Italix 'parsons' Essential' Fountain Pen.

Lorna Reed

Try Sheaffer Ink. This pen should flow freely, if it does not, return the nib unit and we will exchange it. MrPen at www.mrpen.co.uk

i really want to buy an italix. i am deciding on a medium oblique since i do not have any nib of this type and i always write by twisting the nib on an angle of about 30 degrees.. my question is how thick is the nib.. i mean the stroke. the medium nib italic is about 1 mm. but i assume this nib the medium oblique will be a lot thinner since is not really an italic nib....

thanks.. i might order it this week if i make my mind about the nib....... and as for the band i hope is the knotted pattern that looks like a celtic symbol other than the geometric one even though is also nice...

can not wait to have it but the issue with the nib is driving me crazy. you told me on an email i can exchange it..... but better if i get it right the first time.....

Regards

p p e n l o v e r r

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• papabear16

• Harlequin

• cbaytan

• pjford

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found the italic broad nib to be extremely smooth and pleasant to use. According to my digital caliper gauge, it's 1.1 mm wide. I have found this to be a perfect size for everyday writing, but then I have a fairly large hand (as in script). An oblique might actually be interesting too :lol:.

Het puntje van een gauwe pen

Is ’t felste wapen dat ik ken.

- Jacob Cats (1577-1660)

The nib of a gold pen

Is the most vicious weapon I know.

I have two of these, one with medium italic and one with regular medium nib. They are both very nice pens and incredibly smooth writers - my favourite pens by far. However, since my handwriting is not so large, I would happily buy a couple more of them if Mr. Ford started to offer them with fine nibs (both medium and italic).

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered two.... they just won't arrive yet!!!!! Where is tele-transportation????? they promissed it!!!!! what is all a lie???????

on my third week of waiting now....................

A Fountain Pen is never just a Fountain Pen.

Mine arrived but I'm out of town till Friday ... oh I hate to wait to get a new toy ...

I ordered mine last night with a medium oblique italic, the first pen I have with this type of nib. I will be out of town when it arrives, but I will wait patiently. I'm a little conflicted about my choice of nib as I can't imagine this being an everyday nib, but at this price a second is not out of the question.

Here is a very quick demonstration of the Medium Italic nib in action. It really is a marvellous pen and I do hope Mr Pen would consider supplying a Fine Italic. Then it would be perfect.

That Diamine Syrah ink is really something. Just love it.

Talking about ink notice how light the MB Diamond is in my Duofold.

Sorry that my hand writing is so scruffy.

post-10340-0-44630600-1342521949.jpg

Edit: Just had another online chat with Mr Pen ( Hi if you are reading this!) and because MrP is a small company they have no plans to provide a Fine italic as they can't match the price on offer with the med italic.

So come on everyone, get buying so they can!

Edited by semele

Up to now, i use my Italix Parsons Essential daily. For that matter, i use it a LOT. It never fails to perform, however i still feel that using cartridges is the best way to fill this pen, despite the overall good quality of the converter provided, but i keep having troubles with inkflow using the converter. I did however not use another inkbottle than the regular black Pelikan 4001. The long (non EU standard) Waterman cartridges are really wonderful, however. In answer to my Q. on this matter, Ronlakin replied with better experiences than mine, so maybe it has also to do with the type and brand of ink.

What else can i say ? If feel it's a great pen. I only can underline the fine experiences of other users. I feel we also owe mrs. Reed because she attended us all first on this pen.

Up to now, i use my Italix Parsons Essential daily. For that matter, i use it a LOT. It never fails to perform, however i still feel that using cartridges is the best way to fill this pen, despite the overall good quality of the converter provided, but i keep having troubles with inkflow using the converter. I did however not use another inkbottle than the regular black Pelikan 4001. The long (non EU standard) Waterman cartridges are really wonderful, however. In answer to my Q. on this matter, Ronlakin replied with better experiences than mine, so maybe it has also to do with the type and brand of ink.

What else can i say ? If feel it's a great pen. I only can underline the fine experiences of other users. I feel we also owe mrs. Reed because she attended us all first on this pen.

Yes I second that. Many thanks to Mrs Reed for bringing this pen to our attention. I have been using it over the past few days and although I would have preferred the fine italic I am getting more and more fond of the nib. It is just great.

