Comparison Of Real Vs. Fake Montblanc [Pic Heavy]

ecox

Is it possible to recognise a fake mont blanc from the writing experience. Is the fake one scratchy?

It's possible but not infallable. I have some fake Starwalkers. Write very smoothly. To tell a good fake typically takes a number of things that, taken together, will expose a fake for what it is.

My Starwalkers were easy to spot as they had a generic iridium point germany nib. Had the nib been well done in appearance then it would've come down to a couple of mistakes... the stars tend to be a little off center (a lot off center on a couple of them) and they laser etched a serial number on the clip... the Starwalker doesn't have this.

It is a well done fake otherwise though. They are getting better...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gmrza

• ecox

• hari317

• jotterius

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great article, enlightening to say the least.

I read it carefully and lots of times to understand if my new Meisterstuck 146 (from an overally reliable collector) was genuine.

I went through the various tests although I think that the most important test is the... touch/sight personal test.

Anyway this morning I brought the pen to the Montblanc Firenze boutique as well, the manager confirmed the pen to be certainly authentic.

It lacks the PIX logo on the clip's underside (maybe it's from past 1997? Seller couldn't say for sure) and the "germany" and "serial number" writings appeared to be not exactly in line with each other. By just a small fraction of a millimeter, roughly (had to use a lens).

The gentle Montblanc woman told me that's due to the machine they use to do such writings, and that all the pens look like mine in that regard.

200 euros was an average price, I believe.

Edited by Raskolnikov

I have taken a couple of images of my Chopin using a Canon Powershot G5 which has been modified for infrared use.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2799/5844754026_f9248a1e16_z.jpg

Higher resolution versions of the image can be viewed via Flickr. I will upload a few more later.

While this image doesn't show it very well, there are considerable differences on the cap between the fake Mont Blanc and the genuine article. These differences only appear to be visible under in infrared light.

What also crossed my mind is that given that the pen is transparent to IT light, what is the impact of IR light on ink? Is the stability of inks affected by infrared light? I must admit I have no idea. In this instance, my pen is filled with Mont Blanc Burgundy ink - which very clearly absorbs strongly in the infrared part of the spectrum.

What did you use to test the resonance?

I have taken a couple of images of my Chopin using a Canon Powershot G5 which has been modified for infrared use.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2799/5844754026_f9248a1e16_z.jpg

Higher resolution versions of the image can be viewed via Flickr. I will upload a few more later.

While this image doesn't show it very well, there are considerable differences on the cap between the fake Mont Blanc and the genuine article. These differences only appear to be visible under in infrared light.

What also crossed my mind is that given that the pen is transparent to IT light, what is the impact of IR light on ink? Is the stability of inks affected by infrared light? I must admit I have no idea. In this instance, my pen is filled with Mont Blanc Burgundy ink - which very clearly absorbs strongly in the infrared part of the spectrum.

The original poster did that. I unfortunately haven't tried out measuring resonance.

The original poster did that. I unfortunately haven't tried out measuring resonance.

How did I test the resonance? I tapped the side of the cap with a coin while I was recording it as a .wav file with a high-quality mic. I then ran the .wav file through a spectrum analyzer program I have on my computer.

Really scary to see how close that chopin is to the real deal...makes me want to go check mine :)

"Semper Ubi Sub Ubi"

Really scary to see how close that chopin is to the real deal...makes me want to go check mine :)

Looking again at fmp's photo and photos I have taken, it is clear that the internal structure of the fake's feed and section are very different to the real MB. While transparency to IR light is not an indicator of whether the pen is genuine or not, it appears that the information that is revealed under IR light about the pen's internal structure can be a good indicator! Oh, and in my case, a good indication that my pen needs more cleaning!

G.

Heck of a post!

Makes you wonder what middle priced nice pens the faker company could have made, if they make such a high quality resin for their MB fakes

The voice of this guitar of mine, at the awakening of the morning, wants to sing its joy;

I sing to your volcanoes, to your meadows and flowers, that are like mementos of the greatest of my loves;

If I am to die away from you, may they say I am sleeping, and bring me back home.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

• 2 weeks later...

That's fascinating.

Some of your pictures are outstanding. You must have a nice peice of photography kit!!

To be fair, the copy is a good one and hats off to the forgers. Although they could destroy the industry they have some talent.

I think the general message is beware and buy from genuine outlets!

Ryan

• 1 year later...

Great thread :notworthy1: :thumbup: ... I havn't seen this one before.

There is a small mistake:

The fake even has “Pix” engraved under the clip, which some claim that fakes do not have:

True, here "Pix" is engraved. But Original pens do not have "Pix" engraved ... instead, this sign is three-dimensional coming "out" of the clip (I hope, you know what I mean).

I'm not aware of any fake that has a correct "Pix" sign under the clip.

Edited by fountainpende

www.fountainpen.de - the website for Montblanc and Astoria collectors

logo.gif

Hi,

Black Pelikan caps also have the red glow. Black M200 pens as well as other Pelikans have a clear red glow. I used to hold them up to the light to see how much ink was really left in them. The Parker Reflex also has the red glow, so I think it's actually kind of silly to think that the red glow is vitally important. Not all MB pens have the red glow either. I recently saw a pair of 146 pens in my shop that were completely opaque and had no red glow, so I think it isn't really such an important or useful indicator. Come to think of it, only the black ones will have this glow. Vintage Aurora 88P piston knobs also have this red glow. I've seen it in both Aurora 88Ps that I have owned. One has a celluloid grip section, and the other has a hard rubber grip section, and I have seen it in every 88P I've seen in my shop.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

nice info :) Good to know what to look for. Fake MBs are rife in "certain" countries I regularly visit (even to the point of being in legitimate boutiques).

Also the infrared photogs were great. I almost thought you pulled out a demo 149 for some reason :headsmack:

My two best writers.

http://s2.postimg.org/v3a1772ft/M1000_Black_L_R.jpg..........http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/1217/85960889.png

.........I call this one Günter. ......... I call this one Michael Clarke Duncan.

• 2 months later...