Pelikan M215 - Italic Nib

Owner of a Lonely Heart

Well hello FPN, here is my first review of a pen. I hope that it follows an acceptable format! This is a review of my newest pen, just acquired today. It is a Pelikan M215 in the Lozenge pattern with an Italic nib. This is my very first Italic nib. Anyway without further delay here is the review!

Packaging: 7/10

Honestly I could care less about the box... Haha. Isn't it the pen that really matters?

Appearance: 10/10

I have had my eye on this pen in my local shop for some time... I bought this particular pattern because I love the classic look it has. The diamond pattern appears to sparkle along with the trim when held up to the light. This is a very classy-looking pen.

Construction and Quality: 10/10

This pen does not feel cheap. This pen has the solid feel of a well made German instrument that will be with me for many many long years to come. I like the idea that I could use this thing forever and it will still function as it always has! I guess looking at all the vintage Pelikans out there and even the heavily used new ones I can have some confidence in its tank-like build.

Balance and Design: 9/10

I love the way this pen feels in my really small hands. It does not have a huge girth, and that I like. When posted the pen feels as it should, very balanced and ready for 20 pages ;) However, unposted it does not feel as nice, though not unbearable.

Nib and Performance: 10/10

Holy smokes does this thing write! I fell in love with this nib the second I touched it to paper. It is so unlike all other nibs in my rather small collection, and I knew I had to have it. I was hooked, and you can now probably say I have caught the "Italic Virus". I have been doodling with it all day with Caran d'Ache Saffron in it and I love it! In the store it was dipped in Pelikan Blue and I loved the way that looked so much I bought a bottle haha! As awesome as an italic nib is I am not quite used to it yet...

Filling System: 10/10

This pen has a Piston Filling system. It is fashioned in the typical Pelikan style that means it holds LOADS of ink, operates smoother than a skate on ice, and is nearly invincible. This pen has already had in it a lot of my inks (around 10) and the ease of flushing is astounding as well! I am very impressed! Also there is a semi-transparent ink window that it grey and very functional for telling ink level.

Cost and Value: 10/10

I got this for $140 taxes in! I thought it was a great price, and I am very very happy with the buy.

Final Conclusion: 9/10

The only thing I might change about this pen is the fact that I might like it a little longer... And that is really about it! The nib on this thing is incredible and I hope to acquire more Italic nibs in the future. I absolutely love everything about this pen and I would recommend it to anyone who thought the regular M200 was not sturdy enough of they are just looking for an invincible daily writer.

And now for pictures!

http://s1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff394/Owner_of_a_Lonely_Heart/

Edited by Owner of a Lonely Heart

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Owner of a Lonely Heart

• fabrimedeiros

• YI_likeFP

• GeekyGirl

I bought this one at a local B&M here in Calgary, Alberta

Nice review, thanks! Love the design of the pen, I haven't seen that before. Thanks

Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance

Nice review, thanks! Love the design of the pen, I haven't seen that before. Thanks

You're welcome! The design is most of the reason why I bought the pen, but the Nib is the other part. Currently I have it filled with Pelikan Blue Black, but with the added touch of some dish soap the ink shades like mad and comes out nice and wet! It is truly crazy to write with!

Oh, thanks for the review and welcome to the Italic/Stub Club!! :thumbup:

I have the same pen, but, first, I purchased it with M nib. After that, I picked up a spare M2x5 B nib, which I reground myself to a stub. Now, I rarely use the M nib.

I've been looking for that M2x5 "I" nib and haven't had sucess. Why is this so rare? Even good and famous Pelikan dealers don't know that nib. :hmm1:

A writing sample would be great!

Regards,

Fabricio

Hello and thank you for a timely review. I have an M200 with F,M,and B nibs. The M215 with an italic nib is quite interesting. Thanks again for posting your review.

Kind regards,

A.Henry

Nice review. What I like about the M2XX series is they appear small but they are not. They are the perfect size for carrying in a pocket. I think Pelikan, in their design, made the most efficient use of the cap. When capped, the nib goes as far into the cap as possible, making the pen appear smaller and serving the purpose of making it easier to carry. It makes it look small, but really, when one removes the cap, the pen itself is as big as other full sized fountain pens. I have a Sailor 1911 Full Size pen and a Pelikan M205. Looking at the pens capped, the Sailor looks much bigger. When I remove the caps (and don't post) the pens are nearly the same length, the Pelikan slightly shorter. When I post the caps, again, they are nearly the same length.

Thanks for the review. It's a great looking pen.

Jeff

Thanks for the praise guys! I am glad you like the review and the pen! Anyway I have some bad news... Turns out this italic nib was giving me some serious starting trouble so I took it back to the store and the lady there was very willing to give me the Fine nib off of another M215 in the shop. I decided that the fine nib may be more useful in my daily writing so I took the option. I am sorry to report that for the time being I now remain without any other Italic nibs :(

However I am POSITIVE that I will get one in the future because they are truly great!

Nice review. What I like about the M2XX series is they appear small but they are not. They are the perfect size for carrying in a pocket. I think Pelikan, in their design, made the most efficient use of the cap. When capped, the nib goes as far into the cap as possible, making the pen appear smaller and serving the purpose of making it easier to carry. It makes it look small, but really, when one removes the cap, the pen itself is as big as other full sized fountain pens. I have a Sailor 1911 Full Size pen and a Pelikan M205. Looking at the pens capped, the Sailor looks much bigger. When I remove the caps (and don't post) the pens are nearly the same length, the Pelikan slightly shorter. When I post the caps, again, they are nearly the same length.

Jeff

Good point. The M2xx is often criticized for being dimunitive, but when posted it is a nice medium size like a Lamy 2000, Parker Sonnet, Waterman Charleston, MB 145. Capped it is nice and compact perfect for the shirt pocket. Lamy for example capped is quite large and bulky. Pelikan did a good job with the proportions to give you the best of both worlds size wise.

Edited by max dog

• 2 years later...

Jeff

Nicely stated Jeff, I couldn't agree more. i thought I was an M6xx person as I adore my M650 Mount Everest, but I was blown away by my first M205 demonstrator. Then I bought another. Then I bought this one. I absolutely agree with your assessment of the capped versus posted Pelikan M2xx. And I think your comment might help others considering the M2xx/M4xx family of Pelikans.

And thank you, Owner of a Lonely Heart, for the review.

Thanks!