May I also point out ( excuse the pun) MrPen is also selling them on eBay. The P&P is more attractive than on his website. UK -£2.50 1st class RD. That price is very good as a small packet is normally £3.65! This is cheaper than buying from his website.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Italix-Parsons-Essential-Fountain-Pen-/261062592214?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PensPencils_WritingEquipment_SM&var=&hash=item3cc88b06d6

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Writing like dream. Starting up first time, no skipping. Last used it a couple of days ago. Decided to get it out of the box tonight, didn't start up first time,unscrewed barrel and we have got a big leak. It was everywhere including my fingers! Been using the converter filled with Diamine Syrah without a problem until now.

Could it be because I left it a couple of days?

As you recommend the long Waterman cartridges I'm wondering whether you have tried a Waterman converter?

Still love it.

Because of this thread and then Stephen Browns youtube, I bought one of these!

I got the Italic nib.

Got to be honest, it aint as crisp as I had hoped. That said, it is an amazingly smoooooooth writer and I am quite enjoying it!

I can attest to the great quality of this pen. I purchased one with a medium italic nib and it arrived today - it is smooth and wet, a very nice writer. I am now debating whether to purchase a second - that is how much I like it!

Does anyone have any writing samples with the medium nib?

I ordered two.... they just won't arrive yet!!!!! Where is tele-transportation????? they promissed it!!!!! what is all a lie???????

on my third week of waiting now....................

That was my post last july the 15th. I have got my Parsons' last July the 30th. There was a problem with the mail office here. The pens were in since July the 12th.

I am deligted with this pen, it is exactly what i wanted and i cannot stop using it. It is smooths and robust, with excelent machinery.

In heaven...... :cloud9:

A Fountain Pen is never just a Fountain Pen.

Another update: a small int cartridge has been inserted in it- for some reason I just adore writing with red ink in this fantastic pen - and it is back to it's usual self. No more leaks.

Perhaps it was being naughty as I hadn't used it for a couple of days. :cloud9:

Hi Colleagues

Shortly after getting the italic medium, because I liked it so much I ordered the italic broad. Although it is a heavy pen, it balances well and it feels so robust that it could withstand hard use indefinitely. I am of the wet writer school and both of my examples fit in that category, though I note that that experience is not universal.

Many people have commented on the smoothness of the writing contact. I ordered the broad by phone as I was having difficulty with the computer that day and as a result had a conversation with Mr Ford. He said that the smoothness was not a result so much of the grinding as people generally think, but of the subsequent polishing.

The line variation of the italic nib I find greater on paper designed specifically for writing rather than just printing. At the school I work at, use the nibs on copier paper and the effect is, well, best avoided, but on A4 feint and margin it is distinct. That having been said, I do agree with Stompie that ideally I would hope for more variation. Two factors are at work here, I think:

1 Wet writing, although as I said I generally like it as a feature, seems, perhaps not surprisingly, to act against crispness;

2 The edge of the nib ipp

Hit the wrong button. Too technically challenged. I will start from point 2 in the premature post.

2 The vertical edge of the nib is ground to slant inward top to bottom, increasing the depth of edge the nib presents to the paper.

This second factor is the main one, I think.

Most of the threads talking about the varieties of italic nibs seem to focus on the rounding of the corners. My two sharpest italics are two Esterbrooks with both sharp corners and thin edges. They write a very crisp line. My Lamy 1.5 has cursive corners, but a thin edge and writes with more variation than the Italix, which has sharp corners, but a thick edge.

I would love to post samples of what I mean, but I'm too technically challenged for that too at present!

Kindest regards

Timothy

Just like to thank you all for the ongoing positive observations on our Italix Parson's Essential. Particular thanks to Lorna who started the whole thing with her brilliant detailed review and to Stephen Brown who reviewed the Parson's on YouTube.

We are continuing the development of the product and can now offer a fine italic version with a writing width (on the broad stroke) of 0.65mm. This still utilises the same standard medium nib but we achieve it by grinding the pellet down flat before cutting at the very tip, then shaping and polishing. I have some doubts that it is quite as smooth as the other nibs however the feedback from the small number we have sent out is very good. It should be noted that the tip is slightly cursive.

http://mrpen.co.uk/contents/media/flowlittle.png www.mrpen.co.uk

Just like to thank you all for the ongoing positive observations on our Italix Parson's Essential. Particular thanks to Lorna who started the whole thing with her brilliant detailed review and to Stephen Brown who reviewed the Parson's on YouTube.

We are continuing the development of the product and can now offer a fine italic version with a writing width (on the broad stroke) of 0.65mm. This still utilises the same standard medium nib but we achieve it by grinding the pellet down flat before cutting at the very tip, then shaping and polishing. I have some doubts that it is quite as smooth as the other nibs however the feedback from the small number we have sent out is very good. It should be noted that the tip is slightly cursive.

I would like one please!