Conway Stewart - Churchill

SHK

Here is my review of a great fountain pen the CS Churchill.

Since the beginning of this year I have investigated a lot time to find a fountain pen that fits to me.

Now I know almost every seller and brand worldwide and I learned a lot about fountain pens as well.

Before I continue I should say that I owned a Pelikan (M1000, M805), Sailor 1911, Parker Premier Black Edition and all nibs had an F grad. It’s because I have to draw a lot of circuit schematics, write equations and do calculus. That’s why I prefer F. The Sailor was too small for me but it has a very very fine line. The Pelikan’s are nice pens but uncomfortable because the section is to short and the brass mechanism of the piston makes it pretty heavy at the rear. The Parker Premier is a modern and functional fountain pen. I have done numerous writing examples at local dealers to get an impression of writing behavior. I have tried Montblanc’s but somehow I am not getting familiar with this brand. Maybe I don’t have the Montblanc spirit.

The reason why I finally sold my Parker was because my flavor changed over the time. All of my pens have been modern classic black pens. Now I wanted fountain pens with a touch of vintage like flecked or swirl patterns and manufactured under modern high quality standards. With Conway Stewart I found a fountain pen manufacture who achieves my needs. With Edison Pen Co. I found a second brand which I like as well.

At a first glance at the Conway Stewart homepage the Churchill was impressive. Here I can say that the pen dimension guide on the CS homepage is very helpful.

I have done a drawing with the given dimension to have an approximately image of this pen. At that time I could not evaluate the weight of the pen in relation to the size of the pen. But now I can say that the relation of pen weight to size makes this pen perfectly balanced. I also noticed the shape of the barrel. The diameter is increasing until the last third of the barrel. Honestly I have been a little skeptical because of this. But looking at it a second time and under different aspects the pen has a beautiful overall shape. Uncapped the pen has a length of 138mm and together with the straight reduction in diameter of the section the pen is easy to handle and very comfortable for writing. There is no tiredness or cramping even writing over a long period.

I have ordered two CS fountain pens. The second pen “was” a LE Duro Heritage. Both nibs write just out of the box without any ifs and buts and are perfectly aligned. For a couple or reasons I like the nib. Because of the initials, the complete brand name, and it’s decent. Just simplicity. The nib is not as big in size as a Pelikan M1000 or Montblanc 149 but it fits to the complete design of the pen. Both nibs are smooth and do a wet line. I can also say that the gold nib is smoother than the two tone gold nib. I think this is because of the additional treatment to achieve the two tone. This experience I made as well with other two tone gold nibs. I actually prefer the single tone gold nib.

There are two options for filling systems: lever filler which gives the Churchill the vintage spirit or a c/c. My decision went to the lever filler to have the vintage touch. I have read a lot of reviews about the lever filler system, but I have not been disappointed with my decision. It works flawless and I’m waiting like a small boy for the next refilling time. Cheese.

As mentioned I had a LE Duro Heritage. This fountain pen has a pretty cool pattern and is a stunning pen as well but I’m not comfortable with the section when writing. The section of the Churchill is more comfortable to me and I like to write with this pen as much as I can. So I called CS to ask if it is possible to exchange the Heritage to a Churchill in classic black. No problem at all. Paying the price difference and sending costs and everything is fine at the end and a very very happy customer as well. Now the Heritage is on its way back to Plymouth. At this point I want to point out the kindness and courtesy of two members at CS namely Linda and Kayleigh. In future when I will order my next CS I will do a phone call for ordering. I prefer to speak instead of click click.

This fountain pen is actually one of the best fountain pens I have seen. I’m very pleased and comfortable with my Churchill. Not only it’s a stunning or gorgeous pen it’s a pen which provides a contribution to the world of the writing culture. I think with keeping their roots to vintage fountain pens and manufacturing with modern high quality craftsmanship is the future of Conway Stewart.

Regards

Sascha

post-66470-0-57723500-1305924313.jpg

post-66470-0-53584500-1305924339.jpg

post-66470-0-52334300-1305924352.jpg

post-66470-0-08802500-1305924369.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SHK

• mjchuang9

• georges zaslavsky

• Brian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gorgeous pen indeed. Nice review, enjoy the pen in good health.

