Italix 'parsons' Essential' Fountain Pen.

Lorna Reed

I am thinking about adding the italix to my collection, I am wondering if anyone can comment on long writing sessions with this pen. I am a little concerned it may be too heavy for me. However if most of the weight is in the cap maybe writing w/o posting would be a solution as I can go either way. Has anyone experienced hand fatigue using this pen for 3+ hours at a time?

I have been using mine quite a lot over the past couple of weeks and have definitely not had any fatigue. I would not say the cap is that heavy and posted the pen feels perfectly balanced.

Thanks for the response robofkent! Glad to know it isn't too heavy.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• papabear16

• Harlequin

• cbaytan

• pjford

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wrote quite a lot the past few days without any serious fatigue signs, but i have still to get used to proper writing, as i just started with that. I must say it performs wonderfully, it is real medium i think (bit thick lines) but it also performs well upside down and than produces fine lines. No skipping, no false starts, no blobs of ink. I had to adjust the tines a bit before using. I did it intuitively by hand, without using any tools whatsoever. That worked out pretty good.

The Italix as a whole certainly is not too heavy, but posted it doesn't fit me (i have rather small hands) and feels to me quite unbalanced, wobbly, the cap somehow IS heavier than the rest of the pen, but not too much, all in all. I don't know whether it's logical to make the cap heavier than the rest, I would like a low-lying gravitational point, i suppose, close to the nib.

Most certainly NOT a failure, this Italix Parsons Essential !

Enjoy !

I have been using my Italix Parson's pen for some time now. I find it very comfortable to hold and my hand doesn't fatigue on extended writing sessions (for about 1.5 hours). I have been using Waterman Florida Blue in the pen and over the past few weeks the pen has become a little wetter, but the writing experience is very good. As I mentioned in a previous post, my only gripe with this pen is that it is a CC pen and that means I have fill it every day--well I've to admit that's really not a problem and I'm enjoying this pen very much. Together with my set of Sheaffer 300s these are perhaps the only CC pens I really got to like.

In response to my original posting of 13 March Peter Ford offered to exchange the nib for me if I felt the need should arise. I decided to accept that offer and posted the pen back to Mr Pen on Tue 27 March, the time of posting as indicated by the post office receipt is 1528 hours. The pen arrived back at my home in the morning post of Thursday 29 March. You simply cannot ask for better service than that, in my experience the service from Mr Pen is outstanding. As for the pen, the fact is I like it, I like it a lot.

On the strength of my experience with my Parson's Essential, I have just ordered a Pocketo, which looks like the same pen but with different colour options (my choice was red) and has a Medium italic nib.

• 4 weeks later...

post-84447-0-44357800-1335902874.jpgAfter 3 (or 4 ?...) weeks of regular writing (taking extensive notes, elaborating them, thinking-on-paper, which i do very often, and scribbling reminders, to-do-lists etc) with my new Italix Parsons Essential, about which i posted 2 replies on his forum, i am becoming more and more enthousiastic about this wonderful pen. I had a few minor drawbacks which seem to evaporate altogether now. This is the reason why i reply now for the third time.

First, I stated, the clip is 'absurdly stiff'. This still stands, BUT seemingly only for the first few weeks. It is becoming definitely and significantly less stiff than it was. I can use it now for ordinary daily 'clipping' so to say... That's one drawback less.

Second, i feared, it consumed ink like none. This turned out to be NOT true. I just wasn't used anymore using an FP. Also with the regular medium nib which mr Ford recommended to me, it lasted a week longer than i feared.

Third, it takes all kinds of standard cartridges and the long ones as well. A proprietor in my city warned me that Waterman long cartridges, which were the first i encountered in his shop, do fit only in Waterman pen's. I bought them anyway (sure a little risky) but they fit just as well in this Italix Parsons' Essential, as mr. Ford informed me. No leaking whatsoever, and i do not handle it very carefully once locked up in its black box. I carry it with me in my back-pack which i throw here and there in corners and on the floor or on tables without taking too much care, wherever i have to go, and the pen just doesn't give in. No leaking, no dropping, just fine.

