Ditching Clairefontaine...

I've finally come to a point where I just can't use Clairefontaine paper anymore... I used to love it but that love faded quickly. IT seems to have some really bad qualities that others don't notice. I wonder if it's just me. unsure.gif

That CF smooth paper is great for feel but it resists my ink, takes forever to dry, and makes my excellent pens skip. Has anybody else had this experience?

I'm beginning to prefer paper with texture - almost rough even. I just tried one of CTF's Hit-List notebooks and instantly fell in love with the paper. It's thick and heavy, gently textured, not too bright white. In short - perfect!

Anybody have the same feelings about Clairefontaine paper as me? Seems like everybody has such high marks for it as I did when I first used it. Now I'm not so sure...

Regards,

P.S. - Lets not let this topic get out of hand please... I don't want to argue and have it closed by mods. I just want some honest opinions and shared experiences. thumbup.gif

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jniforat

• KrazyIvan

• mcnoodle

Tyler, I agree completely. IMHO, Clairefontaine and Rhodia have been relegated to Moleskin-esque paper. Sure, neither of the former paper's mentioned bleed-through, but as someone that is left-handed, the paper is less than optimal. I don't want to have to only use really fast drying ink for such expensive paper. Besides, I buy Alvina Saray Paper (even if it is made in Turkey :glare: ), which is EXACTLY like Rhodia paper, but MUCH less expensive if one buys four or five pads at a time (it's just the shipping costs that are annoying, but my bookstore sells them so i don't have to worry about shipping. even at the university's bookstore markup, the Alvin paper is still cheaper and the exact same quality).

Of course, I'll probably buy a Dot Webbie just to have it, but I'm content with my Alvin Paper (if i want to use Rhodia-like paper), HP 24 / 32lb, and now CTF's HitList. CTF has created the perfect notebook, and I can't wait to see how this line develops.

I know what you mean.

Sometimes the pages feel greasy and ridiculously smooth.

So, great for my toothier pens with finer nibs, but the paper is a detriment to larger nibs.

To hold a pen is to be at war

-Voltaire

I agree that Clairefontaine isn't always ideal. I've found that it's better with some pens than with others. Still, I use Moleskine and I'll continue to use Clairefontaine. I prefer sketch paper, more than any other :)

Tamara

Hi,

I am not going to ditch the Clairefontaine Triomphe.

But I am not using nearly as much of that paper as I thought I would, which is simply a matter of preference, rather than performance.

I agree that is does not suit every situation - no paper does. And it is not a 'default' paper by any stretch of the imagination - it is an 'on purpose' chosen paper.

• Too slick for some pen+ink combos - loss of precise control.
  • Impossible with some flex nibs (railroading), and those with even an itty-bitty bit of baby bottom (skipping).
  • Some inks take beyond forever to dry.
  • Is a personal favourite when using narrow nibs.
  • Can maximise shading and crispness of line. (Astounding with the i-g inks.)

OBTW, if one is looking for a top-tier paper that is heavy with a wee bit of tooth, the G Lalo 'Velin de France' may be of interest. LINK

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Well, at least I now know that I'm not the only one of this opinion... I agree with most-all of the comments made. CF paper certainly has its good points. They just weren't outweighing the bad for me...

Regards,

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Hi,

I am not going to ditch the Clairefontaine Triomphe.

But I am not using nearly as much of that paper as I thought I would, which is simply a matter of preference, rather than performance.

I agree that is does not suit every situation - no paper does. And it is not a 'default' paper by any stretch of the imagination - it is an 'on purpose' chosen paper.

• Too slick for some pen+ink combos - loss of precise control.
  • Impossible with some flex nibs (railroading), and those with even an itty-bitty bit of baby bottom (skipping).
  • Some inks take beyond forever to dry.
  • Is a personal favourite when using narrow nibs.
  • Can maximise shading and crispness of line. (Astounding with the i-g inks.)

OBTW, if one is looking for a top-tier paper that is heavy with a wee bit of tooth, the G Lalo 'Velin de France' may be of interest. LINK

Bye,

S1

+1 I'd add Lalo Verge de France and the Strathmore 25% Cotton Writing Wove to the list of alternatives (n.b., the Ivory and Natural White have a little more tooth than the Bright White and Ultimate White).

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

I haven't tried this paper in any form, yet. Any suggestions for a good, reasonably priced supplier in the UK?

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

You describe my experiences with Clairefontaine, especially the skipping! Drove me crazy, so I gave up and I'm now back using Moleskine. /the bleed through isn't that bad and I can pick up a large on Amazon Prime (free 2 day shipping) for $9-12. Way cheaper than CF.