Parker VS (rust)

Parker "51" aerometric (navy grey)

Sheaffer Snorkel Saratoga (burgundy)

Sheaffer Imperial IV Touchdown (green)

As I replied in another thread, I have the same Churchill but a B nib. The nib is not precisely aligned(but not scratchy) and wet. (actually a little overflow to me).

Edited by mjchuang9

As I replied in another thread, I have the same Churchill but a B nib. The nib is not precisely aligned(but not scratchy) and wet. (actually a little overflow to me).

Hello mjchuang9,

have you thought to send the pen back?

I have a good experience with the service at CS.

Maybe one phone call away... (or email)

I had the same problem with the F nib of he Pelikan M805.

Since Pelikan is manufacturing their own nibs again the have some problems with the nibs.

I sent it back and received it perfectly back again.

I can understand when you are not enyoing your pen completely because of the nib.

Regards

Sascha

Thank you for the wonderful review and that is one great looking pen. Earlier this year I was considering of purchasing a Churchill torn between classic black or classic green. Your review has renewed my interest again.

My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/lifestyle/logo.jpg

Thanks for the review of what is a nice pen. All my CS pens, including my Churchill have been back to jolly old England for service. In the case of the Churchill more than once. I have the lever filler, which is far from perfect. I've also replaced the sac twice myself due to tiny holes made by the end of the bar. CS pens can be very beautiful and except for the filling mechanisms are well made. The nibs are near perfect. The prices, however, are too high and the customer service perfunctory. To avoid many of the very common CS problems, according to my CS dealer and my experiences, people should go for cartridge/converter fillers. Anyway, they must be compelling writers otherwise I'd have given up on mine long ago!

Thanks for the review of what is a nice pen. All my CS pens, including my Churchill have been back to jolly old England for service. In the case of the Churchill more than once. I have the lever filler, which is far from perfect. I've also replaced the sac twice myself due to tiny holes made by the end of the bar. CS pens can be very beautiful and except for the filling mechanisms are well made. The nibs are near perfect. The prices, however, are too high and the customer service perfunctory. To avoid many of the very common CS problems, according to my CS dealer and my experiences, people should go for cartridge/converter fillers. Anyway, they must be compelling writers otherwise I'd have given up on mine long ago!

Hello jandrese,

like mentioned in my review I've been a little bit skeptikal because of the lever filer.

But I wanted to have the vintage touch so I gave the lever filling system a chance.

Till now everything is fine, but I don't know what the future will bring.

I hope without any trouble.

It's like always in life the same product can be hexed and praised at the same time by two different persons.

The price...

By my investigation I saw that a lot of fountain pens even the Conway Stewart's too

are significant cheaper at the states as here in Germany.

Fountain pens in this category are not cheap anyhow.

Prices in this category are very subjective because we are talking here about "luxury" fountain pens

and we know Conway Stewart is at this sector at home.

And the price for luxury porducts is determined by your flavor and extravagance and of course the rareness.

It's very hard to measure. When it should be efficent a Lamy Safari would be just the right choice.

But the most of us want THE SPECIAL FOUNTAIN PEN so we have to pay the price.

Thanks for your reply.

Sascha

I really do not like cartridge/converter filler,so I decided to take an adventure to lever filler. I still think piston filler is the best filling system.But after trying lever filler myself and reading the article of Stuart Williams on pentrace, I would add scores on lever filler. Lever filler is not precise as piston filler, however it can move the balance center to the front which is good for writing. You will hardly feel tired after long time writing. CS service is good , maybe I will contact to Kayleigh later to talk about flow problem. Compared to 149, Churchill is wetter. CS's nib is much softer than MB's,maybe even softer than Danitrio's, so CS's nib tends to write wetter. That is what I think. Churchill brings me a whole new feeling about writing. It is on the other end from the flex Aurora 88 which is my another favorite. I enjoy them as well as 149. By the way, Churchill is cheaper than 149,yet offering the same writing pleasure and the jade like dark green is so wonderful. Germany's precision can not replace England's elegance.

Edited by mjchuang9

A thorough review of a very fine pen. If my pen purchasing budget were not exhausted at the moment I'd be rushing to get one. Thanks for the inspiration.

"The cultured man is the man whose interior consciousness is forever obstinately writing down, in the immaterial diary of his psyche's sense of life, every chance aspect of every new day that he is lucky enough to live to behold!" - John Cowper Powys

Great review, and quite thorough. I have a Churchill LE with the lever filling system. No problems yet, hope you won't have any either.