Four, becoming more and more used to the pen, i find the balance and grip in the meantime just perfect (non-posted). When you have small hands like me, posted, you'll find the pen is off-balance.

Therefore, still more recommended than even just after purchasing. What an extraordinary pen for this money ! Excellent.

Fazit: More than ever, HIGHLY recommended, this Italix Parsons' Essential

Interesting to see in your photo that the cap band is different on your newer pen. Mine has a greek key design and yours looks more like a celtic knot design. :happyberet:

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

Interesting to see in your photo that the cap band is different on your newer pen. Mine has a greek key design and yours looks more like a celtic knot design. :happyberet:

Yes, apparently mr Ford has 2 designs in stock. I didn't ask for a particular cap band, this one was sent to me. The original photo on "Mr Pens" website also shows the celtic knot design. Mrs. Reeds' photographs however reveal the greek design. I personally would prefer the greek design, but that is entirely personal. I'm also happy with this one, mostly because it appears very thoroughly finished, i think with a kind of blanc lacquer protecting the cap band, and also because the pen as a whole is a little gem, indeed 'for not much money...' as the youtube actor (voice of mr. Ford ?) states at the very end of the film... Enjoy and have a fine day.

Sorry about the cap band change, we were advised by the overseas manufacturer of the cap and barrel that the Greek design was not available for a while so we opted for a change. As no objections were raised we have stuck with it. www.mrpen.co.uk

http://mrpen.co.uk/contents/media/flowlittle.png www.mrpen.co.uk

Sorry about the cap band change, we were advised by the overseas manufacturer of the cap and barrel that the Greek design was not available for a while so we opted for a change. As no objections were raised we have stuck with it. www.mrpen.co.uk

That's no problem mr. Ford. When it was, i would have contacted you. It is definitely a very fine pen as it is and i'm enjoying it very much on a daily basis.

post-84447-0-84249800-1335983927.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Meanwhile, i wrote a lot with my new Parsons Essential. Indeed, a fine pen. However, i recently discovered some minor disadvantages using the convertor. I found it not as reliable as cartridges. One time a leaky situation, which probably has to do with the fact that i handle my pen (boxed) not too carefully..., but, using the converter, every now and then, i have to screw the slider a little downwards to force the ink into the pen manually, because the inkflow diminishes up to the point of no flow at all, i suppose because of the lack of air flowing in. I suspect the (Schmidt) converter does fit so perfectly to the pen, that during writing, underpressure is building up due to ink depletion, thus hampering a proper inkflow.

It is not a major disadvantage but a little annoying every now and then (say up to ten times starting with a full convertor).

Q: Do other Italix Parsons' Essential users on this Forum experience the same effect, or is it natural behaviour of a convertor ? With cartridges (I use Waterman long cartridges) there are absolutely no problems with inkflow or leaks at all (in the meantime i used up 4 cartridges). I'd say: still a great pen, but do use cartridges and leave the convertor at home.

I very much look forward to some reactions !

• 4 weeks later...

Meanwhile, i wrote a lot with my new Parsons Essential. Indeed, a fine pen. However, i recently discovered some minor disadvantages using the convertor. I found it not as reliable as cartridges. One time a leaky situation, which probably has to do with the fact that i handle my pen (boxed) not too carefully..., but, using the converter, every now and then, i have to screw the slider a little downwards to force the ink into the pen manually, because the inkflow diminishes up to the point of no flow at all, i suppose because of the lack of air flowing in. I suspect the (Schmidt) converter does fit so perfectly to the pen, that during writing, underpressure is building up due to ink depletion, thus hampering a proper inkflow.

It is not a major disadvantage but a little annoying every now and then (say up to ten times starting with a full convertor).

Q: Do other Italix Parsons' Essential users on this Forum experience the same effect, or is it natural behaviour of a convertor ? With cartridges (I use Waterman long cartridges) there are absolutely no problems with inkflow or leaks at all (in the meantime i used up 4 cartridges). I'd say: still a great pen, but do use cartridges and leave the convertor at home.

I very much look forward to some reactions !

