

http://rookery9.aviary.com.s3.amazonaws.com/9375500/9375534_752b.png

Ain't great, but it's the best I've got. So far.

I am saddened to say that paradise pen in the fashion mall has closed down... They are online only... :crybaby:

I also recommend Avalon Pens in Zionsville. Great customer service.

Currently Inked;

MB 149 w/ MB Toffee Brown

Pilot Custom 823 w/ Perle Noire

Noodler's Aerometric w/ Noodler's X-Feather

In Chicago, Century Pens in the loop is fantastic. The owner, Ed Hamilton, is a class act, to say the least, and demonstrates daily that customer service is truly not dead.

B

Hello,

I recently relocated roughly 2,300 miles and am still trying to find my way around my new town. Is anyone out there from the Indianapolis area and able to recommend a decent stationery or pen shop? I'd also be open to recommendations of shops in Cincinnati or Chicago as I plan to travel to both of those cities very soon. Thanks for the assistance!

Sincerely,

B.F. Gould

Since you mentioned Cincinnati, I'll throw in Louisville, KY which is a straight shot down I65 from Indy. Edgar's is on the campus of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. I've not been there, but hope to go soon. Here are two links referencing it:

http://louisquill.blogspot.com/2010/01/yes-virginia-there-is-fountain-pen.html

http://www.sbts.edu/current-students/amenities/edgars/

As noted, Paradise Pens in the Fashion Mall closed on or about July 1, 2011. Hardwicke's and Avalon are great choices. Avalon is especially good for conversation about, well, anything!

Would also second the Century Pens recommendation; please note, though, that they are only open Monday through Friday if I recall correctly.

Haven't been to Appointments in Cincinnati in some years, but I recall it being a nice store and a very helpful staff.

Finally, mark your calendar for the Ohio Pen Show the first weekend in November. Columbus is just 3 hours away!

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Yes the Paradise Pen is inside the fashion mall on the side that is away from Cheese Cake factory. There is a finish line, a rug store and I believe lens crafters next to them.

Last time I was at the mall, I saw that Paradise Pen is now closed:(

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Indy and I will give you a basic summary

Pen stores:

1- Paradise Pen

8702 Keystone Crossing

Indianapolis, IN 46240-7621

(317) 581-9192

2- Hardwicke's Pipe & Tobacco

743 Broad Ripple Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46220-1962

(317) 257-5915 ‎

3- Avalon Jewelers

275 South Main Street

Zionsville, IN 46077-1622

(317) 873-0470

Paper wise; I buy my paper from staples & Barnes & noble. Avalon Jewelers also own private reserve; So I get my ink from them as well.

If you have any further questions; PM me. and welcome to Indy

Sadly Paradise Pen has been removed from the Keystone Fashion mall! Closest one is not Ohio?! Makes the fashion mall just, well... less fashionable!!

Freedom First, Condemn Conformity.

Last time I was at the mall, I saw that Paradise Pen is now closed:(

Yes they are gone. They were close to teavana and next to papyrus, near lovesac (giggle). I can't believe they closed!!!

In Chicago, Century Pens in the loop is fantastic. The owner, Ed Hamilton, is a class act, to say the least, and demonstrates daily that customer service is truly not dead.

B

Hello,

Sincerely,

B.F. Gould

I believe there are some over in Columbus Ohio area but I don't know about Cincinnati. BF Gould.. any relationship to the Indianapolis solenoid company?

I just found this thread and seeing the "Stationers" name sure brought back some good memories.

As many have pointed out Pen Paradise is closed. Avalon is a must visit for anyone in the area. As StyloBug33 mentioned a day in town is very enjoyable. Be sure to lunch at the Friendly Tavern, which is across the street from Avalon. Don't come to town on Sunday as the streets roll up on Saturday early until Monday.

• 3 weeks later...

B

Hello,

Sincerely,

B.F. Gould

I believe there are some over in Columbus Ohio area but I don't know about Cincinnati. BF Gould.. any relationship to the Indianapolis solenoid company?

No relationship that I'm aware of. It might be worth looking into though!

• 7 months later...

Spending the day in Zionsville is one of my favorite things to. Avalon is great fun to visit. There is a cat wondering around and the proprietor is just wonderful to chat with.

Oh! I absolutely love Bear (The 11yr old black cat). I love downtown Zionsville. Great day walking the streets and mom & pop not big box stores!