• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pmhudepo

• ihtzazqamar

• GhostShip Blue

• smk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ihtzazqamar, looking VERY good there. Here's what I accomplished at a meeting last night and at lunch today:

"If you show us a drunk blonde chick in her underwear, she has to die. That's just how we roll." - I wish I knew who to attribute that to. T'weren't me.

http://rookery9.aviary.com.s3.amazonaws.com/9375500/9375534_752b.png

Ain't great, but it's the best I've got. So far.

Ghostship Blue:

Good to see practice samples. The pattern in the lower left page is very good. Doodling during a meeting is great. They say that people who doodle are actually paying more attention and retaining the key points better than the others. I like the way you have practiced the word 'curves'. I wish that I could write neat cursive.

Uploading a page in this thread is a great motivation for me to sit down and write something.

Regards

Ihtzaz

I've found that this thread has been instrumental in keeping me at the practice sheets - even if I don't post anything I DO want to be able to show some (no matter how little) improvement when I do post. Cheers.

"If you show us a drunk blonde chick in her underwear, she has to die. That's just how we roll." - I wish I knew who to attribute that to. T'weren't me.

Here goes another sample. Now I am beginning to enjoy practicing.post-74152-0-90195800-1312998189.jpg

Beautiful! I love all of your examples. thumbup.gif

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png "Of all of the instruments of war, diplomacy, and revolution, the pen has been the silent giant determining the fate of nations." -Justin Brundin

Here goes another sample. Now I am beginning to enjoy practicing.post-74152-0-90195800-1312998189.jpg

Thanks a lot for your kind words of encouragement. Keeps me motivated.

Thanks a lot for your kind words of encouragement. Keeps me motivated.

Did you learn english at University? It is really quite good conversationally. I have a friend who's parents are from Pakistan and their english is very good as well!

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png "Of all of the instruments of war, diplomacy, and revolution, the pen has been the silent giant determining the fate of nations." -Justin Brundin

Right from class one english language is a compulsory subject in Pakistan. In addition to that I have always studied in schools/college/universities where english was the medium of instruction. I did my MS and PhD from University of Pittsburgh to top all that. Office work is also in english. My vocabulary and spellings are not not that great though.

Uploads have been thin, but I have been practicing quite a bit. Got a new pen and some Diamine Red - the rest of which I spilled on my desk. Pretty color though...

From yesterday:

Got a sample done this morning and it's starting to look pretty acceptable. Maybe a shot later.

Edited by GhostShip Blue

Good to see a post after a break.

Ghostship Blue: Your hybrid hand looks fine. Should be fun to write with an italic nib. A Lammy...congratulations.

I have also noticed that when one tries to incorporate some style in one's handwriting, a hybrid hand emerges. You will see the influence of copperplate in my submission.

post-74152-0-98394200-1313608620.jpg

Thank you all for keeping this thread alive!

fpn_1313654523__wp-20110818.jpg

@ihtzazqamar: beautiful sample, very pleasant to read. Perhaps a few more joins between letters in words, but if this is your daily handwriting, I'd say it is very good.

@GhostShip Blue: great to see you try an italic script, and ruled paper. Did you create this yourself? Can I download it somewhere? Somewhat at random I picked a 5mm for my re-start in writing practice, but it's not working very well. I think I need something smaller (so it would better match my real day-to-day writing) and with more room for ascenders and descenders compared to x-height.

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

Not a great picture, but the first with the new phone. Hard to see, but I bought a new Wing Sung when I got the Lamy and tried it out as well as an Esterbrook Medium Stub I put in my Noodler's Piston Filler. Not my best work, but I nice test out for the two new pens. In case you can't read - the sheets are my own. I can send them, post them here (is there a files section?) or get them spread around one way or another for any one who has interest. Current format is .svg but I can convert it to just about anything - .pdf might be the easiest. PM's might be the best form of communication for that rather than cluttering up the board.

post-72681-0-99294400-1314125399.jpg

Edited by GhostShip Blue

Although I haven't posted much during the last week, I have started my daily morning practice sessions again. I printed a couple of Achim's guide sheets and started writing. Boy, do I need to get used to that slant! The inconsistencies in my writing are much more noticeable to me, so I've got my work cut out.

