Fun With Handwriting Practice

pmhudepo

Great samples!

I've been practising as well these past few days and will try to get a sample or two uploaded. I felt I was making progress in creating nice, smooth letter forms. But... this morning, I started writing a letter and I noticed my handwriting quickly deteriorated as I tried to keep up with my thoughts. Most annoying as it seemed my diligent work sofar hardly paid off. :crybaby:

Must remember to slow down when I copy this draft once before sending it.

Edit to add that I like the circled-and-connected letters. I'd like to try that as well, see how far I get in a single stroke.

Edited by pmhudepo

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pmhudepo

• ihtzazqamar

• GhostShip Blue

• smk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Boosted the circled letter drills from the Ames guide available at the IAMPETH website. They seem like very useful drills. Here's today's image:

"If you show us a drunk blonde chick in her underwear, she has to die. That's just how we roll." - I wish I knew who to attribute that to. T'weren't me.

http://rookery9.aviary.com.s3.amazonaws.com/9375500/9375534_752b.png

Ain't great, but it's the best I've got. So far.

Wow, you've been busy!

I'm getting ready for a trip and this morning I think I wrote my most beautiful to-do list ever :)

I also continued work on a letter, which is now nearly finished. I managed to slow down a bit and my handwriting seemed better than yesterday's.

As far a practice goes, just a quick half-page sofar. I tried the circled letter drills, which are fun to do.

fpn_1312365166__wp-20110803-1.jpg

Is that Hilary? I love Hilary Hahn! Whenever I get tense I put her on Korngold Concerto. It might even stop the death grip right in its tracks!

Yesterday was a difficult session. I couldn't stop putting pressure on my hand and I suppose I was either trying too hard, or was already thinking about work-related issues. The music was nice, though. I finally gave up and just doodled a bit to clear my head.

fpn_1310970493__writing-20110718-p1060946.jpg

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

Is that Hilary? I love Hilary Hahn! Whenever I get tense I put her on Korngold Concerto. It might even stop the death grip right in its tracks!

Yes! And I love her music as well. Her Korngold Concerto hasn't been released on CD, has it? I have heard it on the DVD "Hilary Hahn: A Portrait," but can't remember seeing it elsewhere. Perhaps I should play the DVD while writing at home, although that might a distraction from work :blush:

One good thing about this thread is, it inspires me to start practicing cursive writing all over again!

I wear my Pen as others do their Sword.

John Oldham

One good thing about this thread is, it inspires me to start practicing cursive writing all over again!

Please do, and post pictures. I enjoy seeing writing samples from others, which is why I started this thread. Every now and then an element of someone's writing gets incorporated into my own. Perhaps in a year or so, I will have a handwriting that I can use slowly, carefully (as with my practice sheets right now) as well as quickly (when taking notes, or writing a draft letter -- these writings still look horrible)

This morning I copied the draft I was working on earlier and it's ready to be mailed. No pictures, sorry. I think my penpal should be the one to read this.

Patrick.

I listen to the Korngold on Youtube. My next favorite is Bruch's. That IS out on CD, or at least on iTunes. The last movement kills me. (Sorry for hijacking the handwriting topic temporarily.)

I have been practicing my cursive in my writings - used to be a creative writing student/amatuer. But what I need are some practice sheets. Does anyone know if there are free sheets available online that an adult can use without embarrassment? I've tried Googling, and can't find any decent free ones. I don't need a book, just some common sheets that emphasize common difficulties, like the looping in cursive e's, a's, etc.

Hang in there, pmhudepo!

Yes! And I love her music as well. Her Korngold Concerto hasn't been released on CD, has it? I have heard it on the DVD "Hilary Hahn: A Portrait," but can't remember seeing it elsewhere. Perhaps I should play the DVD while writing at home, although that might a distraction from work :blush:

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

Hello. I am new to this forum. I would suggest to practice by writing big (in size, not capitals) letters in order to force your arm and shoulder muscles to do the movement.

Practising slant; I should probably print a proper guide sheet for this. I simply drew a bunch of lines and gave it a try this morning.

fpn_1312531824__wp-20110805.jpg

@ihtzazqamar: :W2FPN: and thanks for your suggestion. Generally, with my writing sessions, I write pretty big. I'm still having trouble transferring my neat-but-huge-and-slow skills to my daily writing. Add some samples of your own, please. I'm always interested in seeing how other folks practise their writing.

Phot is still rough. Flash blew out the thin ink, so the shadow comes free.

Spent yesterday and a fair portion of today working on "worry" and it's tenses. Still unhappy with the chain of "wo" "or" and "rr" transitions. Any suggestions out there?

Overall I do feel like I'm beginning to make some headway though.

"If you show us a drunk blonde chick in her underwear, she has to die. That's just how we roll." - I wish I knew who to attribute that to. T'weren't me.

ihtzazqamar: I think it looks just fine, indeed relaxed. Perhaps if you slowed down a bit, you'd get a little more consistency throughout your writing? Maybe a few more connections between letters in a word. But that could easily just be my quest for neatness in writing. Very nice work with that B nib.

all: I shan't be posting samples for a few days because of other engagements, but will try to keep writing and can perhaps make up later on. Thanks everybody for contributing to this thread. Keep 'm coming!

Wow! What a fun thread! Says so right in the title, and it's true!

Rock on, you guys with your hand-relaxation and handwriting practice! I want to try it, too. Neat!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

@ ihtzazqamar: Thanks for joining us. Going back to Copperplate? Outstanding, maybe I'll be able to pick up some ideas from you. As your hand stands, I'd be inclined to agree with pmhudepo, try slowing down and relaxing your grip. Soft hands.

@ethenautrix: Come 'on down, you're the next contestant...

No practice today - left the house early to take the kids to a "Fly In" at the airport, and have been running ever since. Mayhaps tomorrow.

My second sample. I hope to improve through your feedback. Please do guide me.

Regards

Ihtzazpost-74152-0-12479600-1312744669.jpg

Spent more time fighting with computers and cameras than I did practicing. And yes, that stack of cards is full of hand writing practice too - I thought USB was supposed to fix all that foolishness. Back to my old SCSI scanner for me...

This morning's practice.

This morning's practice.

I'm planning to buy a gray-green ink at the DC pen show on Saturday. I can barely read the name... is it Private Reserve Ebony Green?

Edited by Aunt Jill

Let there be light. Then let there be a cat, a cocktail, and a good book.

Ebony Blue. A friend gave me a sample bottle which I thinned (not particularly precisely to be honest) with water. Undiluted it's almost a tourquiose-black - I noticed the slight green cast which is why I thinned it.

The camera I have with me is the one built into my LG ENV-3 phone, so the color reproduction is a little dicey. Looking back at the original and what I see on this monitor it looks a bit bluer in person.

If you'd like, PM me and I'll slip a post card in the mail.

Edited by GhostShip Blue