The Best

dd6847

There can be little doubt - especially among American collectors - that the best fountain pens (in my considered opinion) are as follows:

1921 Parker Duofold (U.S.A.) Era of the great fountain pen arrives

1924 Sheaffer Flattop (U.S.A.) Competition for greatness is joined

1929 Sheaffer Balance (U.S.A.) Step towards a streamlined future

1933 Parker Vacumatic (U.S.A.) Parker competes for the future

1941 Parker 51 Vacumatic (U.S.A.) Modern design comes of age

1948 Parker 51 Aerometric (U.S.A.) One of the best pens ever

1952 Sheaffer Snorkel (U.S.A.) Best pen ever race is joined

1956 Parker 61 (U.S.A.) Capillary filling arrives

1959 Sheaffer PFM (U.S.A.) Pen for Men lives for 10 years

1960 Sheaffer Imperial (U.S.A.) smaller PFM style - drops snorkel

1962 Parker VP (U.S.A.) the precursor to the 75

1963 Parker 75 (made in U.S.A. then in France) one of the greatest for 30 years

1966 Lamy 2000 (made in Germany) innovation at the highest level- still around

1976 Sheaffer Targa (U.S.A.) Great inlaid nib lives on in many finishes

1984 Parker Premier (made in France) 75 for the elite

1984 Sheaffer Connaisseaurs (made in U.S.A.and England) remake of classic

1991 Sheaffer Crest (made in U.S.A.) rebirth of the conical nib

1984 Waterman Le Man (made in France) Waterman produces a classic

1993 Cross Townsend (made in ?) Cross delivers a heavyweight

1993 Parker Sonnet (made in France) The Parker tradition is reborn in France

1995 Sheaffer Legacy (U.S.A.) Rebirth of PFM with a more correct name

2004 Cross Verve (made in ?) Incredible futuristic styling

The best two of all of the above are easily identified by the quality, sales, popularity (check out posts to this forum) and survivablility:

The Parker 51 (Vac & Aero)

The Sheaffer Snorkel (Valiant, Clipper, Statesman, Crest,& Sentinel)

That American fountain pens ruled the world is obvious

- sad that the only Fountain Pen still manufactured in the USA today is the Sheaffer Legacy (well worth owning).

A Parker 51 or a reconditioned Sheaffer Snorkel are the best writing instruments one can possess - they will continue to work flawlessly (with a little minor maintenance) thru the ages..

Edited by dd6847

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dd6847

• *david*

• Gerry

• antoniosz

I won't argue whether those are good pens, because they are; but your claim that they are "the best" is only valid within ten yards of your own house. There is lots of doubt about that list being "the best", especially on the more modern pens. And sales numbers don't show much about quality - otherwise McDonald's would be "the best" among restaurants. :rolleyes: :D

(Sales numbers do show that those pens were available and popular, but that's not the same thing.)

And sales numbers don't show much about quality - otherwise McDonald's would be "the best" among restaurants. :rolleyes: :D

Hey, I like McDonalds!

Unfortunately, when you have small kids, McDonalds, Burger King and Red Robin is about as good as it gets for dining...

TMann

There can be little doubt - especially among American collectors - that the best fountain pens were as follows:

1921 Parker Duofold

1924 Sheaffer Fla...

--snip--

Are you serious? You didn't mention Waterman even once!

What's the matter? Are you a Waterman hater?

George Kovalenko.

:ph34r:

rhrpen(at)gmail.com

Let me think about Waterman -

1920 Waterman #52

1927 Waterman Ripple No 7

1934 Waterman Patrician

1942 Waterman Hundred Year Pen

1984 Waterman Le Man

Sorry I have them all but none belongs on the list - few of the Waterman lever filler's survive - maybe an eyedropper can be had that still works. The ends crystallize and fall off of the hundred year pens. The lever fillers have an inherently defectivive mechanism thanks to Sheaffer patents. The Le Man is a pretty nice looking pen but I have never written with one even thought I have eight or nine of them somewhere around here. I have a Patrician but have never used it either - doubt if many would consider it - since they are hard to find and the plastics they are made of make them a poor investment.

Is Mc Donald's a target - does that represent an attack on America. Sorry but America made the best pens even if we have been put out of business by the wonderful culture coming from BIC. I did notice when in Paris -some of the best food (breakfast anyway) was in Mc Donalds.

Also I guess vintage MB and Pelikan are not in the picture, right?

Incidentally

1920 Waterman #52

Sorry I have them all but none belongs on the list - few of the Waterman lever filler's survive - maybe an eyedropper can be had that still works.

I have a rare 52 BHR with a rare intact lever/box. How much should ask for it :)

Sorry but America made the best pens even if we have been put out of business by the wonderful culture coming from BIC. 

Do you have a Made in USA Sonnet? I would love to have one. :rolleyes:

I guess you knew what you were getting into with such posts ;)

Edited by antoniosz

There can be little doubt - especially among American collectors - that the best fountain pens were as follows:

I think this thread might be less flame worthy if you tempered your proclaimation with " In my opinion.." :D

sad that the only Pen still manufactured in the USA today is the Sheaffer Legacy (well worth owning).

So any of the Bexley pens are not worth owning. Interesting...

Edited by Tytyvyllus

- sad that the only Pen still manufactured in the USA today is the Sheaffer Legacy (well worth owning). 

Ahem....have you not heard of Bexley? ;)

James P.

So here's what happened
While you were nappin'
I just went out for a snack
I was feelin' famished
And then I vanished...
But now I'm back

I love the Parker Sonnet Pens and the ones I have used write beautifully and do not have any of the problems I would associate with lesser fountain pens. I never said that my list of best pens were all pens manufactured in the U.S.A. However, I did think the position of these pens - in the hearts of Collectors - makes the U.S.A. the dominant manufacturer of the best fountain pens the world has ever known.

