Photo

Italix 'parsons' Essential' Fountain Pen.

• Please log in to reply
348 replies to this topic

#331 cbaytan

cbaytan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:13

If your pen worked well for two weeks, then the problem is not the pen,  problem sounds like an ink clot or tines clogged with paper particules. It  needs a good cleaning, brushing the feed with a toothburh and cleaning the nib slit with a brass sheet will give it a go again: If you don't have a brass sheet nor intend to buy one you can use paper to clean the slit. Make sure C/C sits well. Good luck.

http://www.gouletpen...brasssheets.htm

One boring blue, one boring black 1mm thickness at most.... 

Then there are Fountain Pens with gorgeous permanent inks..

#332 pjford

pjford

Italix at MrPen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:14

I have to share my disappointment with the Parson's Essential. The hype around the pen really convinced me to get one. I got the broad italic and loved it, at first. I got it a couple of weeks back. Since then I tried to make it work but it was just impossible. The pen either stops writing altogether (depends on paper and ink) or at least gets so dry that it skips quite a bit and gains a ridiculous amount of feedback - as if you write with a dried out pen. It varies, but usually this happens after a half to one and a half page of continuous writing. The only thing there is to do is to saturate the feed or let it sit overnight. Then it is ready for another half-page of writing. Very cool pen, and very useless.

As we stated in our email to you:

'send it back and we will either repair it or exchange it. If on the other hand we cannot find a reason, our only option will be to refund your purchase.'

If you send it back by standard airmail, it will cost no more than £3. There is no point in struggling to make a pen work if there is a fault with the pen. It should flow well and glide over the paper.

flowlittle.png                    www.mrpen.co.uk

#333 Blue_Moon

Blue_Moon

Pen Quest

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2014 - 16:18

I have to share my disappointment with the Parson's Essential. The hype around the pen really convinced me to get one. I got the broad italic and loved it, at first. I got it a couple of weeks back. Since then I tried to make it work but it was just impossible. The pen either stops writing altogether (depends on paper and ink) or at least gets so dry that it skips quite a bit and gains a ridiculous amount of feedback - as if you write with a dried out pen. It varies, but usually this happens after a half to one and a half page of continuous writing. The only thing there is to do is to saturate the feed or let it sit overnight. Then it is ready for another half-page of writing. Very cool pen, and very useless.

Any man-made thing will not be perfect, so there may be a lemon in every 1000 pens or so sold. I've got three Parson's Essentials and a Churchman's Prescriptor, with nary a problem. Contact Mr. Ford. He provides excellent customer service, and I'm sure he will be able to help you.

Edited to add: I started this response an hour ago, and got interrupted. I'm just now getting back to it, and I see that Mr. Ford has already responded with his outstanding, as usual, service. BTW, I'd like to add that there's no reason to complain about it on the forum, if you've already had contact with Mr. Ford, and he already offered to make things right for you.

Edited by Blue_Moon, 14 August 2014 - 16:22.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

#334 Ludevit

Ludevit

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 19:04

If your pen worked well for two weeks

No it did not.

As we stated in our email to you:

'send it back and we will either repair it or exchange it. If on the other hand we cannot find a reason, our only option will be to refund your purchase.'

If you send it back by standard airmail, it will cost no more than £3. There is no point in struggling to make a pen work if there is a fault with the pen. It should flow well and glide over the paper.

Yes I know, thank you. I am waiting for PR Tanzanite, should arrive soon. I will give it one more shot, then I'm sending it back to you.

Any man-made thing will not be perfect, so there may be a lemon in every 1000 pens or so sold. I've got three Parson's Essentials and a Churchman's Prescriptor, with nary a problem. Contact Mr. Ford. He provides excellent customer service, and I'm sure he will be able to help you.

Edited to add: I started this response an hour ago, and got interrupted. I'm just now getting back to it, and I see that Mr. Ford has already responded with his outstanding, as usual, service. BTW, I'd like to add that there's no reason to complain about it on the forum, if you've already had contact with Mr. Ford, and he already offered to make things right for you.

The problem with this thread is that there is almost no one reporting any problems with the pen. When it arrived I was thrilled but as soon as I started writing more than a few sentences it just didn't live up to the expectations. I searched outside of the forum and found a few people reporting this same issue. That is why I thought it necessary to post it here. So I really believe that there IS a reason to "complain" about it on the forum, as you put it.

Edit: I do realize that it is simply a bad luck to get a faulty pen. I do not blame anyone, this is not rant, I just think it can be always just as useful to hear negative comments on pens as well as positive, that's all.

Edited by danieln, 14 August 2014 - 19:34.

#335 cbaytan

cbaytan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2014 - 22:03

No it did not.

So you need to send the pen back, after chatting with Mr. Ford at the website, you don't need to send heavy cap and barrel, just section, nib and feed and C/C would be enough for saving mail charges. Good luck

One boring blue, one boring black 1mm thickness at most.... 

Then there are Fountain Pens with gorgeous permanent inks..