Beautiful pen!

Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance

Beautiful pen!

Thank you.

Now I'm waiting for my second Churchill in classic black.

Also a lever filler and F nib.

I will do images with both Churchill's.

Sascha

I have the CS Churchill in Burgundy Blush which I love. I did originally get it in a BB nib, but with the wetness of the flow it was too broad for practical day to day use, and so CS very happily changed it for a B. I sold a MB 149 to free up some money to buy the Churchill, and it was the best thing I ever did.

Enjoy your gorgeous green one

I have the CS Churchill in Burgundy Blush which I love. I did originally get it in a BB nib, but with the wetness of the flow it was too broad for practical day to day use, and so CS very happily changed it for a B. I sold a MB 149 to free up some money to buy the Churchill, and it was the best thing I ever did.

Enjoy your gorgeous green one

Thank you. I'm very very pleased with my Churchill.

It's funny last week I have been at a local Montblanc store and testing a 149 in F and EF.

I have a F on my Churchill and compared it to the MB 149 F.

The CS nib is more fine than the MB 149 and most of all the line is clear.

Sascha

I still feel Churchill B is somehow overflow to me, but I do not want to change to M. I used to write F for over ten years until recently I prefer B after I met a Japanese master whose manuscript is beautiful and characteristic. MB 149 B nib is stubbish showing line variations and the flow is just wet but not too wet as Churchill. I own six 149s from EF to BB, including 2 B nibs especially one 75th B. MB's nibs do vary from each other due to handmade which means you can get a narrower F or broader F for example. Churchill is a special pen in modern pen world. His soft nib and color add fun in writing pleasure.

Edited by mjchuang9

... . MB's nibs do vary from each other due to handmade which means you can get a narrower F or broader F for example.

Hello mjchuang,

your above given statement is valid.

But I can await from a brand with this reputation like MB that the importants part of a fountain pen should be perfectly.

At least I'm awaiting this. So here should be some higher quality standards.

As I have been testing the 149 in F left and right from the line are some fusels and this is is not nice.

This was as well with the EF nib but not so intense.

Yesterday I was looking again for a Pelikan M1000 and have done a writing test and I can say that with a F nib I have a clear and clean line.

At this point I don't want to start a battle between MB and Pelikan.

But I'm awaiting a very high quality nib for fountain pens in this price category.

I know that my experience is in the field of stochastic not represantive enough but it's my experience up till now.

Thanks for your reply

Regards

Sascha

... . MB's nibs do vary from each other due to handmade which means you can get a narrower F or broader F for example.
Hello mjchuang, your above given statement is valid. But I can await from a brand with this reputation like MB that the importants part of a fountain pen should be perfectly. At least I'm awaiting this. So here should be some higher quality standards. As I have been testing the 149 in F left and right from the line are some fusels and this is is not nice. This was as well with the EF nib but not so intense. Yesterday I was looking again for a Pelikan M1000 and have done a writing test and I can say that with a F nib I have a clear and clean line. At this point I don't want to start a battle between MB and Pelikan. But I'm awaiting a very high quality nib for fountain pens in this price category. I know that my experience is in the field of stochastic not represantive enough but it's my experience up till now. Thanks for your reply Regards Sascha
Hi Sascha Thank you for your reply. In my experience,MB's nib quality is the best, the other is Namiki. But I prefer MB because of stubbish nibs and piston filling system. If you want every F writes like the same, you may consider Namiki, MB's nibs do vary but cannot say worse nib quality, although both manufactures's nibs are handmade. My 75th 149 B nib write like broader M,so I picked up another normal 149 B which write with line variations, a dream B nib. I start to doubt why I should spend extra money to buy so many limited edition pens. At the moment I have to write F ,I choose 149 EF or Pelikan 1931 LE. No matter M1000,M800 or 100 series , F writes smooth and narrower than MB, but 149 EF shows great line variations. So it is up to you. I just like green pens,so I picked up a Danitrio Genkai last year,and a Churchill this year. Edited by mjchuang9

A very impressive writing implement. I may buy one.

Intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

superb pen congrats :thumbup: and thanks for sharing :notworthy1:

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time