Here are some of the results:

fpn_1314168061__wp20110820-p1070008.jpg

fpn_1314168076__wp20110820-p1070011.jpg

fpn_1314168142__wp20110820-p1070026.jpg

I started copying a text from www.zenhabits.net yesterday morning, but haven't finished it and will continu tomorrow.

Also, I want to work on my writing speed. If I write painstakingly slow, I can produce beautiful script (in my current opinion -- I'm sure I will think differently in a month or two). If I speed up, as I would when journaling or taking notes, it all falls apart rather quickly. Maybe I'll split my sessions in two: one part slow, careful copying text and one part a bit quicker, perhaps jotting down random thoughts. Breakfast in between.

Guide sheet found here: Guidlines For Palmer Script

Edited by pmhudepo

pmhudepo: Good to see you back and practicing and posting. I have been practicing mostly copperplate using dip nibs. I am trying to port the technique to FP writing. As, I am repeatedly been told to have more joins, I am also working on that. It is a tough habit to overcome.

After few posts, I am out of quota. Others seem to be posing images much more than me. Why I am facing quota problem? Is it because I am new here at FPN?

Second everyone tells me that I can always 'upload' and the upload tab should be visible at the top of the page. I do not see any upload tab?

Any idea what is going on? Please help.

Will post soon. And pmhudepo, I like your posts. They show what you are practicing. In contrast, I simply post the final version. May be I should also post the practice session sheets.

Regards

Ihtzaz

ihtzazqamar: there is a manual for using the Upload tab. It took me a little while to realise that 'Upload' is at the very top of the page and not part of the editor itself.

Member caliken has been experimenting with Copperplate with a fountain pen. Perhaps you've seen his results and comments.

GhostShip Blue: I am interested in your guide sheet. Will send you a PM.

In the meantime I have continued with copying text, but I haven't finished yet. It was a very short session this morning.

@ ihtzazqamar: I'm not sure. I ran into the problem once and went into my profile (I think) and deleted a pictures and hae never had the problem again. I'm not sure what is getting measured, or when.

@ pmhudepo: PM relplied to.

Practice sheet from yesterday:

post-72681-0-43232300-1314276720.jpg

Edited by GhostShip Blue

ihtzazqamar: there is a manual for using the Upload tab. It took me a little while to realise that 'Upload' is at the very top of the page and not part of the editor itself.

Thanks. I have checked and it turns out that I will be able to use the upload option only after I become a gold member. That means more posts? How many post will make me gold member? Any idea? could not find in Help.

Thanks

Ihtzaz

Thanks. I have checked and it turns out that I will be able to use the upload option only after I become a gold member. That means more posts? How many post will make me gold member? Any idea? could not find in Help.

Thanks

Ihtzaz

I think it takes more time as well -- 30 days of membership and 30 posts. In the meantime you can probably upload to flickr.com or some other photo website and insert links to these pictures.

Ihtizaz - I didn't realize there was minimum post requirement for the upload tab to become visible.

You can always upload your scans/pictures to a free service like Picasa or Photobucket and link it from there so it shows up on the posts here. The upload tab is a relatively new feature, I used a private album on my Picasa account before it was introduced.

Best of luck.

Salman

Ihtizaz - I didn't realize there was minimum post requirement for the upload tab to become visible.

You can always upload your scans/pictures to a free service like Picasa or Photobucket and link it from there so it shows up on the posts here. The upload tab is a relatively new feature, I used a private album on my Picasa account before it was introduced.

Best of luck.

Salman

I have used my flickr account for this purpose. Right now post more than practicing to become a gold member though.

Ihtzaz