#336 Blue_Moon

Blue_Moon

Pen Quest

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2014 - 00:25

The problem with this thread is that there is almost no one reporting any problems with the pen. When it arrived I was thrilled but as soon as I started writing more than a few sentences it just didn't live up to the expectations. I searched outside of the forum and found a few people reporting this same issue. That is why I thought it necessary to post it here. So I really believe that there IS a reason to "complain" about it on the forum, as you put it.

Edit: I do realize that it is simply a bad luck to get a faulty pen. I do not blame anyone, this is not rant, I just think it can be always just as useful to hear negative comments on pens as well as positive, that's all.

The problem is that in reporting it on this forum, you failed to report that you had already had contact with Mr. Ford, and that he had graciously offered to make things right - any way possible. That leads people to believe that you were stuck with a faulty pen, which is not the case. I can understand you wanting to report your own experience, but you only reported some of your experience - not the whole experience, which is Mr. Ford's willingness to do what is necessary to make you happy.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

#337 Ludevit

Ludevit

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:50

The problem is that in reporting it on this forum, you failed to report that you had already had contact with Mr. Ford, and that he had graciously offered to make things right - any way possible. That leads people to believe that you were stuck with a faulty pen, which is not the case. I can understand you wanting to report your own experience, but you only reported some of your experience - not the whole experience, which is Mr. Ford's willingness to do what is necessary to make you happy.

Yes I see what you mean. Not at all my intention, my apologies if my initial post gave anyone such impression. I will report back once the problem is resolved.

#338 Fabienne

Fabienne

Et nunc, aliquid plene diversum!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:52

Yes I see what you mean. Not at all my intention, my apologies if my initial post gave anyone such impression. I will report back once the problem is resolved.

From the post above, regarding both sides, this is why I come back to FPN for my social kick. It is truly refreshing to read adult well bred discourse rather than suffer through juvenile drama for the love of a concept. I never hesitate recommending FPN to anyone who is interested. I never recommended forums where people badly behaved no matter how much I liked the product. So good for everyone on this thread, and thanks to the mods and admins who keep the tone. 

So saying I will probably bop someone with a virtual beer bottle over some fine point one day :lol: , BUT I do want to say three cheers for good behavior.

monamonamonalil.jpg

#339 knarflj

knarflj

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 13:35

From the post above, regarding both sides, this is why I come back to FPN for my social kick. It is truly refreshing to read adult well bred discourse rather than suffer through juvenile drama for the love of a concept. I never hesitate recommending FPN to anyone who is interested. I never recommended forums where people badly behaved no matter how much I liked the product. So good for everyone on this thread, and thanks to the mods and admins who keep the tone. 

+1!

"To read without also writing is to sleep." - St. Jerome

#340 Theo Moore

Theo Moore

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 16:36

I'm looking to get some quick advice on this thread from Parson's Essential users. Last Christmas, I bought a few of the Italix pens for my friends, all in fine cursive stub. I was very surprised by the thickness of what arrived, however, which I would call a medium to a medium-broad.

Although we are a bit past 30 days, Peter Ford has kindly allowed a change of all three pens. However, because we already took the finest option, I wonder whether specifying a fine round will be any better. 

Here is a picture sent to me by the recipient. The Parson's is top, followed by a 0.5 pt tip pen, and regular ballpoint pen. 

4AOcYxI.jpg

I am hoping that it was Ford's grinding it into a stub that made the tip so thick, and if we go with a regular fine, it should be smaller. 

For comparison, here is papabear's picture, from this post:

14281132317_c59698d8c7_c.jpg

Notice that the fine stubs we used to create our picture look even broader than the broad stub above. Though I don't have the pens myself, I can confirm that before I gave them, the thicknesses you see is representative over different inks and papers.

I'm quite confused about what I should be asking---to me, a fine round is probably the safest choice, but I don't understand how our fine stub is so much thicker.

#341 perfaddict

perfaddict

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2015 - 17:09

My handwritten comments on what has fast become one of my favourite pens:

Attached Images

• 220115.jpg

Edited by perfaddict, 07 February 2015 - 17:14.

#342 perfaddict

perfaddict

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2015 - 17:09

Edited by perfaddict, 07 February 2015 - 17:12.

#343 papabear16

papabear16

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 17:12

I'm looking to get some quick advice on this thread from Parson's Essential users. Last Christmas, I bought a few of the Italix pens for my friends, all in fine cursive stub. I was very surprised by the thickness of what arrived, however, which I would call a medium to a medium-broad.

Although we are a bit past 30 days, Peter Ford has kindly allowed a change of all three pens. However, because we already took the finest option, I wonder whether specifying a fine round will be any better. 

Here is a picture sent to me by the recipient. The Parson's is top, followed by a 0.5 pt tip pen, and regular ballpoint pen. 

4AOcYxI.jpg

I am hoping that it was Ford's grinding it into a stub that made the tip so thick, and if we go with a regular fine, it should be smaller. 

For comparison, here is papabear's picture, from this post:

14281132317_c59698d8c7_c.jpg

Notice that the fine stubs we used to create our picture look even broader than the broad stub above. Though I don't have the pens myself, I can confirm that before I gave them, the thicknesses you see is representative over different inks and papers.

