24 replies to this topic

#1 threeamigos

threeamigos

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 18:10

I picked up a couple Arc notebooks from Staples. The paper is nice, but I just noticed that Levenger has Clairfontaine paper for the Circa notebook. Will the Circa refills fit the Arc system? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

#2 dapv

dapv

dapv

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2011 - 20:00

I'm a long-time Levenger fan and it's my understanding that Circa and Arc are interchangeable. That said, I have had the opportunity to look at the Arc and could not find a way to justify the price with Circa. I should also mention that I have not purchased the Arc. Levenger's reputation, guarantee, variety, etc clearly plays into the higher priced Levenger's Circa, but Circa is a substantial price hike from Arc.
CFTPM

#3 SheilaM

SheilaM

Parrot Wrangler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2011 - 00:46

I have some of both, and, yes, they are completely interchangeable as far as I can tell. I am running both junior- and letter-sized notebooks currently that are both blends of the two systems.

The Levenger Rhodia paper has the classic hard Rhodia finish and the purple ruling. I wish they had just a plain rule, but all they're offering is their odd note-taking ruling where half the paper (vertically) is blank. Yuck.

The Arc paper isn't of the same quality, but I find it acceptable for FPs of pretty much every description.

The Arc system stuff isn't quite as nice as the Levenger but it's perfectly acceptable and markedly less expensive. Some if it (the plastic notebook covers and inserts, for example) is close to the same quality.

If I was looking for more things to go with this system, I'd start with the Arc stuff before I went to Levenger, mostly for cost issues.

Hope this helps a bit!
"Expect a most agreeable letter, for not being overburdened with subject (having nothing at all to say), I shall have no check to my genius from beginning to end." --Jane Austen

Posted Image
My blog: Does This Pen Make Me Look Fat? Twitter: @penfatness Instagram: sheilamcl Pinterest: SheilaM

#4 JefferyS

JefferyS

"Don't tase me, bro!"

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2011 - 00:52

I have only Circa. I like the Rhodia Circa paper better than the Levenger paper. In the letter-size Circa, I use HP Premium laser paper and punch Circa holes in it (or Hammermill color copy paper if I need heavier paper), and go with the Rhodia for the smaller size Circa. I cannot complain about the quality of the Circa hardware at all. I wish the Leverger paper was a bit less feathery. But I love the Circa notecard and smaller sized systems. The translucent binder stuff is excellent. I have all of my lecture notes on Circa paper, and it is nice to be able to stick just about any size insert between my lecture pages (graphs, tables, etc.) that I can refer to during lectures.
Jeffery
In the Irish Channel of
New Orleans, LA

#5 threeamigos

threeamigos

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:42

Thanks for the replies. Nice to know that the systems are interchangeable since Levenger offers many accessories and refill options.

#6 JefferyS

JefferyS

"Don't tase me, bro!"

• Moderators

• 3,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:56

The system is definitely fussy, but FP users love fussy. After being a caffeine manic overacheiver for decades, it's nice to use things slowly and deliberately. Levenger has a $40 Circa sampler that comes with a $40 gift card. Get it while you can.
Jeffery
In the Irish Channel of
New Orleans, LA

#7 dapv

dapv

dapv

• Member - Gold

• 1,229 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2011 - 00:45

"After being a caffeine manic over-acheiver for decades, it's nice to use things slowly and deliberately."

U R ME
The coffee I have already consumed will keep me awake for decades to come.

Edited by dapv, 09 June 2011 - 00:46.

CFTPM

#8 Avetikus

Avetikus

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:13

Any Rollabind products you get are also interchangeable with both Circa and Arc.

I find the Arc paper to be a little better than the Circa stuff, and the Rhodia head and shoulders above that.

So.. Staples Arc it is. Class notes aren't important enough to me to be worth the price increase for Rhodia paper. Now just to find a punch for a decent price.

M
-Av
"Spend all you want! We'll print more!" - B. S. (What's a Weimar?) Bernanke

#9 CatBookMom

CatBookMom

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2011 - 21:30

Any Rollabind products you get are also interchangeable with both Circa and Arc.

I find the Arc paper to be a little better than the Circa stuff, and the Rhodia head and shoulders above that.

So.. Staples Arc it is. Class notes aren't important enough to me to be worth the price increase for Rhodia paper. Now just to find a punch for a decent price.

M
-Av

It's been posted here at FPN (different discussions of the ARC notebooks) that Staples have said they'd have a punch out this summer. Haven't seen any update on that in a month or so. I popped for the $40 punch from Levenger. It's a much more complicated piece of equipment than the ordinary sort of hole punch, so maybe Staples are having trouble with the design.

#10 Avetikus

Avetikus

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2011 - 00:14

It's been posted here at FPN (different discussions of the ARC notebooks) that Staples have said they'd have a punch out this summer. Haven't seen any update on that in a month or so. I popped for the $40 punch from Levenger. It's a much more complicated piece of equipment than the ordinary sort of hole punch, so maybe Staples are having trouble with the design.

I'm also hoping to see a Staples Arc punch become available but unfortunately I'm only seeing the Levenger one and that for 69.00 when I do a search.

fleaBay has a punch or two up; I'll only bid so high, so maybe Staples will release theirs before I finally win one.

-Av
"Spend all you want! We'll print more!" - B. S. (What's a Weimar?) Bernanke

#11 JefferyS

JefferyS

"Don't tase me, bro!"

