Montblanc Meisterstück 146 1940's - 1970's (Including The Rare Transitional Model)

Michael R.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael R.

• siamackz

• jar

• CS388

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A Very nice and informative post Michael. BTW, has anyone found the 146s fitted with the solid, non split HR feed, without groove on the sloping face?

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

What an excellent post. Thanks, Michael. Beautiful shots, too.

The 146 deserves this much attention.

I wouldn't want the MB forum to be overburdened with pinned topics, but I agree with previous posters that this is worthy of being pinned - as a guide to this popular model.

Many thanks for all of your nice comments! It was my pleasure to do this write-up on such a great pen model.

When you speak of the 1950s nibs as flexible, do you mean they perform like:

[...]

or is it a springiness?

I just on my way back from a great Nürnberg pen show but I will post some writing samples during the next days.

Compared to the very flexible nibs of the 1920's I'd say some vintage Montblanc nibs are inbetween a true, major flex and springiness.

Not all nibs are flexible but most are at least spingy.

[...] BTW, has anyone found the 146s fitted with the solid, non split HR feed, without groove on the sloping face?

You mean like the one listed in the "dating the 149"-chart between "round ebonite grooves face" and "split ebonite"? ...no; not so far.

I've seen 6 different feeds on the 146 series so far:

• flat ebonite (celluloid model)
  • round ebonite grooves face and shank (celluloid & transitional model)
  • split ebonite feed (1970's model with monotone ink window)
  • early plastic (1970's-1980's model with monotone nib and grey window & later short version with striped window and two-tone nib)
  • plastic (short version with striped window and two-tone nibs & long version with striped window and two-tone nib)
  • modern plastic (current long version; c. > 2000/02)

Cheers

Michael

very good and informative post :thumbup: beautiful collection :notworthy1:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Wonderful. The 146 grew in the seventies and not the eighties as I thought.

I have a MB 234 1/2 Deluxe ('52-55; mine a '55 due to the change in feed) KOB. Standard size.

The nib is a wonderful semi-flex. Due to the nib, back weighting balance and girth, my number 1 pen.

I have a number of German '50's-65, some late 30's and some '40's war pens, some with superb German semi-flex and somewhat flexible/'flexi', gold and steel nibs. Others are good but a tad less than the best, Soennecken, MB, Osmia, Pelikan and Geha nibs.

My modern Virginia Wolf nib wise can only get to #12 of my better nibs.

I definitely, would have an interest in the medium-large 146 of the '52-65 semi-flex and somewhat flexible/'flexi' nib time.

Even a '50-s-65 Vintage 149 would be of interest some day; now, over sized pens don't interest me. Nothing modern though.

I have a modern MB, I don't need another. It is a very nice pen, it is just too bad that MB does not offer the quality of nib it offered in the '50-65' era.

It is a pen brand that should offer the 'extra' for those who wish the best. I am sure many would pay for that 'extra' were it available.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thank you very much for this excellent photo essay. It adds a great deal to our understanding of the 140 series of fountain pens

Fantastic post for MB146.:thumbup: Thank you so much. Wish you the very best. Htin

Patron of Art Marquise de Pompadour 2001 LE 0043/4810.

Donation SE John Lennon Imagine FP (M) Nib Serial No.BW195873

Donation LE Johann Sebastian Bach 2001(M) Nib. serial no. 2892/12000.

Donation SE Yehudi Menuhin No 3772 (EF)Nib

Writers Limited Edition Mark Twain 2010(M)Nib. serial no.3633/12000.

1985 Meisterstuck 149(EF) & Modern149(OB), 147 Traveler (M) Sp.Edition 1970-1995 Warner Bros Music Artist 146 (M). Mozart (F). 144 Stainless Steel Doue (M), Le Boherme Rouge(M)

• 1 month later...

Does Monblanc 146 with celluloid body and hard rubber cap? I saw a faded cap - dark gray. Sounds like hard rubber, but I'm not sure. If damaged celluloid with some preparation so is it possible to polish?

beautiful and useful post.

i've one 146 and more i've traded.

IMHO the best pen....more than 149 :gaah: :gaah:

...more kills the pen than the sword ... as long as the nib is very sharp ....

Does Monblanc 146 with celluloid body and hard rubber cap? I saw a faded cap - dark gray. Sounds like hard rubber, but I'm not sure. If damaged celluloid with some preparation so is it possible to polish?

Not that I know of. Also I cannot imagine that MB still used hardrubber for their Meisterstueck pens in the late 1940's or 1950's.

Maybe this was replacement part?

Michael

The cap looks like the rest of the '50s. But it is dark gray in color and not shiny. It may be treated with a detergent. :unsure:

I have a transitional 146 "export model", with "Masterpiece" instead of "Meisterstück" written on the cap ring. OBB - OBBB nib (in my limited understanding) too.

I was wondering if anyone reading this thread could give some more info on such a pen, as info around the net is very, very scarce. On that note, thanks to Michael R. and Tom Westerlich for the two most enlightening threads on the transitional 146.

Once I get a free couple hours, I'll try to do a photoshoot of my pen and post it for you to see.

• 4 weeks later...

Kudos to Michael for putting together such an impressive, comprehensive post for the benefit of the whole collecting community.

For the information of those of us who don't speak german, the caption under the 146 "Für die Hand des Herrn in verantwortlicher Stellung" means more or less "for the man in charge". Fitting, isn't it ?

Edited by badcaps270

MB 149 with three-colour M nib, pen stand, blotter

MB 149 with three-colour M nib, slit slightly off, leather cigar case

MB 146, clear blue ink window, 18K yellow F/M nib, crystal inkwell

MB 146, striated ink window, 18K yellow fine nib, MB 147, M nib, leather case,

Voltaire WE with Bernstein clip and 149 star, M nib

166 yellow, 166 green, 1x161, 2x167, a couple of 164/163's, Platinum solitaire signum BP

And a couple of Lamy, Pelikan, and Rotring calligraphic pens

The latest issue of a Japanese magazine on fountain pens, "Shumi no bungubako" (Vol. 20) has a special article on the genealogy of MB 146. This article contains a lot of pictures to illuminate differences of MB 146s from 1940s to the present.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Enjoyed it immensely, Michael. And special thanks because just yesterday I acquired my first 146 (My 16th Montblanc, mostly from the 70's-80's), a pen I never was interested in before, being a 149 fanatic since the 60's and always having considered the 146 a weak little sister of the Great 149. I have now seen the light. Mine is in all details exactly like your 70's model, and that allowed me to place it in its chronological place among my other Montblancs. Thanks again.

hi, thanks a lot Mr. Michael R for your wonderful posting on this MB 146, yea....I agree with you exactly This 146 should be of colleccible concern and I have realized this about a decade ago, I did'nt buy a 149 but I bought a 146 instead. last month I gave it to my son-in-law.