Definition of Best - writes immediately when picked up - even after sitting for a few days. Doesn't leak ink onto the rug or leave ink on the fingers. Writes consistently well from filling till empty. Survive the test of time, still perfectly good after 50 years after manufacturer - possibly with new sacs, and seals. Easy to repair - or not necessary to repair 50 years after manufacturer. Beautiful designs, quality parts, quality manufacturer.

Sorry about overlooking Bexley - I did not say any pen was not worth owning. But give me a break - Parker, Sheaffer, Bexley - most collectors would grab the Parker Premier or the Sheaffer PFM.

Sorry I left out the Parker Premier (1984) - now that was a bad mistake - and yes they are manufactured in France. The Parker Premier and the Parker Sonnet are the last two Parker's which seem true to the great designs of the Parker Pen Company.

Edited by dd6847

Of course we are giving you trouble, but you asked for it .... :)

But how about vintage MBs or Pelikans?

I can think of many solid, dependable Japanese pens that really fit your definition.

I can also imagine Andy will show up to give you a shout or two about his favorite CS...

Is Mc Donald's a target - does that represent an attack on America. Sorry but America made the best pens even if we have been put out of business by the wonderful culture coming from BIC.

No, of course McDonald's is not a target - I was merely showing you that your logic was not quite right. I don't want to attack America. I want to attack the logic you just misused, that's all. ;)

To use another example, going by numbers sold, Bic would have to be a far, far superior pen to a Snorkel. Obviously that's silly - showing that sales numbers have very little to do with quality.

1920 Waterman #52

Sorry I have them all but none belongs on the list - few of the Waterman lever filler's survive - maybe an eyedropper can be had that still works.

I have a rare 52 BHR with a rare intact lever/box. How much should ask for it :)

I have FOUR :o, all filling and writing beautifully. Must be sitting on a goldmine ... :lol:

What about Mabie Todd/Swan? I suppose you may find the later UK production unworthy, but the earlier US models that I've seen work pefectly and look magnificent.

Edited by RichardS

Pelikans - not in Best list - wait a few years and the mechanism will fail. I had one 50 years old - sent it back to Pelikan for repair - sorry can not be repaired. The Pelikans piston fill mechanism will become useless with age. Better sell them on ebay now while they still work - if they still do.

Waterman #52 - definitely a Classic - but not in the Best list - poor lever filling mechanism - most did not survive a hardened sac. Doubt if the BHR have much value to anyone. Definitely will eject ink if slightly shaken - can mess up carpets if not careful with them. Nice Flexible nibs - I find Sonnet nibs flexible enough for me.

Japanese Pens - Pilot has made some nice pens. Sailor probably makes nice pens also but too expensive for me to try. Neither has been a big hit in U.S.A. Do not believe many American Collectors are interested in them.

Best List is from the outlook of American Collector more interested in the 1950's and 1960's pens - the Real Golden Age for the American Fountain Pen industry - as it tried to stay afloat in the world of disposable ball points.

The best pens currently available in my opinion are the Sheaffer Legacy I and II s currently very available on e-bay for less than $100. Made in U.S.A. - TD mechanism (with cartridge option - ugh!), Inlaid Nibs, PFM styling, beautiful Lacquer finishes. They may be the end of the era of American Dominance in the Manufacturer of fountain pens - did I forget Bexley again.

Look - this is simple. You are saying "My favorite pens are the best. Off the top of my head, I will make up reasons why other pens are not as good."

What's the point of that? So, they're your favorites. Thanks.

The best pens currently available in my opinion are the Sheaffer Legacy I and II s currently very available on e-bay for less than $100. Made in U.S.A. - TD mechanism (with cartridge option - ugh!), Inlaid Nibs, PFM styling, beautiful Lacquer finishes. They may be the end of the era of American Dominance in the Manufacturer of fountain pens - did I forget Bexley again.

And as for American collectors I am curious as to who exactly you represent as I consider myself an american and a collector and do have a different list than you do.

Yep you forgot Bexley again but at least you admitted that it is your opinion. I am sure other people will chime in comparing.

K

Edited by Tytyvyllus

Not to mention trying to send any 50 year old pen back to the manufacturer for repair! Come one, let's be realistic. 1950s and 1960s USA fountain pens are not repaired by the original manufacturers either...

A Pelikan with a failed piston mechanism can be repaired by any decent pen repair guy. I know, because I had a heirloom fixed for someone about two years ago, which was a 50 year old Pelikan. He actually has used it everyday since.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Wonder what that repair to the Pelikan cost. Funny Pelikan has not changed the mechanism in 50 years but they can not repair them. To repair a Sheaffer snorkel it takes replacement of the sac, and two seals which take around 45 minutes or less to do yourself - you do not need to send it to the manufacturer. As late as the early 90's Parker was fixing 40's 51 pens. The repair to the Sheaffer costs around $4.00 at most for parts. I do like the Pelikan clips and I have a few M800's around here somewhere but I would not put them on the Best list. The Lamy 2000 is another great pen and was very modern back in the 1970's when I first picked up a few of them in Germany. I believe Mr. Lamy started out with the Parker Pen Company in Janesville, Wisconsin before setting up the innovative line of Lamy Pens in Germany.

I do not believe there are a lot of SWAN s (Mabie Todd) in the U.S.A. I believe they were manufactured here back in the 20's. I once had a solid gold (9K) made in England which I traded for my first Big Red Duofold Pen and Pencil set - I wish I had kept the SWAN pen but I was not sure I could fix the twist filler.

Edited by dd6847