• Moderators

• 3,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2011 - 00:16

I guess I'm impressed with what a big, heavy piece of equipment the Levenger punch is. I can't believe that it is inexpensive to make. I hope it outlives me. But I'm thinking of getting a second one for work. I really love the Circa system.
Jeffery
In the Irish Channel of
New Orleans, LA

#12 CatBookMom

CatBookMom

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2011 - 00:24

I'm also hoping to see a Staples Arc punch become available but unfortunately I'm only seeing the Levenger one and that for 69.00 when I do a search.

fleaBay has a punch or two up; I'll only bid so high, so maybe Staples will release theirs before I finally win one.

-Av

This is the punch I bought.

#13 JefferyS

JefferyS

"Don't tase me, bro!"

• Moderators

• 3,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2011 - 00:25

That's the "portable" one. The more expensive one is big enough to use as a lethal weapon. Way better than a fireplace poker.

Edited by Jeffery Smith, 10 June 2011 - 00:26.

Jeffery
In the Irish Channel of
New Orleans, LA

#14 CatBookMom

CatBookMom

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2011 - 00:30

That's the "portable" one. The more expensive one is big enough to use as a lethal weapon. Way better than a fireplace poker.

:lol: I thought that was probably the case. The Franklin Covey hole punches are built like that, useful as paperweights.

#15 JefferyS

JefferyS

"Don't tase me, bro!"

• Moderators

• 3,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2011 - 00:31

:lol: I thought that was probably the case. The Franklin Covey hole punches are built like that, useful as paperweights.

I have that too. They are lame compared to the killing power of the Levenger. Posted Image

Edited by Jeffery Smith, 10 June 2011 - 00:32.

Jeffery
In the Irish Channel of
New Orleans, LA

#16 NateB

NateB

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:40

Here is a picture comparing the Levenger punch to a $10 3-hole punch.

Posted Image

The Arc notebook covers, tabbed dividers, and storage pockets are about 3/8" wider than their Levenger counterparts.

Edited by NateB, 10 June 2011 - 12:50.

#17 JefferyS

JefferyS

"Don't tase me, bro!"

• Moderators

• 3,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2011 - 15:57

We have four things in common:
fountain pens
three hole punches
Circa punchers
Tivoli radio with stereo speakers
Jeffery
In the Irish Channel of
New Orleans, LA

#18 Sh.Andrews

Sh.Andrews

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2011 - 22:30

+1 on recommending the Circa system (and the heavy desk punch) but I would advise all to stay away from Levenger branded paper. The feathering is unbearable. I was not aware of the Rhodia alternative from Levenger or the Arc from Staples - must check them out. Thanks.

#19 ninly

ninly

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2011 - 22:57

I've been using an junior-size Arc as a desktop list repository & informal jotter at work for a couple months now. I love it, and can't imagine the "Levenger tax" is worth the upgrade to me, considering what I use the book for.

That said, I have strongly considered springing for a Circa punch ever since learning that they're compatible. I'm glad to hear Staples may come out with a competitive product (it was definitely not in the store this weekend, or I'd have one!). I am kinda nutsy about building custom page fillers, and would probably broaden my use of the notebook (and maybe buy another cover) if I could pick and print the paper. I have no complaints about the quality of the Arc-branded paper, though.

#20 Treecat

Treecat

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:27

I'm getting concerned about Staples support of the ARC system. They had planned to have a punch out this Spring, but it hasn't appeared yet. It's still hard to find some of the paper refills in my local store. I've held off on buying a Levenger punch but but may get one if a Staples punch isn't available by late Summer or the Fall.

#21 ninly

ninly

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2011 - 13:10

I'm getting concerned about Staples support of the ARC system. ...

This concern has occurred to me, too. Staples has a few locations in my area, and mileage varies widely depending on which one you go to. The one I consider best, though, has maintained their stock in notebooks and refills consistently; hopefully that's indicative of something (though it isn't the most convenient location for me to shop at).

#22 Joshua Perz

Joshua Perz

Because it tells me to!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2011 - 20:56

+1 on recommending the Circa system (and the heavy desk punch) but I would advise all to stay away from Levenger branded paper. The feathering is unbearable. I was not aware of the Rhodia alternative from Levenger or the Arc from Staples - must check them out. Thanks.

Levenger's been changing their paper lately to 90 gsm. I'm planning to buy some full-ruled for Circa to test it out. Their old paper was, as you say, terrible.

Edited by Joshua Perz, 26 June 2011 - 21:00.

#23 Joshua Perz

Joshua Perz

Because it tells me to!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2011 - 20:59

double post

Edited by Joshua Perz, 26 June 2011 - 21:00.

#24 teeniebeenie6

teeniebeenie6

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2011 - 22:03

I own a bunch of Levenger's leather foldovers in all different sizes that I got cheaply over the last couple of years on their ebay outlet (before they upped the outlet prices). I went to Staples a while back to check out the Arc system and was super impressed, I think their foldovers are just as nice as Levengers. I like the feel of the Arc paper better but dislike the smaller punch holes. I punch my own paper. I buy all my plastic covers, dividers and task pads from Staples now, they are great quality and MUCH cheaper then Circa. Personally I prefer to support Staples as they are providing a great product for so much cheaper so even us poor folks can afford it. I hope they sell enough to keep providing it. If I ever buy another leather foldover it will definitely come from Staples. I don't plan on getting the Staples punch though, if it surfaces because I am guessing it will punch smaller holes to match its paper. I own Levengers old punch that punches smaller holes but plan on getting the new improved, bigger hole punch eventually as I find the bigger hole paper lasts longer as the edges of the punch hole aren't constantly dragging on the discs.

#25 krbmsw

krbmsw

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2011 - 14:13

According to the Arc Facebook page, a Staples punch is coming out this fall.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
— Dr. Seuss