Atomic Leo

You describe my experiences with Clairefontaine, especially the skipping! Drove me crazy, so I gave up and I'm now back using Moleskine. /the bleed through isn't that bad and I can pick up a large on Amazon Prime (free 2 day shipping) for $9-12. Way cheaper than CF.

Yea, I used to use these awesome moleskine knock-offs from wal-mart. I believe they were mead but markings also makes some that are identical. They are about $9.00 and of course no shipping at the store.

Regards,

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Being a left-handed over writer, I agree with many of the points, but i am not giving up my Rhodia Circa Annotation paper. I write with a sheet of blotting paper under my hand to prevent bleeding. I have found that I have a similar experience with the HP 32# Presentation bond as well. The crispness of the written lines, coupled with the subdued nature of the printed lines keeps me coming back for more. For practicing my penmanship, nothing beats Seyes ruled paper.

http://www.nerdtests.com/images/ft/nq/9df5e10593.gif

-- Avatar Courtesy of Brian Goulet of Goulet Pens (thank you for allowing people to use the logo Brian!) --

I have never had the skipping issue. :unsure:

I find it odd no one has mentioned blotter paper???? That is exactly what it's for. I also think the skipping issue may be because you are resting your hand on the paper. The blotter paper also cures this. I bought full sheets of blotter paper and cut them down to size for my notebooks. I use them as bookmarks also. Basically, just use the paper to soak up the extra ink. Rest your hand on the blotter paper instead of the page, as you write and you solve the skipping issue too.

granted, this does not solve the lefties issues. :(

Edited by KrazyIvan

All depends on which CF you are using

I find Triomphe a little too 'slick', but the vellum in 90gsm webnotebooks it just perfect!

Please visit my new pen and ink/pen box site at www.boxesandpens.co.uk

Hand made boxes to store and display your favourite pens.

10% discount for FPN members

I've had some similar experiences with CF. I've shifted towards a cheap comp book with paper made in Brazil. Good feel, minimal bleed through, and it grabs the pen just enough that I get feedback. I'm not saying CF needs to hit the rubbish bin, but I figure that this is part of the fun. I'm still in the learning what I like stage. Right now slow drying paper/ink combos does not rank high on my favorite list. That's a bigger issue for me than bleed through for now.

Well my experience of Moleskine and 4001 ink has been really good, so I think I'll stick with them. Fantastic price on Amazon UK too.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

To laundry list some of the vices people are apparently having with CF, here is my take.

Skipping: None, never. As someone who writes exclusively with flex nibs, and dip pens, I cannot, in good conscience, say that has ever happened.

Smoothness and lack of control: I suppose with certain people, it would be a problem, with myself, it's mandatory. I want absolutely NO feedback from the nib or paper. My arm does the rest.

Long dry times: Blotting paper, people. It really works.

I have a great affinity for everything about CF, the EXTREME smoothness of the paper, the painfully bright whiteness of it, alas, I don't love the price of it. Nevertheless, it's the perfect paper in my opinion.

I hear many suggest blotting paper. The thing is for me at least - It's just another thing to carry around and have to buy. Why buy blotting paper when you could just have a notebook that dries quickly.

I did a test between CTF's Hit List and a CF duo notebook. The ink was the notorious PR Sherwood Green. Check out my dry times:

HitList - 5 seconds! notworthy1.gif

Clairefontaine - 30 seconds... gaah.gif

I really prefer the fast drying paper for when I need to jot down a quick note and then throw my notebook in a bag or on the desk.

YMMV

Regards,

FPN%252520banner.jpg

but i just want to write with my pen and the notebook in front of me without having to use blotting paper too...just my opinion, though :)

I hear many suggest blotting paper. The thing is for me at least - It's just another thing to carry around and have to buy. Why buy blotting paper when you could just have a notebook that dries quickly.

I did a test between CTF's Hit List and a CF duo notebook. The ink was the notorious PR Sherwood Green. Check out my dry times:

HitList - 5 seconds! notworthy1.gif

Clairefontaine - 30 seconds... gaah.gif

I really prefer the fast drying paper for when I need to jot down a quick note and then throw my notebook in a bag or on the desk.

YMMV

Regards,

my thoughts, too. i bring my Pilot VP, a 5mL vial of ink just in case I run out (for any of my pens since i always seem to forget), and then i have my notebooks. now i need to carry blotting paper too? to each his or her own. i think the concept of blotting paper is a great; however, i just don't want to carry another accessory.