I'm quite confused about what I should be asking---to me, a fine round is probably the safest choice, but I don't understand how our fine stub is so much thicker.

Thickness is always a tricky issue, because not only is it tough to compare different pictures (unless something is there to provide scale), but paper and ink can make a huge difference.

I will try to remember tonight to give you a writing sample of Parson's (which lives at home, on top of my journal) and my Pelikan with a .6 mm Binder stub. (The problem is that I am pretty sure it's .6, but it may have been .8.) Anyway, I think the Parson's writes a little thicker on both strokes than does the Pelikan.

I've never had a round Italix nib, so I cannot compare. But I have to assume that stubbing any round point creates a thicker downstroke, so switching to a round nib should give you a finer line all the way around. But that's just a guess on my part.

Good luck, and as you've already discovered, Mr. Ford's service is excellent. In fact, I'm thinking of ordering another Parson's from him soon (I'm a righty who wants to try an oblique italic for the left-handed).

Girls say they want a guy with serious ink, but then pretend to be bored when I show off all my fancy fountain pens. ~ Jason Gelles

#344 Theo Moore

Theo Moore

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 20:18

Thickness is always a tricky issue, because not only is it tough to compare different pictures (unless something is there to provide scale), but paper and ink can make a huge difference.

I will try to remember tonight to give you a writing sample of Parson's (which lives at home, on top of my journal) and my Pelikan with a .6 mm Binder stub. (The problem is that I am pretty sure it's .6, but it may have been .8.) Anyway, I think the Parson's writes a little thicker on both strokes than does the Pelikan.

I've never had a round Italix nib, so I cannot compare. But I have to assume that stubbing any round point creates a thicker downstroke, so switching to a round nib should give you a finer line all the way around. But that's just a guess on my part.

Good luck, and as you've already discovered, Mr. Ford's service is excellent. In fact, I'm thinking of ordering another Parson's from him soon (I'm a righty who wants to try an oblique italic for the left-handed).

Thanks! I'd appreciate a follow-up once you can get that comparison. 

It would be great if someone else could confirm that the fine round would likely be thinner than the fine stub. Like you, I believed that the grinding removing the ball likely makes it thicker. 

#345 Martinsroom

Martinsroom

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2015 - 20:32

I am almost certain a round will give you a finer line. I have a fine cursive stub and find it a wonderful nib to use but I appreciate that the round would create a finer line across the range of strokes.

#346 papabear16

papabear16

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 03:02

Hopefully this helps. I was a bit surprised by the results, as my Parson's looks finer here than it does in my journal. But as I said, paper, ink, etc. all have an effect.

16282829049_4b807383b4_z.jpg2015-02-07 by papabear163, on Flickr

Girls say they want a guy with serious ink, but then pretend to be bored when I show off all my fancy fountain pens. ~ Jason Gelles

#347 Theo Moore

Theo Moore

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 21:33

I am almost certain a round will give you a finer line. I have a fine cursive stub and find it a wonderful nib to use but I appreciate that the round would create a finer line across the range of strokes.

Hopefully this helps. I was a bit surprised by the results, as my Parson's looks finer here than it does in my journal. But as I said, paper, ink, etc. all have an effect.

Thank you to both of you. I've advised my friends to exchange their three nibs for a round. It is strange that their fine stubs ended up so much thicker than papabear's (even accounting for variation in ink and paper). I can only conclude that there is some variation in the grinding that resulted in the different thicknesses. 

#348 hbdk

hbdk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 February 2015 - 22:35

As stated before - I have had rather hard starts and constant skipping problems with my Italix Parson's Essential. Sending a pen from Denmark to the UK, signed for, would cost me £17 - and is really not an option for a pen this price class - especially not with the risk of just getting a refund - shipping lost both ways, right!? So I ordered another complete section, simply because I liked the pen and the nib too much to just give up - same problem; no matter what paper, ink, cartridge or converter I tried - until I finally solved the skipping and hard start problem - with a Waterman converter - it now works like a charm with both sections/nibs and most any ink. Kind of weird, but nice to have solved it at last. £5 well spent...

Just thought you might like to know... :)

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

#349 papabear16

papabear16

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 16:06

As stated before - I have had rather hard starts and constant skipping problems with my Italix Parson's Essential. Sending a pen from Denmark to the UK, signed for, would cost me £17 - and is really not an option for a pen this price class - especially not with the risk of just getting a refund - shipping lost both ways, right!? So I ordered another complete section, simply because I liked the pen and the nib too much to just give up - same problem; no matter what paper, ink, cartridge or converter I tried - until I finally solved the skipping and hard start problem - with a Waterman converter - it now works like a charm with both sections/nibs and most any ink. Kind of weird, but nice to have solved it at last. £5 well spent...

Just thought you might like to know... :)

I didn't have much problem with this issue, but after one of the converters leaked, I swapped all of my Italix converters for Schmidts, and they worked wonderfully.