I use my Parsons Essential on pretty much a daily basis and only with the converter and have not experienced any problems with leaks. I did find the ink flow a little lighter than I prefer - but to be fair I do like a wet pen. Mr Pen exchanged the nib for me at zero cost and this went a long way to resolving the issue. I was originally using Waterman Florida blue ink and found that changing to a very old bottle of Parker Penman Ebony ink made a substantial improvement (strange because from what I can gather many people dislike Penman ink) as did using Mont Blanc Royal Blue. I tried Shaeffer ink but found it too watery for my liking. I have not tried any other brands of ink. I have to add there is something addictive about the Parsons Essential and the more I use it the more I like it, so much so that my expensive (some would say overpriced) Mont Blanc and Pelikan hardly ever see light of day.

• 2 weeks later...

We were thrilled to have been sent a wonderful review featured on YouTube by Stephen Brown. Thank you Stephen and heres a link:

http://www.youtube.c...=1&feature=plcp Regards Peter Ford at MrPen.

Edited by pjford

http://mrpen.co.uk/contents/media/flowlittle.png www.mrpen.co.uk

We were thrilled to have been sent a wonderful review featured on YouTube by Stephen Brown. Thank you Stephen and heres a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7skrabcAlw. Regards Peter Ford at MrPen.

I don't see the link. :crybaby:

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

It's the latest one on his channel:

Thanks very much for the link. what a terrific review. I love my Parsons Essential :clap1: As the reviewer says, it's one of the smoothest nibs you can find. The only smoother pen I have is an MB 146, costing tons more than the Parsons Essential.

Philippians 4.8

Thanks for adding the video ... Had to get one to add to my collection. I ordered the medium italic so will see when I get it.

Love nice wet and juicy pens so i added it to my order.

This pen never seems to get any attention on FPN - maybe because its not a well known brand. I have written this review simply because no-one else seems to have done so, and I think this pen is definitely worthy of a little attention.

First Impressions

the pen comes in a plain black box. Nothing fancy, but strong and adequate. this suits me. I prefer my money to go into the pen rather than in big, flashy boxes.

the pen looks quietly elegant on its black velvet base.

Appearance and Design.

this is a very classic looking pen with a polished black lacquer barrel and cap.(Made in the Far East but finished in England). It has a very attractive greek key design round the gold coloured cap band and a sturdy clip with an attractive flat oval end.

The words 'The Italix Parsons' Essential' is engraved, barely visibly, on the barrel side.I give it 9 for appearance.

Construction and Design

the pen has a brass liner for weight. It feels solid and sturdy in the hand.

You would not have to treat this pen with kid gloves - this is a daily workhorse pen.the pocket clip seems very sturdy and tight.9

Nib.

The nib is a two-tone German nib and is available in Medium and Medium Italic. When I first put pen to paper I could not believe how smooth was the nib - even smoother than my waterman Phileas. 10

the pen comes with a converter and takes standard euro cartriges.

Size.

5 1/2" capped, 6 1/4" posted.

Cost and Value

the pen is £39.00 incl.VAT and is only available from Mr. Pen.I had my initials engraved on the cap for an extra £3.

this represents very good value IMO as it is a very sturdy well made pen and should last a very long time. 10

Conclusion.

If the pen I received is typical of them all, then I would not hesitate to recommend this pen.

My transaction with Mr. Pen was very smooth and positive. Ordered on a Monday afternoon and received Wednesday morning, well packaged.

post-41470-0-78503700-1307799763.jpg

Forgot to say that the cap is a screw on cap and is very smooth in operation.

i really want this pen.. but i am going crazy thinking about the nib. i would like one of those special nibs but not sure about it.. as for the pen. when i make my mind i will certainly buy it..

Regards

p p e n l o v e r r

The only complaint I have is that the so called engraving has worn off very quickly! But the pen itself remains an absolute joy to use.

i was thinking about engraving mine when i order it. apparently is engraved and then inked in yellow colour.. so the engraving is not good quality.. i am between engrave it or not. and can not make my mind. neither what nib size to get. still i want to get this pen...

Edited by ppenloverr

Regards

p p e n l o v e r r